Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26729 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

nosrac, any updates on your car?

Nope...
IP: Logged
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
edit, dumb phone.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 11-29-2012).]

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ummm... update?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is stored for the winter but I plan to get back to it early in the new year.
I'll update the thread with the good, the bad and the slow, as I can't do ugly and it is currently NOT fast.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

I'll update the thread with the good, the bad and the slow, as I can't do ugly and it is currently NOT fast.

Who would have ever guess that mine may be "done" before yours?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 12-18-2012).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Who would have ever guess that mine may be "done" before yours?

A bunch of us are trying to see who gets finished first apparently. I think I'm probably closest, but who knows anymore.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heck, mine might be done before then and I haven't even technically started yet.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

A bunch of us are trying to see who gets finished first apparently. I think I'm probably closest, but who knows anymore.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the auto back out of my car. I had it installed on a separate cradle, with the larger axles, spindles, hubs, tie rods, etc. Turns out I just didn't have the time to finish all the things I wanted to do to it. I'll keep the auto on the other cradle (mounts hold it in place even w/o the engine bolted on) and bolt up a spare 3800 to finish up the wiring, exhaust, new alt mount, etc. whenever I can find free time in the future. Hopefully I'll have my POS running again this spring too.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a build thread?
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a build thread?

lol...that's a good one

Actually, either Michael or I will post a build thread here or on a different forum. The only thing left to do on the build is fine tune it on the useless dyno and find a time for him to pick it up. I've been sending him videos of the car and I promise that next time I send him a video, I will be wearing pants.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

lol...that's a good one

Actually, either Michael or I will post a build thread here or on a different forum. The only thing left to do on the build is fine tune it on the useless dyno and find a time for him to pick it up. I've been sending him videos of the car and I promise that next time I send him a video, I will be wearing pants.

Dave

Yeah and please get the interior washed out because eww. I'm not touching that gear shift without gloves.

There was a thread, 2 actually, but it got so ridiculous with trolling and arguing we stopped sharing specifics and then shut them down. I can't say if there will be another one, I'm kind of past the whole concept. I don't need it for my ego, and other people didn't seem to appreciate what was being done.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....other people didn't seem to appreciate what was being done.

Isn't that the truth!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't need it for my ego

and thats a lie.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think build threads are about ego at all, they are a way to share knowledge with the rest of the community. I, also, think that they are fun to read.

If someone disagrees with you in the thread just ignore it.

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 12-19-2012).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WINTER!? Really? Is that what you call it? Come to upstate NY and we'll show you what a winter is (ok, not right now, but when it happens you'll see ). I'd be cruising around in bermuda shorts, sandels and a tank top if I had your winter weather here. -Jason

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

and thats a lie.

Not really, but thanks for giving Formula an example of what I was talking about. I don't think my car makes me better than anyone or even better off. I wanted the car, and thought it would be fun to document what we were doing, since it really hadn't been done before. Then other people (you) decided it was necessary to compare what we were doing with what everyone else was doing and you tried to turn it into a pissing match and say that bmwguru didn't know what he's doing, which started a lot of beef. It doesn't matter now, the car's going to be home and I'll be out driving it and just enjoying myself, like I do on my bike. If this was for ego, I'd be listing off all of the things that have been done to the car and how much it cost me, while trying to compare myself with the more "elite" Fiero guys. I could care less, I just want to have my car the way I wanted it to be.

If you knew me as well as you think you do, you'd also know I'm not big on lying in general.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mptighe

3321 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

WINTER!? Really? Is that what you call it? Come to upstate NY and we'll show you what a winter is (ok, not right now, but when it happens you'll see ). I'd be cruising around in bermuda shorts, sandels and a tank top if I had your winter weather here. -Jason

We have strange folks down here. If it gets inot the 50's the winter coats come out LOL. Coming from Nebraska, it's endless entertainment during "winter time" here.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We have strange folks down here. If it gets inot the 50's the winter coats come out LOL. Coming from Nebraska, it's endless entertainment during "winter time" here.

We have stranger folks here in Jersey....some long haired hippy looking guy was driving a t-top 88 turbo Fiero in nothing but a banana hammock during the crisp fall months.

Dave
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

We have stranger folks here in Jersey....some long haired hippy looking guy was driving a t-top 88 turbo Fiero in nothing but a banana hammock during the crisp fall months.

Dave

Yeah I'm wearing a full body condom on my drive home... Of course I'm going to let my wife know about this AFTER we get back.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why has this last bit reminded me of a Big Bang Theory ep where Howie was setting Sheldon's spot butt naked? "My junk is on your laptop". I almost pissed myself laughing!
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those two ruin every thread about 3800's. It would be nice to have an intelligent discussion once in awhile.

------------------
11.17@132.6

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Those two ruin every thread about 3800's. It would be nice to have an intelligent discussion once in awhile.

LMAO you're joking right? Why don't you go back to posting more of your meme pics, or start talking smack again? You and DH ruin more threads than anyone except maybe for some of the guys in O/T. I have yet to witness you attempting to have an intelligent conversation, with anyone, on any subject. That was great though, thanks for the laugh.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 12-20-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hard not to jump in when you see stuff like this.

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 12-20-2012).]

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And you jumped in when? You didn't even comment on that pic in the thread, you were too busy having an "intelligent conversation". You know, posting things like and making comments about the timeframe. Zero intelligence showed by you in that thread, and many others for that matter. Keep looking for a justification. Anyhow, time for me to focus on something worthwhile. I wouldn't want to deprive everyone else of your intelligent input LOL. Seriously, thanks for this, I needed the laugh after the past week I've had.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait, was that cut and re-welded for some reason?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Wait, was that cut and re-welded for some reason?

The axles caused clearance issues. That was the first attempt at getting the correct clearance. It wasn't cut and rewelded iirc, it was heated and bent. Dave ended up going with a remote oil filter instead. The F40 and the 3800 weren't as easily mated as others had claimed. No one sold a plug and play kit so Dave did some trial and error to find the best way to build it for what I wanted. It's all good now.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was the initial design to clear the inner joint. We heated it, bent it and tested it for leaks and restrictions. Since then, I sent the axles back to Archie and he was very good about that and I ordered a set of axles from the driveshaft shop. On Charlie's F40 setup, I used a Saab jackshaft and a remote oil filter which looked better than the bent filter housing, so I did the same mod to Michael's setup.
Sorry, sometimes you need to do things a few times before you are happy with the end result on a first time build. Michael's car would have been done a year ago if I had an extra tech and just went with a getrag.

Dave
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that makes me feel better. Maybe there is hope.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news for the new year? Last I remember you were thinking about using another local shop.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any news for the new year? Last I remember you were thinking about using another local shop.

No real news, The car is in the garage collecting dust waiting for me to pull the trigger on the re-boot.

I did find a shop but need to complete some higher priority projects around the house first.

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No real news, The car is in the garage collecting dust waiting for me to pull the trigger on the re-boot.

I did find a shop but need to complete some higher priority projects around the house first.

After experiencing a 3500 stall, I can easily say it offers zero real world performance upgrades over a 3000.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and if you order one from zzp, make sure they give you the right one

zzp messed up 3 of my orders in about a 2 month span
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Up here it's 3 months until the track opens!
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's Spring man, and Summer will start in about a month down here. Why don't we have a video of this thing yet? BTW, I expect > 500 WHP out of your car given what mine did. Go make it happen.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, if you saw our driveway/front yard right now, you wouldn't think it's spring.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea, if you saw our driveway/front yard right now, you wouldn't think it's spring.

That's because you live in "Not Texas". We have two seasons down here, "Hot" and "Wet".

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 02-04-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's because you live in "Not Texas". We have two seasons down here, "Hot" and "Wet".

Aint that the truth! I am gonna miss it.
InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and if you order one from zzp, make sure they give you the right one

zzp messed up 3 of my orders in about a 2 month span

All I have is issues with them now. They don't answer the phone, email support is a joke and Zoomers ego is worse than ever.

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock