Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap by longjonsilver
Started on: 05-07-2018 06:59 PM
Replies: 126 (4118 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 03-29-2020 07:24 AM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then again, the thot hit me that rubber tubing, like used for vacuum hoses under the hood, might be ideal for muffling the rattling of the door rods. There are places where they clip into a plastic holder, so the rubber would need to be cut to fit. Gonna check it out and will report back.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bot this gum rubber tubing - surgical tubing - from Canadian Tire. Gonna try it on Freya's door rods to fight rattles and clangs. The tubing is real soft and bouncy - should absorb vibration very well.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:
There are places where they clip into a plastic holder

If you have missing or broken plastic holders, that would allow for rattles to occur.

I had a door-rod rattle that I cured by installing the missing plastic holders. I got the piece(s) from a Fiero at a Kenny-U-Pull.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
If you have missing or broken plastic holders, that would allow for rattles to occur.

I had a door-rod rattle that I cured by installing the missing plastic holders. I got the piece(s) from a Fiero at a Kenny-U-Pull.

At least on my passenger side door, the plastic holders appear to be in good condition. However the clips that hold on the ribbed trim are crispy critters.... Fiero store i guess?

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i received my dew wipes from Silver 85 sc and they are of good quality, and they include an extra flap for the 84 due to the way the outer skin fits on the frame, different than the other years. Rich was kind enuf to send the USPS so i wouldn't be raped at the door by FedEx or UPS here in Canada. Thanks Rich.

However, i don't know what was worse - replacing the fuel pump, rebuilding the steering column or replacing the dew wipe on the passenger side - i still have to do the drivers side. i just did the passenger side because my door handle broke. Same handles as on my S10 - Charlie - i've broken three of those and now one on Freya. Whats wrong with GM anyway? The junkyard handle had a rusted out spring, so i used the spring from my broken handle - i have no rust on my car - and JB welded it in place. Looks like its gonna work fine.

But meanwhile i have a lot of other things to do with Freya. i bot a 3800 SC motor from ol Betsy, a 2002 40th Anniversary GTP, and the sellers had 4 Fieroz (one to drive, one to restore and two parts cars) so i also picked up a headlight harness WITH the module. Yeah buddy. Now i've gotta install that bugger, and i think i will have to remove the brake booster cuz i installed the Sonoma booster (one of the best mods i've ever done) and it interferes with removing and replacing the bolt. In addition, how on earth do you snake the harness in front of the radiator?

It took me and a friend, not on PFF, who drives a Formula 9 hours to pull the motor, with all the wiring in front of the firewall - i didn't get the OBD2 port tho - and get it onto the truck. This summer i will prep and paint the motor - its going stock into Freya - was gonna do some porting on the exhaust manifold but the rusted condition makes me pause.

i'm thinking of silver motor and tranny, black pulleys, red supercharger, dunno about the valve covers, and i want to put a touch of gold somewhere - maybe the gas lines. Question: what kinda paint do i use?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Putting my new motor on the engine stand.

Compression of the cylinders is 123456 - 175,165,175,160,160,170. Seems good to me. i noticed when cranking that the belts were slipping. Turns out that the tensioner for the supercharger is stiff, and the alternator is totally frozen. Can the bearings be replaced in the alternator? Can you lubricate a tensioner, or are they junk?

The spark plugs are the correct heat range - NGK iridium but they are totally black, not oily, carbon. i wonder if the coils are bad, wires are bad or i have a bad computer? Or could it be the fuel?

i decided to frankenstein in my headlight harness. There are 9 wires on the module. Four outputs to the motors and 5 inputs. The yellow, white and black run on gen 1 to a terminal, and two red wires run into the front headlight well. i crimped them all onto the pigtail, and voila! The right headlight motor runs up but not down, the left not at all. A multimeter determines that the wiring is good almost everywhere but to the left motor the terminal is bad. In addition the white wire goes to the dimmer and the dimmer was unplugged. That could be why the motor doesn't go down. When i fix the terminal, i will be able to tell if one of my two modules is good.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageClick Here to Email longjonsilverSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ol Betsy being loaded on the trailer:

The lady that sold me the motor from Ol Betsy has a friend that makes these:

So i am having these made:

free online picture upload

Mine will say "Fiero GTP" but of course not until that 3800SC motor is in and running.

What color for a white car with black trim?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock