Started on: 10-05-2011 06:57 AM
Replies: 282 (15571 views)
Last post by: yellowstone on 01-23-2014 08:55 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put an order in for some stuff form Rodney yesterday, asked Dean to put fresh tint on my windows and today ordered a rewrapped, thick padded steering wheel and matching shift knob from http://dallassteeringwheel.com

I spoke to Dean today and he says the engine runs and revs up beautifully. I will still get custom programming from Darth Fiero to avoid any trouble codes due to the EGR and cold start injector delete and DTB intake.

------------------

Currently being upgraded at Whodeanie Customs with many TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 01-31-2012).]

IP: Logged
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

...and today ordered a rewrapped, thick padded steering wheel and matching shift knob from http://dallassteeringwheel.com

My understanding is that Dallas Steeering Wheel has an excellent reputation.

Will you be able to post "Before" versus "After" steering wheel pictures re your Fiero?

I'd think they'd be very much appreciated.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Will you be able to post "Before" versus "After" steering wheel pictures re your Fiero?

I'd think they'd be very much appreciated.

You'd have to say "pretty please" to Dean as the car is not with me... but I have many "before" interior pix and that should be good enough for a comparison.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-01-2012).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke to Dean today and it turns out my engine has to come out, the cam is shot. Seems like the bad lifter did it in. But in any setback there is opportunity!

Now my engine will get a hot cam and some TLC for the engine and engine bay...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you using any kind of ZDDP additive after break-in? I've read of several people having newly installed cams and lifters get wiped out in short order.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Are you using any kind of ZDDP additive after break-in? I've read of several people having newly installed cams and lifters get wiped out in short order.

Does that mean that one should use the additive or should not?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does that mean that one should use the additive or should not?

Should have. I agree with the above statement, too many flat tappet cams getting wiped out early because of this.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-04-2012).]

Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is good advice, I also think you should be sure to use oil that has zinc in it or add it to the oil. I too know of a few cases of failure because of the lack of zinc in modern oils that are not good for flat tappet cams. I use AmsOil which has a high amount of zinc, but it is expensive compared to royal purple or additives. but I think the quality is worth it and I am happy with the AmsOil so I use that.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree - what my understanding is that modern oil is lacking zinc, which is what is needed for a flat tappet cam to work and wear properly. But, I'm no expert.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I hear about the zinc additive but I will discuss with Dean (whodeanie) and if he agrees I will use that to break in the engine with the new cam and lifters.

------------------

Currently being upgraded at Whodeanie Customs with many TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use Rotella oil which still has the additives. I used that on the new cam on the 3.4 of my yellow car and didn't have any problems after break in.
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get OEM GM lifters when you get the new lifters .the aftermarket lifters are junk .you need lots of zinc additive during break in .if the oil says "for gasoline engines only " on it , it has almost no zinc .there are lots of additives you can use , i dont know the trade names though .when my 2.8 ate its cam and a lifter i decided to go with a modern engine and dropped in an ecotec 2.2 .
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know why they removed most or all of the zinc from the oil most company's sell? EPA crap?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-06-2012).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is emissions related .the zinc is hard on catalytic convertors and sensors .and since it has been 15 years or so since the last production engine was made with flat lifters , the EPA decided to ban most zinc from gasoline engine oils .roller lifters do not need zinc .
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

EPA crap?

Why crap? I have no problem using an additive because I choose to have an old engine if it's a good idea overall. Not everything that inconvenient is crap just because of that...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why crap? I have no problem using an additive because I choose to have an old engine if it's a good idea overall. Not everything that inconvenient is crap just because of that...

Now that wftb explained it, it makes better sense.

Anyway, this build is looking awesome, great job! I was one of the first to see the TLG Dual Throttle Body Intake in person at the Frazee show last year when the product was released. Very nice piece, and the design has improved since then.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-07-2012).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Now that wftb explained it, it makes better sense.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just placed an order at Summit Racing:
- COMP Cams High Energy Camshaft 252H
- COMP Cams High Energy Hydraulic Lifters
- COMP Cams Valve Springs 308 lbs./in.
- Edelbrock High Performance Zinc Enhanced Formula Oil 10W40
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the deck lid clearance for the DTB intake is minimal, I was considering this:

http://www.bodykits.net/sco...al/universal/174077/

I have emailed the company regarding dimensions. Can anybody get me the exact dimensions for the Fiero GT decklid, incl. the width of the "center hump" so I can make an approximate photoshop?

What do you guys think of a carbon fiber decklid scoop on my GT?
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carbon fiber body parts have only 3 places they are regularly seen:

1. On REAL race cars on a track

2. On PRETEND race cars that "boy racers" run about the streets with

3. On well known mega-dollar exotic cars

YOUR Fiero is none of those 3
Paint it yellow, or leave it off.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-12-2012).]

motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Carbon fiber body parts have only 3 places they are regularly seen:

1. On REAL race cars on a track

2. On PRETEND race cars that "boy racers" run about the streets with

3. On well known mega-dollar exotic cars

YOUR Fiero is none of those 3
Paint it yellow, or leave it off.

Wow, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think.

Joe
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since you asked. If you plan to use it in other exterior places to match then it may be ok. But if it will be the only CF piece then it could look out of place no matter how nicely it is installed. Since your car is yellow it will pop out significantly. I'm with Randy. Leave it alone.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, OK, I get it and I don't disagree.

What about this and paint it the same color as the beltline (semi-gloss black):

http://www.bodykits.net/sco...al/universal/174028/
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What about this and paint it the same color as the beltline (semi-gloss black):

That might work ok, especially with the semi-gloss black engine vents on each side....
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Wow, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think.

Joe

Kolja and I have a reputation for being *blunt* with each other about Fiero styling.

Trying to keep things looking professional and tasteful requires constant vigilance
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On your car I would paint the scoop to match. It would tie in with the clean lines of the car. How close does the dual t/b system get to the underside of the decklid?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another idea I'd like to get feedback on.

I have seen these caliper covers: http://www.amazon.com/1988-...-Cover/dp/B000I28OU8

Do you think that those with a nice "Fiero" sticker on them would look good or tacky?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Can anybody get me the exact dimensions for the Fiero GT decklid, incl. the width of the "center hump" so I can make an approximate photoshop?

Anybody?
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder why you have to ask for an opinion on what to put on your car,that should not even happen..........it is your car and your money so do any thing you want to do.

Of course on some issues electrical, engine or body related I can see that but some thing like a sticker why care what others think,you are not a kid your care is looking good with all you have done just do what you want........will see it at Daytona.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that's what I call an unhelpful reply. How is it a bad thing to get fellow enthusiasts opinion on an idea?
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kolja,

Even though caliper covers would add a dash of color behind the wheels, I can't help but think they would be an obvious attempt to shroud something that is either ugly or wimpy looking... kinda like wearing a hairpiece to hide baldness.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Kolja,

Even though caliper covers would add a dash of color behind the wheels, I can't help but think they would be an obvious attempt to shroud something that is either ugly or wimpy looking... kinda like wearing a hairpiece to hide baldness.

Good point. That's how the calipers look now:

With new rotors:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-15-2012).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another idea I'd like to get feedback on.

I have seen these caliper covers: http://www.amazon.com/1988-...-Cover/dp/B000I28OU8

Do you think that those with a nice "Fiero" sticker on them would look good or tacky?

Nicely painted and *clean* calipers will beat a cosmetic cover-up any day.
Save your money and use a % of it to make the existing calipers look good.

I'll try to get out to the garage and get the measurements you need ASAP
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nicely painted and *clean* calipers will beat a cosmetic cover-up any day.

I agree but the Corvette calipers I have are hard to keep clean and don't have a smooth surface to affix "Fiero" lettering.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 02-15-2012).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree but the Corvette calipers I have are hard to keep clean and don't have a smooth surface to affix "Fiero" lettering.

If the covers look like the ones in the above photos, in my opinion, they look SILLY!
1. They are RIDICULOUSLY big
2. They LOOK like a plastic childs toy got stuck in the wheel. They DO NOT look like a caliper
3. They have *painted on* bolts???!!
4. WHY do the calipers have to have "FIERO" lettering on them? Are people going to be fooled into thinking they are "special" Brembos?
You have NO other stickers anywhere on your nice clean car, why start now?

5. Do what YOU want. I'm just offering MY opinion and we all know what opinions are....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-15-2012).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are polished and chromed. You might conside doing that.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THERE is an idea!!
Can you swap over to 88 Fiero calipers?
Paint them red and they'll look great, plus easier to clean.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same calipers that you have on your car and keeping them clean is a chore,those covers will not work on your calipers, but will work on madcurl and troyboy calipers better still just go with the Cadillac CTSV calipers with the six pistons those are nice but expensive try ebay or paint them and use creamic pads.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the covers look like the ones in the above photos, in my opinion, they look SILLY!
1. They are RIDICULOUSLY big

Depends, I have 13" rotors and the calipers look small to me now. Look at those calipers:

2. They LOOK like a plastic childs toy, not a caliper

They're actually made of aluminum.

3. They have *painted on* bolts???!!

Not sure, I can't find a close-up pic.

5. Do what YOU want. I'm just offering MY opinion and we all know what opinions are....

I know, but thanks for yours...

BTW, did you ever got those SS HVAC buttons?

Kolja

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know, but thanks for yours...

BTW, did you ever got those SS HVAC buttons?

Kolja

You do know that the easiest solution to the matter is to simply paint your calipers gloss black?
It helps with the cleaning problem and it makes them not stand out like bright red calipers.
Brightly painted calipers *purposely* draw your eye to them.
Do the opposite....
Photoshop your pics above with a black caliper over the red and see what I mean.

The buttons are aluminum, not SS, and no, I have not produced them yet.
I intend to get a batch done soon though and you are on the top of the list.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-15-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock