Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! by Fie Ro
Started on: 07-21-2003 07:25 AM
Replies: 717 (103684 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-31-2016 03:07 AM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In this thread I will tease you with some features of the upcoming GTR

About 2 years ago I decided to paint my Fiero. At that time I thought it was a good time to do the body mods before painting. I saw some nice mods on this forum and I had several ideas of my own. Finally (designing your own parts takes hours, days,weeks, months etc!) I am in the process of switching the modified bodypanels to my Fiero. about 75% is on the car, except the rear Altezza lights, frontbumper and roofscoop (next weeks). All parts are still in primer and without grills.

Here are first some "can you guess what this is" pictures! Lets play the game! enjoy

------------------

http://members.lycos.nl/fierofiero/html/fiero.html

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT soon to be GTR /Honda Altezza taillights/cupspoiler/M3 sideskirts/roofscoop/custom front/front hoodscoop+detailing
1969 Chevy Suburban

*edited for links*

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 07-21-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a decklid with a Mustang scoop and the vents molded in.

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mustangscoop: Yes
Vents molded in: No

another vent molded in? maybe

this vent is named after some race-series

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT soon to be GTR /Honda Altezza taillights/cupspoiler/M3 sideskirts/roofscoop/custom front/front hoodscoop+detailing
1969 Chevy Suburban

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so we have the decklid with mustang scoop and some sort of molded in vent -
then a molded in front hood vent -
and a front bumper extension of some sort?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I will give the answer on the first picture:

nascar vents molded in, inline with the stock vents (and functional)!

Kohburn: you are right about the first 2 but doesn't the 3rd looks more like a rearbumper? ;D

------------------

1969 Chevy Suburban

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you made a rear bumper that the exhaust tips actually go through and not under then I want some pictures!!!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kohburn: this might be your lucky day

Remember: This is without paint, racing mesh and the 4 new 4" tailpipes:

here you will see some more:

While I am at it : modified Meechamscoop (removed 2 ribs) and molded to the original skirts a set of M3 sideskirts.

* but there's more *

Do you like it so far?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
love it - make me a rear bumper
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks awsome ....I think I wet my self.he,he,he...........
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
knowing me tho, I would have a trailor hitch poking through the center mesh section
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kohburn: your bumper will be ready next week, soon enough?
it is trailer-hitch compatible

I might make a mold of it though. I might HAVE to make a mold because I am not completely satisfied about the "smooth" seams holding up as everything is molded into a standard bumper. I am driving it daily so weak points will become clear soon. For the front I will make a mold for sure...

the front hood scoop/vent:

do you see the little joke in this one? :

------------------

1969 Chevy Suburban

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

kohburn: your bumper will be ready next week, soon enough?
it is trailer-hitch compatible

I might make a mold of it though. I might HAVE to make a mold because I am not completely satisfied about the "smooth" seams holding up as everything is molded into a standard bumper. I am driving it daily so weak points will become clear soon. For the front I will make a mold for sure...

you should make molds - i'm sure a fabricator would be interested in purchasing it if there were enough people interested in it.

I was expecting all 4 places to be open.. any plans for this?

lol - looks like it'd get used as a handle

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 07-21-2003).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you should make molds - i'm sure a fabricator would be interested in purchasing it if there were enough people interested in it.

* I am considering it but I am changing things all the time during the process, there are always issues when working on it... And parts have to be compatible with original parts OR sold as a complete kit so thats something to look into later.....first it will take some more hours to get the car finished and painted

I was expecting all 4 places to be open.. any plans for this?

* No. First I wanted a vent like the opel Speedster so I divided the front in proportional 4 grids (2 of the headlightcovers, cut out the 2 middle pieces. But with a horizontal mesh there would be too much water coming in so I was fiddling with the 2 pieces and put them back (with an angle)and this is the result. Its the first part I made. I would make it different now the rest is almost finished

lol - looks like it'd get used as a handle

*yup!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

* No. First I wanted a vent like the opel Speedster so I divided the front in proportional 4 grids (2 of the headlightcovers, cut out the 2 middle pieces. But with a horizontal mesh there would be too much water coming in so I was fiddling with the 2 pieces and put them back (with an angle)and this is the result. Its the first part I made. I would make it different now the rest is almost finished

hmm can't visualize this - have any pics that'd help?

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
way to go dutchy
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool rear bumper and grnd/fx...

------------------
Said Hulki, "You had to look at the Fiero not as
a car, but as a process."

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont like it, not one bit...as a matter of fact you're better off just shipping that garbage over here to me . Very sweet looking modifications, you've done some great glass work on your car. Keep it up!

Steven Rossi

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love it! The NACA ducts, the deckscoop (got it), the rear fascia, and the side skirts (got 'em too, but installed the other direction).

I very much like what you're doing with the car - I'd really like to hear more about what/how you made the rear bumper (materials, etc).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want M3 skirts.... what car did you get them for? where did you buy them?

Kyle

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very original rear bumper! Your fiberglassing work is incredible, and you chose an excellent variety of kits and scoops to mix together.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the back deck lid the best very good idea to help fan out the flames when it ignightes.....j/k. But honestly VERY nice back deck lid.
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great replies! It gives me the courage to go on and finish it.

minngreen: I already saw you have the sideskirts too. The rearbumper was...eh almost "sculpted" I started with a frame of wood and lots of foam(board) and than the sculpting began. After that I glassed everything in and the sanding filling sanding filling sanding and sanding began. I have made some changes, last addition were 2 leftover pieces of the sideskirts which I had in my hand when looking at the rear bumper.....well they are in the midsection now

KRMfiero: The M3 skirts are a universal set. You cut a piece off to make them fit. There were 2 end caps with scoops with them but I didn't use them (didn't look right). Then I took my original skirts off and molded the M3's to them. They make the bodyshape more fluid and modern...

When I am finished I will write down the whole process of idea/planning/building the several parts so people can see whats involved and maybe use this info for their own projects.

Because it is fun to make your own parts!

Still not everything is on the car but I will update this thread when there's progress (and pictures

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT soon to be GTR /Honda Altezza taillights/cupdiffusor/M3 sideskirts/roofscoop/custom front/front hoodscoop+detailing
1969 Chevy Suburban
Rate me if you can!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm extremely impressed... especially with the rear bumper- every time I look at that pic, it makes me want to go out and get started on a new project!

As for the side skirts... there was/is more discussion here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031215.html (I just got mine installed on the car Tuesday night before I left for Michigan... only a touch of blending left to do).

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have missed the thread about the M3 skirts. Thanks. I see yours have an upper ridge. Mine was flat and I cut off about an inch from the top part ( It still is more than an inch lower at the wheels!) But the rearbumper is lower also and I will try to keep the front bumper in line with the rest of the body. I still haven't had any problem with those speedbumps which we have a lot overhere so thats a +.

What I did: I took off the originals, sanded them. Put one layer of resin and polyester cloth on the originals and immediately put on the M3's with clamps. I thought a layer of the polyester cloth would be helping for maximum contact surface (the M3's were a bit rough on the inside)
later I filled the seam on the top ridge and front/rear side. It is smooth and seems to hold well.

The only problem is the M3's are more pointing outwards because the original is pointing outwards a bit. I didn't expect that! But after painting everything should look more uniform.

About painting:
I was going for a flashy color (like the orange of 1fst2M6) but with all those vents I am looking for a darker modern metallic (gun metal grey/ olive metallic) and a black roof section.

Is it true that a darker color "disguises" a bit of the smaller details? It would be nice you would discover those details only when you get closer to the car......

I dont want this car to be "over the top" but more classy....... So no stickertuning on mine! It is only getting a "GTR" sticker.

Oh BTW respect to Smooooooth Steve, he really is the King of Glassfiber and Filler

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT soon to be GTR /Honda Altezza taillights/cupdiffusor/M3 sideskirts/roofscoop/custom front/front hoodscoop+detailing
1969 Chevy Suburban
Rate me if you can!

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simply awesome, love the side skirts, someday....I will have a pair too.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, 0-60 low 8's. Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 85mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 3800 swap.

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you mind showing some more pics of your hood? Different angles/further away...

I like what you've done to the rear facia. I can only imagine the time spent sanding!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some of you guys are just flat out incredible !

That is some awesome work my friend.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive workmanship!

------------------

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the side skirts fiberglass or ABS? And approx. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 07-23-2003).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happened to notice the outward angle you mentioned prior to gluing mine up... so I actually removed all but the upper area (approx 1-2" depending on location) of the stock rocker before attaching them.

These are the only "finished" pics I currently have (need to take some with better light).

And they do sit quite notably lower... but amazingly I've never had them rub anywhere either (and my car has been lowered), even when running it hard at Waterford raceway last week!

BTW: I'd love to see your car finished in either of the modern dark metallics you mentioned... very exotic looking

vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok I will give the answer on the first picture:

nascar vents molded in, inline with the stock vents (and functional)!

Kohburn: you are right about the first 2 but doesn't the 3rd looks more like a rearbumper? ;D

That would be NACA.
http://www.up22.com/Aerodynamics.htm#NacaDucts
"NACA stands for "National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics" and is one of the predecessors of NASA. In the early days of aviation, NACA would mathematically define airfoils - e.g., NACA 071 - and publish them in large reference texts, from which aircraft manufacturers would select for their specific applications. As you probably know, an airfoil is a compromise of lift versus drag, and this relationship changes with the airflow velocity, density, etc, so no one airfoil is optimal for all conditions. As to the NACA duct, I'm trying to say this without sounding professional, but here it is in case you're interested.
The purpose of the duct is to increase the flowrate of air through it while disturbing the aerodynamic boundary layer around the fairing as little as possible. When you increase the cross-sectional flow area of the duct, you decrease the static pressure and make the duct into a sort of vacuum cleaner, but without the drag effects of a plain scoop. The reason why the duct is very narrow, then suddenly widens in a graceful arc is to increase the cross-sectional area, but not so quickly that the airflow separates and causes turbulence (and drag)."

------------------
84 Fiero Turbo Vortec 4300 Phantom GT
L35 block
Syclone Intake and ECM
T04B H3 Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/id/vortecfiero

"Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

[This message has been edited by vortecfiero (edited 07-23-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh Fie ro.. i think vortecfiero is right,,i think u should take all that hard work ,blood,sweat in to it and trash it...no no sorry i just think vortecfiero should find something better to crap about,,SINCE THIS GUY HAS DONE NOTHING TO MAKE THIS FORUM ABETTER PLACE..eh tough guy where is ur car..lets see this rust bucket???ik hou van de auto
L44_87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L44_87GTSend a Private Message to L44_87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

------------------
87 Fiero GT with a few mods

www.2m6performance.tk

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ducattiman, don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel...

Vortec Fiero was technically correct, but then again, so what? First off, I'd like to see his posting skills in Dutch, secondly, the vents look cool, and that's really all that it's about.

Fie Ro, thanks for posting your accomplishments. It definately makes me itchy to get another Fiero when I get back to California.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... Want to buy some nice "GTR" rear GT windows? I bought them at the 20th, but I'm not sure if they're going to go with the car or not yet... They're reproductions, and have the "GT" logo, but it says "GTR" with the R in the usual red writing. I may sell them at some point, I need to get the car in one piece to see what they'll look like!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in super-slow-motion progress. Only a Miracle will get me to the 20th in my Fiero now. Or a time machine...)

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant wait to see that thing when it is painted all one colour.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam, No Cat and Nitrous. Nawzz babeee!!!!
www.david.westcoastfieros.com

pred1tor83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEHEH my business i own is regestered in texas with a tax id number and it is GTR

Global Tech Racing.

Sorry i know its out there but its late and i am pissed at my broken fiero.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the only picture of the finished hood I have around for now:

There is no cutting of the front trunk required. I have the sunroof and I still like to be able to store it up front.

About the NACA ducts: They may be used in an other way. BUT I have tested this configuration in my windtunnel and it shows 10HP extra at the rear wheels!
that's enough for me!

GTR windows. I still have to order a set (from Doug/Fierowarehouse?) but I have designed my own GTR logo so I will look for a set without logo....
If someone has a nice set of new GT windows without logo for sale I might be interested!

Minngreen: thats a nice solution you have for your skirts! I hadn't thought of that. real clean. For now I keep mine this way but IF I am going to change it I know now how to do it! Thanks

The M3 skirts were fiberglass. They cost 205 euro (arout $200) which is quite normal for sideskirts.

------------------
1969 Chevy Suburban
Rate me if you can!

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Latest addition: TWIN TRUNK EXTENSIONS!

sorry, couldn't resist

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
double post

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 08-20-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock