Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered by Irrationable
Started on: 05-21-2015 12:46 AM
Replies: 272 (12360 views)
Last post by: SebFGT on 08-24-2022 09:23 PM
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2016-2017 EDIT: Following a hiatus from recovering wheels, I have started offering my recovery service once again. My new sale thread with current options and pricing can be found HERE . This sale thread will remain to show off examples of my past work, and hopefully provide customers with some ideas as to the style they would want a wheel done.

With the arrival of summer break and the free time that it affords, I have decided to move forward with offering a steering wheel recovery service. I have already recovered wheels for several other members here on the forums and have received very positive feedback. For the time being I am only offering this recovery service for the three-spoke GT wheels, but I am currently working on a template for the four-spoke SE wheels.

Recovery costs $150 + shipping for a single wheel, or $290 + shipping for two

I currently have black, beechwood, and Indy leather on hand. If there is a demand for it, I can also get a hold of brown or dark saddle leather, but these will require a deposit before I go out and purchase the leather. Another option for those of you looking for more unique colors (or a two-tone wheel) is to purchase your own leather from Mr Mikes or another retailer and send it in along with your wheel. Should you decide to go this route I will gladly offer a $10 discount, as it removes some of the material cost on my end.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 12-07-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Below are some examples of my past work

Black Leather with a pebbled texture (currently in stock)

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 06-04-2015).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Beechwood Leather (limited quantity available)

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Mr. Mike's midnight leather (smooth grain. leather sent by customer)

Mr. Mike's #13 tan (leather sent by customer)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's some really nice work.
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am one of Alex's first customers. The picture is the wheel he did installed. I can definitely attest to the quality of his work. There is nothing better than driving without the brown goo all over my hands and clothes and it looks fantastic! His price is great and with a quick turnaround.
-Robert
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

That's some really nice work.

Thank you!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Robertzep2:

I am one of Alex's first customers. The picture is the wheel he did installed. I can definitely attest to the quality of his work. There is nothing better than driving without the brown goo all over my hands and clothes and it looks fantastic! His price is great and with a quick turnaround.
-Robert

Thanks Robert! The wheel looks even better installed in your car.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work! Super interested!!! Would you be able to do black leather with blue stitching if I supply the thread? I would want it to match the Mr.Mikes seats I'm going to be ordering soon.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 05-21-2015).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Very nice work! Super interested!!! Would you be able to do black leather with blue stitching?

I could do that very easily. I already have the black leather, and getting the blue thread wouldn't be an issue at all.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I tried to sneak in an edit before you responded! :P

Either way, if you can get blue thread or if I send you the same thread used to make my seats, I'll be sending you a PM soon!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Sorry I tried to sneak in an edit before you responded! :P

Either way, if you can get blue thread or if I send you the same thread used to make my seats, I'll be sending you a PM soon!!!

Ha, I just send you a PM regarding the thread color.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 05-21-2015).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you willing to sell just the covers for the do it yourselfers? I for one would be interested in purchasing one.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 05-21-2015).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Are you willing to sell just the covers for the do it yourselfers? I for one would be interested in purchasing one.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable offering a kit like that. The wheels require some stretching and finessing for proper fitment which varies from wheel to wheel and depending on the leather that is being used (particularly when doing the spokes and thumb notches). Getting it just right requires quite a bit of practice. I'd hate to sell a kit and have a customer not get the best possible results.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
I recovered mine a few years ago but never made a template for the spokes area. I've been thinking it's time to do it again. Thanks
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wheel in need of your skills.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

I have wheel in need of your skills.

And I would be more than happy to put those skills to work for you!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I understand. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
I recovered mine a few years ago but never made a template for the spokes area. I've been thinking it's time to do it again. Thanks

I actually don't use a template around the spokes myself. I leave around half an inch of excess around the "supposed" location of the spoke, then stretch mark and trim the leather once the stitching around the inner circumference between the spokes is complete. This allows me a little wiggle room when it comes to getting the thumb notches and the seam on the back just right

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex recovered my wheel and it is excellent! He does great work with attention to detail. If your on the fence about getting your wheel re-done, don't hesitate. Well worth the money!

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To all of you that have messaged me over the past few days, thank you very much for your interest and complements! I have responded to all PMs (if you haven't gotten a reply for whatever reason, feel free to shoot me another message, it may have gotten lost in the fray).
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of discount if you already have the material? And what sort of turn around to have the wheel shipped back? You can definitely pencil me in, but I'd like to wait a few months or so, until I get it running
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

What kind of discount if you already have the material? And what sort of turn around to have the wheel shipped back? You can definitely pencil me in, but I'd like to wait a few months or so, until I get it running

If you provide the leather, I offer a $10 discount. However, I strongly advise that you make sure your leather is automotive grade (UV treated to prevent fading) and is at least 1mm thick. Normal turn around time is roughly 3-4 once I receive the wheel. I ship back using the USPS priority mail, which takes 2 business days to arrive.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
need a cheap wheel from someone I can send to Alex to redo. who knows how long it will be before I actually take mine off.............
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

If you provide the leather, I offer a $10 discount. However, I strongly advise that you make sure your leather is automotive grade (UV treated to prevent fading) and is at least 1mm thick. Normal turn around time is roughly 3-4 once I receive the wheel. I ship back using the USPS priority mail, which takes 2 business days to arrive.

Alrighty. I have the mr mikes steering wheel specific leather. I suppose I can have you do it while I have the cradle out of the car, so maybe around the beginning of July
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Alrighty. I have the mr mikes steering wheel specific leather. I suppose I can have you do it while I have the cradle out of the car, so maybe around the beginning of July

That works for me! Just shoot me a message whenever you're ready to send it out and I'll provide you with shipping and payment information.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by Grantman:

need a cheap wheel from someone I can send to Alex to redo. who knows how long it will be before I actually take mine off.............

Ha, it makes things a little more difficult when you don't have a spare and have to take the car out of commission. I believe there was a member who was selling an old GT wheel for around $40. If I can find the listing in the mall I'll PM you with a link.
L.I. Fieros

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L.I. FierosSend a Private Message to L.I. FierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grantman, I probably have an extra GT wheel or 2 laying around. I even have a bare core that I unwrapped and cleaned. I'll check this weekend and let you know. If you're interested I could just send two wheels down to Irrationable from here (one being mine that I'd like redone) and then you just send me payment for the extra wheel. Then he ships it off to you when done. I figure shipping from NY to NC for two wheels will be around $16 so how about $38 for the wheel shipped (works out to $30 for the wheel and $8 for 1/2 the shipping costs)?
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L.I. Fieros:

Grantman, I probably have an extra GT wheel or 2 laying around. I even have a bare core that I unwrapped and cleaned. I'll check this weekend and let you know. If you're interested I could just send two wheels down to Irrationable from here (one being mine that I'd like redone) and then you just send me payment for the extra wheel. Then he ships it off to you when done. I figure shipping from NY to NC for two wheels will be around $16 so how about $38 for the wheel shipped (works out to $30 for the wheel and $8 for 1/2 the shipping costs)?

that would be perfect!! when you know you have an extra wheel pm me your paypal.
kriswinner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kriswinner:

PM sent.

PM replied to
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
After several inquiries, I have decided to offer the option to have your rusted/tired wheel spokes refinished while I have the wheel stripped down for new leather.

For an additional $20, I will drill out the rivets and disassemble the wheel before sanding away the old paint and rust. I then etch the spokes (as well as the splined hub, if needed) with phosphoric acid before repainting them. I will also provide the proper sized countersunk screws and locking nuts to reassemble the wheel, hub and plastic trim.

While not every wheel will require this service, I realize that others will want to ensure that their spokes match the quality appearance of their new leather.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 05-28-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
L.I. Fieros

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L.I. FierosSend a Private Message to L.I. FierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grantman - PM sent with pics of my extra GT wheel so you know what it looks like. Oh yeah, came off an 88GT. I think it's in very good condition, just needs leather.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to get my Indy wheel redone this fall.
Can you get the correct shade of leather? (not my pic)

INDY armrests use a fancy stitch as well... Mine need new leather.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-30-2015).]

DeckGod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeckGodSend a Private Message to DeckGodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please advise contact information including address to send steering wheel.
I have an 88 gt that needs a rebuild.
Thanks Paul
pmantei@shaw.ca
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeckGod:

Please advise contact information including address to send steering wheel.
I have an 88 gt that needs a rebuild.
Thanks Paul
pmantei@shaw.ca

Just send you an email with the information!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
So, quick question for all of you. Are there any of you who would be interested in getting an Indy wheel recovered? I have a member who has offered to sell me a full hide of Indy-matched leather in the correct factory color before they leave the forum in a few weeks. While I realize what an opportunity this is, I am reluctant to purchase such a large quantity of leather knowing how few Indy fieros are out there. If you have an Indy wheel and know for sure that you would want to have the wheel recovered, let me know within the next few days so that I may make my decistion.

-Alex
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can find a way to match the stich in the armrests I may be interested in a wheel/armrest/shiftknob combo.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, quick question for all of you. Are there any of you who would be interested in getting an Indy wheel recovered? I have a member who has offered to sell me a full hide of Indy-matched leather in the correct factory color before they leave the forum in a few weeks. While I realize what an opportunity this is, I am reluctant to purchase such a large quantity of leather knowing how few Indy fieros are out there. If you have an Indy wheel and know for sure that you would want to have the wheel recovered, let me know within the next few days so that I may make my decistion.

-Alex

YES,, I would.. I got linked to this thread from a thread started by fierosound..
As he asked first, I'd like wheel need arm rest redone.. I'll just need to find another GT wheel.. so I can drive mine while the "new" one was being recovered.. Already have spare arm rest.
does that make it easier..
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, quick question for all of you. Are there any of you who would be interested in getting an Indy wheel recovered?

-Alex

I'm more interested in the arm rests and shift knob... no one offers that service in Indy leather that I'm aware of.
Edmonchuck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdmonchuckClick Here to visit Edmonchuck's HomePageSend a Private Message to EdmonchuckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I am definitely interested in the wheel recover. Beechwood.

PM me with the shipping details. If you can do non-Indy armrests...I'd be all over that...

I do have some Mr Mikes seats and he tried to match the beechwood as best he could. I could have him ship that leather. I'll have to go look at the car, it is still in storage.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock