Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Official VR6 Engine Swap (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official VR6 Engine Swap by bmwguru
Started on: 12-16-2007 01:38 PM
Replies: 727 (108936 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-02-2015 04:21 AM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here is where I need all of your help...
I'm shopping for side scoops for the car. They have to be functional for the cold air intake. My tastes are pointing me towards the AusFiero stage 2, but as we all know, they are not available. Anyone have any ideas for similiar types of scoops? I'm not a body guy, so I can't make my own.
Dave
IP: Logged
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if he was able to get them made again but I would try to get the ones from Germany. They are similar to the stage 2s. I think its the fiero warehouse that has some that are pretty nice. Or go with the ones archie sells. Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Ryan
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Winkie

1159 posts
Member since Feb 2007
These are the only pics I have of the side scoops.

Ryan
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see how the finned ones look on a Fiero. The second one down is nice, too.
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is a "show off" thread in general and I think there may be a car in there with those scoops.

Ryan
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V8 Archie have this one (www.v8archie.com):

others are sold by Doug at www.fierowarehouse.com

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2008 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for showing them on the cars. The white coupe is the type I will probably go with.
Dave
xunedeinx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xunedeinxSend a Private Message to xunedeinxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is so hard to keep up on the progess this summer. Every spare chance I get to work on the car, it is usually a nice day and I go out and enjoy it. I do have a few boxes of parts left to put on the car and then after it is all back together, I want to do a complete post of completed pics of the swap(top to bottom). Maybe a driving video too. I did promise myself that I will have the swap 100% completed within one year of the start, though. The winter months are real easy to spend 10-15 hours a day on the swap because there really is nothing else to do in NJ when it is miserable outside.
Dave
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
The hardest part of the swap other than the shifter is my F**king OCD. I built so many mounts, shifter mounts, pedal braces etc until I was completely satisfied.

I know what you mean, I can't tell how many times I've made a part of some sort or another 3 or 4 times when the first one would have worked just fine!!!

If you can't see the future,
your not driving fast enough. Joe
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, ask anyone who works for me...I'm a complete ass, but the cars leave my shop 110% because 100% is just sloppy.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I'd like to see how the finned ones look on a Fiero. The second one down is nice, too.

Here are the finned from fiero warehouse

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a few free minutes to assemble the interior to 100%. We officially have Joey's approval of the interior, but the shifter may need some getting used to...and I'll probably shorten it an inch or two. I've been playing around with the adjustments of it and I have no problems finding any gears.

Here is a shot of the OBDII connector mounted in the Fiero's stock location. The VW computer is mounted in a fabricated plastic carrier similiar to the stock Fieros. All diagnosis and programming are done with the VAG-COM or factory VW laptop.

If all goes well, the exhaust should be completed with the Porsche tips by tomorrow. After that is begins the fine tuning and the gauges should be installed by next week.
Dave
ps...Any request of pics or how I did what? I can answer them as best as I can.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-08-2008).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Color?
aconesa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aconesaSend a Private Message to aconesaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,

WOW, You did say it would be done soon. When can we see a new video of it all put together and running? This time no throttle in the hands, please. :-)

Abe

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure of the color yet. Joey has the final say in that.
As for videos...Abe see page 9 of this thread. Maybe new videos after state inspection passes it this week (with no cats)
Dave
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to get pics taken from the bottom of the engine bay, the VeeDub computer and maybe some engine bay pics with all the covers on.

Would maybe a VW shortie shifter conversion work? You've done so much fabricating, maybe a already made aftermarket part would do the trick?

P.s.: I like the OEM location ODBII connector. Makes it look like it's always been there.

-Max
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got some exhaust finished today. 100% mandrel bent.....nice Porsche exhaust tips and a nice low rumble with a few small flames out the tail pipes....I might have to retune a little bit.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-09-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I would love to get pics taken from the bottom of the engine bay, the VeeDub computer and maybe some engine bay pics with all the covers on.

Would maybe a VW shortie shifter conversion work? You've done so much fabricating, maybe a already made aftermarket part would do the trick?

P.s.: I like the OEM location ODBII connector. Makes it look like it's always been there.

-Max

I'll get those pics when I can put it back on one of our regular lifts. I have it on a mid rise lift now because the customer's cars are on the other lifts. Thinking about the shifter.....After all the fabrication I've done, what is a few more hours on the shifter. I still have the CAI and gauges to go, but it is all downhill from here.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe include some detail shots as well.

With an almost artistic quality. i.e.: Vr6 Custom axles, where Fiero meets VW, design features you're particularly proud of. Have fun with the camera.
We what you find, we're all curious.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post up some more pics soon. Some of the pics I'll email you for your private viewing Max, but others I will post up here. I can't let all my secrets out.
I'm working on a driveability issue with the car right now. I traced it back to a defective sensor that was brand new, so I should have that issue resolved in a few days when i get the new part. I am having some serious issues trying to find decent parts for the cold air intake. Any good websites for custom CAI stuff?
Other than that, I found it was easier to wire in a relay and sensor for the fan rather than try to make the VW fan module functional. This makes for a lot of less wiring and easier diagnosis if there is a failure.
Dave
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an alternative idea for a dash/gauge pod:

Audi gauges. Either Audi TT, A6, A4, or others. (R8 gauges would be nice, but I'm guessing they're $$$, and probably incompatible)

I'm hoping they'd bolt in. Much prettier than the VW gauges, and they'd hold you over until the VDO's arrive.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I just ordered the VDO set today, so I should have them installed by mid week. I ordered everything needed to complete the car and hopefully start the tuning process.
As of right now, I'm really not feeling the 5.5lb flywheel. It is really light and the rpms seem floaty.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the CAI and the gauges. The intake was pretty simple once I found the parts. The air filter is a little large, but I'll probably change it out for a slightly smaller one once I install the new quarter panels.
The gauges were not as bad to wire up as I thought they would be. The oil pressure switch was tapped from the oil filter housing. It has two unused ports and all I needed was a 10mm to 1/8" adapter and it was fine. The coolant temp sensor and fan control switch was installed in the pipe that fed the radiator (at the engine). The tach signal I took right from the ECM wiring to the cluster. I was able to fine tune the tach by watching the tach and the rpm reading on the VW laptop. Same for the water temperature.
The speedometer is all that is left to calibrate and then the gauges are done.
The car is still a few months from completion, but it is coming along nicely.
I was having issues with an extended crank and found the starter switch to be defective out of the box, so I replaced it and the engine fires right up.
Dave

85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still vote this as one of the coolest swaps sure everyone can swap a 3800sc or a sbc but it takes balls to go all out and install a vr6 motor and all of the hardware. you sir are one of a kind. I vote to see more wacky swaps just for the hell of it.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment.
The next swap has already been decided and it will be a shop project. I'm not going to disclose what it will be, but it has never been done on a Fiero yet and I really have no clue how we are going to do it yet. Shawnhalolush came up with the idea and I said, let's try it. So when this swap is done (probably by mid November), I'm taking a month off and then we'll start on the next one.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found an injector problem during the initial testing, so the upper intake and fuel rail had to come out today. No Biggie.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-25-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
video time......

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-25-2008).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad to see it is runnin good. someone seemed a little uneasy when she took off from that stop sign. good job.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that popping sound in the video from the engine or is it from something else. It sounds pretty darn good when you get on it. I'm glad to see it out on the road finally. This is definietly one of my favorite swaps.

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs (9/07) 12.657@110.19mph 1/4 mile (8/08)
www.gmtuners.com

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The popping sound is my poor quality camera trying to pick up the exhaust pulses....one of these days I'll get a better one. I was still getting used to driving a Fiero with a LSD. It is definitely different than one with an open rear around turns. If all goes well, Joey should start her driving soon, and then make her list of demands of things for me to change. Still on target for mid November to be 100% completed.
Dave
Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That engine has a nice sound to it....... it is looking damn good
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85duke:

I am glad to see it is runnin good. someone seemed a little uneasy when she took off from that stop sign. good job.

It wasn't me driving, that was Dave. But don't worry, I will be taking it easy for a while to get used to the way it handles. I do usually drive fast, but I don't do any more than I can handle. I may be crazy.... but I got 5 kids to raise, so I ain't gonna be wreckless.

Joey

P.S. Yes, it does sound great! I can't wait to drive it! Dave did a great job on the swap... but I know it won't be completely done until all the bugs are worked out. (he is kinda anal like that)
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anonymity

355 posts
Member since Jul 2007
here is a few pics of me putting the sealant on the new trunk floor. Dave welded it in and I applied the water sealer.
Joey

85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry joey i meant she as in the car. I just like the watch it watch it you can hear when it lost a little traction.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine does have such a sexy European sound to it. The powerband is amazing with the variable intake manifold. There is plenty of torque at the bottom end and it just keeps on giving up to 7,000 rpms. This would be the perfect swap for a rebody. In naturally aspirated form, it is very impressive. In the video I had the car up to about 85mph before I had to slow down to 40mph for the car in front of me.
Everything seems to be going ok with the testing. It runs at 180 degrees at all times and it is rare the fan comes on to cool it. There are a few small quirks I will be addressing within the next week, but only a few hours of time.
The hardest part of this swap was trying to figure out how the hell to do it. If I do another one of these, I could probably have it done in a 1/4 of the time. Just trying to figure out how to make the shifter work properly was weeks of trying and failing. I have it set up perfectly now and can hit every gear without guessing.
Now it is just up to the toughest critic....Joey. I'm sure she will make a list of what she wants changed around or redone.
Dave
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave

Really, impressive work. You have created a one off swap and did so in an honest fashion. You used your own knowledge and time. The car sounds great and judging by the orange car in the background will look fantastic as well. That motor looks as though it was factory installed. amazing attention to detail. I hope to see your cars and shop in person sometime.

- Ben Tate -
aconesa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aconesaSend a Private Message to aconesaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,

WOW, great work. I cannot wait to see it.

Joey,

Can I have a ride?

A
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AWSOME JUST AWSOME...
NOW TURBO IT
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock