Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins by Bozzie
Started on: 01-26-2012 05:45 PM
Replies: 1166 (48394 views)
Last post by: Bozzie on 02-21-2023 06:27 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good lord !! bozzie you are so good with fiberglass it is almost disgusting ! wow !
IP: Logged
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

Lots of changes , re changes, going backwords and now finally moving forward with a plan that works. It really isn't easy building something from pretty much scratch, and making it pleasing to the eye.

LOL, "Mission creep" has been the bane of my existence, and one of the reasons I've only driven my '88 about a year out of about 16 years of owning... I Don't know how many 100's of hr's gone up in smoke because the results didn't meet the needs. Maybe you, Carlo and myself could start a support group...

Have you thought about doing a splash of your modified windshield surround, that could save someone else (hint hint) a lot of work, I like the idea of being able to use the Sebring windshield without cutting it. Wish I thought of it.

Cant wait to see where you go with this.

Joe
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony, thanks again, a lot of trial and error but its looking good as of now. The pics im posting are about 3 months behind so its just taking awhile to get this updated.

Joe, thanks for following this. I totally hear ya on what your saying and can completely understand. I wish a few of you guys lived closer so we could wipe each others tears ! I might actually make a trim for the Sebring windshield alittle later. I just picked up a parts car to mock it off of .......fingers crossed !
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Heres where the hips start out. I used a piece of 1x6 and trimmed it to size. I cut and bent it in at the middle to get the bend shape. This will be duplicated on the passenger side. As I clamp it in place I look it over and over till im happy with the shape.

Lots of time here . This is just the beginning so its got to be in the ballpark before I use it for a mold

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
just more shots

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
from behind and down

Ok, gonna skip the boring make a mold of this part and just jump to the part outta the mold. Once I got it close I applied mold release and dropped 3 layers of glass on it. While it was in the part I sanded it smooth which made it much easier. Here it is on the car for fitment.

Its got some good lines, alittle fine tuning later thou, as always

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Doesn't look like much but trimming and moving it around to get the best fit.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Here im pretty happy with it and moving on to the next stage

Appling the glass to the top bonding it to the doors and hip and rear quarter. Later i'll cut it down to open the door.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
And glassed in

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Then I cut the door opening out and removed the quarter. I welded some braces up to hold the quarter up for now.

Better look at the cooler and bracketry

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Quarter back on .. A lot of sanding and finishing here.

Passenger oil cooler

the Money shot

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Moving onto the upper air inlets......

Cutting pieces of 1x and glass panels and mocking it up

Decided to make a jig so I could do both the drivers and passengers side at the same time . This takes a lot more prep but will leap me thru this. Drivers side looking good so far

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Once there set I covered them in 3" masking tape and applied mold release to them

You can get the idea of the shape here

They have a nice flare to them

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Time to glass

3 layers on each . Took some time because of the lines and curves.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I popped these out of the molds and while I sanded them I needed to make the rear hips go inward a bit.

I made a glass panel and shaped it to fit.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
and glassed

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Whats not shown here is the 1/2 round glass panel I made using 3" pvc and making a panel out of that. I used this to shape the bottom of the upper air inlets so they round in at the bottom. Here im glassing them to the inlets.

A lot of shaping and sanding later shes looking good.

Tucked away till next time. Next step is the rear hatch... time for some metal work !

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Jumping into the next phase here. Kinda skipped a buncha steps but here the hatch is getting mocked up.

Taking a bit to get the angles right with the air inlets. The whole thing will lift up as original

Im welding as I go and refitting it to make sure its right

Pretty much all set here

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
In the air !!

Down and with the inlets on

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Now the next step is starting the rear end. Open book here........Lots of staring at this thing till im blind and trying to get a grip on how to start it before I jump in .....

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!!!

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-06-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Easier said than done, but Bozzie when do you hope to have her finished ?
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys !! Tony, im really hoping for the middle of July to take her into the sun for a drive. Not done but drivable. Kinda like the timing of last year for the Carlisle show. Gonna miss it this year
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Start of the rear area now. I started with a "L " shaped glass form that I cut to size and fit across the rear and onto the top of the deck. I built this the same as always using 2 1x12x8 formica shelves on a 90 degree and 3 layers later poped it out.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
While the next piece of glass was drying I finished the inside of the side vents. Adding a piece makes it much smoother.

Trying on the old quarter for size and getting ideas on the look

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Moving onto the rear taillight area Really liked working on this, a simple piece that makes a huge difference. Its what will finally make the rear look like its coming together after all this time. I actually dreamed of making this when I first cut this car in half for the stretch .

Covered in tape and release

glassed

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
While it was in the mold I sanded it a bit and popped it out

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Here im working on the roundness of the rear and alittle lip spoiler off the deck

And glassed

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007

Sanded it alittle and mocked up the taillight panel

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
She's WIDE

In with the Lotus Taillights

PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I needed to add some venting to the rear deck because the turbo is right below. So I picked a vent from I believe a 84 fiero ?

While im fooling with the center vent Im working on the side NACA vents. I looked into this a lot and the dynamics of it. I wanted to just buy one that would work and make it a lot easier buy couldn't find the right size and shape. So here's my 1'st dab at it.

Also making a scoop for the vent

Once I got the size I made a plug out of wood and glassed it.

Trimmed to fit and adjusted it to the height I wanted

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I left the sides higher so I could shape them above the body line and add the rear scoop.

Center vent area cleaned up

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Here you can see the NACA vent sides cut to shape

I didn't like the vertical nature of the vent so I cut it off flush and worked with sheet pieces. Here I glued the sides on for mock up

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007

Making filler pieced for the sides of the center vent

both sides ready to glass

Trying to get the flow and shape right

Top piece going together

I use super glue to hold these pieces together so I can glass in one piece. There is a pretty good bend to the top piece.. here a block holds it till its dry

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Taping it off for glassing

2 layers later

Ready to glass the center add ons

Cleaned up and solid

and glassed

Cut the hole out and bottom support for the gas door

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Overall look so far

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Along a build you always stumble on the next big thing. For me its this... the rear wing. It was definatly one of the harder things to build but gave me the most satisfaction... step on , mock it up with wood . pretty much build it like I want it to look but about 1/2" smaller so the glass will have room

the center pieces are just to keep the pieces straight , im gluing all this together and to the table for strength

finally...

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
This thing was a ***** ! . There is a lot of shape to is, aerodynamics, as well as angle and sweep. A lot of trial and error getting it as I did. finally its glass time.

Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bozzie

1188 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I have 2 designs for this wing . This is one of them with the sides alittle stout , more abrupt up and down in the front. Not sure if im going to keep it this way but its a start

Popped from the mold and 1st fitting

Just some shots as I round the car and check it out

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 30 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock