Started on: 03-19-2006 10:23 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: GT on 03-21-2006 10:47 AM
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
How come nobody runs true dual exhaust on a 4.9? I'm planning on doing this by running two mufflers at the tips with no cat. because I live in Minnesota.

It seems easier and should have better performance, and maybe a sound I will like better.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: arte@sek-c.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4cyl. 5spd
1987 Notchback 4cyl. Auto (Running Good!)
1992 Corsica 3.1L GT =P

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
This is a question for Mr. 4.9 himself lol..==Ed Parks www.thefierofactory.com
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
I think you will find a lot of the 4.9 members do run dual exhaust. But I am not one of those, I ran a single, neater and easier.

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a good thread from a famous 4.9.

It involves cutting out the bottom section of the trunk, but it works real well and sounds great.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020825-2-017850.html

Arn

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
I ran true duels on my 4.9. my set up will only work for a manual trans. This images is larger than 100K. Click to view. . this is a pic of my 4.9 with the HT 4100 RWD manifold from the drivers side. if an automatic is used the tranny wlill be in the way. I also used a HT4100 drivers side but if i had it to do over i would use a eldorodo manifold for a little better exhaust routing on the firewall side.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

Cplensdorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfDirect Link to This Post
When I fab'd mine, it was the limited space between the bend and the rear fascia that presents the biggest challenge...trying to find a muffler that will fit neatly there is difficult to find....I never found one....and...

I guess if you look at the performance gains in doing a true-dual, you may just find it more practical to go with a good free-flowing single with dual outlet......here is mine....

clintrock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clintrockSend a Private Message to clintrockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cplensdorf:

When I fab'd mine, it was the limited space between the bend and the rear fascia that presents the biggest challenge...trying to find a muffler that will fit neatly there is difficult to find....I never found one....and...

I guess if you look at the performance gains in doing a true-dual, you may just find it more practical to go with a good free-flowing single with dual outlet......here is mine....

great pictures but do you have a picture of a side view (water pump side) so I can see beter where i comes out of the manifold
thanks clint

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

It seems easier and should have better performance, and maybe a sound I will like better.

I've always read that connecting the banks gives a smoother sound and equalizes the pulses coming out the tailpipe so you don't get wierd resonances at certain RPM's. Combining the banks also supposedly adds a few HP, whether it's with an H-pipe or an X-pipe, or even with a two into one downpipe of sufficient size.

Still, I plan on using true duals on my 4.9 just because I like the sound better.

-Rick

arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2006 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
What about running mufflers at the tips... thats what i plan on doing.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
The other issue that you have is;
if you are running an ecm from a caddy which used the crossover pipe then it only reads one O2 sensor. So, you can run your car with O2 data only coming from one bank of cylinders or reprogram the ecm---or use an ecm from an Eldorado which came with true dual exhaust. Or if you are going carbureted then it doesn't matter.

By the way----I am running single exhaust out through dual tips and everyone loves the sound of my car.

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001
PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I need to pass emissions so this is how I'm doing it:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock