Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26729 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you are going to be making more boost than anybody on here....

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Nosrac,
Interesting, did mustangs make that exhaust setup, is that log on the front side bought or built? I see your turbo flange in there, what are you planning to do to support the turbocharger that thing is quite large. I am interested to see how this thread comes along and what you wind up with as far as installation and final performance. It certainly looks good aside from the bits already mentioned. That intake looks very nice. Are you planning to just use the transmission you are already using or will you be upgrading before you install? Post as many pics as you can...peace

Pete

I don't have anything to do with his turbo built. The exhaust is a ZZP power log with a ported front manifold that has been coated. The exhaust piece coming off the trunk was bought off E-bay if I remember right. The turbo has a support bracket underneath it for support. Nosrac can fill in what I missed....
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh sorry man I was under the impression you were building this setup for him in your shop.... Thanks for the info tho. It is looking pretty good so far. Peace

Pete

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is the wastegate going?

------------------
'04 Mazda RX8 Build Thread
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

Going to the xceed bbq saturday?

------------------
11.54@132.7

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Going to the xceed bbq saturday?

Nope. Motorstadt IX (Michigan VW Enthusiasts) is the same day and I will be working my a** off at that show.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh sorry man I was under the impression you were building this setup for him in your shop.... Thanks for the info tho. It is looking pretty good so far. Peace

Pete

I was supposed to be but had several other cars in front on his and he wanted it done by July so he is using his old mechanic..I agree the swap is looking good so far and will be very nice when complete..
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

In the x-over pipe bend before the rear manifold connection. It should make a good dump to the exhaust. Also changing springs will be easy peasy.
I think this is how DH mounted his.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I don't have anything to do with his turbo built. The exhaust is a ZZP power log with a ported front manifold that has been coated. The exhaust piece coming off the trunk was bought off E-bay if I remember right. The turbo has a support bracket underneath it for support. Nosrac can fill in what I missed....

I don't like that Turbo downpipe from ebay. I'll use it until I can finish the exhaust design as the engine needs to be in the car for measurments so I know what I'm working with.
I have several ideas but need to see how things will line up. I'll take a better pics of the support brackets as I do like what he came up with.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Looks like you are going to be making more boost than anybody on here....

Let me guess, It is because you don't see a wastegate?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Let me guess, It is because you don't see a wastegate?

Infinite boost.

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get that ugly alternator moved.

I know right as I plan to get this low mount setup when I upgrade the trans.
Mstangs tried it before with the low mount with the dog bone in stock location it didn't work out so well because I have the Fiero Addiction brackets that alow for the alt in stock location without notching decklid.

Any suggestions on where to get a low mount setup like this?

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

and the supercharger tensioner bits.

Done !
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get the welder and sawzall out... Its simple enough.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think something like that can be done used with the 97/98 style Alt that has the big song style mouting piece off it. I have seen it used before and will see if I can find the picture of it being used. I remember it mountain straight to the head then a lower bracket is built.
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks familiar, personally I would go with the older style alt like mustang says. Easier to mount up. couple spacers and a bracket n its done. The dog bone mount is just made using a hiem joint, flat stock bent in a U shape and welded to the cradle, the other is a plate with a stud welded to the back side and drilled for power steering holes. I had a couple spacers made that bolt to the head that space the alt out and hold the tensioner pulley spaced out right. The guy I had make them has 1 more on his shelf I think. He charged me 75 ea. though.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005
Do you guys see any clearence issues with the FriendOfYours low mount setup? I can't tell until I measure with actual part.
I was attempting to buy "kit" parts for proven bolt-on without issues but the mechanic is proving to be a pretty good Fabricator.
This will at least give him the right Idea and I think he can go from there.
Some other low mounts put the Alt very low which I think would interfere with the Turbo.

Shot of where I think the Low mount should go but not exactly sure how it mounts.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what size of pulley are you going to run?

( <--- runs from thread giggling...)
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

what size of pulley are you going to run?

( <--- runs from thread giggling...)

The almighty 3.0...and you know this....man !

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest problem with the low mount over there is usually plug wire related
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The biggest problem with the low mount over there is usually plug wire related

The plug wire is close but if you use an angle plug there are not issues. Kinda of a pain to put it on but not that bad....
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

The plug wire is close but if you use an angle plug there are not issues. Kinda of a pain to put it on but not that bad....

Where can I buy it as I haven't seen one.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Where can I buy it as I haven't seen one.

Buy what? Angles plug? I am pretty sure that is what your car already has on it....Been a while but that is what I normally use...
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never seen me one of those new fangled things you call angle plugs. Must be hard to thread in and a little longer than normal to miss the head turning it in. All kidding aside I know you meant angled plug wire. To those who say its hard to get a plug wire on look at the pic I posted. Easy enough for me.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dementia:

Never seen me one of those new fangled things you call angle plugs. Must be hard to thread in and a little longer than normal to miss the head turning it in. All kidding aside I know you meant angled plug wire. To those who say its hard to get a plug wire on look at the pic I posted. Easy enough for me.

Pretty easy if you use a hammer and have good aim......
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I missing something? I looked at the pics of the turbo mount several times and all I can see is the flange welded to the header piping and not much else? I was expecting some kinda rod or bar going to the block or something like that after all the hubub surrounding the similar setup on one of Darkhorizon's builds.... Not sure any of it is necessary as I have never built such a thing (YET) but I would personally have fabbed up some sorta mount support. What kinda gaskets do you use if any between the turbo flange and the turbo? It is looking good man and I can't wait to see it shoehorned into the car and ripping up the strip for ya....hehe peace

Pete

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Am I missing something? I looked at the pics of the turbo mount several times and all I can see is the flange welded to the header piping and not much else? I was expecting some kinda rod or bar going to the block or something like that after all the hubub surrounding the similar setup on one of Darkhorizon's builds.... Not sure any of it is necessary as I have never built such a thing (YET) but I would personally have fabbed up some sorta mount support. What kinda gaskets do you use if any between the turbo flange and the turbo? It is looking good man and I can't wait to see it shoehorned into the car and ripping up the strip for ya....hehe peace

Pete

There is a support that is under the turbo but not in the pictures...It will be supported by a brace along with bolted/welded on to the manifold.....
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The turbo is not really all that heavy.... The factory exhaust system hangs off there and that is only a 2 bolt flange.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pete

There will be a brace under the turbo going to the block. I did not get a good pic the first time and the second time I attempted a pic the mechanic had it off as he was making another one.

I promise I will get some good pics of it as it looks real good. I don't think I really need it but it definetly won't hurt. The turbo is NOT as heavy as the Holset's and them seem to be holding up fine with NO additional bracing.

BAD pics of bracket

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 06-06-2012).]

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks to be shaping up man... What is the story with the exhaust setup there, is that braided piece going to just dump out or is there more to it than that? Can hardly see the bracketry for the turbo but I think I get the jist of it from the pics. That is gonna be a real monster when you get it all dialed in. Does the guy doing the install for you know these motors and tuning them in the fiero real good or are you going to be doing that yourself? Are those injector logs ZZP? What do you think the time frame is on this monster? Gonna have it done by the summer's end? It sure will be nice to have another fast fiero around here to learn from. Thanks for sharing the pictures and progress updates. Peace

Pete
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found one....LOL
There will be two brackets one on each Nut....

PFF
System Bot
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That turbo drain line is going to have a hard time once the trans is in the way. I don't think there is enough space to do that. I ended up running a scavenge pump and feeding it into the front of the pan. Looking good though.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, otherwise stock L36.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks to be shaping up man... What is the story with the exhaust setup there, is that braided piece going to just dump out or is there more to it than that? Can hardly see the bracketry for the turbo but I think I get the jist of it from the pics. That is gonna be a real monster when you get it all dialed in. Does the guy doing the install for you know these motors and tuning them in the fiero real good or are you going to be doing that yourself? Are those injector logs ZZP? What do you think the time frame is on this monster? Gonna have it done by the summer's end? It sure will be nice to have another fast fiero around here to learn from. Thanks for sharing the pictures and progress updates. Peace

Pete

I was seriously thinking about attaching a ricer fart can on the end of this ebay exhaust downpipe.... J/K

This exhaust is only for mock up as I purchased some mandrel bends and a straight through muffler. However, the engine needs to be in the car for proper mock up and placement.

I plan on routing only to one exhaust tip and just put the other tip on for symmetry but it won't be connected to anything.

I will be doing the tuning and I got that in the bag

Yes, ZZP logs

Should be done in a few weeks, if I quit buying sh!t and having to wait on snail mail.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by LFiero67:

That turbo drain line is going to have a hard time once the trans is in the way. I don't think there is enough space to do that. I ended up running a scavenge pump and feeding it into the front of the pan. Looking good though.

Didn't even see that one comming so I guess that will be an oh sh!t moment when they try to mount the trans.

I though Justin had his routed like that? DUH...5 speed

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 06-06-2012).]

RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just a sugestion !! why not get a L26 aluminum oil pan and use the 3800 oil level indicator plug in the oil pan as your oil return from turbo !! It will be on fire wall side away fro trans !

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

just a sugestion !! why not get a L26 aluminum oil pan and use the 3800 oil level indicator plug in the oil pan as your oil return from turbo !! It will be on fire wall side away fro trans !

Hmmmm
Does the L26 pan have larger capacity? As I can just move the return plug to the fire wall side now.
I wanted to use gravity drain for reliability but I may need to get a scavenge pump.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its good practice to return the oil above the oil level in the pan, with a constant down slope the entire way. Draining it to the front would have to go uphill and would flow into the bottom of the pan.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cause the oil would not drain and cause it to back up into the turbo and make a smoke show...Oil level sensor hole is not high enough. Also the steel oil.pans have the same sensor..
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

decent, but there are better options...

Its good practice to return the oil above the oil level in the pan, with a constant down slope the entire way. Draining it to the front would have to go uphill and would flow into the bottom of the pan.

Mine has had a slight up slope for years now and I have never had an issue. I never ran a restrictor either.

A alum pan will let you fish it around the diff cover without much problem I am switching to alum soon on my race car for better oil pump related things.
RULOOKIN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like the aluminum better i assume you can drill and tap a hole much easier in aluminum anywhere you want !!
aluminum oil pan is what i used on my 3800sc build and no mods needed to fit with PR or fieroX mounts and the aluminum pan has a built in windage tray as the L67 one is part of the gasget ! aluminum pan no gasget needed just RTV ....
you will need the L26 oil pick up if you go this route !

Nice build you have going on !
also noticed in another thread you are looking for a dog bone idea !! NO DOG BONE

this mount is welded to the cradle only and blots to the block in 2 places at the center of the crank, Nice and tight looks a bit messy but, was cleaned up and painted, no interfearance of AC pump or any other things,
here is another pic before i welded it in place as you can see i used a 1985 gas engine strut mount with the 1 by 1 square bar it was all bolted for fitment the welded !

[This message has been edited by RULOOKIN (edited 06-07-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock