4.9 cat to muffler exhaust pipe by twodogjohnny
Started on: 09-26-2006 07:30 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 09-29-2006 10:11 AM
twodogjohnny

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twodogjohnnyClick Here to visit twodogjohnny's HomePageSend a Private Message to twodogjohnnyDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on the exhaust for my 87 4.9/4t60e (auto). Trying to run 2.5 inch like the stock fiero.
I have a Y pipe (like the stock v6 setup), highflow cat, flowmaster 80 series, a bunch of 2.5 mandrel bends.

The pipe under the engine, that goes from the muffler to the cat is tricky. How far below the engine cradle can I go with this pipe? How close to the oil pan and engine mount is too close? Should I wrap this pipe with something because it is close to the engine?

I'm thinking about having a shop do this pipe, but I still have to have a good idea of where it goes in order to position the muffler and cat.
Thanks!
-john
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Whats a cat?

I would be wrapping it in some insulator if its getting close to anything that burns or melts. I'm unfamiliar with the 4.9 swap. Got any pics of the underside that you are talking about?
KeithGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
If you dont mind me asking, why are you running it all the way around like the stock exhaust? Why not just cap off the manifold nearest to the firewall, use the stock Y-pipe, and then run the exhaust out of the manifold closest to the trunk? makes alot of a cleaner setup, and leaves so much room in the back where the cat used to be, and you can still run a cat doing the setup like this.
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
maybe help (or not)

Been running like this for the last 3 years as mostly a daily driver with no problem (yes it needs to be washed). Also of note, my system is a bit different: no cat, y-pipe right rear side of motor (no exhaust pipe going over the tranny).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-27-2006).]

twodogjohnny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twodogjohnnyClick Here to visit twodogjohnny's HomePageSend a Private Message to twodogjohnnyDirect Link to This Post
cat = catalytic converter, which I need to pass emissions in my fairfax county, virginia.

KeithGT - I do not want to cut the trunk. cat and muffler wont fit that way without removing half the trunk.
jeffndebrus - thanks for the links.
Mickey_Moose - That helps a lot!
It looks as though having the bottom of the pipes level with the bottom of the cradle will be a good rule to follow.
I may have to use a different engine mount to get a little more room.
Do you know which mount you used?

Thanks for the responses.
-john
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twodogjohnny:

cat = catalytic converter, which I need to pass emissions in my fairfax county, virginia.

KeithGT - I do not want to cut the trunk. cat and muffler wont fit that way without removing half the trunk.
jeffndebrus - thanks for the links.
Mickey_Moose - That helps a lot!
It looks as though having the bottom of the pipes level with the bottom of the cradle will be a good rule to follow.
I may have to use a different engine mount to get a little more room.
Do you know which mount you used?

Thanks for the responses.
-john

I used the Bubba Joe system - his brackets and poly GM TH400 transmission mounts.
http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbajoexx/id14.htm

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-29-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock