Caddy 4.9 Turbo in the making by Her86GT
Started on: 11-06-2002 08:34 PM
Replies: 316
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-10-2005 02:32 PM
Ambush

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2002 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post
****Moaning Loudly******
Don't stop don't stop
I have been waiting for something like this for a while........more more.tell me more. I am setting my homepage to this one.
IP: Logged
Santa Cruzer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2002 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa CruzerSend a Private Message to Santa CruzerDirect Link to This Post
Plan on changing the complete interior to silver? Looking good

------------------
1986 Fiero SE
www.2m6performance.tk

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Santa Cruzer:

Plan on changing the complete interior to silver? Looking good

I don't feel the need to change my interior - at least yet. I'm one of few Fieros that still have the tan interior. I think it goes good with the exterior colour too.

V8Dreamer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2002 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
Uh oh Beck....I guess we better get my car tuned...looks like I'm going to have some serious competition!!! I'm still planning on doing a little water injection too. If I didn't have all this damn schoolwork to do it'd probably be done by now Anyway, it's looking good, and hopefully it'll be feelin' good soon!

Later,
Ryan

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2002 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Well. . .the car IS RUNNING! Mind you, it is too early to tell what exactly the car is able to do. There are a few bugs to get out but it should be ready to go shortly.
Here are some more pics of tonights progress:

Here PBJ is wiring in the tranny

Getting ready to wire in the ECM

Making sure they're in there good

Success! Getting data from the 749 ECM with the TECH 1

One of the inital readings.

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Tell Pete to write down EXACTLY everything he can about this job so that when i go PFI i can put myself a turbo on aswell

It would be SOO GREAT!

Would i need to use an ECM to run a turbo? Because as of now i do not have one.

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2002 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
PBJ, howd you get boost pressure? Closest thing to that on mine Jon and I could get on his diagnostic was map voltage.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Pete is using a Syclone ECM, and a turbo that makes boost.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I must say that turbo 4.9L is one good looking setup. Quite a nice achievement. Can't wait to hear about the results. The low end performance should be unbelievable.
Boosting that engine to 8 psi with 9:1 compression is a very agressive route to power. I would estimate that the timing curve would need to incorporate at least 2* of retard per pound of boost pressure.
If the engine prooves to hold up reliably, you will have opened the door for others to do 4.9L turbo build ups.
What has made me shy away from this swap are my questions on engine durability under boost and being able to locate a suitably sized turbo in the narrow confines of the Fiero engine compartment.
IMO if you are using a turbo from a Volvo it will proove to be too small. A Garrett/AiResearch T4 or similar size turbo will be needed to supply enough air for a 4.9L (300 cubes) or a 4.5L (278 cubes)engine. The largest T3 has a compressor A/R of .83 and may fall short. A T4 with a compressor A/R of around .70 would be what this engine needs but the larger T4 turbo housing size would also be a difficult fit.
Good luck on the project. It must truly be a labor of love.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post
Becky, you need to get that stock airbox out of there. Good looking build up, can't wait to see it next year at the Grand Bend meets.

------------------

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2002 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Syclone ECM. Ok, that makes sense.

PFF
System Bot
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p4n1c:

Becky, you need to get that stock airbox out of there.

I'm told if that's removed, I will get a droan because the stock air box has a water separator that cuts down on intake droan. As for turbo size, let's just say it moves 5L Mustangs just fine.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Her86GT

1173 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It must truly be a labor of love.

PBJ says that he has never worked a day in his life because he gets paid to play with other peoples cars. I guess that's what happens when what you do for a living is also your hobby.

p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2002 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Her86GT:

I'm told if that's removed, I will get a droan because the stock air box has a water separator that cuts down on intake droan. As for turbo size, let's just say it moves 5L Mustangs just fine.

Bah, droan. I'll have to actually test drive your car next Grand Bend. Everyone else has. hehe.

Sootah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Page 3. Tsk, tsk.

------------------

Nobody likes a loser, be a cheater.
RAPE ME!! Er, wait, no.. That's not quite right.. RATE ME!

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Nope Sootah, i think you missed
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I just found this. where have I been.

What car did the trans come out off?

Wow thats just sweet.

------------------
88 Yellow FORMULA
SSFiero@Aol.com

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

What car did the trans come out off?

1990 Pontiac 6000 V6 (4t60. I couldn't go for the electronic shift tranny because the ECM required for the turbo does not have the ability to run it.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2002 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
OMG this is gonna be nuts, turbocharged V8 Fiero. I am gonna say 12's right out of the box, and heading for low 11's with tunning. That is assuming that every thing works at least sotra right. Man I want to see some specs when this thing is on the road. I seen the numbers comming out of "Car Craft" Granted they were larger motors, but they have made up to 1200hp on Pump Gas and seen 1500 on race gas. In either case it was still gasoline and not some exotic fuel. There will be tones of tweaking to come laster on.

------------------
David hotrodfiero@shaw.ca
85GT 2.9 4spd

www.david.westcoastfieros.com

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Whats Petes estamated power increase? if you don't mind sharing the guess.

------------------
Steven Rossi
2M4 Cadero Converted GT

PFF
System Bot
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevenrossi:

Whats Petes estamated power increase? if you don't mind sharing the guess.

Pete's limiting the boost to 5psi because he's not allowed to wreck the engine
To be honest, we don't know what the car will put out but we will post the numbers once it's tuned.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Well here are some more pics. It's nearing the end of the project and we should have some more to write about soon.

PBJ trying to get out a piece of exhaust pipe so he can join it to the car.

Here is what it looks like now.

Me with my baby.

[This message has been edited by Her86GT (edited 12-05-2002).]

Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianDirect Link to This Post
That is a work of art - very nice.

kv

------------------

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Looks like quality work.
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Had my car going today with the new exhaust that PBJ did up and it's even MORE quiet than before! I guess the turbo has muffled some of the sound. And my car was quiet before! I even got to feel the air come out of the turbo - now I know why people call them a hair dryer.
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
so did you get to drive that sweet baby yet?

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs

Drive it like you stole it...nice and slow so you dont get your @$$ caught by the cops

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

so did you get to drive that sweet baby yet?

Nope, not yet anyways. . .I'm guessing that it's not going to be driven on the roads until spring but it will have it's go on the dyno. We have way too much salt on the roads right now.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2002 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
bump
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
PBJ doing a bit of a tutorial on what he's been up too.

I overheard them talking and the saying is, "I guess it's a project of trial-and-error." Almost everything is a handmade modification. I'm going to post a list of things used for this project once it's all done. Also, a list will be done of what different cars all go into making this 4.9 conversion what it is.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
So to give some that are following this project, I will give a update.

As you have seen with Her86GT's pics.
The engine was removed.

125 auto removed and swapped out for a 4T60.

The cross over pipe for exhaust was modified to accept a turbo.

Engine was run by a 730 ecm and so is now re wired for a 749 ecm, which can handle boost controls.

All 730 prom info was swapped over to 749 prom by Rockcrawl. This prom runs the vehicle well enought to move onto the second prom update. This is the step we are at now. Waiting for the second custom prom (postal system and Can/USA customs).

After we have a prom that runs the engine through all its stages and correct boost found, it will be fine tuned again by Rockcrawl for peak performance.

Though I would let yous know.

Pete

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That is simply awesome... I can't wait til spring to break my baby out for the first time, and thats N/A!

I'm running an economy 4speed however.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2002 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Well today the Rock's PROMs show up. And the engine was running great, good throttle response and idle and then nothing, stalls, not to restart again. The fuel pump went. I should get a new fuel pump in when I get some time (likely friday) and get back to yous. I did not have time before the f/p went to check what boost we were producing and at what rpm.

soon

Pete

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2002 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
gotta get yourself a Vette pump
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2002 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Amazing.. I can't wait to hear some numbers!
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2002 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Hi Pete, guess you needed the info on the laptop to let rockcrawl look at the data running off your ECM.

Car looks like it's coming along good. So, when you gonna mass produce the turbo 4.9?

------------------

"Take A Ride!"

Live each day as if it was your last and sooner or later you'll be right!

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
This is an exciting project. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the dyno numbers on your setup.

------------------
Roy :D
Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to add that "I am REALLLLY JEALOUS!!

Keep up the good work Pete... This is just ANOTHER inspiring project for everybody to follow and for a few that will try later on!! Maybe even myself..lol

Smooth!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com
Have you RATED me today??

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2002 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Keep this at the top. Is that the deville crossover pipe modified or the seville y-pipe? Don't really know, haven't seen either. Save the data and configurations on the prom and ECM that eventually works for the rest of us!!!! My hat is off to you.

------------------
My Website
1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z LT1/L98
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m4 - The project begins
1988 Nissan 200sx SE VG30E - The beater

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2002 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Had the car on the dyno today. I'll post pics when I get home. . .
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock