Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  re: That Chinese Spy Balloon floating over the US (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
re: That Chinese Spy Balloon floating over the US by TheDigitalAlchemist
Started on: 02-02-2023 11:10 PM
Replies: 148 (2019 views)
Last post by: Valkrie9 on 02-15-2023 11:11 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

That's not really a fair statement. There are plenty of things that it's passed over which would be considered important.

"fair"? Todd, I was being 95% facetious. Relax.

Originally posted by Patrick:

The balloon entered US air space after passing through/over Canada. It appears that all it's collected information on so far are endless forests, mountains and farmland.

IP: Logged
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

... a composite bow.

My composite bows:

rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's still a lot of work to be done. Creating the new "Victory Over Chinese Balloon" medals and ribbons. Painting a "balloon" decal on the fuselage of all those planes that were involved in the mission. Planning and scheduling the White House award ceremony for the pilots.

I wonder if the pilots and ground crews got combat pay.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-04-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think to whole thing was overinflated.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG... There's more on the way !!!

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I think to whole thing was overinflated.

WG...every once in a while you hit an absolute homerun....I am just glad I wasn't eating because then I would have to clean the computer screen (Again)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I do think rolling out an F-22 Raptor with an Aim9 was a bit of overkill. An ol F15 or F-18 could done the deed..
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The chinese "Government" is condemning the shoot-down- threatening repercussions....How about some repercussions for sending a spy-balloon over the US....?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just more show boating, at our expense.
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This super-sized high altitude balloon may have been regarded by the Pentagon as an interesting test of F-22 Raptor capabilities and functionalities, and a test case that would be costly, if not impossible for the U.S. to duplicate.

i'm not suggesting that it was in any way difficult for an F-22 pilot to approach the ballon and queue up an AIM-9 air-to-air missile to strike it.

But that was a lot of ballon. I wonder if there was curiosity on the Pentagon's part about how such a large balloon would be processed by the F-22 and AIM-9 optical, radar and IR target acquisition and tracking systems. Maybe the Pentagon wanted to see how these sensors performed in discriminating the balloon payload from the ballon itself.

According to WaPo columnist David Ignatius, the Pentagon did not want the missile to penetrate the ballon and pass all the way through it, because they feared that would have resulted in the balloon drifting farther offshore and causing debris from the ballon payload to fall into international waters.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ten miles from me in, Glendale AZ, is Luke AFB, named for 2nd Lt. Frank Luke, the "Arizona Balloon Buster".

Fighter jets that shot down Chinese balloon have ties to Arizona history

The two fighter jets that shot down the Chinese balloon on Saturday afternoon not far from Myrtle Beach has some ties to Arizona history, believe it or not!

The two had the call sign “Frank01″ and “Frank02,” intended to honor Phoenix-born 2nd Lieutenant Frank Luke, a World War I pilot who shot down multiple German spy balloons and airplanes during the war. Call signs are used on military aircraft for both communication identity reasons and security.

Luke soon became known as the “Arizona Balloon Buster,” and the Air Force History and Museums site refers to him as “the most spectacular air fighter of World War I.” He trained in the Signal Corps’ Aviation Section in January 1918, trained further in Issoudun, France, and shot his first plane down on Aug. 16, 1918. During his career, Lt. Luke earned 2 Distinguished Service crosses.

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it interesting that they had the opportunity to shoot the balloon down and recover the payload, but instead opted to destroy the payload.

We have no planes that can shoot bullets at that height?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. sigh.... Anti aircraft missiles like the aim9x don't always 'strike' the target, nor are they supposed to. Tailpipe seekers are pretty much a thing of the past. They explode in close proximity to the target which actually causes more damage than a penetration does. The pilot guides the missile part of the way to the target via his helmet then the missile's guidance system locks on and the pilot can do other 'stuff'.... The current AIM9 warhead sends out 200 titanium metal objects...not a friendly feeling..
2. The missile most likely targeted the antenna/solar panels (hardware) hanging beneath and not the balloon itself. The missile payload is fragmentation.
The following link explains how the AIM9 WDU-17/B warhead works.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/sidewinder7.htm

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

My composite bows:

You and me both! We both play the violin!

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 02-06-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was it a trial balloon?

I just heard that floated by the well known Republican Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently, the topic of Canada being able to hold up their NATO commitment was discussed.

This balloon made it way all the way across Canada also and up to this point, I haven't heard a word. Either Canada didn't know it was there (hard to believe), didn't consider it a threat to themselves or, figured the US would handle it. All three would seem to be concerning to NATO allies.

But, whatever.

Rams
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2023 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, it just cut across a corner of British Columbia. Most of which is already privately owned by China. We just didnt give a crap about them spying on their own
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

This balloon made it way all the way across Canada...

"...all the way across Canada"? Really? What balloon might you be referring to?

Either Canada didn't know it was there (hard to believe), didn't consider it a threat to themselves or, figured the US would handle it.

Keep in mind the balloon in the news entered North American airspace over Alaska. Just saying...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-06-2023).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep in mind this balloon entered North American airspace over Alaska. Just saying...

Yep, I'm fully aware of that but, it does appear Canada didn't have a clue of its existence or if known, never said a word about it. Oh, we're apparently just as guilty, we apparently didn't think enough to even warn your folks. Although the track you've presented is significantly different that what was or is being shown here.

It's always good to know who has your six (Or in this case 12).

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-06-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it does appear Canada didn't have a clue of its existence or if known, never said a word about it.

Being unannounced does not necessarily imply being undetected.

...the track you've presented is significantly different that what was or is being shown here.

I presented the route as posted Here at Wikipedia. Do you have a more accurate track you can share?

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I presented the route as posted Here at Wikipedia. Do you have a more accurate track you can share?

Patrick,
Unannounced versus undetected or maybe unknown............... Does Canada have any radar or detection capability? I ask because I don't know.
Or does Cananda depend on the US to that? Again, I don't know.

Reference the track, I don't know that anyone has a more accurate track, the ones I have been seeing show the track to be further south, south of the Aleutian Islands but, I honestly don't know what is most accurate.

Rams
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blackrams

31841 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Oopa

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-07-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does Canada have any radar or detection capability?

Ron... seriously?

All the way across Canada would be from...

...Vancouver Island on the west coast to Newfoundland on the east coast.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2023 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rams, We have F/A-18's, Northern bases, NORAD, and some pretty damn good tech stuff. A polar bear cant fart without us knowing about it.

Now actually having the political will, thats a different story. If that thing didnt get taken down over the Canadian Rockies it's because somebody didnt want it down.

But we are saved, Wagner group is going to sort things out for us !!

https://twitter.com/AZgeopo...?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya have to be careful making a blanket statement for that much territory and it's airspace in regards to altitude.

Few if any radars can search and detect the entire air space at all altitudes fromsea level to the ionosphere and horizon to horizon.
USAF (Space Force now) for instance has PAVEPAWS in Alaska that specifically searches Westward and Northwestward using it's AN/FPS 117 long range phased array but not at all altitudes. It can scan as much as 240° north to south but only 3° to 10° elevation, watching for ICBM launches as the missiles rise from ground up toward apogee at around 1200 miles above the earth's surface.
The short gap filler in Alaska and across Canada is the FPS-124, scans 360° but it is short range (1-70 miles in distance) and up to only 15,000 ft.

According to almost all reports, as few as 4 and as many as 8 (depndingwhich former NORAD general is talking) of these Chinese balloons crossed the US/North America air space in time fram 2016-2020 and went undetected and unreported to the Pentagon or by the US military until after they had exited North American air space and out into the Atlantic. At least one crossed over Texas. None were shot down.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69651 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Rams, We have F/A-18's, Northern bases, NORAD, and some pretty damn good tech stuff. A polar bear cant fart without us knowing about it.
https://twitter.com/AZgeopo...?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

If you look close, you will find that almost all of the Norad stuff is operated and actually owned by USAF/USSC by contract between Canada and the US, with only the sites being owned by Canada. But, this is normal, thru out the world. It's cheaper to lease and pay someone else to do these sorts of things than each individual nation to have their own. This arrangement also makes it much much easier for the entire network to handshake and share information, instead of a hodge podge of different types and spec facilities.

It's not that Canada can't afford their own or that they are technologically incapable of going it alone, it's just that this is the deal that was hammered out decades ago between these 2 (and other) nations and their govts. It works out well for both nations and USA wouldbe hard pressed tofind replacement sites if Canada were to pull a Charles DeGaulle and throw us out.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

ya have to be careful making a blanket statement...

What was my "blanket statement"?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What was my "blanket statement"?

Coverage is only a small bit of the actual airspace involved.
FPS124 won't reach the altitude the balloon was reported to be flying at for most of it's jouney across North America. Neither will FPS 117 at close ranges due to being 10° above line of sight horizon.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Coverage...

Don, the comment of mine that you're alluding to had absolutely nothing to do with radar and/or "coverage".
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, the comment of mine that you're alluding to had absolutely nothing to do with radar and/or "coverage".

In it's entirety:

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-06-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<sigh>

Don, start Here. I was disputing Ron's claim that the balloon had traveled ... "all the way across Canada".

Ron then stated Here that "All the way across Canada would be from north to south..."

That would be like saying that flying from Seattle, Washington to Tucson, Arizona would be travelling "all the way across" America. It just wouldn't be correct.

The comment of mine that you're focusing on was simply my description of what travelling "all the way across Canada" would actually entail. It had nothing whatsoever to do with radar coverage... or blankets.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-07-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You were directly addressing Ron's specific question regarding radar or detection capability. You answered that question with "seriously' followed by a map showing the Canada wide length of the installation locations.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, I don't know why you're insisting that you know more about my discussion with Ron than I do. I've stated what I was addressing.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Balloon-gate Takes Flight"

"RIP Chinese Spy Balloon, Alive Forever in Our Hearts"
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, I don't know why you're insisting that you know more about my discussion with Ron than I do. I've stated what I was addressing.

I'm sure Biden appreciates your patronage, but I'm not sure of the desire to support his decision in this case. If we knew about it on January 28th, I'd think it would have been wise to shoot it down the second it entered our air space in Alaska. The debris wouldn't have affected anyone.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's all right there for all to see and I can both read AND comprehend WHAT I read.
Now, if you MEANT something else, you should have TYPED something else.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron... seriously?

Yep, seriously. Is that a map of military or civilian aviation coverage? Who paid for it?

Doesn't really matter, both countries failed as it applies to this "Spy in the Sky" balloon but, who's paying the bill?
We (the US) have a lot of friends, most of them because we're paying some or most of their bills.
Buying our friends is going to eventually bankrupt us. I don't believe we can afford any more friends who don't or won't pay their own way.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-07-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2023 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't we send our own balloons? And then say... "Oh man, sorry... it was an accident."
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock