Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  "concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
"concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) by Fie Ro
Started on: 10-30-2004 01:28 PM
Replies: 550 (109600 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 11-27-2018 06:07 PM
Yellow87FieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Yellow87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I can't believe it took so long for me too see this thread! It look's great! I'm having fun looking at all your inventive work.
IP: Logged
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2005 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sick Talent.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some testfitting in the fiero to check if the shifter is still dead center in 'neutral' (it is!) and to take measurements for a new subwoofer enclosure:

Finally got the glovebox-door mold fixed and pulled the CF piece today:

I really like the 3D look it has when light hits the piece! The real thing looks way better than the fake vinyl stuff imo...

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT you are doing a great job

a little hint apply at least 6 layers of carnuba wax to the raw forms before making the molds and you will eliminate the sticking problems

are you spraying gell coat to the parts before applyingthe fiber glass

Thank you Master of DIY! Yes I am applying/polishing several layers of carnauba wax (meguiars mold release wax) I also have some other stuff in a spraycan and some stuff which is called B-film..tried several approaches..I just think the raw (mdf) forms are too soft to pop them out easily...fiberglass/fiberglass dont cause problems nowadays. Maybe I should use more fiberglass/resin on the mockups. I am using gelcoat all the time for the molds and products (except with CF), I also mix it with a tint color so its easier to check if the surface is right....oh well you never stop learning.

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 06-13-2005).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you fit and finish is excellent and keep up the great work this dash should look fantastic when finished
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have to pick a color for the painted parts for the interior....maybe something close to the hi-temp paint I am using for my new engine..:

..looking at this mockup gets me thinking about making another copy of the glovebox piece, cut some holes and call it an exhaust manifold cover...lol

hmm

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm partial to gun metal myself. Something about that shade (there is only one shade isn't there?) darker grey anyway, against chrome. Dark enough to let the chrome stand out without it having too much of a contrast. Depending on the color of your car, dark shades of blue and red work, but I still like gun metal...

------------------

There isn’t much better in this life than finding a way to spend a few hours in conversation with people you respect and love.
You have to carve this time out of your life because you aren’t really living without it.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2005 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not CF valve covers? Awww...

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

..looking at this mockup gets me thinking about making another copy of the glovebox piece, cut some holes and call it an exhaust manifold cover...lol

hmm

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2005 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
Not CF valve covers? Awww...

..thought about it, but the gasket side is quite complicated and I would never want to take such a risk messing with a valvecover anyway...I tried some little cover thingie though

Now this part didnt turn out how it should be. I could make a new piece but I still like a simple smoothed valvecover a lot more..trial and error...more CF will turn up somewhere else on the engine someday

Yellow87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Yellow87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you need to apply a release agent before laying up the carbon fiber on/in the mold? Just wondering becuase when they make carbon fiber parts at work if they don't use a release agent they can't get the part off the mold. If you found a way to make parts with out release agent I'm curious to know how.

Thanks,

Jason

Yellow87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Yellow87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?
FieroGTRwideboby

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro, I am doing a 3800 SC, how much would you want to make me a set of those? I am interested, let me know if you have time and want to. I know shipping will be terrible, but I love the CF valve cover caps.

Alex

------------------
There's two types of cars in the world, Fieros and everything else.

PFF
System Bot
Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!! How come I never saw this before.......It's the work that makes it so nice.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Yellow87FieroGT:
Do you need to apply a release agent before laying up the carbon fiber on/in the mold? Just wondering becuase when they make carbon fiber parts at work if they don't use a release agent they can't get the part off the mold. If you found a way to make parts with out release agent I'm curious to know how.
Thanks,
Jason

A good waxed and polished mold should do well...though I am experimenting with some stuff called "B-film" too.....like the name says it acts like a thin film layer which helps seperating the part from the mold. You can brush or spray it on and wash it off with warm water afterwards.

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:
Fie Ro, I am doing a 3800 SC, how much would you want to make me a set of those? I am interested, let me know if you have time and want to. I know shipping will be terrible, but I love the CF valve cover caps.
Alex

Thanks for the interest but I decided not to make/sell parts before I have finished everything I got myself into... Theres already 3 years of work in progress and I need to finish that first...hope you understand.
Maybe you can make them yourself...heres how I started:
a piece of MDF cut to size and smoothed a little at the edges

primer, wetsanding and waxing to get it smooth for taking a simple mold

You could even do some embossed logo thingie....

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work so far. Looking great
On the b film release agent it sounds like it is just a fancy name for PVA. Or Poly Vinyl Acetate. It also just gets wiped on or sprayed on and washes off with warm water. It is commonly used on new moulds for the first run after waxing the mould several times.

------------------

Yellow87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Yellow87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro & AusFiero -

Thanks for the release agent information - it will come in handy.

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OH

MY

GOD!!!!!!

That is just down right SEXY!!!!

------------------

www.FieroLoki.com

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got my TT vents and they look great! It took about 6 months to really get a set....sooo many searches, emails, ebay bidding etc etc. Now I got them and went to the parts store to find some matching tubing for the housing. First piece was bingo when testfitting a 90mm elbow piece. The vent just snaps in place! I think I just use them for the final assembly, after removing some ridges and excess material...here's the collage:

And a little mockup of its final position.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Why did it take so long for the Audi vent to arrive?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice. Why did it take so long for the Audi vent to arrive?

Actually this set took only a few days to get ...but its hard to snatch them because TT interior swaps are very popular for the VW tuners now. So it took a lot of time, new at the dealer they cost close to $100 a piece, go figure.
In the meantime I stripped my 'old' sub box and removed it for the last time to make a new template..

I have quite long arms so the aim is a good setup without too much obstruction...form follows function right?!..moving the speaker upwards already helps a lot...I ended up building a flimsy construction and some of the famous 2part urethane foam stuff for the mockup...it starts ugly but with some bondo and elbow grease it will get better

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2005 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW...$100 a piece! What a rip-off. I know I bought (4) new ones for maybe $200?
Chewy_bjj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2005 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chewy_bjjSend a Private Message to Chewy_bjjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crazy man. Its incredible watching you work. Makes me wanna go and look at my dash and see what I can do to it.
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2005 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

WOW...$100 a piece! What a rip-off. I know I bought (4) new ones for maybe $200?

Ack! Don't you hate it when people tell you things like this? This is one of the few threads that I really get excited about watching grow. You are doing a fantastic job. Good idea with the sub set up! My garage is finally starting to look like a garage as opposed to a storage space so it looks like I might try your idea soon. I've never worked with fiberglass before, but because of what I've learned here, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration. As far as the sub goes though, I'll have to see if there is something a little different to keep the stone throwers off my back.

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2005 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will not let this one fall...
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Do you want to try this on my car next?
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new updates? I love this thread
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I have been (update-) lazy lately...but I have pix now
I took out the plastic trim pieces for paint and started putting some stuff back. Its the right time to replace the rearspeakers and putting new carpet in. Added a few wires first for the extra overhead switches:

Bought a set of new 4x6 speakers but forgot the originals are really "thin" so I had to make a set of spacers:

I hope they still fit behind the panel... Recovering the speakergrills looked a pita so I decided to smooth them with the panel and use some of the mesh I used before...this was not planned but hey..

midconsoleframe painted:

Its hard to capture the color, it looks like a gunmetal version of the dark grey from the original interior but much more dramatic..lol ..reflection of the blue sky:

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001

The upper midconsole piece and armrest will be covered in vinyl later (tan/black)...I have to finish the subwoofer piece first to be able to combine some parts before covering...but Ive got some carpet to work on in the meantime

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff - I like it!
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy poop that all looks awesome!

BTW, theres a LOT of space between the rear speakers and the cover, so yours should fit fine with the spacers.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I guess the speakers will fit, I rounded the edges of the spacers too...we'll see after doing the carpet I'll put the rearpanels back.
I was a bit scared to do the carpet, even dug up the carpet pieces of my old fiero to act as a template to cut the new ones but decided this afternoon to do all the fitting in the car...today the driverside.(it will go over the original carpet)
So I took out: a piece of 1x2 meters of carpet, some beer, a knife...and the driver seat.

I must say it was easier than expected..started lining up one side with the midconsole..working down ..X where the seat studs push up and bolt it down..work it from there and cut corners

Put the 'old' stuff back because it is my daily driver.

Finally its starting to look better instead of worse!
PFF
System Bot
Codeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodemanSend a Private Message to CodemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW...absolutely amazing talent, i can only dream this will be made available to other fiero owners....awesome job man
foxxman25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxxman25Send a Private Message to foxxman25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just look through the whole topic. Looks good, keep at it.

------------------
Low 14 sec 99 Pontiac GTP, 3.2L V6 4 sp 86 Fiero GT

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is this a daily driver?
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering how you made the spacers for the 4x6's? I know what it looks like and I have an idea but just wondering.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

goatnipples2002

2055 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Just wondering how you made the spacers for the 4x6's? I know what it looks like and I have an idea but just wondering.
FieroFarmGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFarmGirlSend a Private Message to FieroFarmGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so whats the latest now that the long weekend is over?

bump

edit: now that i think of it.. im not sure the netherlands had a holiday this weekend! but there was a weekend none the less!

[This message has been edited by FieroFarmGirl (edited 09-06-2005).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roderick, looks amazing - reminds me that I NEED TO FINISH THE D*** HOOD! :-)
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking awesome! I cant wait to see it finished! Amazing work.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got all the carpet and trim done....finally it starts looking cozy in there
Doing the carpet at the passenger side:

But first I had to pull my old stereo gear:

Found some of my fiero gremlins

I'll reuse this setup because it still sounds and looks good to me

I will also reuse the panel but with some changes, I stripped off the vinyl and will smooth it and paint it in the new color later
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock