Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 20)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26726 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the way your turbo should come on, I'd say it will either spin, or 60' hard. I was looking at my logs from last year, and realized my 1.49 60' was a 5 lb launch, and my boost controller ramped to 18 psi in 2.2 seconds. Had a 5 psi/sec limit that I had overlooked. With a manual boost controller, there is no ramp in other than the speed at which the turbo spins up. That might be why yours is spinning as well, with no limit on ramp rate I can do 15 psi in less than a second from cruising vacuum, that will hit the tires hard from a stop. If you hook it up, the car is going to fly.
IP: Logged
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never broken a 65e either.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, that's funny. Thanks
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never broken a 4t80
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

It's not a big deal, but for him to say he's never broken anything, every time I post about an issue, it gets old, I shouldn't let it bug me, but it does. Guys like FieroX, Don Kraus, etc that have run 1.4 and 1.5 60' times have seen the same issues I have. I've got no issue with people taking it easy out of the hole to save parts, but I don't see anyone else talking about their lack of failures when someone else has issues. It's just trolling, and I guess i should expect it from him.

Fierox broke axles because they were just designed wrong, don broke going into 2nd gear.

I leave a little on the table in the first 30 feet at the track because i know my trans is on borrowed time.. But everywhere else I go as hard as I can go. First gear still never fails to suck the blood from my brain and blur my vision good, so i think you are quite off base when you say I am taking it "super easy".

I also ran a BONE STOCK 65e for years without issues and hard launches.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
I also ran a BONE STOCK 65e for years without issues and hard launches.

But you didn't say (this time) that you had it shifting so softly the BOV would sneeze a bit.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-03-2013).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

But you didn't say (this time) that you had it shifting so softly to BOV would sneeze a bit.

Yeah, it was really sweet. Worked damn well and you couldnt complain at the .1 seconds lost to some extreme torque management settings.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update, The stuck -9.3 LTFT was solved by starting over with a new base tune.
I know BV and a lot of other guys on the internet had the same issue.
I'm not sure what causes the issue but I will search for the root cause.
I also re-gapped the AL 103 spark plugs to .060 but that didn't seem to make any difference on turbo "hit".
The thing did "hit" hard on stock plugs so if it isn't the gap it may be the heat range???
Hell, the hidden power maybe unleashed with the tuning as the new base tune hasn't been optimized for performance yet.
If I don't get the "hit" back then I will test with some stock plugs and then on to the ALS as I need her to light them up off the line.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Update, The stuck -9.3 LTFT was solved by starting over with a new base tune.
I know BV and a lot of other guys on the internet had the same issue.
I'm not sure what causes the issue but I will search for the root cause.
I also re-gapped the AL 103 spark plugs to .060 but that didn't seem to make any difference on turbo "hit".
The thing did "hit" hard on stock plugs so if it isn't the gap it may be the heat range???
Hell, the hidden power maybe unleashed with the tuning as the new base tune hasn't been optimized for performance yet.
If I don't get the "hit" back then I will test with some stock plugs and then on to the ALS as I need her to light them up off the line.

Now you have my full attention.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....hing did "hit" hard ....

Here we go again

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

With the way your turbo should come on, I'd say it will either spin, or 60' hard. I was looking at my logs from last year, and realized my 1.49 60' was a 5 lb launch, and my boost controller ramped to 18 psi in 2.2 seconds. Had a 5 psi/sec limit that I had overlooked. With a manual boost controller, there is no ramp in other than the speed at which the turbo spins up. That might be why yours is spinning as well, with no limit on ramp rate I can do 15 psi in less than a second from cruising vacuum, that will hit the tires hard from a stop. If you hook it up, the car is going to fly.

What boost controller are you using, and what turbo? I think I read Precision 6262 and a .63a/r hot side but was that a T3 turbine housing or T4?

and Nosrac is running a 6266 with a .81 T4 hot side?

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

What boost controller are you using, and what turbo? I think I read Precision 6262 and a .63a/r hot side but was that a T3 turbine housing or T4?

and Nosrac is running a 6266 with a .81 T4 hot side?

6266 with a T4 .68 hot side
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is a 6262 0.63 T3.

Boost controller is ISAC, designed by some turbo Buick guys.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a little more testing and tuning and can finally enjoy a ride around town.

One thing I noticed is that my exhaust velocity was significantly greater at idle when I could burn rubber off the line. What would increases the exhaust velocity at idle( lean condition)?

Currently it purrs @ 800 rpm at idle and the exhaust velocity and sound is tame as compared to before.

I like the tame sound but need to figure out why I can't burn rubber on launch anymore.

I am still trying to get back to that speed hitz....LOL

I know the car has it in her as I felt it before and see Formula's car do it on the regular. I'm just not sure what the issue is..yet
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you stop saying "hits".. It is completely non descriptive and pointless information.

Give some real data, psi/afr, logs, spool rpm, observed lag, timing, etc. Also suggest going open loop unless you really know what you are doing with that setup.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 06-10-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monthly bump...

In the meantime, I fixed my shift cable..

http://www.viddler.com/v/94fae5c9
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats that app on your phone?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ulysse speedometer in HUD mode (non reversed) it has a lot of great features for a free app, highly configurable if you spend a few mins with it.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Monthly bump...

Nothing to report on my car, There is new baby in the house and she is awesome.

The Fiero is on the back burner....for the moment.

Your car however, is scweet.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

http://shop.zzperformance.c...-ZZP-1-Chainset.aspx

WoW .... $1G. Is it really worth that much?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seven fidy
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If it really can hold over 400whp reliably then yes.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They've got a monopoly on 1 inch chains...
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Any updates?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Bump. Any updates?

There will be updates in the near future on this swap...Keep an eye out...
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

There will be updates in the near future on this swap...Keep an eye out...

Well the near future is finally getting here...Should be at its new home this Sunday and under evaluation....Stayed tuned for a new Thread..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock