Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Official VR6 Engine Swap (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official VR6 Engine Swap by bmwguru
Started on: 12-16-2007 01:38 PM
Replies: 727 (108830 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-02-2015 04:21 AM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got home from another grueling 14 hour work day. Anyway, I made a decent amount of progress on the VR6 tonight, and I will have pics to post tomorrow. As for a video, I had to drop the gas tank to be able to fit the VW shifter in the car. The shifter has a very nice solid feel...not like the stock VW Jetta nor the Fiero. The best way to describe the way the shifter feels is exactly like a MINI Cooper S. Very solid and firm.
The neat part about this swap is everything I have designed into this swap can be easily reversed to put the stock drivetrain back in...or any other swap using the Fiero shifter, trans etc. I didn't want to screw myself in case I didn't pull it off. It also made me look at the swap in a different way....nothing on this swap was done half assed. I have a notebook full of templates, wiring notes, diagrams, reminders, cooling system information, etc. I now have the formula needed to drop a VW drivetrain into a Fiero...and let me tell you, the getting the shifter installed and working was the hardest part of the whole swap.
More pics tomorrow....video soon.
Dave
IP: Logged
shawnhalolush

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnhalolushSend a Private Message to shawnhalolushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the reasons I brought up a cooper S swap today was because I loved the shifter feel. This is good news for me to hear that the V W shifter feels that way in a fiero.

Shawn
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnhalolush:

One of the reasons I brought up a cooper S swap today was because I loved the shifter feel. This is good news for me to hear that the V W shifter feels that way in a fiero.

Shawn

no, you just couldn't believe how fast that MINI actually was.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the exhaust tips that will be going on the car. I'll give a + to the first person who can identify what car they are originally from. Hint: dealer list was $424 per side...that should be hint enough...lol

The Aura

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
997 Carerra
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:

997 Carerra

Close enough. A plus for you. They are from a Porsche 996 or 997 GT2.
Dave
87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the use of the circles, I'd say a late model Audi. Tilt the left one up 15 degrees CCW, the other one CW and see how they look.
Just a SWAG (Scientific Wild A## Guess)

------------------

'85GT Indy clone 4.9 4T60E
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'05 Aztek daily driver (The Great Pumpkin)
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BabyVet:

MORE VIDEO!!! Please

GLADLY!! As soon as somebody gets it off the lift and lets me drive it.

Joey
anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anonymity

355 posts
Member since Jul 2007

Originally posted by Sixstrings:
For someone who is scared to ride in the "Gay Orange Fiero" you seem to have a lot to say. You sure you won't be scared of the VR6 as well?

Not scared... Just dont wanna be responsible for wrapping it around a tree and leaving Dave to raise the 5 kids solo.

As far as the VR6, I cant wait to drive it..... if someone ever gets it off the damn lift. I cant wait to see how it does. I will probably go easy on it the first few times I drive it, til I get used to it then look out!!

Joey
Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anonymity:

Not scared... Just dont wanna be responsible for wrapping it around a tree and leaving Dave to raise the 5 kids solo.

As far as the VR6, I cant wait to drive it..... if someone ever gets it off the damn lift. I cant wait to see how it does. I will probably go easy on it the first few times I drive it, til I get used to it then look out!!

Joey

So what you are saying is that you can't drive.... am I reading that right

Will be really interesting seeing you in the VR6.... I will have to stay up in my end of NJ when you are out
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there's a lot of fighting words being thrown around in here!
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

there's a lot of fighting words being thrown around in here!

Sixstrings and I go back 20 years. Anonymity is my wife and I can sleep with her. I'm staying out of this one.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Anonymity is my wife, she lets me sleep with her. I don't want to mess that up.

Fixed that for ya
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Fixed that for ya

Thanks! LMAO.

Originally posted by anonymity:

As far as the VR6, I cant wait to drive it..... if someone ever gets it off the damn lift.

Joey

Hey, gimme a break. It seems every four cars that leave the shop, five more come in. would you rather have a nice running VR6 and live in it or make the money to pay the bills?
Ok, I'll set aside an hour or two tomorrow and get the exhaust on the car.
shawnhalolush

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnhalolushSend a Private Message to shawnhalolushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as long as tomorrow isn't anything like today, that should be easy to accomplish....cross your fingers

Shawn
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent an hour and was able to complete part 1 of the exhaust (all mandrel bends). Part 2 will be the tail pipes and tips and part 3 is the secret goodie.
Trunk still removed for now...

Here is how the shifter is set up. I have yet to shorten the shifter. I'll measure it up once the console is reinstalled.

Once again, the best part of the swap.....The key chain!

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 08-21-2008).]

Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust looks good man. Can't wait to see it with the surprise......

Now I just need to get a car to work on for myself

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are the exhaust tips that will be going on the car. I'll give a + to the first person who can identify what car they are originally from. Hint: dealer list was $424 per side...that should be hint enough...lol

Porsche Carrera 4S?

If so, TOO easy
I think the Cayennes also had tips similar to that...

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped its mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs. (Leader of the Insurgency)

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 08-21-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted the answer yesterday, but they are from a Porsche. I was surprised because they are not easily identified unless you see them on a regular basis...or love Porsches.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Sixstrings:

Exhaust looks good man. Can't wait to see it with the surprise......

Now I just need to get a car to work on for myself

Rumor has it that there is a nice T-top Fiero on ebay right now. Another rumor is that Joey has already spoken with the owner.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh perfect, now you get to move all that powertrain over to a different chassis, perfect, just perfect!
I'm being a little playful there, it would be a good opportunity to whet any rough edges that may be left.
Yeah sure like there's any of those, your "passion for a job well done" is evident and it'll be a piece of cake!
Hang on to that lil lass, a saucy women who shares your passions is a rare find.

Norm
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The T-top wasn't for us...we have a friend who may be looking for a toy.
Swapping my VR6 into another chassis would be a weekend drop in. All the parts are bolted in or removable back to stock form easily. The hardest part of the swap other than the shifter is my F**king OCD. I built so many mounts, shifter mounts, pedal braces etc until I was completely satisfied. I think that if I do another VR6 swap, it will take 1/4 of the time because it is all been figured out.
The only thing I would change in the swap is I might attempt to make my own rear cradle and suspension with tubular arms and coil overs.
Thanks for the compliment. My wife is one of a kind and I wouldn't give that up.
Dave
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you keep horses too? You just keep paying the stable bill and everything will be JUST FINE!
A friend of ours just sold her "Nasty Boy", an import she trained, WHOAH! serious coin.
I'll stick to Rhodesian Ridgebacks thank-you!
It was nice getting a ring side commentary from someone who knows many of the international contestants
(Olympic Dressage).

Norm
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

I believe you keep horses too? You just keep paying the stable bill and everything will be JUST FINE!
A friend of ours just sold her "Nasty Boy", an import she trained, WHOAH! serious coin.
I'll stick to Rhodesian Ridgebacks thank-you!
It was nice getting a ring side commentary from someone who knows many of the international contestants
(Olympic Dressage).

Norm

yup, my wife and daughter are the riders in our family. I haven't ridden in a year...mainly due to my lack of time, but I do miss sitting in the saddle (racing cars alongside the road). We are more of a western riding type. They compete in barrell racing and team penning.
Dave
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AKC, ASFA Lure Coursing, Straight racing, oval, Obedience Rally, and yeah a Conformation Ch. too. Soon tracking as RRs are a scent hound as well as sight.
Herding too, Lily has more titles and medals than a Russian General. OH well, as soon as she doesn't like it we'll quit subjecting her to stuff.

And she likes to ride in the Fiero, there, back on topic.

Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 08-21-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Joey's and two of our kids birthdays this week, so this weekend is all booked up so I won't have any VR6 time.
I noticed an axle seal leak, so I pulled that out and should have the new seal in on Monday. If all goes well, the exhaust and interior should be done by next week and then Joey can give a nice "test burnout".
Dave
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2008 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy birthdays, enjoy the family time, they grow so fast . . . it'll make your eyes ache . . . when your my age!

Norm
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tonight I got the interior almost all together, the VW computer mounted in the factory location, all the wiring loomed and the shifter looks pretty good. I had to notch the skeleton around the shifter slightly to clear the front of the shifter. I should be able to post up some pics tomorrow and maybe a debut video of Joey testing out her ride. I still have to install the exhaust and see how it sounds, but all is just about done except the gauges and Mr Mike's seats....and paint...geesh....I've still got a ways to go.
More tomorrow...hopefully
Dave
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
more pictures!!! ....please.. haha so how much did you pay for those tips?
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the high-end Toureg tips, also the Nissan Morino's tips are kinda nice.

Norm
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

more pictures!!! ....please.. haha so how much did you pay for those tips?

I found knock offs on fleabay for $190 shipped for the set.
PFF
System Bot
Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rumor has it that there is a nice T-top Fiero on ebay right now. Another rumor is that Joey has already spoken with the owner.

Yeah, the problem I have is getting things through comity. LOL......

I will be getting something soon though
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is a short video taken today of Joey testing out her car. it now officially (am I allowed to use that word?) runs and drives under its own power.
Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-qF27yM-k

here is a quick one of her testing out the Peloquin limited slip differential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo7XZiXdY6k

ps...if someone knows how to embed youtube videos to post up the pic instead of the link...pm me the how to

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 08-27-2008).]

Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sent you the info on IM, but here it is

[This message has been edited by Sixstrings (edited 08-27-2008).]

Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might just be my computer but I can't open the second link.

Ryan
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Winkie:

It might just be my computer but I can't open the second link.

Ryan

me either.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I moved it over to youtube so it should be ready in a minute.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I still have to install the post muffler pipes and exhaust tips, but it sounds so deep!
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.

Ryan
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are just a few short videos, but after some more work, I'll be having Joey start driving it to work everyday and work out some of the bugs....then maybe I'll post up some actual driving the VR6 videos.
We already have our next project on the back burner, but I have to finish this one first, so there is a little motivation pushing me along.(As well as my wife complaining that her Fiero is still apart)
Geesh
Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock