Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Official VR6 Engine Swap (Page 12)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official VR6 Engine Swap by bmwguru
Started on: 12-16-2007 01:38 PM
Replies: 727 (108831 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-02-2015 04:21 AM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joey and I spoke with the body shop that painted my "Gay Orange Fiero" and they have agreed to take on our latest unique paint job. We are planing on dropping it off at the body shop come winter time and should have it back in our hands when they are done. As I promised, I will not be prepping the car whatsoever. Just a drop off and pick up...but the inspiration will be all mine and Joey's. As of now there are only about eight people that know the plan for the paint job including the body shop.
The only issue is that we want a really obscure paint job, but we don't really want show quality because this car will be a driver. I spent a small fortune on my orange and black car and it looks like this one will be a greater ordeal to paint. If I only took a body shop class when I was younger.
Dave
IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something you could always pick up. All it takes is practice.

Maybe you could do the prep work, and have someone else shoot it.
Although from what I've read so far, prep work can be a bit of a nightmare.

Congrats on the milestone so far!!

I'd say do the 3.2 VR-6.
Or do DI (direct injection)

Just wait a while until the engine fairy drops one of these in your lap. Maybe even an engine with a stock turbo and oooo

Either way, can't wait to see more pics..
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2008 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I attempted to prep my orange and black Fiero and it didn't work out so well. I will just let the body shop do what they have to do to make Joey's and my vision a reality.
As for the 3.2 VR6 swap....I am already planning to remove the four carbed V8 and drop in a 24v 3.2 VR6 into the orange and black car. Probably within a year or two. After driving my stock gold car, my orange V8 and Joey's VR6 Fiero...I think her VR6 is the most fun. It really could use a little boost, but in N/A form it is still a riot to drive.....when she actually lets me drive it. We have over 1000 abusive miles on it as of today and it hasn't had any major issues. I have adjusted a few things here and there, but the swap seems pretty flawless so far. I'll be putting up some more pics and videos soon. I am so glad I purchased the LSD. Once you get used to it, it is a major difference in control over the car...it launches harder, keeps going straight when the wheels are spinning and seems to handle the turns better. (and it has a lifetime warranty)
Dave
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeeeehaaaa!! NICE work!! In your next video, couldja wind it up a little tighter, so people can hear how good a VR6 REALLY sounds? (I realize the thing will do about 80-plus in second if you wind it up, and the residential neighborhood you were in sort of precluded that---and that the sound on the recording can't do it justice, but hey, a VR6 in full song is a beautiful thing to hear...)

I definitely agree on the European snarl these engines make; even with a quiet exhaust like mine, with the CAI, the intake noise is loud enough to hear the car approaching (rapidly) three blocks away if the driver has their foot in it. I did a dyno pull on mine recently, and bone stock, it pulled 165 at the wheels, which translates to just a little shy of 190 hp at the crank, which is within spitting distance of the 4.9 I had in my Formula. The difference is, as you mentioned, it doesn't run out of breath at five grand like the 4.9 OR the 2.8...and there's quite a bit of aftermarket available. With a hair dryer on it, 300 hp is easily achievable, and the narrow configuration of the engine leaves tons of room for one.

So, Joey, how do you like it (now that you've taken the keys back from Dave, hehe)?
------------------

'88 Formula - 4.9 conversion by The Fiero Factory

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 10-19-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post up a new video soon with the tach in the picture. It is pretty cool to watch it spin up to almost 8,000 rpms...and the sound is just plain sexy.
Here are a few pics with the latest updates on this saga.
First off, I replaced the fuel pump because the Warlbro was just too loud and annoying. It sounded like a jet plane waiting to take off. I swapped in a stock Fiero V6 pump and fuel trims are still in spec with no power difference. I saved the Warlbro in case if we decide to boost this car. The original plans were to have a turbo added, but Joey is still getting used to the car.
We added the Fiero Warehouse side scoops...and shortened the air filter to clear better...

Also, remember the cooling system filter I added to see what we would catch. Here is a pic of the coolant filter after 1000 miles of driving....kinda makes you think.

That's all for now....Joey and I are still trying to determine when the body shop will be taking the car away for five or six months to do the paint. She doesn't want to be without the car.
Dave
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good dave keep us posted. Btw When i finish at uti can i work for you?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85duke:

Lookin good dave keep us posted. Btw When i finish at uti can i work for you?

I'm really hard to work for because I expect no less than 110% from myself and employees. We all get along and bust on each other all day (hell, Scrubby threw a firecracker at me while I was cutting something with the torch near the gas tank of a BMW. Then again, I put a "honk if you want a BJ" sticker on the back of his MINI), but the minute that work stops getting done, I start getting mad.
So if you are up for the challenge, come see me when you get through school and don't forget to bring the chapstick and kneepads to the interview.
Dave
shawnhalolush

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnhalolushSend a Private Message to shawnhalolushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" don't forget to bring the chapstick and kneepads to the interview. "

I did and it worked out well for me, lol.
Shawn
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
That's all for now....Joey and I are still trying to determine when the body shop will be taking the car away for five or six months to do the paint. She doesn't want to be without the car.
Dave

I hope you're being cynical. Paintjobs shouldn't take more than 2 months. Even the really good ones. The car can always cure when it's at home with you.

Love the scoops btw.
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave that was just me tryin to get close to that VR6 powered beast, but on a more serious note I start Nov. 17 and will be done in 75 weeks. I am taking the auto/diesel course.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I hope you're being cynical. Paintjobs shouldn't take more than 2 months. Even the really good ones. The car can always cure when it's at home with you.

Love the scoops btw.

My orange car took five months to the date to get done. They did a lot of fiberglassing and repairing the prep work I started. We are planning on dropping it off in late Nov.

Originally posted by 85duke:

Dave that was just me tryin to get close to that VR6 powered beast, but on a more serious note I start Nov. 17 and will be done in 75 weeks. I am taking the auto/diesel course.

Good luck to you. Working on cars is getting more complicated every year. They are more computer than machine nowadays. The good part about this is that the "Shadetree Mechanics" are starting to go away...which in turn increases our value.
Don't worry about seeing the VR6....if I know my wife, she'll be taking her 2009 road trips in it all over the country.
Dave
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, here is where I need all of your help...
I'm shopping for side scoops for the car. They have to be functional for the cold air intake. My tastes are pointing me towards the AusFiero stage 2, but as we all know, they are not available. Anyone have any ideas for similiar types of scoops? I'm not a body guy, so I can't make my own.
Dave

If you are still looking they will be available again very very soon.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

That's really good news.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by AusFiero:

If you're redesigning those scoops as well. Have you considered Porsche Cayman inspired scoops as well?
kennn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is excellent news, Aus. Your design is the prettiest scoop/mod i've seen for the Fiero.

Ken
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

If you're redesigning those scoops as well. Have you considered Porsche Cayman inspired scoops as well?

Well if you can send me a Porsche Cayman for development purposes I will do it. I will need the car for say, life?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I have been hijacked.
Actually, I wish that I had another GT not painted yet. I'd love to have a set of them, but I'm not going to repaint my gold car at this time and I already put scoops on the VR6 project.
Dave
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now to get your thread back on track. I am loving the sound of that car. Great job!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be cautious using the stock Fiero fuel pump for a high perfromance application. Although the fuel trims are within spec, extended high RPM operation may require more fuel than the stock Fiero pump can deliver. You'll know after one run down the 1/4 mile under full throttle and pity your pistons if you go lean!. The EP376 Corvette V8 fuel pump is very quiet and puts out plenty of fuel. You can buy new Delphi Corvette pumps for about $50 on eBay and the pump installs just like the Fiero pump-no mods necessary. You may want to consider using it for cheap insurance.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we're not running any boost on the VR6 yet, but we'll have to upgrade the pump then. I'm just toying around with a few different changes to see what can work with this combo.
What is the year of the Corvette application for that pump?
Dave
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the pump can deliver the peak fuel need for any instant, it's enough. It's running full blast, all the time, so no high RPM operation will wear it out or reduce its output further. The only exception would be if the ECU bumped the fueling after extended WOT running (like the N* does), and it was already on the verge of maximum supply. IMO, there's nothing to worry about it sounds like. Dave knows what he's doing.

Seconded on the 'vette pump for others, though, it flows more and is still quiet. When moderately turbo'd, use the (real) Walbro 255*HP* for an in-tank.

Edit: ^ beat me to it.

------------------

88 Fiero GT - garage ornament
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11.9 @ 116, sorta broke again
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - sorta broke again
'85 Kawi 750 Turbo - sorta broke still
'95 Kawi GPZ1100 - 10 second daily driver, heh
'87 Craftsman 8HP mid-engine mower - WTH?

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-24-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it's the LT1 Corvettes ('92-'96).

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-24-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.
We pulled out the Warlbro due to the ungodly "jet taxiing down the runway" sound. I didn't really appreciate driving the car until that noise was gone. Joey has confirmed that the stock Fiero pump seems to make no difference in the car whatsoever.
I think it will be safe for now.
I drove in my gold GT this morning behind the "VIERO 6" (new license plates) today and I was laughing at how much smoke both rear tires made at one of the stop lights. Then about a minute later, I realized that I needed a better engine in place of my 2.8 if I wanted to keep up.
We are still discussing our goals with the body shop people and they will be taking the car in around late November. We have already left our $$$ deposit to hold the spot.
When it comes back, I will start on making the interior to Joey's specs, being that she will be the one driving it. I will only insist on the car having one of Shawnhalolush's custom suede headliners and visors(a shameless plug that I will get my 0.00001% commission on)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I have been hijacked.

Dave

I think it's because there is a severe lack of pics in this tread.

Without pics we don't have any attention span worth anything..

AusFiero: I don't think you'll need a whole Cayman. (although I agree, that it would be a great car for "long term testing purposes" )
I think just getting the scoop inserts should be enough to get your creative juices flowing. - besides, you'll need to integrate them with the Fiero anyways.

No worries BMWguru. We'll get the thread back to the Vr-6.
anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great!! Just great!!

Since when is MY car gonna get OUR paint scheme?!?!?

I am absolutely loving MY car.... its a shame that Dave is finding reasons to take it to work. Like testing this... changing that... racing this, that and the other.....

I seem to be able to drive it between the hours of 5 and 7 am.... the neighbors love that!

Dave and I still argue... violently at times.... about who gets to drive the car when and where.... ( I usually win )..... but I brag constantly about how wonderful the car turned out... Dave did a spectacular job... I would like to drive it more, but I understand that he wants to make sure everything is the way its supposed to be... (he is anal like that)

Maybe I'll convince him to get another video soon.....

Joey
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The amount of time you get to drive 'your' car is directly proportional to the amount of time 'till the next project.
Right now the passion for "dialin' it in" is paramount. When planning the next project takes priority then your
"cockpit time" will increase, and maybe . . . just maybe . . . he'll let ya git yer wings in a new plane too.

All in all, except for the "violent argument" part I think things will be OK, the scale always tips one way or the other,
think how boring life'd be if it were static. The best part is makin' up.

Norm
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Joey means by our violent argument is that we first disagree about who gets to drive the car. Then it turns into a little playful wrestling match. Or one of us will chase the other all over the house to get hold of the keys. No blood has spilled yet. It's all in good fun....and I usually let her win.
Dave
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, . . . To be young again . . . I remember those days, they're still there in memory. Motorcycles, mountain bikes,
& fast cars have raised my titanium levels to such that for the first hour in the morning I feel like Evel Knievel. "Now
where's my cane?" . . . ;^) Stay young, but not dumb, you can still have fun.

Norm

aka:
'Crash Kruse'
pretty much everything but a bus, a boat, and an airplane.
Oh yeah, haven't crashed a train yet (knocks on wood), been RR'n for 30+ yrs..
And still happily married for 26 of 'em!

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 10-27-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....and I usually let her win...

LET her win? Uh huh.....sure

[This message has been edited by kawana (edited 10-27-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol...yeah I have three disadvantages....If I'm winning, she'll pull my hair, my beard or something else
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I friend of mine sent me an email letting me know that there is a thread on RFT about my choice in Fiero power. Just to set the record straight, I never said my V8 was slow (I never said it was fast either. I advised one person that if they wanted a to go fast do a 3800s/c). I DO prefer to drive the VR6 over the V8. The V8 has a lot of low end torque and it is a blast to drive, but keep in mind that I work on BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, MINI, and VW everyday. I see high revving engines more often than old musclecars. I've changed. Ten years ago, I thought the V8 was the best Fiero swap, but now I prefer the VR6. I'd like to try a 3800 next on a car. That doesn't mean I don't like my V8. I do like it. The VR6 starts pulling at 2000RPMS and doesn't stop pulling at 7200RPMS. To me, that is what I like. People change their preferences. I'm not bashing V8 Fieros. I concider my garage to have the best of both worlds.
Here are two videos from today. One of the VR6 and one of the V8. Same roads, ten minutes apart. I left my shop and hit some side streets for some fun.
Don't mind that in the V8, I started to lose it a little bit in the turn....I had it a little too hard into the gas. also, don't mind the camera popping sound. The camera pics up the engine pulses and I'm not much of an editor.
VR6

V8

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 10-27-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMFG I want a bigger motor. dave they both sound great. Good work. How did you get the keys from joey long enough to make a vid?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually take her car to work once a week to make sure it is all still holding together. She doesn't know about the video yet, so I may encounter some wrestling later tonight.
Dave
shawnhalolush

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnhalolushSend a Private Message to shawnhalolushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the V8 a little more than the VR6. It's a much more exciting ride.

P.S. Sorry about the shakiness of the camera...I'm a better mechanic than a camera man.

Shawn
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a true coolant filter or something made for other duty? Which hose did you put it on? I'm interested in something like that for my car.

Nice build.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnhalolush:

I like the V8 a little more than the VR6. It's a much more exciting ride.

P.S. Sorry about the shakiness of the camera...I'm a better mechanic than a camera man.

Shawn

No worries.

A good trick is to brace your elbows against your body when filming. It helps a little. Also, every once in a while camera suction mounts can be picked up for cheap various places online, incl. eBay. In this case the rear window
glass would lend itself perfectly for filming.
My dad and I took hours of footage around the world with an expensive cousin of these 15+ years ago. Looks absolutely great and no jittering whatsoever, even back in the day when there wasn't any optical, or digital image stabilization.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Is that a true coolant filter or something made for other duty? Which hose did you put it on? I'm interested in something like that for my car.

Nice build.

The coolant filter is actually a fuel pre filter for a older Mercedes Benz diesel. It can withstand the temp of the coolant and is clear, so I can see through it.
I don't know where you could mount it in the Fiero without putting a bypass hose in the system. The VR6 uses the expansion tank as the fill point and it is under constant pressure. There is a purge line that bleeds off air and that's where I mounted the filter. The fluid can only go one way, so using a normal expansion tank wouldn't be able to use that setup.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 10-28-2008).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the vids, the V8 appears faster.
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the 8 has more on the bottom end like dave mentioned earlier where the VR6 has more pull in the top and much more rpm's. Just wait till he forces some air into that thing. or better yet goes with an R32 motor.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait until "Mr. Fusion" powered cars become popular. Then the debates will cover "explosion engine" vs. fusion power.

Post some more great vids and pics before the car is "sent away to rehab for 5-6 months".

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 10-28-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock