Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap by longjonsilver
Started on: 05-07-2018 06:59 PM
Replies: 222 (7451 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 02-27-2024 01:43 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then again, the thot hit me that rubber tubing, like used for vacuum hoses under the hood, might be ideal for muffling the rattling of the door rods. There are places where they clip into a plastic holder, so the rubber would need to be cut to fit. Gonna check it out and will report back.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bot this gum rubber tubing - surgical tubing - from Canadian Tire. Gonna try it on Freya's door rods to fight rattles and clangs. The tubing is real soft and bouncy - should absorb vibration very well.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:
There are places where they clip into a plastic holder

If you have missing or broken plastic holders, that would allow for rattles to occur.

I had a door-rod rattle that I cured by installing the missing plastic holders. I got the piece(s) from a Fiero at a Kenny-U-Pull.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
If you have missing or broken plastic holders, that would allow for rattles to occur.

I had a door-rod rattle that I cured by installing the missing plastic holders. I got the piece(s) from a Fiero at a Kenny-U-Pull.

At least on my passenger side door, the plastic holders appear to be in good condition. However the clips that hold on the ribbed trim are crispy critters.... Fiero store i guess?

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i received my dew wipes from Silver 85 sc and they are of good quality, and they include an extra flap for the 84 due to the way the outer skin fits on the frame, different than the other years. Rich was kind enuf to send the USPS so i wouldn't be raped at the door by FedEx or UPS here in Canada. Thanks Rich.

However, i don't know what was worse - replacing the fuel pump, rebuilding the steering column or replacing the dew wipe on the passenger side - i still have to do the drivers side. i just did the passenger side because my door handle broke. Same handles as on my S10 - Charlie - i've broken three of those and now one on Freya. Whats wrong with GM anyway? The junkyard handle had a rusted out spring, so i used the spring from my broken handle - i have no rust on my car - and JB welded it in place. Looks like its gonna work fine.

But meanwhile i have a lot of other things to do with Freya. i bot a 3800 SC motor from ol Betsy, a 2002 40th Anniversary GTP, and the sellers had 4 Fieroz (one to drive, one to restore and two parts cars) so i also picked up a headlight harness WITH the module. Yeah buddy. Now i've gotta install that bugger, and i think i will have to remove the brake booster cuz i installed the Sonoma booster (one of the best mods i've ever done) and it interferes with removing and replacing the bolt. In addition, how on earth do you snake the harness in front of the radiator?

It took me and a friend, not on PFF, who drives a Formula 9 hours to pull the motor, with all the wiring in front of the firewall - i didn't get the OBD2 port tho - and get it onto the truck. This summer i will prep and paint the motor - its going stock into Freya - was gonna do some porting on the exhaust manifold but the rusted condition makes me pause.

i'm thinking of silver motor and tranny, black pulleys, red supercharger, dunno about the valve covers, and i want to put a touch of gold somewhere - maybe the gas lines. Question: what kinda paint do i use?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Putting my new motor on the engine stand.

Compression of the cylinders is 123456 - 175,165,175,160,160,170. Seems good to me. i noticed when cranking that the belts were slipping. Turns out that the tensioner for the supercharger is stiff, and the alternator is totally frozen. Can the bearings be replaced in the alternator? Can you lubricate a tensioner, or are they junk?

The spark plugs are the correct heat range - NGK iridium but they are totally black, not oily, carbon. i wonder if the coils are bad, wires are bad or i have a bad computer? Or could it be the fuel?

i decided to frankenstein in my headlight harness. There are 9 wires on the module. Four outputs to the motors and 5 inputs. The yellow, white and black run on gen 1 to a terminal, and two red wires run into the front headlight well. i crimped them all onto the pigtail, and voila! The right headlight motor runs up but not down, the left not at all. A multimeter determines that the wiring is good almost everywhere but to the left motor the terminal is bad. In addition the white wire goes to the dimmer and the dimmer was unplugged. That could be why the motor doesn't go down. When i fix the terminal, i will be able to tell if one of my two modules is good.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ol Betsy being loaded on the trailer:

The lady that sold me the motor from Ol Betsy has a friend that makes these:

So i am having these made:

free online picture upload

Mine will say "Fiero GTP" but of course not until that 3800SC motor is in and running.

What color for a white car with black trim?

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i got the water pump off my motor - and i found the first bolts to break so far on this job. Two 1/4" bolts (out of four). Should not have gotten in a hurry and should have used penetrating oil. Live and learn.

Youtube taught me about a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. i learned that the acetone chemically changes the FeO into FeC which is a brittle molecule and allows the bond to break - not the bolt! Again, live and learn.

Now i get to learn about welding a nut on, also on Youtube.

But i am left with this:

i thot by taking off the water pump i would be next to the block, but no! i guess the inside of the water pump is aluminum, bolted to the block. i would like to replace all gaskets but i am faced with the prospect of removing more stuff. ugh

Anybody know of a tutorial on this?

thanks in advance

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Posting this for my memory. Both holes on the water pump base are intakes - one from the radiator and one from the heater core. In other words they are returns from the radiator and heater core.

Note the orange cord. The outlets from the water pump are not where the orange cord is - they are on the side. Just wanna plumb my car right. Wanna have HOT water going to the heater core.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The obligatory shot of my wiring harness. Looks like spaghetti. Gonna take off the parts that i don't need, but i have decided that it would remain a stock motor - all sensors, the supercharger pulley and the exhaust manifolds. Gotta redo the loom as the one i have is a crispy critter in most places.

jon

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're lucky, the actual wires inside will still be OK.

Here is a recent discussion regarding the best materials to use for re-looming a harness:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143417.html

There was also another discussion about the best (but not the cheapest) heat-reflective tape to use. I suggested the use of "DEI Cool Tape". I can't find that one though.
PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2020 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks pmbrunelle. I definitely will look for the nylon loom. Maybe Amazon? Maybe a small roll of heat reflective tape as well. Question for y'all: i wasn't thinking yesterday and after i cleaned my oil pan (a little sludge in there and a few pieces of metal :-( i painted the outside of Freya's oil pan with Rustoleum (actually Rona's brand Tremclad). Will that cause me problems?

thanks
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2020 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
image host site

i worked on this seemingly all day and this is how far i got. i'm using the Sinister Performance wiring instructions.

http://www.gmtuners.com/fil...o_L67_PCM_wiring.pdf

Its like a puzzle, kinda fun actually, but i know why guys charge so much for building a harness.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Part of my loom had this green stripe on it - kinda hard to see in the pic. i did the best i could.

Is that nylon loom?

jon

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it came from an engine harness of a car, it's probably nylon. Have you tried the float test? Cut off a small piece, and see if it floats or sinks in water. Nylon will sink (provided it doesn't have air bubbles clinging to it), while polyethylene will float.

I don't know what the green stripe means.

You can get rolls of nylon split loom from Amazon, but it's not cheap. I needed a fair amount in one size, so for that particular diameter, I did an Amazon order.

For the rest though, I walked row-by-row through Kenny-U-Pull to pull engine bay split loom in a variety of diameters/lengths. Ideally, you should go into the junkyard with an approximate idea of what you need to complete your project. Loom at Kenny-U-Pull is dirt cheap.

While at the junkyard, bend the loom tight to see if the plastic is brittle and cracks.

Once at home, to take off the filth from junkyard loom (I use this on many parts in general, but be careful with aluminium), I use the blue Easy-Off oven cleaner can.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2020 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean this?

It does indeed warn about using it on aluminum. So much for the water pump housing, the oil filter adapter, n the standoff for the belt roller. You really can use it on plastic tho? i painted my oil pan with regular tremclad paint, it never occurred to me to use high heat paint. Will that be a problem? It warns about using on painted surfaces...And then HOW do you get it off? Water? hmmmm

i bot this for the engine block.

jon

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-11-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that's the blue can I use (fume-free, or rather less fumes). I tried the yellow regular can; the yellow one has more fumes, but doesn't seem to clean any better. Therefore, I like the blue cans.

It's not that the oven cleaner will somehow cause the aluminium to crack and fall apart; if you leave it on for too long (i.e. more than a few minutes), it will corrode the surface of the aluminium first by darkening it, then with unsightly white corrosion. This could be sanded off.

Many plastics will be OK with oven cleaner (but again, not all plastics are created equal). On a car, I haven't had problems with the plastics being attacked by oven cleaner.

A previous owner of my Fiero had the underbody shot with anti-rust grease/wax. To get the greasy gunk off, I had to spray oven cleaner, let it penetrate overnight, then wash the day after. I repeated this perhaps three times. The black paint of the floorpan ended up very clean, but with some white discoloration in places. But that was after maybe 24+ hours of exposure to the oven cleaner. After one hour, I don't think there would be discoloration. I ended up shooting some Rustoleum underneath the car to hide the discoloration.

Following the soak time with oven cleaner (could be from minutes to hours), I wash off the gunk with a bucket of hot water and a rag. With rubber gloves, I submerge the rag in hot water, then I scrub the gunk, with the rag still dripping. The hot water helps to melt the grease; it cleans much better than cold water. For tight areas, I use a toothbrush instead of the rag.

For your oil pan, I guess special high heat paint would be better, but if it's done already, I don't think I'd bother with stripping the existing paint and starting over.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-11-2020).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i decided to go with this paint for the valve covers and the supercharger.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2020 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Due to some guy's help on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/gr...=group_comment_reply

and youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8EnwNlxgI

i realize that i have to remove the crank pulley (also known as the harmonic balancer) to remove the timing chain cover to replace the gasket, cuz there is a lot of oil at the front of my motor. But to do this i have to remove the bolt. i have been soaking the crank pulley with penetrating oil for a week now, and my 1/2" Makita impact won't budge it. My buddy (Bloozeberry) warns me not to try to use a breaker bar due to the possibility of breaking the bolt, but rather use a bigger impact. The local rental place wants $35 a day for an electric impact wrench. Ouch Princess Auto has a 3/4" pneumatic impact for only $39 canuckbucks, plus HST for a $46 out the door special. i'm gonna spring for it unless my impact does the job today.

image host site

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2020 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad ordered something from Princess Auto like two weeks ago... still hasn't arrived. Apparently Canada Post is way behind on deliveries.

FedEx on the other hand, seems to be operating just slightly slower than usual.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Canada Post delivered our Princess Auto order today... it just took a while.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-21-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, i'm gonna try a cuppla things before i spring for an impact wrench. i have till Apr 30 to buy at that price, and i guess i can always order online for delivery if the local store is out. i'm getting up a shopping list for my engine - gaskets, coils, waterpump, timing chain. i notice that things are a lot cheaper at Autozone in the states than at Napa here in NS - even doing the math for the US$ conversion. Plus we will be going thru two states that have no sales tax - (on our way to a wedding) No tax at the border, so its really better to buy in the states. Autozone is my favorite parts store by the way. i will be able to send my shopping list to NHampshire and they will have it ready for me when i arrive. i do wonder tho, why the fuel injector rebuild kits aren't available there any longer. Its not like no one has these L67 engines anymore.

i guess another thing is that the alternator is seized up on the 3800 - and so i either have to fix it - will a bearing kit fix it? Dunno until i tear it down. If i use Freyaz Duke alternator, i will have to change the pulley. So many decisions - i'm sure that youtube will have a video on how to change pulleys.

jon

------------------

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the injector stuff from ebay. comes in packs of 8 so you get two extra. less than $20 shipped for all the o-rings, pintle caps and filters.
that was a couple years ago though.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:
I got the injector stuff from ebay.

so i assume that you are happy with the quality after a cuppla years.

jon

------------------

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well.. it's hardly ran for those years so I can't really speak on the durability.
but sure, they seemed fine. for $20 you can't go wrong really. The more I read about "flow matching" used injectors the more I realized it was just worth it to clean and maintain the stock ones.

they're good for about a 3.2" pulley anyways.. much smaller than that I'd have to upgrade
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip on looking on ebay. Autozone wanted a lot of money for the gaskets for the engine - on Ebay i found ZZperformance had then significantly cheaper, and then on their website, cheaper still. The have the o rings too. And the ZZP coils were a lot cheaper than Autozone, and possibly better quality. Whatcha think about the quality of ZZP gaskets compared to felpro?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2020 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
N then doing some more reading, i realize that new (or rebuilt) injectors are not that expensive, and might be worth springing for them to prevent problems upon startup. My alternator is not only seized up, the case is cracked and therefore unusable for a core, and unworthy to be rebuilt. So i guess i use the alternator off the Duke. ZZP seems to be emerging as the lowest cost solution to a whole bunch of problems. Their rating on eBay is one of the highest that i have seen. The ZZP coils are cheaper than they are at Autozone, and the red ones look real cool.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2020 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look what came out all covered in ATF and acetone:

Gives me enuf confidence to (maybe) remove my exhaust bolts. Been soaking them in ATF and acetone everyday for weeks now. Used a 1/2" socket 1/2" drive, rachet at half mast, and i removed 2 bolts. More ATF and acetone and 10 more to go.

jon

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2020 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crankshaft bolt? Did you use the Princess Auto impact wrench for that?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Crankshaft bolt? Did you use the Princess Auto impact wrench for that?

Yup, crankshaft bolt! No, i didn't buy the impact at Princess Auto, the sale was on till Apr 30 so i just poured ATF and acetone into it several times a day and used my 1/2" Makita several times a day to rattle it around. Then i prayed, and just after praying it started to actually turn, then zipped out. i am beginning to believe what a guy on Youtube said that the C in the acetone displaced the O in the rust and created ferric carbonate - a brittle substance. Maybe next week i will see if some of the other bolts will turn on the exhaust manifold. i began to think about what you were saying and since i plan to buy a gasket kit from ZZP that includes the manifold gaskets, if i am careful and work slowly (i was in a hurry to remove the rest of the tailpipe from the manifold and now i have to pay the price and drill them out.

N, digging around on the web i learned about Alum - available at Bulk Barn. Alum will destroy steel, but leave the aluminum alone.

Alum in the form of potassium aluminium sulphate or ammonium aluminium sulfate in a concentrated bath of hot water is regularly used by jewelers and machinists to dissolve hardened steel drill bits that have broken off in items made of aluminum, copper, brass, gold (any karat) and silver (both sterling and fine). This is because alum does not react chemically to any significant degree with any of these metals, but will corrode steel. When heat is applied to an alum mixture holding a piece of work that has a drill bit stuck in it, if the lost bit is small enough, it can sometimes be dissolved / removed within hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

i have some bolts stuck in my supercharger - the ones that hold the accessory rack on - which are not thru the supercharger into the intake manifold, but rather end in the supercharger, so i can remove the supercharger (soaking those bolts everyday too) and deal with the stuck bolts. Their heads rounded off - i am not happy with the quality of many fasteners on the 3800 and have found that some of them round off cuz they are best fit with an SAE socket rather than a metric - that's why i say that there is a mix of fasteners on the motor. Thats why i am using a 1/2" socket on the exhaust manifold bolts - just fits better than 13mm. Now i know why Canadian Tire oftentimes includes both in their sets.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001

i have taken out three of the studs along with only one of the nuts. 4 down 8 to go. No breakage so far. The nuts are stuck on the studs, buy new studs and nuts?

jon

------------------

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001

This is what made me decide to remove the exhaust manifolds. i now have gotten 10 of the twelve nuts/studs off the exhaust manifold. Soaking the others some more. i put the studs with the nuts into the ATF acetone mix to soak overnite. (or a week or a month...)

jon

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-26-2020).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build. And i say red for the window decal.

Bob

------------------

My Build

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Bob, i'm doing my best, first swap ive ever done. Newbie. OK, one vote for red. Anybody else?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001

Bot this male/female elbow for the oil pressure sensor. Seems to fit OK, but not perfect. Anybody know if this will work? What about brass? Will it work with the other metals in the system?
thanks
jon
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steel would be better, I have had issues with brass fittings leaking at the threads due to the difference in the coefficient of expansion between differing metals.

If you overtighten the brass fitting or the sender into the brass, the brass fitting may crack.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-27-2020).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Olejoedad, thats the kind of info that i need.

Bot this at Princess auto:

Only $15 canuckbucks and some 6mmx1x80mm bolts. We shall see if they are long enuf or whether i should look for 90mm bolts.

Whacha think?

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alum available at bulk barn. Useful for dissolving steel stuck in aluminum, like for instance a bolt stuck in the supercharger.

jon

------------------

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's also available in the spice section at most groceries.
It's used in making pickles.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2020 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My idea for a motor mount. The left side might (will) hit the drive shaft so i might (will) have to cut at line A or B. Dunno which rite now. Any idears?

i am using the Dodge 1979 truck with the 318 V8 motor mounts. Only $10 canuckbucks each. Such a deal.

jon

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-30-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock