Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26711 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember that every time you increase your off boost power you are most likely increasing spool times.
IP: Logged
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing up my electronic boost controller settings really helped spool on my car. I used to set it for xx psi and once it got into boost, it would bleed off the wastegate or whatever so that it would finally reach peak boost. Now I have it set so that it basically keeps the wastegate closed the entire time until its close to target and then opens up the gate.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Increasing torque generally reduces spool time. Not sure how increasing mass flow could possibly slow turbo spooling?

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.
10.263 @ 134.44MPH

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LFiero67

865 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Electronic controller, properly setup definately helps as well.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Remember that every time you increase your off boost power you are most likely increasing spool times.

That doesn't make any since. More power = more burned fuel = more exhaust energy = more spool.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

That doesn't make any since. More power = more burned fuel = more exhaust energy = more spool.

Assuming that more exhaust energy comes of more power... Which it doesnt...

Power to the crankshaft has little to nothing to do with the amount of air/energy going into the exhaust.... It just happens to relate fairly well.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything I've ever read and experienced says that your statements are wrong. More air + more fuel = more exhaust mass, quicker spool. Cutting timing also works, but raises EGT, and can cause engine and turbine damage if not controlled. I only have the timing cut in a few cells, right where I am on the two-step for track use. Other than that I run L36 type timing until its in boost.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.
10.263 @ 134.44MPH

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

statements are wrong. More air + more fuel = more exhaust mass

My only statement is "power to crankshaft does not relate to exhaust energy"... This assumes the same amount of air and fuel within some degree, because you can make or not make alot of power given your air fuel ratio and timing.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah yeah yeah........betcha I can smoke your ass in my badass 2.8 auto stocker man.....choo gots nothing maign.....hehehe peace

Pete
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I found the source of my low vacuum...A big azz hole in the vac line to my MAP sensor. Yesterday it was -8 down to -2 today it is .1

The mechanic zip tied it down and it looks like the added clamping pressure and the heat made it split.

I always think it is my tune because that is what I recently changed but more often than NOT it is a mechanical issue.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you haven't boost leak checked it then. hmmm.

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you haven't boost leak checked it then. hmmm.

Car was leak checked. But as you know driving it makes issues appear like magic.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005
If I had to use 2 Words to describe my Turbo Fiero it would be:

Violent Acceleration....

If I were to translate that 2 text:

ZOMFG
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
COME ON !!!!!!

Please elaborate.....for those of us that can only dream about a ride like yours

How do you compare it to your old set up ?

If you ride bikes.... how does it compare to riding a sport bike ?

I am looking forward to your videos racing some cool cars
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Violent Acceleration....

ZOMFG

Getting it dialed in it sounds like....
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Violent Acceleration....

ZOMFG

Oh hell no! You got to give us more info that that Bro! You know I am dying to pull the trigger on my turbo 3800. Let me live vicariously, albeit temporarily, thru you!

------------------
Whodeanie built 1988 Fiero GT, loaded, 14k original miles, F23, built L67 swap, ST2 cam and matching valvetrain, PT67 bb turbo, w2a charge-cooled ----400-500whp?????? More mods when I get it back (interior, suspension, lighting etc). Stay tuned!
1987 Fiero GT Road Racer. 1st documented 3.4TDC swap- built in 1994. 5MT Isuzu, Quaife prototype LSD, HT Tubular A-arms, Fully poly & Heim jointed suspension, Custom 3 way adjustible sway bars, HT Bump Steer kit, Koin's, 320# springs, GA brakes, ZEX N20 and more! Under full restoration.
2007 Toyota Tacoma Double cab Prerunner SR5 Stock, and staying that way.
2009 KTM 250SX motocross bike. Modded and fun as hell!
2012 Can-Am Commander 1000 XT For the redneck in all of us! SideXSide's are sooooo fun!

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEHEHE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST........!!!!!!! That is all.

Pete
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Violent Acceleration....

ZOMFG

Stop being a pusy and put the blower back on,

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stop being a pusy and put the blower back on,

Shouldn't there be 2 S's?

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

COME ON !!!!!!

Please elaborate.....for those of us that can only dream about a ride like yours

How do you compare it to your old set up ?

If you ride bikes.... how does it compare to riding a sport bike ?

I am looking forward to your videos racing some cool cars

Old SC setup was Blazing Fast in First gear. I could out accelerate a Nissan GTR from the light and set fire to the tires for an awesome smoke show.
It was very very fun to drive on the street as I could go sideways and straighten her back up for a quick thrill.
Boost was pretty much instantaneous as I always had power in any gear and when I hammered it and the trans downshifted it was like rocket boost.
If I had drag radials I would have easily run an 11 as I could have launched a 1.6 60'.
However, in the middle of second you could feel the pull let up. That's when the low 11, and 10 sec super cars would start to run me down in the 1/4 mile.

The new turbo setup is NOT fast off the line or fast period off boost as it feels like a 2.8 with a TH125C auto.
However, when the boost comes in very smooth, the acceleration increases which is totally different than a SC.
The SC acceleration was constant until middle of second and then it fell off.
With the Turbo, the acceleration rate increases and I haven't felt it fall off, which keeps you planted in the seat.
This effect is even more pronounced when you turn up the boost, as it keeps pulling harder.

from a start 10 to 100 it's wicked insane velocity. A Hayabusa ain't Got $h!t on me.
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The new turbo setup is NOT fast off the line or fast period off boost as it feels like a 2.8 with a TH125C auto.
However, when the boost comes in very smooth, the acceleration increases which is totally different than a SC.
The SC acceleration was constant until middle of second and then it fell off.
With the Turbo, the acceleration rate increases and I haven't felt it fall off, which keeps you planted in the seat.
This effect is even more pronounced when you turn up the boost, as it keeps pulling harder.

from a start 10 to 100 it's wicked insane velocity. A Hayabusa ain't Got $h!t on me.

At what RPM do you start to build boost ?

How many lbs of boost are you running now ?

This is only my opinion... but if " a Hayabusa ain't got $hit on you"

your car sir... is what I would call "STUPID" fast

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not stupid fast, ludicrous speed. Or has he gone plaid?
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:
At what RPM do you start to build boost ?

How many lbs of boost are you running now ?

your car sir... is what I would call "STUPID" fast

I start boosting @2k with like 1 lbs and around 3K starts the crazy plaid acceleration...Although I don't think it is fully spooled yet.

The Turbo is set for @ 11 psi. For reference my 3800SC was 11 psi when I ran the 12.01.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 07-21-2012).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought my car was fast at 14 before I changed map sensors. Once I got to 18, whole new ball game, 20+ scares unsuspecting passengers.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I feel like you are the dumb kid in class that writes a book report after spending 10 minutes reading the first and last 10 pages of the book..

Get some real boost in that thing, put antilag on, and quit being such a pansy. To say that your SC car HAD boost in first gear... and WAS fun... is completely irrelevant as your turbo can make more power at lower rpm, make more torque, and be GOBS faster from 0-10 mph.....

Keep in mind that my turbo is significantly larger than yours, my converter is the same, and my brakes suck... but I have no problems saying I am faster 0-10mph than any m90 powered car in the world.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 07-22-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

I didnt start passing busa's till I was around 21psi... They are pretty darn fast little buggers.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I thought my car was fast at 14 before I changed map sensors. Once I got to 18, whole new ball game, 20+ scares unsuspecting passengers.

What MAP are you using now? Is it a 3 bar?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Ok, I feel like you are the dumb kid in class that writes a book report after spending 10 minutes reading the first and last 10 pages of the book..

Get some real boost in that thing, put antilag on, and quit being such a pansy. To say that your SC car HAD boost in first gear... and WAS fun... is completely irrelevant as your turbo can make more power at lower rpm, make more torque, and be GOBS faster from 0-10 mph.....

Keep in mind that my turbo is significantly larger than yours, my converter is the same, and my brakes suck... but I have no problems saying I am faster 0-10mph than any m90 powered car in the world.

LOL...U Quack me up...

I had a turbo car for like 1 week, give me a break...sheech..

Also, when did you run < 1.5 60' as a few M90 cars do it on the regular.

For the record dumb kids don't read books they just blindly copy.

Yeah, I only read the 1st page and the summary to write my report but can't a Kid be happy with his new toy and share?

So when I tear up my transmission from +20lbs boost are you going to make it rain on a built trans 4 me....
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, when did you run < 1.5 60' as a few M90 cars do it on the regular.

F

That's what I want to know. All i've seen is him struggling to get below 2.0 60'

------------------
11.54@132.7

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what I want to know. All i've seen is him struggling to get below 2.0 60'

I dont care to go fast from a stop... its way too scary for me.

So when I tear up my transmission from +20lbs boost

My stock one held fine.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I dont care to go fast from a stop... its way too scary for me.

Get some real boost in that thing, put antilag on, and quit being such a pansy.

Take your own advise and man up....LOL
Bust off a 1.45 60' stay in it the WHOLE way and quit being a lil Biotch! and Maybe just Maybe you can run a nine before I do...
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure dh just got his car back running after a little nap, he might click of a nine soon, who knows. As far as my map, I don't run obd2 so I needed a 3 bar for the computer to be happy.

But really, 11psi?
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I'm pretty sure dh just got his car back running after a little nap, he might click of a nine soon, who knows. As far as my map, I don't run obd2 so I needed a 3 bar for the computer to be happy.

But really, 11psi?

Yeah, its going to be in norwalk in 2 weeks.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rumor has it Lfiero67 ran a 10.2..I think Dark has got some competition...Hope the POS wagon with shitty brakes can run a good time..

[This message has been edited by thismanyfieros (edited 07-22-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont remember seeing one, are you running an oil cooler?

Also, how about a friendly grudge match... you and me best ET & MPH... $1 winner takes all?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-22-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Did I forget to mention that I NOT only will have the Fastest trapping Fiero but also the cleanest Turbo swap too?
:

I think I got ya beat there too!

*throws gantlet*
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Also, how about a friendly grudge match... you and me best ET & MPH... $1 winner takes all?

Deal.

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Deal.

X2
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! It was the money, wasnt it?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-23-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I got ya beat there too!

*throws gantlet*

No Oil cooler and my engine bay is still under construction as I will get her real purdy like.

"Picks up gauntlet and pimp slaps BV across the face.....Biotch, you must learn some respect !"
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Awesome! It was the money, wasnt it?

Nope! it was the thrill of a challenge! You guys are going to make me POWAH UP my turbo!

Don't laugh, I have a 5 year old!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock