Started on: 02-25-2020 05:07 PM
Replies: 280 (4246 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 04-23-2024 12:13 AM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2023 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have posted these girls before. Chloe and Haruka are outstanding and the harmony on the second song (starting at the 6:00 mark) is sweet!

The same guitarist, Molly Reeves, from the first video. She plays what looks like a vintage Gibson archtop in the first video and a National (I think) steel body biscuit in this next one.
edit: The Gibson is a 1940's L-48 and the biscuit resonator is a National.

The fiddle player looks like a kid, but she has a PhD in psychology.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 07-13-2023).]

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2023 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some more Sierra Hull. (Sorry if this has already been posted here.)

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2023 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Here's some more Sierra Hull. (Sorry if this has already been posted here.)

Very nice. She is one of my favorites. A rare gem.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about some Charlie Christian? If you don't know who he was and you are into guitar, shame on you! Now go look him up.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2023 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more of Molly Reeves:

fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2023 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rhiannon Giddens is the best combination of musician and vocals out there. And she does EVERY type of music. Here are a couple of clips to show her range.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6Xs-0jmeQ][/url]

[This message has been edited by fredtoast (edited 07-21-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2023 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fredtoast:

Rhiannon Giddens is the best combination of musician and vocals out there. And she does EVERY type of music. Here are a couple of clips to show her range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6Xs-0jmeQ

I have been a fan since I first heard the "Carolina Chocolate Drops". She is my favorite living music historian.

Something to think about (music, culture, ethnic identity, religion)

I have posted many of her videos here over the years, including two pages back in this very thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...L/124725-4.html#p125

She also has a connection to a member on this forum.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 07-22-2023).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2023 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heard a song on CBC radio today that's a 2007 cover of a 1961 song originally sung by Etta James. I like it!

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2023 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Bennett (RIP) singing his most famous hit;

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2023 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Tony Bennett (RIP) singing his most famous hit

The name of this thread is "A tune you may not have heard", but even though we've all heard it... thanks for posting. Tony Bennett was a legend!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-23-2023).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2023 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes- a lot of people know about Tony Bennett and this song- but the younger ones here may not have ever heard it....
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted this song on the previous page as a guitar duet played by Tommy Emmanuel and Kenny Vaughn. Here it is by Asleep at the Wheel with Cindy Cashdollar and Reba McEntire.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...L/124725-5.html#p181

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 07-26-2023).]

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2023 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2023 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes- a lot of people know about Tony Bennett and this song- but the younger ones here may not have ever heard it....

I saw Tony live in Denver in 1994. I thought he was old back then.

Great show.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2023 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Siberian pop!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2023 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nora Brown is like a ghost from another century.

From the description:

This banjo is a fretless 1886 S.S. Stewart that was very kindly gifted to me at our last show in Tokyo this past April by the master banjo player Satoshi Hara.

Bela does Gershwin:

and Rick Beato after seeing the Bela Fleck performance above:

EDIT:
The Fleck video that I posted above is the one that Beato mentioned in his video. I watched it a few days ago, and the audio is terrible. I think the video below is the show that Beato actually saw in Atlanta.

Rhapsody in Blue starts at the 32:00 mark. The audio is much better.
I have been a lifelong Gershwin fan and I think Rhapsody in Blue is his best work. I have several recordings including Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic, which is the best.

Also, a few pages back, I posted a video of the people that Bela opened for: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...L/124725-4.html#p132

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-05-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2023 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Pretenders, Middle Of The Road, US Festival, San Bernardino, '83

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 09-26-2023).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not Tony Bennet but from about the same era ...............

when you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

September 28, 2023.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken plays a guitar cover of Muddy Water's "Hoochie Coochie Man" during a launch event for the Global Diplomacy Music Initiative at the Department of State.

"I couldn’t pass up tonight’s opportunity to combine music and diplomacy. Was a pleasure to launch the State Department's new Global Music Diplomacy Initiative." (Secretary Blinken.)

From the U.S. Department of State on YouTube.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 09-28-2023).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was never a big fan of Fleetwood Mac- but they did a really cool song back in their early days; Oh Well....Sadly, the radio stations usually only play the first part which is 2 1/2 minutes long- the rest of the 9 minute song is an instrumental...I would suggest it has some bits of Spanish Flamenco guitar- but has so much more...If you are not a fan of Rock then skip the first 2:20 and then sit back and enjoy;

PFF
System Bot
Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Black Magic Woman

' Greeny ' the '59 Les Paul.

' Why, that harkens back to the time.. '

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was never a big fan of Fleetwood Mac- but they did a really cool song back in their early days; Oh Well....Sadly, the radio stations usually only play the first part which is 2 1/2 minutes long- the rest of the 9 minute song is an instrumental...I would suggest it has some bits of Spanish Flamenco guitar- but has so much more...If you are not a fan of Rock then skip the first 2:20 and then sit back and enjoy;

When Peter Green formed the band, they were an outstanding British blues band. When he left, they were not the same.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19471 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by Valkrie9:

' Greeny ' the '59 Les Paul.

' Why, that harkens back to the time.. '

People do that to Telecasters on purpose.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 09-28-2023).]

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some toonage of my yoot.

An appropriate followup (or more accurately prequel) to Fleetwood Mac. John Mayall is one of the greats.

Lets go back one step more.

For those who might not know, read the list of personnel in the descriptions of each of the two above videos.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you crave more music performed by the Secretary of State, look for "A. Blinken" on Spotify.

"You're welcome."

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2023 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shape of My Heart ~ Sting

He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He don't play for respect
He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of a probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance
I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
I know that diamonds mean money for this art
But that's not the shape of my heart
He may play the jack of diamonds
He may lay the queen of spades
He may conceal a king in his hand
While the memory of it fades
That's not the shape
The shape of my heart
If I told her that I loved you
You'd maybe think there's something wrong
I'm not a man of too many faces
The mask I wear is one
But those who speak know nothing
And find out to their cost
Like those who curse their luck in too many places
And those who fear are lost
That's not the shape of my heart
That's not the shape
The shape of my heart

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2023 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !
Haven't seen this before, surprising me.
' I am from the future ' ~ Jimi Hendrix plays the ' Enchantment under the Sea Dance ' 11.12.55 !

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Otis does the second set, the crowd loves it, it's a slow dance blues tune.

Valkrie9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Valkrie9Send a Private Message to Valkrie9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ann Peebles - Trouble Heartaches & Sadness
A Love Vibration

Popped up as a sound track from a Kevin Costner movie.. 3 Days to Kill.. a few years back.
Memories leap out of a faster moving blur, time accelerating it seems, some things I had forgotten, some regrets that hurt again that much.

[This message has been edited by Valkrie9 (edited 10-09-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2023 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Popped up as a sound track from a Kevin Costner movie.. 3 Days to Kill.. a few years back.

Bets use of an existing song in a movie might be Pat Metheny's "It's For You" in the Kevin Costner movie "Fandango". Very underrated movie. Great soundtrack. Has some sixties songs (when the movie was set) plus other Metheny tunes and even a Keith Jarrett piece.

It takes this song a while to develop. Really picks up in the middle. This scene had to be written to the tune instead of the other way around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIaU94SXj9Y

[This message has been edited by fredtoast (edited 10-09-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2023 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fandango is one of my favorite movies. It hit home because of my age and turning 18 during the era it presented.
I've been out there, to Terlingua, Alpine, Marfa, Ft Davis, Monahans (the white sand dunes are real) and parts of Big Bend.

The train being lassoed and jerking the bumper (and whole front end) off was great, but the whole movie was too.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-09-2023).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2023 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been boat camping at Trinity Lake in N. CA since I was 5 (1965)....did not have a boat from 1979 to 1998...Bought my CVX-20 Jet and started doing it again in 1999. Water skiing, boating, swimming, etc. Usually, every day the wind would come up in the afternoon- I would then sit in a chaise lounge chair in the shade and read a book or magazine- thru the trees you could see the wavelets reflecting the sun.

My favorite female rock album is Dreamboat Annie- the first album by the group Heart- some really good rock songs (Magic Man, Crazy on You, Sing Child, etc) but the songs are bracketed by three different versions of a song; Dreamboat Annie....

My favorite line in these songs is "Riding on the Diamond Waves"......Reminding me of those wonderful times, relaxing in the afternoon- with my dog Skye (RIP)...Looking out at those sparkling waves....

Two pics- First is the chaise lounge with my dog Skye lying to the left of it...the second was my father's favorite picture he ever took; "Last ride of the day" (1976)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-13-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2023 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My favorite female rock album is Dreamboat Annie- the first album by the group Heart- some really good rock songs (Magic Man, Crazy on You, Sing Child, etc) but the songs are bracketed by three different versions of a song; Dreamboat Annie....

Pretty song, always liked it. I was able to see Heart play live... in my high school cafeteria! This was back in 1972, when Heart was still playing covers of Led Zep and Deep Purple at local clubs and at school dances. It's difficult to remember that far back... I don't believe Ann had joined the band yet, but sister Nancy was rocking the guitar!
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2023 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2023 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19471 posts
Member since Mar 2009
54 years ago:

One week ago:

Probably just over 60 years ago:
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2023 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This second one is very interesting. You should listen.

I just came across this group this morning. I am entralled! Here is their story:

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-08-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2023 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of Li Otta's compositions reflect the varied cultures of Eurasia. The title of this song "Гуцульская" refers to an ethnic group who live in the Carpathian Mountains along the border between Ukraine and Romania.

This next one is called "Greek"

The instrument played by Ekaterina is called a bouzouki.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-14-2023).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2023 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scourge of Carpathia, Sorrow of Moldavia- Гуцульская the Carpathian, Гуцульская the Cruel, Гуцульская the Torturer, Гуцульская the Despised ,Гуцульская the Unholy.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock