Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  re: That Chinese Spy Balloon floating over the US (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
re: That Chinese Spy Balloon floating over the US by TheDigitalAlchemist
Started on: 02-02-2023 11:10 PM
Replies: 148 (2017 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 02-15-2023 11:11 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/n...gon-says/ar-AA1735SF

You tellin' me they can't "capture" that thing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are trying to help Joe find where he put the rest of the documents he took home.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone understand why they haven't brought it down yet? They're just observing it as it collects information? With all the military response, I'd figure it would have been shot down within a few minutes.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

They're just observing it as it collects information?

The balloon entered US air space after passing through/over Canada. It appears that all it's collected information on so far are endless forests, mountains and farmland.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-03-2023).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the Govt know it's a balloon and not a UFO?
They've had a bit of trouble distinguishing between the 2 in the past........
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They can make 1,500 drones make pictures in the sky, but cant use a few to "net it and pop it"? Maybe they don't want to make a big deal about it, or they know more about what it is then they are sharing with the public...

Situation just seems kinda odd.

MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2023 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I dont think it is a "spy" device.

They already have satellites, and lots of them, in orbit that can read your watch. Why bother with a single-use balloon.

I'm guessing it is either EMP or packed with some very-very nasty bio agents.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

They already have satellites, and lots of them, in orbit that can read your watch. Why bother with a single-use balloon.

Or maybe just a test to see how we would respond to this situation.

"I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! "
But when I first heard about it, I thought of this kid we know who launched a balloon a few years ago...thought maybe someone else did something similar

https://www.wnep.com/articl...31-8ab6-38431bd0ff42
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First- they should have spotted this before it came over the US.......Second, why can't they go up and puncture it with a couple of small bullets so that it slowly drops to the ground? And three, you just had to mention Bio-weapons, didn't you? I'm gonna have nightmares about that kind of situation...Now I have to build my "Bio-Bunker"......
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The balloon entered US air space after passing through/over Canada. It appears that all it's collected information on so far are endless forests, mountains and farmland.

That's not really a fair statement. There are plenty of things that it's passed over which would be considered important. There are plenty of known and unknown military bases that exist throughout that entire path in Alaska and the continental U.S., including ones on the West coast of Canada. Most of our land-based ICBMs (meaning not on a ship or plane) and ICBM defense systems are also in the mid-west as well.

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

If there was an EMP on there, it would be a serious act of war... to which point, they would only put it on there if they intended to use it... and, well, we'd certainly go to war with them. As for a bio-agent... I think we know that China has much easier ways to release bio-agents into the United States... and the rest of the world.

The only benefit here that I can see is that there might be visuals that they can collect easier at that altitude than they can from space, and / or they're able to collect certain signals before they bounce off the Ionisphere. I don't know a whole lot about this, but as I understand it, this is one of the layers of our atmosphere where there is often radio interference and some signals are reflected or degraded. It sits somewhere in relation to the thermalsphere and below where satellites normally sit.

All of that said, my guess is that all this is, is just a simple test by China to see what the United States is going to do about it. Big shock... we are doing nothing. I'm sure it's collecting plenty of information, but obviously we won't know if we don't collect it. China is saying it's a science balloon... of course it is.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish a few of us would chip in and we'd buy a balloon put a PI+webcam and a matchbox Fiero into space (like they did in that F&F movie)
get some funny footage for sure

Side-bonus : we might be able to see the curvature of the planet and prove the earth's not flat!
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is something to consider, nothing more, nothing less:

The following is a single paragraph review of a book written 30 years ago: The Sputnik Challenge: Eisenhower's Response to the Soviet Satellite by Robert Divine

https://www.foreignaffairs....nse-soviet-satellite

When Sputnik went into orbit in 1957, America went into a panic. Only President Dwight Eisenhower retained his composure and understood that the United States was far superior to the Soviet Union in scientific research as well as in military firepower. Only Eisenhower realized that Nikita Khrushchev had done the United States a favor by setting a legal precedent for future reconnaissance satellites. Robert Divine, who has written extensively on the early Cold War, praises Eisenhower for his low-key, common-sense response to Sputnik, but faults him for failing to see the propaganda significance of the feat. He charges that by failing to convince the American people that they had nothing to fear, Eisenhower opened the way for a decade of arms races spurred by ignorance. Like all of Divine's work, well-researched, well-written, reliable.

I am certainly not suggesting that Biden is anything like Ike, but we all know that Biden is not in charge.

I alluded to this in another thread, several weeks ago.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, the US has taken the correct stance and course of action, which is no action at all. 'Spy' balloons are 100+ year old 'technology'.
By us officially doing nothing, we are telling the Chicoms "Big friggin deal. You launched a ballon and let the jet stream carry it where it wanted to'.You can't touch us or learn anything you don't already know or whatever we WANT you to know".

As far as what some have claimed, that it wasn't detected before it reached Montana, that's pure speculation. It's also speculation in saying that we haven't intercepted or jammed any communications the balloon's devices may be sending or receiving.

We are in effect, laughing at their feeble efforts.. They are the very models of modern major generals...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

As far as what some have claimed, that it wasn't detected before it reached Montana, that's pure speculation.

The DoD has already (I think just a few hours ago), admitted that they've been tracking it for several days, so it debunks that (wherever that was said).
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One for each of the parallel universes "balloon" threads

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-03-2023).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just hope they don't just let it "slowly get away"... at least get physical access to that "whatever it is"!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here is the plan: I want everyone to call your friends, family, uncles, cousins, look on the internet and find out where the oriental orb is headed, grab your guns, go outside and when it passes over, present your piece, smile and wave.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

OK, here is the plan: I want everyone to call your friends, family, uncles, cousins, look on the internet and find out where the oriental orb is headed, grab your guns, go outside and when it passes over, present your piece, smile and wave.

When you say piece... are you saying I should show my private parts? Or are you saying I should show my gun?

My 14 year old daughter, as of now... is the only one in the household who has weapons. She has a .22 rifle (pink) and a composite bow.

Just want to ensure I understand what you're asking me to tell my family members...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flash your firearm, brandish your boomstick, reveal your rifle, wave your weapon.
Of course, you be you.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Someone here that knows the electromagnetic spectrum and antenna theory better than me... what kind of antennas are those? They look like some kind of dipoles on the end, and the long ones look like some kind of opposing pair of yagi antennas? And maybe those flat panels are solar?
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son and I watced it float by just to the east of our place this afternoon. Didn't look more than a few thousand feet up.
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spies Like Us

Deep within the Pentagon's radar tracking information complex, they are in a panic.
' Sir, we're detecting that the balloon is rising in altitude ! '
' How is it doing that ? '
' It must be losing weight ! '
' Could it be dropping vials of pathogens? '
' Sure, but that would be an act of war. '
' Undeclared war, like in 2019, the Woo Floo. '
' They have declared their intent of world domination. '
' Well, they don't actually mean it, surely. '
' Could they actually be crazy enough to send a biological warfare balloon over the continental US, then, lie about it ? '

Well, looks like we're getting gypped again, can't even defend our airspace, trillions spent pretending they can.
( It's so pathetic... Biden_Joe is a dud. )
fjb in the gourd.
Rotten dirty scoundrel.
Bee Bee Network News at 11.
' WW3 began yesterday when a balloon released pathogens in to the air above ten major population centers on the US mainland ! '
' Bejing denies any military involvement, lying, obviously. '
Well, duh.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Or maybe just a test to see how we would respond to this situation ...

Bingo.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31841 posts
Member since Feb 2003
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2023 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Flash your firearm, brandish your boomstick, reveal your rifle, wave your weapon.
Of course, you be you.

Thanx for that idea....Now I gotta explain to a judge why I was wielding a cannon in public.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Surprised no one has talked about salvage and trying to shoot it down.
Got to be worth something.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2023 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposedly Biden plans on taking it down over the Atlantic....you know, once it has finished it's mission.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The through-line goes from this balloon directly back to the U.S. elections of November 2020, and the denial of a second term as President for DJT; i.e., the "Steal". This balloon became inevitable from that final moment in the Senate when the completion of the "Steal" went down. When the electoral votes that created a "President Biden" were certified.

"Prove me wrong."
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blackrams- first off, my first name on that balloon kind of "Got me" (I only choked a little on my breakfast)....Then the warranty thing was a home run.

Seriously, after it had floated over part of Alaska then was over the Pacific for a few hundred miles, they should have shot it down. This is absolutely stupid.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 02-04-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has turned into Santa Claus meets Baby Jessica and the Balloon Boy.

The Chinese have managed to do what all the mass shootings and police beatings couldn't. Who's your daddy?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19446 posts
Member since Mar 2009
All the story tellers are now teasing the grand finale. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion. Don't miss the excitement. Right after this message from Pfizer...

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2023 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A balloon pop really is an exciting event. Never know where all those darts thrown at it are gonna end up and all...

But what I really wanna know is which one of you are gonna go get me some coke and chips so I can watch this properly without getting my delicate little hiney out in the cold ? Oh and binoculars. That is a bit far away, probably gonna need a pair of those too.

https://twitter.com/disclos...ns.com%2Fforum1%2Fme ssage5352505%2Fpg1
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The deed is done. Film at eleven.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2023 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now we are screwed. China is gonna shake their fist and use harsh words.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to post this before the shoot-down, but wasn't this just the latest shiny new object?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I was hoping to post this before the shoot-down, but wasn't this just the latest shiny new object?

You have an uncanny ability to recognize the obvious.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"It was discovered over Alaska...then spotted later over Montana".....So, after they spotted it over Alaska it then floated out across the Pacific for a while- I would have shot it down then.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 02-04-2023).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NORAD has been tracking it since launch. They can track an errant bolt in orbital space, you think they didn't see this coming? They just don't want to admit just how much they can see.

The F-22, among other assets, are excellent at monitoring signals intelligence. The military wanted to see what it was reporting home, and find out exactly what the Chinese could and couldn't detect. I'm thinking signals are easier to detect from a couple thousand feet versus miles. THEN they can take it down to dissect the instruments it carried.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock