Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Build thread: Project RoBoChOp........ (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build thread: Project RoBoChOp........ by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 04-24-2011 09:36 AM
Replies: 212 (14581 views)
Last post by: jetsnvettes2000 on 03-24-2018 02:19 PM
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*COUGH COUGH* the 84se i picked up is white and has door panels lol

edit i own page 2 YAY!

[This message has been edited by Foxy Fiero13 (edited 05-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Foxy Fiero13:

*COUGH COUGH* the 84se i picked up is white and has door panels lol

edit i own page 2 YAY!

I dont know if the 84 door panels will work I hear somthing is diffrent about them thats why I abandoned grabbin the ones off the 84 at gibsons maby someone can chime in what the diffrence is? I supose if its a easy mod like drillin a couple of extra holes id be all in for them.
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well lmk asap trying to part this bad boy out fast
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well bring them along and we will compare them with the two sets of 87 skins I have here!
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

I dont know if the 84 door panels will work I hear somthing is diffrent about them thats why I abandoned grabbin the ones off the 84 at gibsons maby someone can chime in what the diffrence is? I supose if its a easy mod like drillin a couple of extra holes id be all in for them.

There is a small notch at the upper rear corner of the door panels not found on other years. I'm not sure if it was on all 84's, so some 84 panels may not have the notch
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got very little done tonight and had a small set back. I work on an awful lot of corvettes and well all the corvette crap got stuck in my head tonight as I was modifying the fiero door seal channel. So, I held the channel up to mark my cut no biggie right well lol I cut the wrong side! the chop curve is perfect for the channel to sit in backwards, being I am always messing with vettes I didn't notice the window guide on the inside of the car vs outside were its supposed to be on the fiero! corvettes have it on the inside!! So after I made my cut and fastened the channel I noticed I did it backward! yup I hope that's my only duhhhhhh moment during this build!
Off to the bone yard sat I need a new part! I will post pics tomorrow of the window seal modified on the drivers side, I got that done tonight, just waiting for the glue to dry. I had to quit for the night rain delay yet again!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 09-15-2013).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will tune in tomorrow for pictures
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I got a little further today. I started with changing the right deck lid hinge since the spring was busted, I figure it was a good time to change it since there is no back window in the way. It was really easy to change with a naked car! After that I started to work on the fiberglass and well I am not following the directions at this point.
I want a more boxed look towards the rear of the sail panel, kinda like a hip but more subtle and not a wide body. Also am doing the fiber-glassing different, since I am changing the shape of the sail panel totally I don't need to use the straps u commonly see in everybody's chop pics for holding the glass together. To bond my sail panel areas back on I will be doing it with a combination of 8115 3m panel glue and then fiber glassing them into the shape I am going for.
I haven't cut the roof part yet, don't worry it will be cut to match the angle of the forward roof I just ran out of daylight so had to stop for the night. Here are some pics.

Must have done it right the window fits!

the old busted hinge

first cuts

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 09-15-2013).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting pictures today
Foxy Fiero13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im gonna try and see if i can get those fenders in my fiero tommorow ill call u to see whats going on so we can set something up
PFF
System Bot
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, so I got alittle further today. I started with changing the right decklid hinge since the spring was busted, I figure it was a good time to change it since there is no back window in the way. It was really easy to change with a naked car! After that I started to work on the fiberglass and well I am not following the directions at this point, I want a more boxed look twards the rear of the sail panel kinda like a hip but more suttle and not a widebody. I also am doing the fiberglassing diffrent since I an changing the shape of the sail panel totally I dont need to use the straps u commonly see in everybodys chop pics for holding the glass together. To bond my sail panel areas back on I will be doing it with a combination of 8115 3m panel glue and then fiberglassing them into the shape I am going for. I havent cut the roof part yet dont wory it will be cut o match the angle of the forward roof I just ran out of daylight so had to stop for the nite. Here are some pics.

Must have done it right the window fits!

the old busted hinge

first cuts

Ahhhh.......surgery. Got to love it!

Steve
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got even more done today!! I started doing more of the fiberglass and planing out how I am doing the sail windows different.
I am in the staged of ruff fiberglassin so its not pretty yet that will come later. I haven't decided how I am doing the back of the sail window yet, since the way I am doing it makes the window a little longer than a stock one.
I also got a new windshield today from Av8fiero and the window seal channel from the bone yard that I mesed up!.

Had to re bond the stud, it got stuck in spaceframe

Here you can see how I cut the top away to redo the angle so it lays right

this tye was pulled out too of the roof panel so I bonded in a new one

new windshield thanks av8fiero!

ready to glass

first layers of glass and resin

A huge tip, I use these all the time at work to mix resin in, its a jello pudding cup. My grandmother eats like a pack of 6 a day of these so she keeps me well stocked up at work and home with the cups. Buy your kids jello the cups work perfect! the tounge depressors are from a medical supply company costed 3 bucks for 500

final layer of glass

Right side just about done, needs a light skim coat of resin to fill a few air bubbles but otherwise done and shaped perfect!

Tomorrow I will be grinding down the other side and then starting on the back half of the sail panel area I think ill be mocking up the new form out of balsa wood to get the shape I want then ill glass over it pics to follow!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 06-26-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome progress! Glad to see this project takes precedence over the Vette projects. You've got your priorities straight!
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob, great progress on the chop. Now get that fiberglass done and get all the GLASS in. [You owe me $40, I know where you live! LOL] Also the 68 vette is AWESOME! unbelievable work on that car
TKDchamp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alot more done today, I am beat I have been at it since 8 this morning! time to rest, here are some progress pics, I extended the sail panel window back about 1 3/4 inches. I did this because I wanted the window to match the profile of the car more and it deepens the factory hip a bit the way I bonded it and fiberglassed it. I prob need to do another layer of glass yet in spots but I have the general shape were I want it.

Looks like I have alittle fixin to do good thing I have the extra top panel.

More to come soon! well if it dosent start to rain again!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-08-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Chris I got your greenbacks right here!
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap Batman!!! You bot alot done!!

Now I have to come and see it!

Steve
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW ROB! Happy Mothers day to you! You're a madman! Looks fantastic. I like how you changed up the body lines so it's not exactly like Archie's chops. I'm glad I was able to help you a little bit on your car.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

WOW ROB! Happy Mothers day to you! You're a madman! Looks fantastic. I like how you changed up the body lines so it's not exactly like Archie's chops. I'm glad I was able to help you a little bit on your car.

LOL hey if u wana be here to see how I glass stuff u better hurry hehhe all the glass work will be done by tuesday if the weather stays nice. All I have left is to glass the insides of the rear clip and well they need not be pretty! I think ill have to go get some more resin tho I am starting to run out.
PFF
System Bot
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to see this car again today and wow, its really coming together! I'm sure Rob is thrilled at this point. I am and its not even my car LOL
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob it would be interesting to see how many hours you have into it once the chop and the basic fiberglass is done.

Will give some good perspective to those considering it.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-09-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Rob it would be interesting to see how many hours you have into it once the chop and the basic fiberglass is done.

Will give some good perspective to those considering it.

I have been keeping track of the time, so far I am just shy of 50 hours but that includes alot of mechanical fixing mixed in with the chop, I am dividing my time, as the resin drys I fix somthin else thats broke or wore out, ya cant rush the resin or u weaken it. I would say to get it to the point of being able to start throwin it back together ill prob be in it 60 total hours for the chop end of it, I am doing a few things diffrent than a typical chop so Its going to make it take a bit longer.
If ya notice the back of the sail panel area I extended the curved part back about 1.75 inches, I wanted to reduce the width of the c pillars"?" base to make it look alittle nicer. I m planning on filling the gap with a hybrid notchy/fastback sail panel using the front part of a notchy sail panel cut down and re shaped a bit.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-08-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
NO work on the chop today rain delay grrrrrrrrr forcast says rain next 6 days geeeez gimi a break I am going to need a ark soon this is nuts we have had two good days in the past 5 weeks!
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NO work on the chop today rain delay grrrrrrrrr forcast says rain next 6 days geeeez gimi a break I am going to need a ark soon this is nuts we have had two good days in the past 5 weeks!

bummer Rob, I made a bunch of progress on mine this evening. I'll post some pics in my thread soon. Watch out! I might get done before you!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh u will be done before me I dont have the budget u do lol!!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sory guys no progress the last three days, I have been busy with kids band concerts and rain! the weather seems to be stuck in a good all day till I leave work cycle double grrr!!! I should be on it sat again for shure!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey!! I got some work done today but as with any custom project I have ran into a few speed bumps I need to adress, I have a few ideas to fix it but I am open to suggestions so here are the pics:

here is a pic of gtkieth standing next to the chop he is 6'4"

We had to fix the seal channel it was rotted out , luckly I had a a spare set

here kieth is helpin install the new seal channel

Here is were I cut back the rear clip for the roof panel to sit on, but here is also were I ran into a snag, now that I cut it back the roof fits and sits flush but, the roof flattens out in the middle a bit now and the sunroof glass has a bit of a arch to it, should I just shim the roof section to match the glass I will have further pics

U can see in this pic how I alterd the roof line just slightly diffrent from the others my sail panel area is about 1 3/4 longer than the other chops I didnt like the stock look so I rounded off the back of the sail panel area and will be making it so the glass lays flat in the new shape so I can add a scoop later on with the glass.

Here u can see how the sunroof glass bows higher than the rest of it, I need to figure out shiming it but I have an idea how to deal with it, I also noticed I need to do some trimming of the fiberglass on the bottom side of the rear clip, it is hitting a bit in the corner of the roof making it not line up right. its a easy fix just annoying now I need to take it back off yet again!

Here u can see the glass arch higher than the rest of the roof line in the middle I need to shim it I guess.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-15-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got alittle more done today, I went to the bone yard and picked up a nice set of sail panels from a notchy to cut up for my hybrid sail panel.

Here are some pics for ya, only two tonite I had stuff to do so didnt work long on it.

I laid alittle glass tonite too and started grinding it but it got too dark to take a pic so I will tomorrow of the aftermath of sanding

Here is my concept of the hybrid gt/notchy sail panel, I did this due to extending the sail panel area, the stock sail panel is too short so this is my way of making it longer, ill post better pics of how it all goes together tomorrow if I get time to work on it. The front part uses the stock mounting clip on the back to hold it down.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 05-16-2011).]

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this car going to get finished soon? LOL

Steve
PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Is this car going to get finished soon? LOL

Steve

It will never be done!!!!!! as long as they keep makin fiberglass ill keep makin stuff!
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sail panel looks great Rob! I'm not sure yet but I may do something similar on my car. I'll call you tomorrow. Get that rear clip off and we'll see what we can do with that roof line by the sunroof.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh almost forgot with todays work I am at 60 hours.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw the FB update and had to comment on that sail panel cause that is SWEET!

edit: if it really comes down to it, could a non-sunroof top fit in that spot? I know it would suck to undo that fiberglassing...

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 05-17-2011).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Saw the FB update and had to comment on that sail panel cause that is SWEET!

edit: if it really comes down to it, could a non-sunroof top fit in that spot? I know it would suck to undo that fiberglassing...

yup it would fit just as snug as the one I have on it but, I really want the sun roof. My air dosent work, well at least not yet , I think I have the answer to the bow in the sunroof glass tho, I will be making the parts tomorrow to adjust it a bit. That is the nice thing about fiberglass, if u dont like it grind and add another layer!
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True that, I recharged my R-134 system at the beginning of last summer, had ice cold air throughout the season, and after pulling it out of storage this spring, it had all leaked out. I love my sunroof!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welll got alittle more done tonite, I was able to come up with a way to fix the issue with the sunroof glass and now I just need to bond the panel. Working hours tonite 2

The force is strong with this one tonite!

Begining the forming of the front roof

All done forming and ready for a skim coat of filler then on to highbuild

Forming the new radius

her ya can see the roof line as we reshaped it

Thats it for pics tonite, Tomorrow I wont be gettin much done on it I have to work on the house a bit.
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you make it look easy
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No work done tonite, the carpet finally went in and I spent the nite cleaning and finally moving the kids stuff back into their rooms! finally my house will be back to normal soon!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock