Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  My new project... Teardrop Camper for pulling behind the Fiero... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My new project... Teardrop Camper for pulling behind the Fiero... by Synthesis
Started on: 03-28-2011 01:54 PM
Replies: 297 (19168 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 07-05-2014 11:11 PM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Page ownership in my thread..
IP: Logged
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
So, it turns out my trailer is the wrong one..

The one I was supposed to pick up was described as a "folding trailer from Northern Tool, plywood deck and wooden sides".

This was the only one I saw up there when I picked it up..

My friend calls me today and asks me when I am going to come by and get the trailer..

Panic ensues. I just stole someone's trailer!

Turns out, he says his trailer is almost identical, wooden sides, plywood deck..
Just, parked around the corner.

So, I contact the office of the apartment complex and ask if anyone has reported a trailer stolen.
She says yes, and then I asked her to contact the owner, let them know I have it, and it was a mistake.

If the owner is amenable to working something out, to have the office call me back and pass me a phone number, which they did.

Apparently, the owner thinks it is quite humorous, and I'll speak with her tomorrow.

Oops.

The correct trailer is supposed to be in better condition overall, with pressure treated sides and deck.
I'll see if they are willing to do a trade, even up.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 04-23-2011).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

So, it turns out my trailer is the wrong one..

The one I was supposed to pick up was described as a "folding trailer from Northern Tool, plywood deck and wooden sides".

This was the only one I saw up there when I picked it up..

My friend calls me today and asks me when I am going to come by and get the trailer..

Panic ensues. I just stole someone's trailer!

Turns out, his trailer is almost identical, wooden sides, plywood deck..
Just, parked around the corner.

So, I contact the office of the apartment complex and ask if anyone has reported a trailer stolen.
She says yes, and then I asked her to contact the owner, let them know I have it, and it was a mistake.

If the owner is amenable to working something out, to have the office call me back and pass me a phone number, which they did.

Apparently, the owner thinks it is quite humorous, and I'll speak with her tomorrow.

Oops.

The correct trailer is actually in better condition overall, with pressure treated sides and deck.
I'll see if they are willing to do a trade, even up.

That's funny....kind of!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'll get it figured out. No big deal at this stage, I am pretty sure she'd be willing to trade up or work something out.

Either way, regardless of what happens, I got the framework for the floor attached to the 1/4 lauan bottom, and then coated it with a nice coat of roofing tar.
Once that has cured up, I can then flip it over, hammer the carriage bolts through the pre-drilled holes, and then crawl underneath and run the washers and lock nuts up and tighten it the frame, or any frame I end up with.

Then, insulation in the floor, with the 1/2" plywood on top... Then I'll be able to wheel the trailer outside and start prepping the sides.
aceman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris,
Did you have a skeleton pop out of the closet screaming, "DEJA VU!"
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Chris,
Did you have a skeleton pop out of the closet screaming, "DEJA VU!"

Har har.. No...

He specifically described it to me as a "Fold-up" trailer... The one he just sent me pics of is not a fold-up.

Sooo... Yeah.
It will work out with no issues.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always thought about living in one... But I don't know how realistic that is. If I make one, it'll be like the "inspiration" photo you posted earlier, and if I buy one I think I'd go with this bad boy: http://www.bigwoodycampers.com/ultimate.html
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad.... If i come this year I'll probably have my camper attached to my vehicle Big rig.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I've always thought about living in one... But I don't know how realistic that is. If I make one, it'll be like the "inspiration" photo you posted earlier, and if I buy one I think I'd go with this bad boy: http://www.bigwoodycampers.com/ultimate.html

For under $15,000 I don't think you'll find a better house! Especially with that aromatic cedar. Just save up a few months paychecks to pay for it without a loan. Then live in it for a couple years and save up (you'll have a 6-digit salary I'm assuming ), and then you'll be set!
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

For under $15,000 I don't think you'll find a better house! Especially with that aromatic cedar. Just save up a few months paychecks to pay for it without a loan. Then live in it for a couple years and save up (you'll have a 6-digit salary I'm assuming ), and then you'll be set!

I'm thinking that, or a tiny mobile home. OR maybe I should just buy a camper... live in my work's parking lot!
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm thinking that, or a tiny mobile home. OR maybe I should just buy a camper... live in my work's parking lot!

That cedar looks nice new (and old), but remember that is will get a lot darker as it ages, and after a year or so the inside will look like a dirty bar, and be harder to keep lit, plus it will be more difficult to keep cool.

I think for 12k+ it's a rip off.

Brad
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got off the phone with the trailer owner..
She was laughing pretty good about it..

She is going to go scope out the trailer in the lot that belongs to the friend, and make sure it will work for her.
If so, we'll do an even trade across, and I'll buy new lights for it.

She got a big kick out of this. lol
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just got off the phone with the trailer owner..
She was laughing pretty good about it..

She is going to go scope out the trailer in the lot that belongs to the friend, and make sure it will work for her.
If so, we'll do an even trade across, and I'll buy new lights for it.

She got a big kick out of this. lol

So I guess you already started doing work on her trailer? That kinda stinks... I'm sorry to hear that you have to switch them out. At least you have a usable one all the same!

Brad, good point. Thanks!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I guess you already started doing work on her trailer? That kinda stinks... I'm sorry to hear that you have to switch them out. At least you have a usable one all the same!

Brad, good point. Thanks!

No, I keep hers, she gets the one I was originally supposed to pick up.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, I keep hers, she gets the one I was originally supposed to pick up.

Right. But why couldn't you just go return hers? That's why I was wondering if you already started the work.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right. But why couldn't you just go return hers? That's why I was wondering if you already started the work.

I have. Hers is all painted, has new tail lights (LED might I add), I cleaned the rust, tightened all of the bolts..

Basically, it is a new trailer..
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have. Hers is all painted, has new tail lights (LED might I add), I cleaned the rust, tightened all of the bolts..

Basically, it is a new trailer..

Nice! Good work on that I'm glad the work isn't wasted.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress...

The weather proofing of the bottom panel. This is a hard dry roofing sealer that when it dries (I applied it 2-3 days ago, and it takes a day or so to dry) will dry hard and not stay tacky.
This is 1/4" lauan underlayment attached to a 2x2 frame. The frame is visible in the third photo. I have already pre-drilled the carriage bolt mounting holes.

Insulating the trailer base after attaching it to the trailer.
Cut to fit in between. The foam core is nice in that you just score it deep with a razor knife and then snap it on the line.

The plywood deck attached. I used a bead of urethane adhesive on all exposed wood surfaces between the frame and the plywood, and then used 1 1/4" screws to attach the plywood permanently.
The plywood is your standard run of the mill 1/2" pine plywood.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely. And I am SO glad you're not posting a "Got arrested for stealing a trailer." thread.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

Coming along nicely. And I am SO glad you're not posting a "Got arrested for stealing a trailer." thread.

Yeah.. Honest mistake, the owner got a laugh out of it, and we have been emailing back and forth. I sent her the link for this thread, and also asked her to check the trailer that I was supposed to pick up.
When she gets a look, she'll let me know what she wants to do.

I am determined to make it right, as I am to blame for grabbing the wrong trailer, and my friend needs to be smacked for describing it to me as this one... lol
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I laid out my side profile on the plywood, and cut the shape.
I also cut the doors out.

I will start doing the wall framing once I know the trailer issue is resolved.

Getting excited.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have dubbed the teardrop "The Escape Pod"...
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have dubbed the teardrop "The Escape Pod"...

Or maybe the "Not-yo-pod?"
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow I will officially (and legally!) own the trailer that I inadvertently stole...
Yay for my project!

Today I marked the inner walls with where the wall framing will go, and marked areas for the bulkhead between the galley and the sleeping area.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Update on the Escape Pod...

Tomorrow night I will be acquiring this trailer through legal methods (AKA the owner is signing it over to me), and it will be mine...

Mistakes happen, she and I both laughed about it, and lessons learned... Don't pick a trailer up from a friend who lives in an apartment complex unless he or she is there to physically point out which one belongs to them.

On with the project!

Visible in the following two images, you can see the side profile I chose.
These are actually the inner skins. Note the skin below the door opening. This is exactly 1.5 inches wide. This is to accommodate the lower "sill" beam that will tie the wall structure to the floor.
The outer skins have this, plus an extra 2 1/4" of material to overlap the edge of the deck. The wall will attach through the 2x2 sill plate from the top using 3.5 inch coated deck screws, and where the outer skin overlaps, this will get two inch coated deck screws as well.
Over-built? Yes. Will it last me practically forever? Yes.

Side profile with door opening.. Click for larger view.

This next image shows what my galley area will look like.

The "counter top" line will actually be an insulated shelf that will be able to swing up allowing access to the foot of the bed. The lower section on the bottom right will be a hidden compartment housing all of the electrical for the trailer, both the 120vac and the 12vdc circuits. When/If I decide to power the 12vdc side of the system with a battery, it will be a tongue mounted battery, with a 5,000 BTU AC in a storage box. I plan to duct the AC outlet into the cabin, and use a dual "return" inlet for the AC to allow some outside air to mix with the cabin air. This should prevent icing of the coils, and allow me to crank the AC way down to freeze the cabin out.

Again, I have noone to impress with this except myself, and I want it functional as soon as possible...
It make be in an unfinished state for a very long time, but as long as it is weathered in and water proof, I will be using it.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 04-26-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just so ya know, this will probably be my last post in this thread, but I'm watching it very closely. I think teardrop campers are SO cool.

I just wanted you to know that if nobody responds, I'm still watching so don't quit posting
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Freekin' sweet, Chris! I'm watching as well!
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I now own the trailer.

She signed it over to me with a bill of sale last night.

THE PROJECT CONTINUES!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Tonight I made the cuts to the inside wall panel to "isolate" the galley area from the sleeping area.. Basically, in the photo above showing the lines for the shelf and bulkhead, I cut along those lines.

Why you might ask? Because the galley outer walls will only be 1.25 inches thick, while the rest of the side walls will be 2 inches thick.

The galley doesn't need the same amount of insulation that the main part does, and since I will be insulating the bulkhead walls anyway, the thinner galley walls on the sides will make it easier to cap and trim the edges and gasket it where the hatch closes...

I also have the frame built for one wall. Today I picked up a 2x4 foot piece of 3/4" birch plywood to use for the main galley counter, and some 2x8" board to use for the rounded sections of the wall frames. I can place a larger board in place, and then just trim it round to make it contoured for attaching the roof skin.
PFF
System Bot
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been watching with interest.
I did not permanently mount my "escape pod" to the trailer, I figured if it was a true escape I might want to use the trailer for scavenging after I find a safe hideaway! LOL

------------------
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success is also easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem, work hard to improve.

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I now own the trailer.

She signed it over to me with a bill of sale last night.

THE PROJECT CONTINUES!

Woo-hoo! Keeping pictures and a final weight -if possible.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 04-28-2011).]

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Synth, a place down the road from me makes the panels for Semi Trailers. They take two thin sheets of aluminum, put them in a frame about an inch apart from each other, and fill the void with foam. The result is an extremely strong, and very well insulated wall. It would easily make a floor as well. (for your use)

You may look into ditching the wood entirely, and making it from aluminum, or even fiberglass with insulation between layers.

Brad

That sounds like panels for a refrigerated trailer. Dry vans ( non refrigerated) usually just have a single panel on the outside, sometimes they line the inside with 1/4 plywood.

I was thinking similar, aluminum panel on the outside, 2 inch foamboard for insulation, and on the inside some of that walpapered fiberboard or paneling.
Shananigans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Teardrop trailers are cool and I have been following teardrop trailer forums for years and I like looking at what people have designed,the folks on those forums are extremely nice and helpful,I see you joined one of them. I may build one someday myself but right now I have many projects going on. One thing is certain, you will always have a place to lay your head down when it's time for bed. You can even install a small air conditioner under the galley counter top for added comfort. One word of caution though...with the air tight small space,you always want to make sure you have good ventilation so as not to run out of oxygen and die in your sleep. You project is coming along nicely,good for you for following through with what you said you were going to do.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress tonight.

Both walls are vertical. The left wall has been framed and trimmed, but still needs to have the framework sanded smooth.

The right wall has been framed, but needs to have the excess trimmed off to maintain the profile...

Next up, the rest of the roof spars, the framing for the galley walls, and then the outer skins.

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HEY! So that's where my Vise grips went! I lost two pair a couple of months ago. Haven't sen 'em since. Tell them to get on home if you're done with them.

But seriously, folks, keep up the good work. I'm also curious as to the final weight.

If you're snacking in it, would it be called the "Nacho Pod"?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the roof spars installed last night. I picked up an air compressor kit that included two nail guns, a finish nailer and a brad nailer.

I have been using the hell out of the Finish nailer. I love it! lol

Tonight, I'll be pulling the teardrop out of the garage and into the sunlight so I can do some work on the rear galley bulkhead framing, and may even get so far as to get the first piece of inner roof skin cut.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take it from a guy who loves to work with wood, use a lot of Elmer's glue. The glue will bond with the pours of the wood, and create a tighter hold than any nail could ever do. This "Escape Pod" will shake a lot over the miles, and throwing a gallon of glue onto it will only help for longevity. Over glue everything. Then, just use a wet rag to wipe off the excess before it dries. I am completely anal about the jobs that I do, and absolutely hate call backs. Quite honestly, glue makes me money.

This is a great build to watch. I had marked her as a favorite a while back.

Tony
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Take it from a guy who loves to work with wood, use a lot of Elmer's glue. The glue will bond with the pours of the wood, and create a tighter hold than any nail could ever do. This "Escape Pod" will shake a lot over the miles, and throwing a gallon of glue onto it will only help for longevity. Over glue everything. Then, just use a wet rag to wipe off the excess before it dries. I am completely anal about the jobs that I do, and absolutely hate call backs. Quite honestly, glue makes me money.

This is a great build to watch. I had marked her as a favorite a while back.

Tony

Urethane Construction Adhesive all the way

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay