Don Kraus's 427 LSX Update by Don Kraus
Started on: 06-08-2008 12:13 PM
Replies: 277 (39941 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 02-11-2016 03:08 PM
hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take my prior post back, they are directional and they are going the wrong way. At least they are in that picture, I don't know if you've corrected that since. Are you running Goodyear Tripletreds?
IP: Logged
ClayTonto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really interested in seeing what areas of the cradle/frame you have reinforced for the extra torque. Any chance of some elaboration or maybe some pics?
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are F-1's and are directional,I just through one on for the picture and picked the wrong side.It goes on the right side.

To reinforce the cradle we used a 1/4 inch plate on the right side of the cradle going all the way front to back and used it to mount the front engine mount.Then used 1/8 inch plate to connect the open areas on the cradle like the area by the parking brake cables and welded any unwelded spots on the frame and touched up any welds that didn't look strong.In other words we boxed everything in for strength.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you reinforce any parts on the car? ie: where the cradle mounts to the chassis in the front or strut towers ect. Thanks for the info.
Can't wait to see this monster run.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Claytonto,I didn't add anything to the strut towers or where it mounts on the firewall.On my Too Far Fiero I pulled a lot of wheelies and it never moved anything there, so I feel there isn't going to be more stress than that.Sometimes welding on things actually weakens it even though you add more iron.
Looks like you got a good project going there,Archies a good man to do the work.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I checked out some of your old threads and vids on "Too Far" and Wow, that thing launches hard. If you didn't break anything pulling the front wheels of the ground I don't think I have anything to worry about yet. Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see what that LSX is going to do.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this car, any updates?

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LSX looks like a winner! Hope to see more pictures soon
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alum block = LSx, not LSX.

A true LSX is a iron block.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

proof?
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You better let GM Performance know that, because they are still calling their LS series racing event the "LSX Shootout" and have called it that for years. No little "x" there, and the last time I checked, most all entrants were using aluminum blocks.

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 04-13-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little update here,I have wiring to do yet,but have it done far enough that this Sat I plan on firing it up for the first time.That should be interesting.Got a few pictures here with the car sitting on all four tires that I'm running on the car,so you can see its attitude.Also of the exhaust and rear tire.Theres also a picture of the front wheel with the maker,and thats the same maker of the wheel on the Huffaker IMSA.

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Don, I can't wait to see a pic of the car doing it's first wheel stand!

are you going to post a video of the first start? I would love to hear how the suppertraps sound on that setup.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saaaaaaaweet! That thing is really clean. What a wonderful build. Keep up the good work Don.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Paul,I started it for the first time yesterday and it was sweet.Fired right up with no leaks, nothing hitting anything,and the exhaust sounded great.No big fibrations from the engine,so the mounts worked out good,and the engine has a little give like I wanted it.Just have to finish the wiring for the gauges and put the dash and console back together and get it aligned.Then on the road for break in.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, Is this going to be the most powerfull street legal Fiero in the world?? I dont know of any other 600+whp Fieros.. I am not sure what kind of HP FieroX is making, but I suspect the LSX will make more power than his setup.. You must getting excited to get her on the road and see how she drives..

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don: Great install. Neat as a pin, powerful and good looking. I guess the thing that I would like to hear about is the way the car puts the power to the ground and the way that the cradle and car reacts to the torque.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Don Kraus:

Don, that project is really coming together... I am happy that FastFieros of Dallas ( Loyde Rascoe owner/operator/builder ) was able to help you in building part of your project goals.... a High HP High Torque application on an automatic 4T65eHD transmission.

Those LS7 manifolds are the answer to these transverse installs with keeping flow at the optimum. I will be producing those wedge plates soon if anyone needs one.

Motorplates and other parts associated with mating of the 4t65eHD in stock and ready for shipping.

http://www.FastFieros.com/projects
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

Those LS7 manifolds are the answer to these transverse installs with keeping flow at the optimum.
http://www.FastFieros.com/projects

When Archie was installing Troyboy's LS7 he discarded those manifolds in favor of headers ..I would have no problem running the stock manifolds flowwise

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the nice things about Don's engine build is he dyno'ed the engine before it left the builder. Some 600+ engine HP... Don can now chassis dyno when all the stuff is tweaked and the programming worked out to figure the lose's are, transmission, exhaust, his programming of engine management... If he is lucky, and all things are 'right', he will chassis dyno some number 590 + at the tires... My gosh, that is a big number....
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

One of the nice things about Don's engine build is he dyno'ed the engine before it left the builder. Some 600+ engine HP

Neither is Troy's car. #022 isn't leaving the building until it's dyno'd.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the car on the road for the first time yesterday after I had it alaigned.I'm still grinning ear to ear.I still have to update the engine computer for the latest updates,but it ran smooth and just wants to go.It was like riding a horse and kept yelling whoe,but it kept wanting to go.Just a light touch on the throttle and it puts you back in the seat right now.I don't know how I'm going to keep tires on this thing.I'm trying to take it easy to shake it down and have found a couple of things that need attention.I'm running too many volts(18) and I have to burp the engine some more.But thats it,so far so good.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's great news. I'm looking forward to seeing videos.

Are you bringing the car to the Dells show?

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 05-09-2009).]

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on being at the Dells show to see all the other neat builds.The LS7 that Archie put in should be very interesting,always nice stuff coming out of that shop.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm planning on being at the Dells show to see all the other neat builds.The LS7 that Archie put in should be very interesting,always nice stuff coming out of that shop.

Don

the Dells is looking better and better all the time at least 2 LS cars! I am going to cry with Joy
I look forward to seeing you there
D.

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful, I'm looking forward to seeing you there. With you, Troyboy's LS7 powered Fiero, and some other great cars this is going to be a show!

Edit: ^^^ Dean read my mind LOL, Were both excited.

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 05-09-2009).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got the car on the road for the first time yesterday after I had it alaigned.I'm still grinning ear to ear.I still have to update the engine computer for the latest updates,but it ran smooth and just wants to go.It was like riding a horse and kept yelling whoe,but it kept wanting to go.Just a light touch on the throttle and it puts you back in the seat right now.I don't know how I'm going to keep tires on this thing.I'm trying to take it easy to shake it down and have found a couple of things that need attention.I'm running too many volts(18) and I have to burp the engine some more.But thats it,so far so good.

Don

Man that sounds great Don, Your car is going to be one sick puppy .

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Troyboy,yours looks pretty hot too,has both looks and power.See you at the Dells.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dyno run yet?

www.fastfieros.com/projects < updated >
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congradulations Don.. You had some very tough competition and I was so glad to see you win one of the main voters chioce awards (big trophys).. In a way you won three trophys since your old car brought home 1st place as well beating out the Prezzzz.. Even though we were the only two in the competition he now has a goal for next year

Your wife was mentioning your trophy wall was full and now you need to start a second wall, I think she better clear the whole wall for all the new trophys you will be bringing home with that amazing car you have created..

Edit: My wife took this picture of you with a big smile recieving the big trophy...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Mr Ferrari (edited 06-01-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heading off to the Don Miller show tomorrow in Madison.Everything is working fine and just putting a few miles on it and working with getting the transmisson to shift the way I want it.The PCS computer is easy to work with.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice car. The "Most Extreme" Thanks for all the advice at the Dells. I hope to see you next year.

...and I can't wait to see some track action footage from this baby.

------------------
87 GT Tilt Clip-Widebody-RamAir-Fastback-GlassHatch Powered by SBC 383 6-speed w/ NOS
Build Thread

"Roads?...Where we're going, we don't need roads." - Emmett "Doc" Brown

jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don,

Gorgeous, as usual. You never disappoint. Don't really care what the dyno says but I'm dying to see a time slip.

Originally posted by Erik:

proof?

2008 GM Performance Parts Catalog, Page 262.

LSX Block p/n 19166454

"The LSX Bowtie blocks were introduced in 2007. They are cast from a more durable, stronger cast iron than production iron blocks. Stock bore size is 3.99" with .010 stock for honing to 4.000". This is the siamese bore block with a recommended max bore size of 4.200"."

The full description is on pages 272-273. You can also get it in a tall deck version p/n 19166097 that with machining can go to a 4.500" max stroke which with a 4.2" bore would make a 498 cid small block. With a 4" bore it would be 452 cid.

John Stricker
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Don,

I got my trunk side LS7 exhaust manifold adapter done finally. 20 new tools, and learn alot more about MasterCam again. Mine has very good angle to achieve port matching, and keep velocity on the exhaust gases ( I hope anyway )....

http://fastfieros.com/image...lsx_LS7_adapter1.jpg

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea when that monster will hit the track ?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,looking good,just so you don't kick it out so much that it hits the trunk when you put the engine in.It gets pretty close before the trunk kicks to the back where the muffler was.

I'm looking at getting it on the track in Sept or Oct.I want to get a few thousand miles on it first.Besides I need to let Fiero X keep the fastest title a little longer or he might get dispondent and want to build something else other than a Fiero like the last time. Just kidding Ryan.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don I am one step closer to you as of last weekend
but sadly a long way to go

I was able to get the mounts done with my mockup motor...
D.

I look forward to next year at the Dells with you
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dean,looking good.It was good to meet you and your neat car at the Dells.Had a good time talking to you and looking your car over.Everything takes time,don't rush it.It looks like you are using solid mounts and a manual transmisson.That means your CV joints and axles are going to take all the shock,make them strong.Things break when you have a lot of power and no give,just a word to the wise.Thats whey I use poly mounts and an auto transmisson.Good luck and stay in touch,if I can help in any way let me know.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds great Don. I am using Archies kit for the install and I will make the axles strong.
by the way the car we had at the Dells was Claytons car with the 383 set up the same way mine is.
I will keep in contact with you.
Dean
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay