Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Build thread: Project RoBoChOp........ (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build thread: Project RoBoChOp........ by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 04-24-2011 09:36 AM
Replies: 212 (14581 views)
Last post by: jetsnvettes2000 on 03-24-2018 02:19 PM
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well howdy everyone!! I got some more done tonite, I glassed the back side of the roof panel to make it stronger, then I glued the floopy seam on the rear clip solving my issue of the sunroof glass! after all that I glued in the windshield and started workin on the inner sail panel trim parts a bit. I decided to not use the archie ones so if anyone needs a set I have some.
Here I ground of all the old glue junk so the glass had a nice surface to bond to

Here I added a bit of glass and resin to make it a bit stronger just in case.

Here I pumped 3m 8115 panel bonding glue into the seam to hold the shape I wanted, after it drys ill be bonding the roof panel to the lip I made for it to sit on, then I will be fiberglassing the seam.

glue in and waiting for the glass

On the back side of the glass if your going to install your own u really need to buy glass primer before u glue it or u take a chance of it not sticking right

This is the glass primer, u rub it on with a dobber were the glass urathane goes

this is the glue, its really expensive for a tube u will need two to do the windshield, also dont loose the little triangle shape rubber parts under the glass, they set the height of the glass.

Here the windshield is glued in and u can see the glue seam on the bottom of the window from the inside.

This pic is for me to remember to grind the weld so the roof panel sits in the groove better

Here I am test fitting the sunroof glass for the last time before I bond the panel, it finally fits right!

Gettin closer

Make me an offer on these archie trim panels for the sail panel I dont need them now

Here is what I am doing instead

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-19-2011).]

IP: Logged
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ITS LOOKIN SWEET'

you gonna paint it silver?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

ITS LOOKIN SWEET'

you gonna paint it silver?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

LOL sweet but nope, I have a few ideas on the color. I was going to paint it black and white but, I have a jar of house of colors fireball red holographic flake sittin on the shelf and ditzler gold dust, I am thinking of mixing a custom color to put on it. when done its gona look like a bass boat lol!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Got alittle farther tonite, the back glass in now in, I had to do alittle constructive hammering but at the end of it it fit! then I put the car top back together and bonded the roof panel to the rear clip!

sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice chop you got goin on so far!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

nice chop you got goin on so far!

Thanks! oh and for the hour keepers add two more tonite I think its at 64 now

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-20-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jets, the chop is looking excellent !

Like what you did with the rear pillars.

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Jets, the chop is looking excellent !

Like what you did with the rear pillars.

Thanks I think tomorrow will be another milestone day for the chop! I am planning on finishing up the last bits of fiberglass by filling the roof seam, I already bonded it tonite with 8115 automix on the ledge I made under the roof panel. After its dry by morning ill be good and ready to dig a nice channel and fill it in with glass and resin. I noticed too I need to cut the front of the roof clip at the bottom of the winshield, it bows out away from the windshield now I suspect that was from raking the windshield back. To fix it I will just simply cut a chunk out of it and just bond it back together with alittle fiberglass. I am going to rejoin the cut part of the rear clip under the sail panel too just for alittle more strength since I will be using the old bolt point as a flange to hold the notchback sail panel stip now. Tomorrow ill post pics of how it all holds together its really simple.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Got alittle more done today but most of the day was a wash grrrr Rain again!!!! I finished the roof seam delete and then cleaned up things a bit and started lookin over the car for things to fix yet. I got alittle bored at that point and just had to know what it would look like sorta together so, I bolted on the decklid and spoiler and threw my mockup sail panel in and the rocker to see how it looks.

Some random pics of all the fun!

Before:

After:

This is going to look cool hehehe
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Rob!

Steve
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alittle more done today before it started storming yet again! geez what do I live in the jungle now? daily rain storms!!

New wipes via diy-stu

The glass is in but ran outa time before storm to adjust
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a break from the chop tonite and let my daughters take a crack at some fiero doors, they did pretty good!! the doors are apart!

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got back on the chop today, Had to take a week off from it to get some work done on the corvette in the garage. And now for the show............

Started the day off with mud work

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, the dumpster is gone!!!

Steve
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Hey, the dumpster is gone!!!

Steve

Yup I fired the contractor. After two months of jerking me around and not finishing the house I told them I had more than my fill of the bs. For refrence if you are around here and have tornado or flood or fire damage stay away from service master they are the worst rehab company ever!
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Jets that is really looking good there.... You are getting done quick too... The height looks about right too. That is really gonna be a nice car very soon... peace

Pete

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!! oh for the ones keeping time I had 6 hours in it today and 5 a few days ago but with that 6 hours today I was stoped a few times to fix my brothers car real quick.

Here are a few more pics for ya

Yup the corvettes multiply like rabbits around here, the next project is on the body cradle behind the fiero next to the 77 its a 79 vette.

I think the seam delete looks good, I am glad I decided to do it!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-30-2011).]

Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

WHOA!!!! is that the corvette from the garage i see outside!!!!!!! omg did rob clean his garage finally!!!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

WHOA!!!! is that the corvette from the garage i see outside!!!!!!! omg did rob clean his garage finally!!!

Lol yup had to get the frame out so I could drop the engine in it. I am waiting for a few parts but I think by wensday the vette body will rejoin its frame finally then I will be bringing the 82 vette here and stuffin it in the garage and workin on fixing the front end that got smashed grrrr it never ends!!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-31-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did alittle sanding tonite I think its about 98% ready for paint! I just need to fill a couple of bo-boos and time to shoot if the weather acts nice tomorrow

Next time I post pics I hope its of painted parts!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SO I said I woulnt be postin till its painted well.........

Ran outa base so these didnt get painted this time around grrr.

Tomorrow ill be able to finally start puttin some of it together!! but not too much tho I need to get the vette body back on frame tomorrow too!
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So on facebook i was just asked how much cash I have into this chop so far and well I think ive prob pulled off the cheapest chop so far.
I am under two grand in total cost but!!!! I had alot of parts layin around and friends here on the forum gave me alot of parts as well or traded me for parts I needed. Even the paint so far didnt cost a dime! I had leftover from a car I had painted at work and just by chance the base was the same white as on my fiero! i call that luck! I also had alot of credits built up at autozone so any tape or supplys i needed I got those free w my stored up points! so yup so far robochop total cost with buying the car for 300 bucks and the 500 I put into making the interior is under 3 grand so far......... I will blow that outa the water soon tho many changes are yet to come!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-04-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally got back to the chop project tonite and started to modify everything for the interior. The head liner was really easy to mod to fit, all I had to do is cut it back about a inch on the fiberside and pull the backing board away from the headliner cloth, then I just simply folded it over the new cut line and done had it in in ten minuts!

the dash went in really easy too altho i had to wiggle it past the steering wheel a bit now that the windshield lays so far back.

I am hoping to have it done within the next two weeks with phase one of the build, next summer ill start phase two with new bumpers a engine swap and tail lights.
phase three will be a diffrent hood and possibly a wide body kit, I am not shure yet tho I kinda like the look it has now without the widebody. In the future it will also be getting a color change, the white is just temp to keep it all sealed up.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-19-2011).]

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work. Turned out great.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alittle farther w the chop today, I spent most of it trying to get the rockers to fit better, they need Alot of work to make them look right and well I am picky so I have alot to do yet before I am happy with how they will fit in the end product.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-25-2011).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking very good.
What else do you have plamned?

------------------
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

Looking very good.
What else do you have plamned?

I think next summer I will do the corvette tail lights with some kinda custom front and rear bumper. I think this year yet I am going to add a mustang scoop to the decklid or do the idea Av8fiero and I were kickin around but thats top secret!! I also plan on some sorta engine swap, I am torn between the 3800sc and a turbo 8, I like speed but I also like noise and well the 8 wins the noise but the 3800 well its fast!!! ugh so many choices maby ill just get another fiero and chop it too and have both!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-26-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Grrr why am I having such trouble tinting the darn back window!!!@ its flat!!!! ive tinted tons of windows why is this kickin my ass! I give up time for a beer!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after a awesome day I think I finally made noticable progress in the interior! I had to take most of it all back out when I decided I wanted to do a black border on the back window to hide some of the glue and back side of the interior bits. I then got brave and decided to tackle my nagging sunroof seal issue and made a fat spacer for the clamp wich in turn seems to have finally done the job.
here are a few pics nothin much tho was so busy workin forgot to take pics!

I decided to add even more padding to my arm pad I made and boy is it ever comfy!

Av8fiero here is a pic for ya I managed to get the sunroof glass to conform to the seal!! boy is it under alot of tension!
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jets man, you got some serious SKEELS!! That is looking very professional. Some more work and some nice rolling stock and that will be one sweet ride.... Congrats on having the balls to take on a chop and the skills to finish it and make it look good. Peace

Pete

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Jets man, you got some serious SKEELS!! That is looking very professional. Some more work and some nice rolling stock and that will be one sweet ride.... Congrats on having the balls to take on a chop and the skills to finish it and make it look good. Peace

Pete

Thanks! I have been cuttin up and doing custom corvettes for 15 years now and I basically started this project out of sheer bordem of corvettes! I have a really nice set of vw 18's I will be putting on it if I can find a set of wheel adapters I am happy with or I just may get a diffrent aftermarket set and sell the vw rims and with that ill lower the car as well.

I plan on opening my own shop within the verry near future, I am waiting for the economy to pick up a bit and the banks to ease up their loan situation.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-27-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that is cool man but it is just a shame your out in WISCONSIN!! I seriousy doubt I could afford custom work like this anyways unless something changes pretty serious.... Good luck with it tho....peace

Pete

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing the completed project and some of the corvette in the background
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alittle farther tonite, I finished up making the sail panel trim panels but I am not verry happy with the fit. I ended up using the Archie parts after all but I need to do somthing about the back edge of the panels were they meet the rear clip, they are uneven and well I just am being picky. I am not bashin the Archie panel tho its not his fault they are uneven, the rear clip from the factory has some defects in it and it makes them apear to be off a bit ill fix that later when I give the car its final paint job.
I had a bit of damage fitting them too I knicked my temp paint up and chiped a bit of the corner above the rear window were the body curves around grrrrrrr guess ill fix that later on when I give the car its final paint job next summer. For now ill just fill in the problem with a bit of resin and touch it up I didnt think this paint would last forever and well I guess its thinner than I had first suspected, it chips pretty easy ugh! I am not a fan of chroma base its so brittle! prob coulda stood to give it a few more coats of clear, it prob would have held up to chips a bit better but free is free and I didnt have much to use.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-08-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Looking forward to seeing the completed project and some of the corvette in the background

here is alittle eye candy for ya of two of the corvettes I have completed over the years
this is a 1966 corvette vette rod I built

Thats my bud scott he was givin me a hand droppin the body

the 68 427 vetterod I just finished up 2 weeks ago

I have a pretty cool job but how about a before pic of my fiero since I found one!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-27-2012).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Tonite I got alittle further and finished up the sail panel trim parts and painted them, then I started to prep the rocker/scoops for paint. Saturday I will be spraying the rockers and by sat nite ill be able to install them for the last time finally!

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel I think! I have a few water leaks to adress yet with the top around the windshield and I need some sail windows yet but all in all its almost ready for the road!
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will bring down the sail panel this weekend if you want.

Text me Friday if you still want the sail panel.

Steve
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

I will bring down the sail panel this weekend if you want.

Text me Friday if you still want the sail panel.

Steve

Yup ill take it and I have that servo motor here for ya! oh hey I was planning on goin up by u otherwise this weekend to bring it to ya.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1_4_2

------------------
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

1_4_2

? what is this? im not all up to date w the computer lingo
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave