4.9 exhaust help by clintrock
Started on: 01-21-2006 04:14 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: HarryG on 01-25-2006 09:26 PM
clintrock

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clintrockSend a Private Message to clintrockDirect Link to This Post
Ok I went and bought an 80 series Flowmaster for my 4.9 swap. I dont need a cat and I would like to keep the trunk. I've been all over town and I can't find anyone who sells mandrel bent pipes. So my only solution is summit or jegs. They both seem to have decent prices. I've seen some nice installs but my question is, what kind of bends do I need to buy?

Thanks for any help

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

This is how mine is----

also--check out
http://fieroaddiction.com/caddy49f.html

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
This is how we do ours. To do it this way, you do have to remove the lower trunk. I made one system like Jeff's and never used it because I didn't like the tight bends and the bend on the top interferes with getting to things like the shift cable, left tie rod link, etc. There's nothing wrong with Jeff's, I just didn't care about losing the bottom of the trunk and I could see it would make things a lot easier.

This is a Dynomax muffler, BTW, 2.5" in and out.

John Stricker

Ken_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
The local NAPA by me sells the mandrel bent pipe, but others may not. Other wise maybe a local speed shop. Then of course there is off of the internet.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention that we DO get our mandrel bends from Jegs. I also get that Dynomax muffler from them and it's come down in price over the last year to something like $50.

John Stricker

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
If you can find a store to by a dynomax muffler from then you can also get mandrel bends. I used 3 2" mandrel bends and 2 2.5" mandrel bends for my exhaust. I used a flowmaster 80 series and it sounded great. This winter i replaced it with a Spintech sportsman splitcase muffler and it sounds even better, amazing!

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Zac88GT

1024 posts
Member since Nov 2004
here is what it sounds like outside and inside the car with the flowmaster, haven't gotten a chance to take a clip with the spintech

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=01CFCECE-9706-4EA5-8B51-F1DBD2325EE3&term=fiero&p=1
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=D33A7131-28C8-439C-BBAD-7EC90EC8C219&term=fiero&p=1

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Hit up E-bay for mandel bends in all sizes and for cheap. I am in the process of doing my exhaust for my 3800SC and found 3 inch bends on E-bay for cheap.
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
is your car a stick or a auto?

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

clintrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for clintrockSend a Private Message to clintrockDirect Link to This Post
Jeff your setup is what I am looking to do. It looks like you used maybe 2 U bends am I right?
I have about 4 Napa stores fairly close to me I'll call them today.
John Stricker that looks like a nice muffler and its half the cost of my flowmaster. Maybe on my next car.
Zac your car sounds great
2-tone its 4t60e out of the deville

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few more----however, it is difficult to make the bend tight enough to position the muffler for ground clearence. The mandrel bend was sliced several times with a 4"grinder--bent tighter and rewelded.
My next 4.9 swap will be done differently. I intend to use a Y pipe down then 90degree bends towards the sides of the car with twin tube mufflers then 90degree again to resonator tips. Ed Parks uses a small cat welded into the side-center of a tube muffler-making a T- but I am afraid the heat would rot it out prematurely.

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

PFF
System Bot
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a quick clip of the Spintech muffler reving on my 4.9L, i cant wait to hear what it sounds under load at redline
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=2ED9C7F2-9B43-4364-B8DB-4D9D433FDF6E&term=spintech&p=0

[This message has been edited by Zac88GT (edited 01-23-2006).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I used (I will see if I can get a sound clip a bit later today):

y-pipe:

from front manifold to y-pipe to flange for muffler section - mandrel bent

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 01-24-2006).]

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I like that Mickey Moose! Very close to what I have in mind --thanks for the pics.
I am wondering about the section between the manifold and the muffler. Is that a Y pipe, or a custom weld?

Thanks Jeff

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Toward the bottom of this page is how I plan to route mine:

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/v8/v8.htm

But since I don't have the center exit headers I'll have room to put the front bank cat in front of the oil pan rather than under it.

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 01-25-2006).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

I like that Mickey Moose! Very close to what I have in mind --thanks for the pics.
I am wondering about the section between the manifold and the muffler. Is that a Y pipe, or a custom weld?

Thanks Jeff

My whole system was built from scratch (well ok the flanges are pre-made). Basically my system came from here (towards the bottom): http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49f.html so I can't take the credit.

Tim

dagriff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dagriffSend a Private Message to dagriffDirect Link to This Post
Zac88GT,

You have a PM.
Griff.

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
If you want to make tight-radius bends, you might consider using a "donut".
Go here: http://www.chassisshop.com/
Look under "Tubing".

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock