The Turbo 3500 F23 swap by ericjon262
Started on: 10-03-2011 11:26 PM
Replies: 409 (18286 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 01-09-2019 02:22 AM
Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticClick Here to Email LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very cool build! I see we're both into some labour intensive stuff. We'd be dangerous if we were neighbours! Lol. I do like your daily driver too. Keep up the good work.

IP: Logged

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lunatic:

Very cool build! I see we're both into some labour intensive stuff. We'd be dangerous if we were neighbours! Lol. I do like your daily driver too. Keep up the good work.

lol, thanks, the car has been semi backburner'd again, I'm doing some work on my trucks... swapping the cab and front clip from my 1/2 ton to my 3/4 ton and then selling the 1/2 ton.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 09-01-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Navy decided they wanted me other places(two days later), so I had to pack up and leave quick! I had to leave the car behind(again), but am going to pick it up on Thursday! then I'm going to try and get started on the clutch and HTOB swap ASAP.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spent this weekend working on the car, got a little more work until I can drag it out of the hobby shop.

The main reason for all this delay...

the little POS popped while bleeding is. doesn't appear to have hyperextended though.

A few comparison pictures of the two clutches:

The other reason for the delay:

if you look at the top sprockets, you'll notice grooves cut into one and not the other the grooves are there to sling oil onto the chain, without them, the chain gets hot, stretches, and fails.

And then the engine found it's way home!

Still a ton of work to do, but it's progress nonetheless.

------------------
1st class A**hole.

we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonClick Here to Email Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hope you get it on the road soon. I doubt the grooves in the upper sprocket are going to make any difference aside from the look of good intentions. I believe what they are really intended for from what my small block chevy building experience taught me, is better lubrication for the thrust surface between the block and the sprocket. In this case there is a metal retaining plate bolted in place between the sprocket and the block. The chains are hardened now and I've never been made aware of any failures on the newer motors.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedClick Here to Email fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice! looking good.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Hope you get it on the road soon. I doubt the grooves in the upper sprocket are going to make any difference aside from the look of good intentions. I believe what they are really intended for from what my small block chevy building experience taught me, is better lubrication for the thrust surface between the block and the sprocket. In this case there is a metal retaining plate bolted in place between the sprocket and the block. The chains are hardened now and I've never been made aware of any failures on the newer motors.

maybe, but the chain needs oil too, there are holes in the thrust plate to allow oil to flow to the sprocket, along with the front cam bearing being backset away from the thrust plate to influence the oil to flow towards the gear. I don't have a stock sprocket set available, but I would bet the stock sprocket has a similar groove.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

Nice! looking good.

Thanks!

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoClick Here to Email InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awesome build up. Keep it coming.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

made a little more progress today and yesterday.

Here's how I left it yesterday:

I don't have a picture from today, but it's not much different, now it has some vaccuum/boost lines hooked up, along with the coldside piping installed. unfortunately, I need to re-work my intercooler setup again, it's just not fitting right...

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

main coolant lines done, wheel bearings, done, axle seals, done,vacuum/boost lines, done. getting closer, still need intercooler lines done, new intercooler mount made, heater core lines done, fuel system pressure test/pressure regulator adjusted, final clutch bleed, brakes bled, and then the engine tune. almost there!

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's a picture from today, not much new, but it's something. most of the vacuum lines are done, heater core lines are done, there's really not much left to do. I need to fix a broken wire I found, and redo some of the intercooler piping.

------------------
1st class A**hole.

we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was planning on running A/C on the car, so when I put the engine in, I left the compressor installed, seeing as I don't have lines for the new compressor, I've decided to ditch it for the time being. I'm considering installing an all electric A/C in it's place in the front as a stand alone system. unfortunately for me, this required me to re configure my belt routing and install a new idler pulley.

I also over the past week or two made a new intercooler mount, got the intercooler plumbed in, remote oil filter mounted and plumbed, and intake piping done, along with lots of little other things. it's coming together quickly, gonna clean the car out as best as I can tomorrow and try to make sure I'm not forgetting anything before I try and fire it off. I'm hoping to start it some time this weekend.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Started adding fluids yesterday. My fuel filter turned out to be defective and let me know by spraying fuel everywhere when I primed the system. Otherwise, my fuel system was liquid tight. My coolant system appears to have a slow leak by the radiator, at this point I am not sure if it is the radiator, or just the cap, or even just a little bit of residual drip from the small amount that spilled while filling.

------------------
1st class A**hole.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hit a couple of snags today, it wasn't entirely unexpected though. hooked up the PCM, flashed my base tune, and tried starting it, wouldn't start, presumably due to fuel(no gas smell near exhaust). looked at the tune, and I forgot to remove antitheft... removed it, and tried again, and would get an occasional bump, but no bang. and I remembered I hadn't set my fuel pressure. pulled the plug where the gauge goes on my regulator to install the gauge, and there's brown crap behind it... it looks like when the filter took a **** , it decided to send **** through the whole fuel system. regulator, lines, rail, injectors, all had crap in them... cleaned and began flushing the system, and then one of the lines gave way. I'm not sure where, or if it's one of the lines I made, or the body side lines I didn't touch. I'm assuming it's the stock side. if it is, I'm going to re-do the body side lines so the whole system is new and I don't have to worry about it. on another note, my DHP interface decided to eat **** and die, anyone have one laying around they don't need anymore?

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 233
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like a frustrating weekend.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

very, picked up a few fittings on my way home from work. gonna try and get some work done... but it's supposed to get cold as crap this week... we'll see what happens.

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanClick Here to Email GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cold as crap in florida means like 50? j/k

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

cold as crap in florida means like 50? j/k

not in florida anymore, I'm in South Carolina, supposed to hit 24 F tomorrow night... and on the coast, that bites in deep.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well, my interface is still good, the USB to serial adapter turned out to have died, which was real nice, $38 beats $200 any day. in the mean time, I made a 3 gauge "a" piller setup for a third gen F-body fit my car. looks surprisingly well for a 1/2 custom part.I'll get pics when I have better lighting.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
I made a 3 gauge "a" piller setup for a third gen F-body fit my car. looks surprisingly well for a 1/2 custom part.I'll get pics when I have better lighting.

I wish I had taken a picture of the pod before modification, I'm still working on installing instrumentation, right now, I have AFR, and boost. I think #3 is going to be EGT.

the ruptured fuel line turned out to be one of my "new" lines I had dropped the tank, thinking it was one of the lines hose clamped to the pickup, and then the tank decided to start leaking. I ended up grabbing a tank from an 87-88 car, and installing AN fittings on the pickup, so there are no more clamped connections, then I made new braided fuel lines, all the way from the tank to the rail and back. the new tank is almost ready to go in for good, hope to have it done in the morning

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just finished reading this thread from the beginning. Really enjoyed it. Hope you finish it soon. You are close by too. I'll have to drive mine down there and see this thing. It's going to be special...

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

Just finished reading this thread from the beginning. Really enjoyed it. Hope you finish it soon. You are close by too. I'll have to drive mine down there and see this thing. It's going to be special...

Glad you enjoyed it, I'm hoping to get this heap on the road soon, I'm always game to meet other car guys!

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok, so I've been working intermittently on the tank swap, here are some cliff notes:

Left to right, you have 1985 rear strap, 87 rear strap, 85 front strap, and 87 front strap. the early straps are longer than the later straps. The rear requires that you use the earlier strap, but neither front strap is long enough for the front.

To solve this, I cut one end off of each front strap, and riveted them back together at the correct length.

I'll try to snap a couple of pictures of the new strap, along with measuring it's LOA tomorrow.

now onto sending units, the early and late senders will fit in either tank, but the later tank uses an o-ring that it much smaller in diameter than the early tank. the outlets of the senders also point in different directions, I suspect this is because the evap can on the early models is on the driver's side, and the expansion tank on the later models is on the passenger side. I stuck with the early model sender mainly because I had already modified it to better suite my needs.

Edit:

Here are some more pictures of the A-pillar pod

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 12-26-2014).]

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does the 3500 weigh? I have had a hard time finding this information. 3800 weighs ~400 from the sources I have seen, is the 3500 significant weight savings comparatively?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's about 25 lbs lighter than a 2.8, but I've never weighed either myself.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

What does the 3500 weigh? I have had a hard time finding this information. 3800 weighs ~400 from the sources I have seen, is the 3500 significant weight savings comparatively?

the heads are way lighter than the 2.8 heads, by how much, I'm not sure. I've never weighed one, but I'm sure it's lighter than an all iron 3800 by a decent margin.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand begger's change and gave it to the rich."

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bare iron heads are 26 lbs each; bare aluminum heads are 13 lbs... hence my estimate of 25# lighter than the 2.8.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-21-2015).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Bare iron heads are 26 lbs each; bare aluminum heads are 13 lbs... hence my estimate of 25# lighter than the 2.8.

I would guess the total difference to be a little higher, the front drive should shed a few pounds, less hardware in the intakes, less coolant piping, ect. my swap wouldn't be a good example though, I didn't weigh it before, and I've added alot the stock fiero didn't have (turbo, a2w intercooler and peripherals ect...)

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand begger's change and gave it to the rich."

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no data to use as a basis for constructing an estimate based on those components.

Also: beggars'

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found a few sources saying the weight is ~345 and 3800 is 395 (NA) and 2.8 is right in the middle at ~375. They are all physically similarly sized so it makes sense all three engines are within ~60lbs of each other

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also: beggars'

that's twice this week...

------------------

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

today was a busy day, replaced the O-rings, put everything back together, gave it a shot, noth'n, checked the anti-theft settings in the computer, whoops... fixed that, and still nothing. so I hooked up the scan tool to see what the computer was seeing, and low and behold, the computer isn't getting a 7x signal from the ICM... took the ICM to the parts store, they tested it, dead on all tests! picked up a new one, turn the key for about 5 seconds, nothing, turn it again, and as I was releasing the key, it burped, and then, tried it one more time, and.... IT LIVES! it's in desperate need of a tune though, doesn't idle at all. needless to say, it made this whole weekend ****'n awesome!

I don't have a video yet, but I will try to get one soon, hopefully of it idling.

------------------

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTClick Here to Email Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hell yeah man. Congratulations been following, want to see it run now.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Refresh us on what you've done to the engine?

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Refresh us on what you've done to the engine?

oh the engine... it's just a stock 2.8 with 3100 heads... :P

nah, it's an 06 3500, forged crank, rods, pistons. big cam, ported heads, ported LIM, custom UIM 75mm LS1 TB, LS7 lifter internals in the stock lifters, double roller timing chain, basically a full retard build.

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sigler85GT:

Hell yeah man. Congratulations been following, want to see it run now.

thanks man, it felt so good to hear it run, no matter how poorly!

------------------

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent! Looking forward to the springtime videos of it driving around!

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

Excellent! Looking forward to the springtime videos of it driving around!

If you think I'm gonna wait that long, you're outta you're goddamned mind I tell you what! :P

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

quick glance at my last log (all of 15 seconds...) shows it's running really rich, 10-11:1 upon further investigation, my fuel injector flow rate was wrong in my tune, it was off by about +15 msec/gram, I doubt that will get me exactly where I need to be, but it's one step closer. I might reflash it on my way home from work and try again(car isn't at my house...) hopefully with that and a few other tweeks I can make it happier.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock