Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  "concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
"concept GTR" dash build-up...Fie Ro style! ;) by Fie Ro
Started on: 10-30-2004 01:28 PM
Replies: 550 (109574 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 11-27-2018 06:07 PM
roys88fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that looks totally sick! Mad props to you and a + for turning all your hardwork/planning into a reality. I hope to see some more pics of your GTR dash build soon! BTW keep up the good work, id buy u a beer but im not old enough and you wouldnt get anything done
-Roy

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

IP: Logged
shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your progress looks really good. I have to agree that the TT vents do look really good. Those are what I'm going to use on my custom dash (whenever I get around to finishing it ) Anyways, I found them online for $50 shipped. I can't find the website right now, but if I do, I'll post it. The cool thing about the TT vents, the outside ring is actually metal, and twisting it opens and closes the vents. Really cool. Good luck. I can't wait to see it finished.

Kris

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shop_rat45:
The cool thing about the TT vents, the outside ring is actually metal, and twisting it opens and closes the vents. Really cool.

Hey, I didnt knew they work like that! nice info I already wondered why the housing looked a bit big/long from a picture, I guess I do have to cut the maindash a little sometime....

I had a rough idea for the midconsole vent but during the day something better came up
Piece of junk aluminium

Now this was fun and very rewarding...!

Now I will need some of that mesh in the windscreen vent as well...

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks awesome so far. i have only two questions
how much weight does this add?
will it be removable?
plus for you!
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
Keep up the great work.

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

looks awesome so far. i have only two questions
how much weight does this add?
will it be removable?
plus for you!

These are only mockups, I will make molds and fiberglass/CF products so they will be light. I am planning to make it bolton as much as possible but a little trimming might be required in the vents areas as the audi vents appear to be quite deep. Theres no molding to the main dash, it should click/bolt in when finished. I try to use the stock brackets for mounting....

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds awesome. i wasn't sure where you were going with all the mdf
IaMtHeRuThLeSs1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IaMtHeRuThLeSs1Send a Private Message to IaMtHeRuThLeSs1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, looks friggin awesome. I'm amazed at some of the creativity on this forum.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

sounds awesome. i wasn't sure where you were going with all the mdf

Lol. All the mdf went in/outside the car many times...Since its flammable and testfitted in a Fire-o.....see the red bottle?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2004 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie ro if u are going to tell me this is still your daily driver, i am going to call you a modifying master !

Is it ?

Great job by the way.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Fie ro if u are going to tell me this is still your daily driver, i am going to call you a modifying master !
Is it ?
Great job by the way.

You can call me a modifying master then! lol
I fact every morning I briefly check if the fiero is complete, before driving to work
Sometime ago I got a ticket for "malfunctioning front turnlights", well I had no excuse, they simply were not there at all! Good thing about it being a daily driver is you learn to think about how to mount parts before you even build them...Designing parts is only half of the job, making them work and fit easy is the other half of the job...!
I was going to get a spare dash for the mods but this still works great. I guess I will look around for a set of used stock doorpieces though when I get to do them.

PFF
System Bot
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
stupid laws... who needs turn signals ???
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No lights watch for finger.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 11-09-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
No lights watch for finger.

I guess I showed the wrong finger to the cop!

Started the bondo+sanding thingie on the glovebox pieces:

It will need much more bondo+sanding but the final shape is slowly coming
another testfit/mockup:

* ...dreaming of a "heated" garage, its getting cold!...*

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use my heated garage if you build me a dash !!! I have a wood shop too.

------------------

Signature courtesy of MinnGreen.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally some progress.....and some pics
Started smoothing some parts:

Looks like the glovebox door will be the first candidate for a mold, now it only needs wetsanding and waxing.

I think I will do the final product in the (upper style) CF:

And I put this reminder in the garage today so I dont get sidetracked But luckily I still manage to stay close to the original concept!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff. Good talking to you today! Looking forward too seeing it in person. I found something interesting in the car museum we went to in Holland today - watch my post!

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com/fiero.html
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, PU dog bone, bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, OZELOT exhaust, Mercedes SLK yellow, Mr. Mikes seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 player and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read it. Cool find! Looks like you had some fun today. If I knew earlier you were going I would have driven to Eindhoven to meet and have a nice day. Oh well no one expected the nice weather today.....and you called before I had my coffee so I didnt thought about that!

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad to see some progress on this.. keep the pics flowing
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update???

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry! Lots of sanding and smoothing lately (actually I did some of the work in my kitchen because it was freezing in my garage ), I only have this pic of today:

This is also becoming the startingpoint for the midconsole shape!
I removed some parts around the shifter. If you remove another small metal bracket theres a nice space between shifter and radio for one "recessed" cupholder ......not my cup of tea but it is good to know theres some space to put "something" there when needed
Looked at the location of the window switches, guess they need some relocation but they will be hidden for sure with my plans...
And please let someone stop me stripping the interior of my daily driver....!

PFF
System Bot
oneblack85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneblack85gtSend a Private Message to oneblack85gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm...it'd be awesome if...somewhere in there you used some air struts! like for hoods and stuff, only much smaller/weaker ones. maybe on something like the glovebox, instead of a cord to keep it from going to far down. figured it would be a kinda new/old look...i think.

mike

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You read my mind! Yes I need something to push out the glovebox door when unlocked because theres no knob to pull it open. Yeah I thought about a "tiny small little" gasstrut on both sides.....but does someone make them?? I really would like to know where to find them....thanks for making me think about that again

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress... body buildupinterior buildup
1969 Chevy Suburban

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

You read my mind! Yes I need something to push out the glovebox door when unlocked because theres no knob to pull it open. Yeah I thought about a "tiny small little" gasstrut on both sides.....but does someone make them?? I really would like to know where to find them....thanks for making me think about that again

I saw something like that on the airplane yesterday when storing my bag in the overhead compartment. The struts were tiny and obviously had an internal spring and some sort of damping (I assume air or hydraulic). I thought they were pretty compact and would be neat, but they didn't have nearly enough force for something I would be doing. I can't recall the name of the company on the ones I saw yesterday, but something to keep in mind. One of them would be enough to get the job done.

Bryce
88 GT

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bryce: great! Now I got to think they may be used in busses or trucks too...But I got another idea (thanks to you and oneblack85gt!) : what about using a modified electric antenna?! One touch on the button and the glovebox electrically opens or closes! Cool
I am getting mad in here....!
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bryce: great! Now I got to think they may be used in busses or trucks too...But I got another idea (thanks to you and oneblack85gt!) : what about using a modified electric antenna?! One touch on the button and the glovebox electrically opens or closes! Cool
I am getting mad in here....!

just use some muscle wire actuators.. great for 12vdc aplications - http://www.robotstore.com/download/EPiston_Instr_V12.pdf

or just an RC servo -

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL I guess I will end up butchering 2 robot arms from a cheap toy robot

Uhh...last attempt to post some pics!
Progress on the interior:

Hehe, less means more! I am getting to build the midconsole. The subbox is out too now and I have to relocate the window buttons for a while because they interfere with the mockup right now. Still a daily driver!
I needed the diameter of the chrome shifter ring (audi TT) to make the drawings on the MDF and I ended up visiting an Audi dealership around here today. I was allowed to take a seat in a brandnew roadster TT to take some measurements! The guy at the parts desk helped me with some partnumbers and prices (ough!),but they were very helpfull. And I can do some more work now

In line with the concept I will use a 1/4 of the 32mm pvc tubing for the rounding of the edge of this piece...and then theres a lot more buildup to do

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a nice discovery: I tried fitting the MDF with the stock window controls still there

Looks with some minor adjustments I can keep the stock window buttons setup

I need a new shifter knob too Next step will be shaping the upper part, the window buttons will be hidden and I will try to add a small storage space under the armrest.....
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not take the oppertunity to upgrade the window and mirror switches to something nicer? Like something illuminated? I believe that the Pontiac Gran Prix had the red illuminated switches. Even if you're going to hid them, it's nice seeing them when it's dark.

Roy

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the stock window switches are so simple its almost stupid - replace replace replace.. all you really need is some double pole double throw momentary rocker switches -- but automotive switches would be ideal
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I thought this would making a swap easier.....oh well, I trashed and burned it all now
Seriously, you got some good points: I will make a plain shape in that area so it is possible to make any cut for the choosen (custom) setup. Since I have been surfing like crazy for matching gauges and vents I really dont know which interesting window buttons are available right now...please post em!
PFF
System Bot
Sunflash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2004 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunflashSend a Private Message to SunflashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure what the part number is but Radio Shack had some rotary swithches that were DP/DT momentaries that were silver and shaped kinda like the Audi vents that I saw a few monthes ago but I don't know if they still have them. If they made them than they can or some one else probably does to.
my pride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for my prideSend a Private Message to my prideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did a nice discovery: I tried fitting the MDF with the stock window controls still there

Looks with some minor adjustments I can keep the stock window buttons setup

I need a new shifter knob too Next step will be shaping the upper part, the window buttons will be hidden and I will try to add a small storage space under the armrest.....

mooi gedaan man echt top

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some bits and pieces... :
started to take a mold of the glovebox door ( I hope to get "something" right the first time this time ) Tinted the resin with a grey paste, it makes it easier to check the shape of the final mold but it is also hard to see trapped airbubbles in the layup...

Cut another "layer" for the midconsole

I trimmed the lower piece inner edges to make it more "mold-friendly" ...( every step means looking forward a few steps ahead everytime...!) But they will be covered anyway by the upper pieces when those are finished.

Just got the basic shape of another layer done and did some "powerfile" shaping around the edges

Still lots of work to do but its getting some shape....

my pride: dankjewel !

HighPowered

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HighPoweredSend a Private Message to HighPoweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow.. It must be nice to have some talent like that... I can play NBA Live for 9 hours straight, that's about the extent of my talent.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HighPowered:
wow.. It must be nice to have some talent like that... I can play NBA Live for 9 hours straight, that's about the extent of my talent.

well uh...If you have some ideas, just try to achieve them...! I am just trying out mine and trying to anticipate with anything that pops up....

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well FieRo - you've deffinately inspired me - i've started cutting the foam off a stock dash to use the plastic support structer as the base for a custom dash - i'll be going the mdf ring and stretched felt route
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well uh...If you have some ideas, just try to achieve them...! I am just trying out mine and trying to anticipate with anything that pops up....

That IS THE TRUTH!!
You must have a goal or a idea of what you are trying to acomplish in the end!

Looking great Fie,...
I picked up a 355 nose yesterday that is going to be modded with front brake cooler's on the side and a different driving light position(inspired by kmunsons front facia)..
I need you to talk to me about making a mold that huge for the nose..?? I am shorting the top and front! Looking alot better!
anyways back to topic...

How did the glovebox turnout..??

Steve

------------------

Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!
FIRST-EVER-- CHOPTOP--WIDEBODY GT!!
4.9L-V8--5-Speed starting swap soon

[This message has been edited by NotAFieroAnyLonger (edited 12-06-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:
I need you to talk to me about making a mold that huge for the nose..?? I am shorting the top and front! Looking alot better!

Hey Steve, I only did some rough one-off molds of the bumpers...but I think it is wise to add some riggid wooden frame to keep the mold from warping. You can win some space for a short nose+lights by removing the front iron bumper support (4 bolts)....so where are the pics of your chop? or is it still a secret?

I got an email from "Paul" ( I dont know his username) and he had some nice suggestions, thanks!
One of them: window buttons from a 2005 Mercedes slk I finally found a good pic:

The doorhandle is also close to my plans and it got some gears turning.......
I guess these switches will be hard to find so I wonder what else is already out there....post em

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieRo - why not make molds of how you want them to look - then cast them from high clarity epoxy resin - then mask off the symbols and paint.. drill a hole in the backside and stick an LED in it - will light up

you could probably even use stock fiero switches with new buttons since they are very simple and easy to disassemble

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock