Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26727 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope your trans is well built, my 4340 input shaft lasted 5 days. Then a brand new chain didn't make it through a tank of gas. All street use on drag radials, no track runs.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, otherwise stock L36.

IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Hope your trans is well built, my 4340 input shaft lasted 5 days. Then a brand new chain didn't make it through a tank of gas. All street use on drag radials, no track runs.

It's not.......So that will be the next upgrade......
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find the stock hard parts hold up if you shift it soft.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sheesh..I assume you HAD a stock trans?
I was trying to set up my turbo system for smoooth acceleration and NOT Blast off to the moon, wheelie stands when I punch it. That is why I didn't get drag radials on the SC setup.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-11-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I find the stock hard parts hold up if you shift it soft.

Exactly how do you do that in an Auto?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-11-2012).]

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trans was in my car for years running 11s with blower, wheels up to 1.5x 60' times. Lots of street use with drag radials on all the time. Besides a few freshening of the clutches/chain and one broken input sprag, no issues. Zzp 4340 input shaft and chromoly pump shaft, 3.29 7/8" single chain, Neal chance converter, Triple Edge Performance input and 2nd clutches, Z-PAC 3rd. Not stock for sure.

5 days with turbo, input shaft shattered into 8 pieces, took out converter, input gear, channel plate sleeve, pump shaft, thrust washers.

Got it back together last month. One day on dyno and 3 trips around town testing and tuning, and could hear new chain hitting inside of case. Took it apart and found the front trans mount poly was torn apart, and rear mount bracket was bent up at 20-30 degree angle. Need to add two upper motor mounts. Inside trans, input reluctor had been pounded out, wrecking input gear, and chain was stretched enough to lightly buff inside of trans case. Going to try a few things on Dave at TEPs suggestion and hope it makes it through the summer.

I'm sure a t4 turbo will be a little smoother in power application. I know darkhorizon has stated he doesn't get full boost until 2nd gear, I've got it in less then a second, and long before 2nd gear. Might have to slow it down with the boost controller. I wish you good luck with the trans, but think 500 whp will be breaking stuff before the summer is out.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, otherwise stock L36.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 05-11-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Sheesh..I assume you HAD a stock trans?
I was trying to set up my turbo system for smoooth acceleration and NOT Blast off to the moon, wheelie stands when I punch it. That is why I didn't get drag radials on the SC setup.

The key to a happy auto is plenty of traction, soft shifting, and a "soft" connection with the ground (aka bias ply tires, or at the least some low pressure drag radials).

The real problem I see in these transmissions is earth shattering 1-2 shifts... It seems to break everything.... I had my BONE STOCK trans in the 10s because I had some really soft 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in there... and many people can attest to my car looking like a manual would when it shifted (the bov would even sneeze a bit). I ran beefed out torque management (so no timing during the shifts), and some fancy trickery to add tons of fuel during the shift to help soften up the power coming out of the motor. The shift pressures in the pcm were about halfway between "typical maxxed out tuned" and stock, shift times were nearly zero ( I think stock is .3?), the "around town" pressures were pretty much stock, and there was no shift kit in the trans.

I never antilagged the old T3/stock trans setup, but I did run a few 1.7 60s on drag radials and the craptastic foot brake...

The GMR trans I have now gets shifted like a dragster, but it has the 1inch chain/flexplate/super input shaft to keep things in line.

I know darkhorizon has stated he doesn't get full boost until 2nd gear,

Antilag / E85 fixed that "problem" I am pretty sure I saw a wheelie last year, and I know I have all 27psi before 2st gear hits....... When I had the T3 it would make full 15psi well before 2nd gear in every case. The real problem with the current setup is the fact that it just is making the power and shifting out of 1st well before the boost has a chance to catch up.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped the Car off ..... The countdown to Turbo begins.

I'm kinda worried about my stock trans but I guess I just wont turn up the boost past 14 PSI until I can get that upgraded......Rriiiight

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm kinda worried about my stock trans but I guess I just wont turn up the boost past 14 PSI until I can get that upgraded......Rriiiight

I hear you! I am running an F23 in my car. I too am worried if it will hold up. If it breaks, I have the 4T65HD that came with my L67. I'll have it built and use some stronger axles as well. Whats the point of having a powerful car if you are afraid its gonna break the first time you run it down the strip at full chat? And that bugs the hell out of me and mine isnt even done yet!
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
14 psi was already a fair bit over 400 RWHP...

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You will probably be more than happy with 14-15psi.... It should get you every bit of mid to low 10s.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You will probably be more than happy with 14-15psi.... It should get you every bit of mid to low 10s.

I hope so...but speed is addictive.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I recall, you were going to trap higher than anyone on here. Going to take more than 14psi.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:
As I recall, you were going to trap higher than anyone on here. Going to take more than 14psi.

Thx 4 The Reminder.... but can I get an upgraded transmission first.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are going to need more than an upgraded transmission... I havent told anyone that I have one of the few remaining 160+mph ecotec GMR transmissions.... and its night and day from joe blows built transmission.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are going to need more than an upgraded transmission... I havent told anyone that I have one of the few remaining 160+mph ecotec GMR transmissions.... and its night and day from joe blows built transmission.

What's the info on this? Is it something that may be reproduceable? If so, you could have a goldmine on your hands.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

What's the info on this? Is it something that may be reproduceable? If so, you could have a goldmine on your hands.

No. It would be impossible to reproduce my trans. There is only one person that I know of that could rebuild mine if I ever broke it... it is possible that he could replicate a trans that would do things similar to mine
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No. It would be impossible to reproduce my trans. There is only one person that I know of that could rebuild mine if I ever broke it... it is possible that he could replicate a trans that would do things similar to mine

Would that require the "no longer made" 1" chain?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know where one is but it is a straight race trans....It was built for the Eco-Tec race team....has a 1 inch chain, no 4rth gear and many other upgraded parts...It was built to handle what ever was thrown at it. I didnt get all the details being I didnt need the trans but can get you in touch with the guy that has it......
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume your talking about Marty... I know he was trying to sell it in December. I bought the SFI 4.1 trans blanket that he had. Tried to sell me the race trans too. I should have taken it, I'd be further ahead $$$ wise now. I think it has rediculously steep gearing though, like 4.57 or something. Need some really tall tires for that. Anyone ever fit a 31" tall slick on a Fiero LOL.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I know where one is but it is a straight race trans....It was built for the Eco-Tec race team....has a 1 inch chain, no 4rth gear and many other upgraded parts...It was built to handle what ever was thrown at it. I didnt get all the details being I didnt need the trans but can get you in touch with the guy that has it......

OK. Pm me details
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume your talking about Marty... I know he was trying to sell it in December. I bought the SFI 4.1 trans blanket that he had. Tried to sell me the race trans too. I should have taken it, I'd be further ahead $$$ wise now. I think it has rediculously steep gearing though, like 4.57 or something. Need some really tall tires for that. Anyone ever fit a 31" tall slick on a Fiero LOL.

Even the 3.93 FDR in my 3800/F23 is pretty steep, each gear goes by pretty fast if I don't want to rev the crap out of it.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been toying around with the idea of a racer. Are you willing to share the guy's contact info?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

I've been toying around with the idea of a racer. Are you willing to share the guy's contact info?

Giving up on the F40?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Giving up on the F40?

Nah, eyeing a notchie....
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Giving up on the F40?

Top Secret.

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Did I forget to mention that I NOT only will have the Fastest trapping Fiero but also the cleanest Turbo swap too?

My Sheet will be so clean you aint even see the turbo or Big Azz IC. Just going to be mesmerized by the L26 candy coating.
They will only know it's turbo'ed because of the wicket sounding spool and Pshhh of the BOV.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trapping just 140 is a lot harder than you think it is...
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did I forget to mention that I NOT only will have the Fastest trapping Fiero but also the cleanest Turbo swap too?

My Sheet will be so clean you aint even see the turbo or Big Azz IC. Just going to be mesmerized by the L26 candy coating.
They will only know it's turbo'ed because of the wicket sounding spool and Pshhh of the BOV.

Hehe Oh man you sure like to stir the pot Dontcha!! With talk like this you had better be showing us one wicked fast and super clean car when you are finished with it. I for one wish you the best of luck but I will be watching for the **** storm if you don't make it happen hahaha.... I just want to see a nice mid 9 second 3800 turbo fiero so I have something to shoot for. These tranny issues are really frustrating and I have not even started my motor build yet. If that car is anything like it is now but with maybe a hundred or so more HP you are really gonna be flying.... Good luck man and ........HURRY UP!! peace

Pete

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Trapping just 140 is a lot harder than you think it is...

I know, I'm just talking a lil' smack.

You have the bullet proof Trans, Almighty Turbo, & 200 proof Octane so....
just borrow Justin's 1 Hella Driver Mod, Fix your 25 year old stock suspension, and get "the works" car cash and that's a....9.89@141...
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hehe
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And and and and..... one day I'll put my shtbox back together and play with the 'big boys' again... The 'new toy' feeling of my V-series is starting to subside, time to get back into something fast.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

And and and and..... one day I'll put my shtbox back together and play with the 'big boys' again... The 'new toy' feeling of my V-series is starting to subside, time to get back into something fast.

Now you're talking man.. I love that video of your dyno run.... MOST impressive. How far are you from Knoxville man I would LOVE to see your car in person. Nice work...peace

Pete

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And and and and..... something fast.

I Know, Right!
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Hehe Oh man you sure like to stir the pot Dontcha!! With talk like this you had better be showing us one wicked fast and super clean car when you are finished with it. I for one wish you the best of luck but I will be watching for the **** storm if you don't make it happen hahaha.... I just want to see a nice mid 9 second 3800 turbo fiero so I have something to shoot for. These tran NY issues are really frustrating and I have not even started my motor build yet. If that car is anything like it is now but with maybe a hundred or so more HP you are really gonna be flying.... Good luck man and ........HURRY UP!! peace

Pete

I know Right!

Thx,
All in good fun.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll destroy you all with my blue smoke belching 4.9!...from the smell of it.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete, I'm in charlotte, so however far that is. Relatively speaking, i'm new to the area. Clubgp mall section has been really, really good lately. I'm hopin newly acquired parts are going to light a fire under my butt... That is, if I can ever wrap up these 13hr work days..
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you getting back into the game.

------------------
11.54@132.7

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pete, I'm in charlotte, so however far that is. Relatively speaking, i'm new to the area. Clubgp mall section has been really, really good lately. I'm hopin newly acquired parts are going to light a fire under my butt... That is, if I can ever wrap up these 13hr work days..

I have been wondering where you have been....Haven't seen much of you around.....Your car will be a beast on the auto....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock