Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  2008 Custom2M4 Build - We Continue! (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
2008 Custom2M4 Build - We Continue! by Custom2M4
Started on: 02-27-2008 04:32 PM
Replies: 172 (14639 views)
Last post by: RCR on 04-22-2017 04:00 PM
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Firstly, I must say that this build is intense. I'm completely jealous of every aspect of this car. But also, are these gates functional? Sorry if you said it earlier in the thread, I just had time to look at the pics..

Thank you. "Those" gates are not functional, the shifter is just sitting wierd right now. However I'm going to re-make a new shift pattern when I install the 6spd that will be functional.

Originally posted by BabyVet:

looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I wanna see the F1 finders molded on!! and What are the F1 finders from/for? As for the center console what is that from? Looks good man keep up the good work

The Console is a replica from this (Amida Makes the Full Interior)

and the F1 fenders are from this.

I dropped a few pennies and bought the whole widebody kit from this car (its one of my favorite cars). Shipping across the ocean was pretty rediculous though.

I've got another little surprise when it comes to the dash... It's going to seem just too damn easy to do, and totally change the whole thing

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 10-28-2010).]

IP: Logged
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When do you plan to start on the widebody ?
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
When do you plan to start on the widebody ?

If someone mentions W I D E B O D Y it always gets our attention.... Great job as I knew it would be... Smooth

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
(r.i.p.)
" SmoothGT-'w8c' ".....
rough est. date 04/02/2011.....

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on my garage lately, since winter is upon us now. I'm insulating and wiring it as we speak. On the second level I just installed four plugs, four flouresent lights and still to do a few pot lights and also tie in my subpanel out there for this new stuff and a welder plug.

Realistically when thats all done, I'll have no excuses as to why I'm not working on the fiero over the winter.

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 10-28-2010).]

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut some foam.

Tested out some gauges.

Plastered some foam.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004
My Garage Loft Project...

Why so many lights? I'm an electrician and they were all free! So why the heck not.
BoxerFanatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoxerFanaticSend a Private Message to BoxerFanaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

The dash is getting swapped over to this..

That is a nice looking dash, what sort of car is it from? Maybe an 80's era Cavalier?

It looks more cohesive, and classic than the boxy stock Fiero dash assembly. I can imagine that dash, with a custom instrument face, and leather/synthetic dash upholstery, it could go quite well with my idea for an homage to Guigiaro-designed Maserati Bora and Merak. Bora and later Meraks had a dash that looked somewhat similar to that.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BoxerFanatic:

That is a nice looking dash, what sort of car is it from? Maybe an 80's era Cavalier?

It looks more cohesive, and classic than the boxy stock Fiero dash assembly. I can imagine that dash, with a custom instrument face, and leather/synthetic dash upholstery, it could go quite well with my idea for an homage to Guigiaro-designed Maserati Bora and Merak. Bora and later Meraks had a dash that looked somewhat similar to that.

That dash is in my 84' project 2M4. It's from an 78-80 Pontiac Le Mans. I'm just building a new one from scratch for the 87GT.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres the progress on the 87GT Dash 'Stage One'

The Plan;

The Piece;

Fitments;

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004

Cosworth Approves,

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a random one..

Back on topic!

Vents are from a Le Mans

This piece is from a Le Mans (Get it yet? I like Le Mans'.. haha)

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 11-14-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004
What the heck are these keys for?

I also have MOORE vents.. for the dash corners! (Also from that Le Mans! Who woulda guessed?)

I think its coming together quite nicely. I'm still unsure as to how I'd like to finish it, wheither I do the face as well as a bunch of other things in carbon fiber, or just paint it and keep the silver accents.. We'll see how the wrap around edging turns out before I make my decision.

Hope you guys approve thus far!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build...I like the monkey

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-14-2010).]

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the side vent idea! Keep it up!
Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YOU AND I HAVE THE SAME KEYRING!!!!!!!!

Oh and your car is badass.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2010 X-MAS Update!

Built the framework, hoping to have this dash finished within the next couple of weeks, as I want (and I'm sure you guys are too) to get to work on the F1 fenders! I'm going to need the widebody done so I can mount my twin intercoolers in the 1/4's!

Merry Xmas guys! Thanks for checking the project out!

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can dedicate a few hours this week, I'll toss the exhaust pipes back on and mount the turbochargers again for some pictures. A friend of mine is making me a custom y-pipe (aluminum) for my dual 2.25" Inlets. Once thats done I can pipe my Cold side and charge pipes! This is going to be one hell of a summer! (Hopefully not a short one with an F23 behind the engine)

Made a new sig too!

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 12-28-2010).]

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The matched vent on the passenger side looks goofy.

Anyone want a quick fix for a busted dash corner?

Back to the plain le mans look for this dash.

I can always add a door / glove box in there later as well.

And in the booth for some fiberglass....

Just imagine how cold -38 degrees C or -36.4 degrees Fahrenheit is.. Thats how cold it is outside here... I'm greatful for a heated garage!
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! That is some crazy-low temps! I lived in Chicago so no stranger to cold weather, but damn...

Nice job with all of the fitment testing and working in the LeMans parts!
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got off my butt and mounted up some exhaust.

Up she goes!

If it wasn't for my welfare exhaust hanger, I'd really like this next picture.

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004
And some randoms

I really would have liked to keep the exhaust pipes equal length / degree of bend, but I decided last minute that I wanted a small but usable trunk. With the proper diffuser, I'm hoping to create a vaccum to pull most of the heat from the center of that rear section (she's going to get toasty! ) and pull it from under the car without effecting the coldside (Which will be infront and behind the rear tires) as little as possible. Should make for an interesting summer.

Cheers.
Chase.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.. I think this looks pretty bad ass... What do you think?

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wastegates anyone?
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you plan on this being the final iteration of the drive train? I see a 282 5 speed, you thinking about an f23 or an f40?

Think you would ever do headers to feed the turbos?

Do you already have the wastegates welded on? you planning atmosphere dumps? or plumbed in pre muffler?

Looks like it will be a blast, and will probably sound insane!

Chris
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

Do you plan on this being the final iteration of the drive train? I see a 282 5 speed, you thinking about an f23 or an f40?

Think you would ever do headers to feed the turbos?

Do you already have the wastegates welded on? you planning atmosphere dumps? or plumbed in pre muffler?

Looks like it will be a blast, and will probably sound insane!

Chris

When I nuke the 282, I'm going to try the F23, and see how that works out. It all depends on how long everything holds together. I was thinking of saving some cash for a NSX 5spd swap, ( I don't see an F40 in my future). If the F23 holds for long enough for me to get back to my 84 I want that car to be longtudial mounted with the audi transaxle... So for your first question, I really have no idea where I'll end up.

As for headers, I don't see a point right now. The stock manifolds flow quite well, and its not like the set up is really going to be run at massive boost nor are the pipes going to be sure close to equal lengths either. This is more or less a what the hell, why not kinda project. When I get back to it, the 84' SE will be my fast car. I was already thinking about the Audi 1.8t / 5spd longtudial in of my A4..... don't tell the wife ..

Wastegates.. Well look closely at the left one, the dump is welded in right after the turbo on the downpipe. The right one is more or less just sitting close to the position that I'll be installing it. (The dump is the horizonal to the plunger) , I still have to pipe it pre-turbo (They'll both be very similar)

Thanks!
Unfortunately for the tips its kind of a pain in the arse if I want to keep the stock location.

I was thinking about these for stock location tips (porsche)

Dumping it

Side exit

or Center exhaust (would be fairly tricky for the 180 turn)

I haven't really made up my mind on the tips yet, but I think I'll just dump it for the time being and do the tips after I decide on the rear bumper... Too many options.
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I saw the dump plumbed on the one, but couldn't tell completely if that was what it was. Dumps or plumbed it should still sound great. I know the headers aren't necessary, but down the road with the extent of the customness of the turbo set up some headers would just be a great touch.

I have an f23 sitting the in the garage, being used on the ecotecs with such luck I feel it is going to be a lot better than the 282 at shifting at the higher RPMs, and should hold the power quite well.

I have contemplated the longitudinal mount too, they recommend a diesel Audi transmission, they are rated for a little higher torque and are FWD so you don't have the extra diff in there that would just get capped. Are you planning a stretch on the 84? the 4cyl with the audi 5 speed it going to be pretty long (done some measuring for these in the past, for a 4.2 v8 though ).

Side exhaust exhaust could be pretty neat, West cost is pulling it off pretty well on their turbo Northstar, you guys could start a trend

Chris
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:
I have contemplated the longitudinal mount too, they recommend a diesel Audi transmission, they are rated for a little higher torque and are FWD so you don't have the extra diff in there that would just get capped. Are you planning a stretch on the 84? the 4cyl with the audi 5 speed it going to be pretty long (done some measuring for these in the past, for a 4.2 v8 though ).

Side exhaust exhaust could be pretty neat, West cost is pulling it off pretty well on their turbo Northstar, you guys could start a trend

Chris

I have a couple ideas in mind for the 1.8T / 5spd already, I've been going over it in my head. However I've been told that there are guys running 700-800 hp on the stock audi trans. I don't know how true that is, but from what I can tell about mine is that its quite strong.

The side exhaust was my original option, but then I decided that center outlets make the car very exotic looking. However pulling off a center exit on my car requires some really awkward angles. I don't want to cut a hole in my factory bumper because I know its not going to remain there for ever, so I'll have to see what I do for the rear first.

Cheers!
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard much about upgrading the transmission in the 1.8t/5speeds either, but I have heard that when you remove the function of the rear output it chances what power the transmission is rated to handle, that would a sad day

Anyway, back to the 87 GT, you could try and get different muffler that are in and out on the same side to run central exhaust?

Or just end up with awkward bends, that "late" in the system and still being 3" I don't see the turbos being too upset.

Chris
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a complete mandrel bent U bend takes up about 10 inches of room, where I need to snake it past the turbos and under the frame gives me only about 3" from the point of return back under the bumper, so I'd have to swing the pipe in towards the rear tire, then twist back around doing a 270* bend to get it where I want it. Then I'd have to custom make my own tips because I only have about 4-5" from where the pipe would go to where I'd want the tip to stick out.

It might not seem hard in theory, but its alot of extra bends and pipe, plus it brings alot of extra heat into the "coldside" of my turbochargers. I kinda wanted to keep as little exhaust work as possible behind the rear wheels there.
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In case anyone else was interested. The Rx7 glass is 3ft by 4ft long, about an 8" rise....

Or if they need one.. Might have an extra.. :P

------------------

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Custom2M4

4414 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Anyone for some WIDDEE wheels?

JSzpotek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JSzpotekSend a Private Message to JSzpotekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monthly bump?.. Any updates?!

------------------

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm playing around with one of these at the moment...
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How wide are those wheels ?
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
14"

Probally look something like this.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got some work done on this car. My audi needed a few things (trans work, a new chip +45hp, an intake +5hp.. got to love turbocharged cars)

I got some more work done on the dashboard, cleaned up some wiring, and cut / installed the passenger side carpet. I even got to see if I could still photoshop like it used to be able to do.

and since there have been so many people trying to see an NSX - fiero... I made one of those too.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And theres Lobban!

Wiring mess. Not sure where exactly I want to mount this yet.. I'm thinking under the passenger side dash... I still want a fridge in the console.

Some more progress on the dash...

This gives you an idea of the finished product. But I want CF instead of wood grain (piece is from my 84).

And this gives you an idea of how much more room I have to work with in comparison to the fiero cluster.

Here are my 3rd and 4th engine mounts (not including the 2 trans mounts)
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heading out to minneapolis tomorrow for car craft nationals! I'll be heading back with a few toys for the fiero (Its alot cheaper than up here) .

Also picked this up a couple weeks ago

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock