Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  1986 Fiero SE 3.4L pushrod build up (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1986 Fiero SE 3.4L pushrod build up by justinchristie
Started on: 12-18-2008 02:49 PM
Replies: 232 (29092 views)
Last post by: justinchristie on 01-31-2016 04:49 PM
justinchristie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent that last 3 nights installing the new leatherette seat covers on my Fiero seats. The original seat skins were in great condition, but I need to change the colour of the seats because I am going in a different direction with the interior - the tan colour would not match the new interior.

I was impressed before, ...but since they are installed, ... I'm even more blown away by the quality of the seats from Mr. Mikes.

I'm glad I did this little project because I learned a lot about automotive upholstery. The metal tension bars, hog-rings, etc. etc. etc. - it's all really cool

Oh BTW, I bought these seat covers over 1.5 years ago - so you can see how behind I am with the car

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 3.4L | The Fiero Blog (Since April 2000)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Portfolio site | JustinChristie.ca

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 03-18-2015).]

IP: Logged
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justinchristie:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been really busy with video/web freelance work at the moment. That’s bad for getting work done, …but good for extra money to buy fiero goodies

I did, however, buy a GT bumper for the GT conversion I am doing. This should officially make it a proper fastback conversion, rather than using the notchback bumper and doing it half-arsed.

…now i just have to find some time to install it

Just to let you know your going to need to get a GT rear bumper bracket to hang the GT bumper. The notche one will not work with the Gt bumper. Im talking about piece of galvanized metal that screws to the bumper.
fierofury

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice! Looks very clean!

How do you like the 3.4L?
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Just to let you know your going to need to get a GT rear bumper bracket to hang the GT bumper. The notche one will not work with the Gt bumper. Im talking about piece of galvanized metal that screws to the bumper.

Yep, I know. Look at the metal piece just beside the white bumper

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

justinchristie

547 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by fierofury:

Very nice! Looks very clean!

How do you like the 3.4L?

Thanks, the seats turned out very well.

As for the 3.4L, I love it.

I've driven a 3800SC, and when comparing it to my 3.4L (which has a more radical cam than stock 3.4L) it is not that far off. The 3800 would blow it's doors off in the top end, ....but off the line and the low rpm torque street driving are nearly identical.

I'm not a speed-freak, so most of my driving is subtle - which is why the 3.4L suits my needs.

It's a great step up from the stock 2.8L.

------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 04-12-2009).]

Eclipse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking very very good!
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the front bumper off tonight.

The Ferrari 355 nose will be going on next.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I removed the driver’s side carpet, …and everything looks good.

The picture (of the driver’s side floor pan) looks worse than it is. The paint has bubbled, but there is no rust underneath the bubbles - it has a white powdery substance. I think it is road salt. But from owning previous GM vehicles, the galvanized metal underneath the paint tends chip and lift the paint covering it. Maybe that is what this is.

I’m just glad it isn’t rusted out, because all this needs is a little TLC and some rock guard paint and it’s back to new:

I also test fitted the turbo-scoops I bought back in November 2008. They look pretty good - they’ll look even better once they are painted :

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2009 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent a 1/2 hour today, with the wire brush wheel, cleaning up the Fiero floor pans. As I thought, there was minimal rust - most of the paint was just chipping off.

Next step is to primer, and then paint the floor pans with a thick rocker guard compound - which doubles as sound insulation.

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went over to the post office today to pick these up. In one word - AWESOME. These are the trueleo headers.

I will have to address the intake on the Fiero to take full advantage of the free-flowing trueleo headers - but that will come in time. This is a nice add-on for now.

I’m getting a quote on ceramic coating, because I would like to avoid wrapping them due to the risk of moisture and rusting.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I have no updates on the car progress yet. I've been working OT big-time over the last month and any spare time I had was spent on installing a new exhaust system on one of my other cars.

However, all of that has come to an end, and I've got some time off in the next few weeks. I plan on finishing up the outside of the car, and installing the front bumper. If I can get that done in a timely manner, I'll be focusing on the interior next

My goal is to have everything done to a point so I can take the car apart and get the panels painted individually over the winter months. It may be a bold goal, but at least it's a goal

------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 06-24-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the Fiero the last few weekends, but I've had no time to post until now

Anyways, here are the pics - rear internal bumper has been ground down, painted, re-welded, and re-installed. The GT rear bumper was installed with the reverse light modification. The reverse lights were mounted and hooked up.

The best part was the finishing touch - the Kahines ferrari 355 tail lights. they look so sweet

Now it's time to turn the car around, and start working on the front

------------------

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the 3.4L, I love it.

I've driven a 3800SC, and when comparing it to my 3.4L (which has a more radical cam than stock 3.4L) it is not that far off. The 3800 would blow it's doors off in the top end, ....but off the line and the low rpm torque street driving are nearly identical.

I'm not a speed-freak, so most of my driving is subtle - which is why the 3.4L suits my needs.

It's a great step up from the stock 2.8L.

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the results of your pushrod 3.4L build-up. However, you've not said anything else about the 3.4L cam you're using. Assuming yours is not the cam from the crate engine 3.4L, then out of curiosity, what are the general specs of the cam you're using (i.e., its lift, and its duration at 0.050" lift)?

By the way, thanks for the pics re the many other aspects of your project.

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the results of your pushrod 3.4L build-up. However, you've not said anything else about the 3.4L cam you're using. Assuming yours is not the cam from the crate engine 3.4L, then out of curiosity, what are the general specs of the cam you're using (i.e., its lift, and its duration at 0.050" lift)?

By the way, thanks for the pics re the many other aspects of your project.

Mine is not the cam from the crate engine. It is a comp cam, but I don't have the specs here in front of me. I do know that the lift and duration is more radical than stock - which is why the car sounds beautiful - especially when you open it up.

i will find my spec sheet and I'll post the numbers here.

thanks for the comment on the pics - i love to take pictures of stuff, it just provides me with a visual diary of all i've done to the car

------------------

[This message has been edited by justinchristie (edited 07-31-2009).]

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2009 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spray painted the floor pans of the Fiero last night. Looks good as new

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates.

The last 2.5 months have been pretty awful for my family.

I've got some time booked off in the next couple of months, so hopefully I will hit this project up again.

Selfish bump I guess

------------------

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did you do with the tan uphostery you removed?
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

What did you do with the tan uphostery you removed?

I sold that way back in May on eBay.

------------------

labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I spray painted the floor pans of the Fiero last night. Looks good as new

what did you use to spray the floor pans with? it looks like some kind of rubberized coating
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's been a while, but i now have some time to work on the car again. i'm just finishing up the floor pan preparation before I put the new carpet in.

This just arrived yesterday. I bought this on ebay for $54, and I’m quite pleased with it – the fiberglass work is well done, and it comes with the mounting bolts glassed in. The scoop will not only be used for aesthetics, but it will also be functional as well. I'll need to cut a venting hole in the deck-lid.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by labbe001:

what did you use to spray the floor pans with? it looks like some kind of rubberized coating

I used something called "Rocker Guard" that you can buy at your local auto store. It is in a spray can. Yup, it is rubberized as well - it acts as a sealer and a rust inhibitor. I've been using it for a while and it is great - it also acts as a sound insulator. So it should cut down some road noise in the cabin as well.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I was beginning to finish up the floor pan painting I noticed that a part of the driver's side sheet metal (near the rear firewall) was bulging up in one area. So i took a closer look, and then i pushed down on the sheet metal to see what would happen - I heard crunching.

Uh oh.

First thing I though was rusting and/or complete rotting of the sheet metal. So i did a few cuts and found out that there was some slight rusting where one of the rear supports is spot welded onto the bottom of the Fiero. It is pretty much just surface rust that has flaked off - but I can't believe how much DIRT has collected in there. It looks worse than it is, and frankly I could have just left it alone - but I like to do things right

Also, I have all the interior pieces out - so now is the time to do it. I am going to grind down the rust, apply a rust converter over EVERYTHING, and then paint rocker guard where it is needed. I will then weld in a new plate to cover it up, and then do a final coat of rocker guard to seal it all up. Should be better than new (and stronger) when I am done.

However this is a pain in the ARSE, because I was all ready (and excited) to put in the new carpet tomorrow - now I have to wait until this process is all done, which should be about a week based upon my schedule.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished cutting the metal pieces to replace the sections I removed a few weeks ago. I will tack-weld them in place and paint them with rocker guard.

Once that is done, I can install the new carpet

------------------

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember reading this thread from when you first started it. I was wondering what happened to it. Glad to see you're still working on it as much as possible. Keep up the great work.
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I remember reading this thread from when you first started it. I was wondering what happened to it. Glad to see you're still working on it as much as possible. Keep up the great work.

Thanks man I've been working on this car AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE since April 2000, ...and it is still a work in progress

These cars are never "done". But when they are, it seems it's time to move on to something else

------------------

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These cars are never "done". But when they are, it seems it's time to move on to something else

Not for me. When I finally get my Formula to where I want it.. It's time to drive the piss out of it.

GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These just came in. They are TERRIFIC quality - far beyond what I expected. The gel coat is the best I have ever seen on aftermarket fiberglass. I did not realize how BIG the 4″ LED lights were - these things are MASSIVE! I can’t wait to install these after I put the rear fastback clip on.

Where did you buy there from???? I have been looking.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finish this crazy build!!! looks GREAT
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86FASTBACK:

Where did you buy there from???? I have been looking.

http://www.kahines.com/

------------------

GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Thank you soo much!
PFF
System Bot
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

finish this crazy build!!! looks GREAT

Thanks dude. Hopefully I'll have the front end and interior done by the summer so I can at least take it for a spin around the block. Paint might be next year though

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:
...what are the general specs of the cam you're using (i.e., its lift, and its duration at 0.050" lift)?

Here is the spec sheet on my cam. I finally found the folder that I keep all the Fiero documentation in...

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86FASTBACK:

Awesome! Thank you soo much!

No problem.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a while since I’ve had a chance to work on the Fiero, but today I welded in the floor pan plates.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a month or so since I focused on the Fiero, but I had some time this weekend to finish off the rest of the floor pan welds.

I had to jack the Fiero up so I could get underneath to complete the extra welds needed.

Next step is to grind all the welds down, and put adhesive/sealer underneath, and then paint over everything with rocker guard.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have sealed the welds underneath with an automotive based adhesive, and then I painted over everything with rocker guard.

For the interior welds I used “liquid-metal” and then gave it a thorough sanding to smooth everything out.

A few coats of rocker guard finished the job up nicely.

------------------

justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the floor pan restoration is complete, I have time now to focus on other installations.

Yesterday I started prepping the JimmyS scoops for installation.

Using a diamond cut-off wheel makes it VERY easy to cut - it goes through it like a warm knife through butter. So you have to be careful.

I just cut inside the lines, and then I used a metal file to smooth everything out - followed up by sand paper. I'll drill out the holes tomorrow.

------------------

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work!

I just put my side scoops on as well. Take some more pictures when they're on the car, they really transform the look!
justinchristie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justinchristieClick Here to visit justinchristie's HomePageSend a Private Message to justinchristieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Great work!

I just put my side scoops on as well. Take some more pictures when they're on the car, they really transform the look!

Thanks man. Yeah, I've got the driver's side on right now and it looks pretty hot, ...but I'm having some fitment issues with it - mainly the driver's door is rubbing against it. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can adjust the door skin slightly. My door sags a bit though, so I may need to get the RD door pin kit to straighten it out.

i'll post some pics shortly.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay