big bad duke by mrossum
Started on: 06-12-2002 07:57 PM
Replies: 216
Last post by: katore8105 on 03-06-2010 12:58 PM
mrossum

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2002 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
my stroker motor is done and in the car. goes to the muffler shop tomorrow for the exhaust. for those that said "it can't be done" or "why bother?", i say "bring it on." i'll be easy to find. i'll be the tail lights in front of you.....will post hp numbers after i get the motor broke in and to the dyno shop.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2002 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Good going. Anything can be done if you put your mind to it. I'll be waiting to see those numbers.

------------------

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2002 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
anything can be done if you put your $$$$$ into it!

all boils down to $

TheTechnician

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheTechnicianSend a Private Message to TheTechnicianDirect Link to This Post
Hey mrossum what did you stroke it to ? 2.7L or 3.0L?
mshill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mshillSend a Private Message to mshillDirect Link to This Post
Did you use the Mercruiser crank? What year Duke and what year Merc?
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
That's what I like......CONFIDENCE

Phil

------------------
GTDude
25 years GM experience

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheTechnician:
Hey mrossum what did you stroke it to ? 2.7L or 3.0L?

2.7. i couldn't find the mercruiser crank when i started the project, so i used an early nova 153 crank.i have since located a mercruiser crank, so the next one will be be the 3.0, with a turbo...

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I'll be waiting to see pics of those dyno slips.
erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:
anything can be done if you put your $$$$$ into it!

all boils down to $

Yet another myth. Funny thing is I don't see alot of people saying the same thing about the V6 swaps, although the cost is close to the same yet the Duke will make more power. And I don't see many people responding to Northstar and V8 post with "sure that's cool but how much did you have to pay?" Sure you could waste a bunch of money trying to get real HP out of a Duke with bolt ons, but thats not where the power is at with this engine. BTW, what is this obsession with bolt ons on this forum? It seems like most of the people would like to spend 2 or 3 X what they should just so it can be a "bolt on". Never mind that the power gain is minimal and it still takes a good bit of time and skill to install most of the "bolt ons" for either engine. The vast majority of Fieros out there are due for a rebuild. Sounds like a good opportunity for some internal HP mods to me. Is it expensive. No, not in relative terms. Go check the prices on Honda and Toyota HP parts, then go price the parts for a Duke. Sounds kinda cheap now doesn't it? and the imports are making way less power!! Many of the parts that are used in a HP Duke rebuild are SBC parts, and it's about the cheapest engine in the world to modify.

Erik-

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2002 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

erikred

246 posts
Member since Nov 2000
mrossum, I cannot wait to get some specifics on how it runs!

Erik-

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2002 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by erikred:
mrossum, I cannot wait to get some specifics on how it runs!

Erik-

runs great. blew a head gasket tonight on the way home. back to the shop. maybe have to o-ring it. didn't think 11.5 to 1 compression was to much, but maybe so....

PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2002 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about that headgasket...please post some pic's of the engine if u could!
More specific's too would be great!

And congradulations...

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2002 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elenor84:
Sorry to hear about that headgasket...please post some pic's of the engine if u could!
More specific's too would be great!

And congradulations...

Yaa, I agree we need some more details!

Erik-

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2002 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
turns out to be more than blown head gasket. clogged fuel injector caused extreme lean. burned 3 pistons. should be back up and running on mon or tue....
TheTechnician

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheTechnicianSend a Private Message to TheTechnicianDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ossum are you sure it was a clogged injector ? On my 195 HP build I had to actually boost the fuel pressure to ensure enough fuel was getting fed down the intake. Just a note.
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheTechnician:
Hey Ossum are you sure it was a clogged injector ? On my 195 HP build I had to actually boost the fuel pressure to ensure enough fuel was getting fed down the intake. Just a note.

clogged injector. have already replaced it. friend of mine has a machine that checks injectors out............

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
11.5-1 Compression, Wow! You must have a radical camshaft in that thing to be running that high of a compression ratio.

What are you predicting for performance, horsepower, and torque?

------------------

[This message has been edited by 88formula (edited 06-15-2002).]

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2002 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formula:
11.5-1 Compression, Wow! You must have a radical camshaft in that thing to be running that high of a compression ratio.

have no idea what kind of numbers to expect. the cam is really mild, cause the car has to pass smog every other year. will get it to the dyno as soon as possible

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2002 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrossum:
have no idea what kind of numbers to expect. the cam is really mild, cause the car has to pass smog every other year. will get it to the dyno as soon as possible

I can run it through Dyno2000 if you give me the cam specs.

Erik-

Avery Montembeault

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2002 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Avery MontembeaultSend a Private Message to Avery MontembeaultDirect Link to This Post
THANK YOU for being another person who took on the challenge of building up a duke despite the heavy "Want horsepower, drop in a v8, its the ONLY way" mentality. Any chance at getting a parts list as to what you've done? Ive had a hard time figuring out what parts to buy so I can build up my duke.
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2002 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Avery Montembeault:
THANK YOU for being another person who took on the challenge of building up a duke despite the heavy "Want horsepower, drop in a v8, its the ONLY way" mentality. Any chance at getting a parts list as to what you've done? Ive had a hard time figuring out what parts to buy so I can build up my duke.

will post a complete list of parts and solutions to problems along the way, when i get the dyno results. be assured, i will be putting a whoopin on some stangs and camaros, as well as some of the hondas

PFF
System Bot
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2002 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formula:

How does the camshaft effect the static compression ratio? Camshafts profiles will only have an effect on dynamic compression, based on the overlap.

How'd you get 11.5:1 ratio? Musta did some heavy flycutting of the head? What kinda dynamic compression pressure are you seeing? I've been waiting to get a duke head on my flowbench for some time now to do some playing, have way to many other projects going to get serious with one right now. Probably be a winter project. Sure would like to hear the details of all the internal mods you made.

Pilrulz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2002 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PilrulzSend a Private Message to PilrulzDirect Link to This Post
okay, lets see a parts list, because i have a duke on the engine stand in the garage, and this sounds like a lot of fun.

pil

FieroSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSoulSend a Private Message to FieroSoulDirect Link to This Post
Yeah! Me too! Have Duke will travel! Parts list please
FieroSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSoulSend a Private Message to FieroSoulDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
TheTechnician

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2002 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheTechnicianSend a Private Message to TheTechnicianDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a parts list either just to compare it to my build. Compression ratio your running is a little higher than mine and I may dropping on a different head and adding a Turbo this winter.........Congrats though. CYA!!!!!!
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2002 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
well, the bad news just keeps coming. block and head are broke. maybe a little longer till i get it back together. here is a parts list... 3.250 stroke crank from 63-70 nova 153. have to have an adapter from 1 piece to 2 piece rear main seal. had to machine about 3/4" off back of crank and drill a new flywhel bolt pattern in what was left. custom aluminum flywheel was then made to match the crank. crower 6" sportsman rods. .030" over silvolite hypereutectic pistons. nothing fancy about pistons. stock configuration for fiero worked well. if you want less conpression, you need custom pistons. arp studs for the main journals and the head. schneider racing custom ground cam. kinda mild cause the car has to pass smog. will post specs on cam when i can find them. good port and polish in cyl head. i used a 87-92 s-10 head with 642 casting number. all the race car machinests said this is the head that breathes the best. had to make a little adapter for the intake manifold to fit. stock size stainless valves. titanium keepers and locks. 454 screw in studs (7/16"). had to machine the head for these to fit. also had to have the guide plates laser cut. crower 1.8 stainless roller rockers for intake, and 1.7 for the exhaust. custom length crower hardened pushrods. think that is all. will add to it if i remember anything else. supposed to pick up another block and head tonight. hopefully have her back together next week...
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
the injector had to be changed. used a 454 injector in my stock tbi unit.
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's a lot of machine work! Any idea why the head and block broke? Too much compression ratio? Too much machine work on the block?

I don't intend to rub salt into your wounds. Was your intention to make big(er) hp and pass emissions?

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Boelte:
Wow that's a lot of machine work! Any idea why the head and block broke? Too much compression ratio? Too much machine work on the block?

I don't intend to rub salt into your wounds. Was your intention to make big(er) hp and pass emissions?

hp and pass emissions were the absolute must when i researched all the parts and machine work. the head and block broke from pieces of the pistons bouncing around inside the motor. be assured, it won't happen again. very expensive lesson learned. good fuel filters are a must...

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

mrossum

804 posts
Member since Oct 2000
cam specs: lift-.493" int, .465" exh. duration-260 deg gross, 202 deg @ .050" lift. lobe seperation-110.
PFF
System Bot
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
What, you ran lean and burned a piston?

Shitty deal...

Get that bastard back on the road!

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
About the Iron Duke,
If you want to (and can afford it) Kansas Racing Parts Co, of Chapman Kansas makes high performance Iron Duke Parts for the racers. These parts should be usable on the Fiero for those desiring to use the Duke in their Fiero.
They have a website, however I forgot the address. Just do a search for "Kansas racing parts co."
S.Williams
1988 Fiero (Northstar V8)
1997 Crown Vic (police) V10 swap in progress
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:
About the Iron Duke,
If you want to (and can afford it) Kansas Racing Parts Co, of Chapman Kansas makes high performance Iron Duke Parts for the racers. These parts should be usable on the Fiero for those desiring to use the Duke in their Fiero.
They have a website, however I forgot the address. Just do a search for "Kansas racing parts co."
S.Williams
1988 Fiero (Northstar V8)
1997 Crown Vic (police) V10 swap in progress

can not afford them. they have great stuff, but are targeted towards the all out race car. appreciate the sentiment. thanxxx

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post
What's the intake centerline on that cam?

Erik-

erikred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erikredSend a Private Message to erikredDirect Link to This Post

erikred

246 posts
Member since Nov 2000
mrossum or Technician, do you know what the stock TBI CFM is? Also mrossum, what did you do far an exhaust? I am trying to put these numbers in Dyno2000

Thanks,

Erik-

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by erikred:
What's the intake centerline on that cam?

Erik-

110 degrees.

i used a stock header type exhaust manifold. the rest of exhaust is custom with hollow cat, and late model camaro flowmaster muffler.

mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post
new head is done. block is in the machine shop still. hopefully will be done sometime this week. will keep you posted. anyone have any dyno 2000 numbers yet??? kinda curious..............
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Where is San Marcos? We'll have to have you up for Grafitti Nights if you are not too far away.
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2002 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:
Where is San Marcos? We'll have to have you up for Grafitti Nights if you are not too far away.

san marcos is in north san diego county. bit of a trip to morgan hill.......

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock