Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  THE ULTIMATE FIERO BUILD LAMBO REPLICA (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
THE ULTIMATE FIERO BUILD LAMBO REPLICA by merciero
Started on: 04-14-2009 07:55 PM
Replies: 152 (33385 views)
Last post by: psychosurfer on 02-22-2012 06:33 PM
merciero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the front fender areas are all welded up now time for the rear, pics tomorrow
IP: Logged
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is a lil bit of the metal in the rear not all of it is in there but you get the idea. its alot of metal but it doesnt wieght as much as you think. i want it to be strong. but the interior is sitting on the car as well... for reference

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok sat i weld up the other side and then pull the skeleton out to grind it up
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merciero:

no when i got the car it was stock.... i did the stretch myself....... im using the motor and trans out of the 06 grand prix GT... its the 3.8 supercharged v6 what do you meen subframe connectors? could you post a few pics for me... im not sure i follow

Subframe connectors are what you tie the front and rear frames together with to make it a solid frame car the way we did our Camaros, Vegas and Novas in the day for drag racing. I did it four or five years ago maybe longer time passes by fast will look to see if I can find the pictures but I showed them before in a thread somewhere.
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i got the rear all mocked up and pulled the frames out to get welded and grinded down... then i will epoxy the frames in the car weld the 4 frames together with some braces and 1 1/2 tubing that goes under the door jam. so it will be one large solid subframe... and then fiberglass the frame to the body. .. here are a few pics of the frames you can kinda get an idea of where im coming from..... also the batwings i just got done with... i framed it up and designed a hinge so they will actually be functional.....

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
welding up the gaps and joints, grinding and just got done attaching the deck lid to the frame.... hopefully it turns out good in the morning
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just picked up 2 sets of jetta trunk hinges for the trunk and hood.... i think im gonna use the fiero engine cover hinges for the deck lid of the lambo..... and i found a mercedes in the woods with the perfect lambo latches. so ill get those off tomorrow.....
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and i found a mercedes in the woods with the perfect lambo latches. so ill get those off tomorrow.....

Oh, no big deal. You just found a Mercedes in the middle of the woods?
Where are these woods at? Haha.
proff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this might be a stupid question but I have to ask
What happens if you need to remove the Gas tank for any reason?

Originally posted by Dash:

really diggin your work dude
but dont you think that x-brace on the bottom might be a little troublesome come time to change the fuel pump?

mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the skeleton is looking awesome ,it should give the body a strong feel,if i were wearing a hat it would be off to you right now sir.
you are kicking ass dog
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys im glad your enjoying the build....... first the gas tank can come out the braces are removable under the tank...... next, i just got done fighting the skeleton pieces back into the car.... very tight fit..i put a thin foam strip on all the metal that is touching the kit to keep a tiny gap between them .. now i will connect all four pieces together, then glass them in............. yeah!!!!!!!!! almost time to mount..
PFF
System Bot
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok just got all the subframe connectors done, all the front done and all the rear done... everything is connected..... its freakin solid.... ill get some pics tomoorow
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Is this a lightweight sportscar you're building, or an armored personnel carrier?...JJ. Nice metal work.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 08-30-2009).]

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol well i was waiting for someone to ask that or say something about the wieght... its actually very light. put it this way every bit of the metal im putting on is lighter then one firero door. so im not adding much wieght at all. i carried all 4 pieces or frameing out to the driveway all together at one time..... and it was no heavier then maybe 1 wheel. so its very light.. and its only like 18 guage metal
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok got the body flipped over.... which was very hard to do.... glassing the metal to the kit..... i sprayed expandable foam in all the gaps and holes so its solid.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol well i was waiting for someone to ask that or say something about the wieght... its actually very light. put it this way every bit of the metal im putting on is lighter then one firero door. so im not adding much wieght at all. i carried all 4 pieces or frameing out to the driveway all together at one time..... and it was no heavier then maybe 1 wheel. so its very light.. and its only like 18 guage metal

That's what I was thinking. It looks like a lot of metal, but it can't be overweighing the car that much at all.

This is an exciting build and I like it because you're doing a lot of things right. It's going to be amazing when you finish it that's for sure.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2009 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol well i was waiting for someone to ask that or say something about the wieght...
.. and its only like 18 guage metal

It is fairly easy to calculate the weight based on the weight/ft from the steel manual (I use Ryrsons - sp??) then you would know (+ a couple lbs of welding wire).

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Cant believe I am the first to say it.

I think your alignment is slightly off.
LOL.
Nice work.

ok i got the rear all mocked up and pulled the frames out to get welded and grinded down... then i will epoxy the frames in the car weld the 4 frames together with some braces and 1 1/2 tubing that goes under the door jam. so it will be one large solid subframe... and then fiberglass the frame to the body. .. here are a few pics of the frames you can kinda get an idea of where im coming from..... also the batwings i just got done with... i framed it up and designed a hinge so they will actually be functional.....

aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HIOSILVER!:

I Cant believe I am the first to say it.

I think your alignment is slightly off.
LOL.
Nice work.

No, that's just what the cool kids are doing these days:

Ha.
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aeffertz:

No, that's just what the cool kids are doing these days:

Ha.

WoW a air bagged rabbit sweet
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats a sick lil bunny........ but i got all the fiberglass on the rear done ill take some pics tomorrow... now im welding up the windshield frame... pics comin soon.. im calculating metal wieght. and im somewhere close to 250 lbs for all the metal i added thats bought the wieght of the stock doors. huh?
PFF
System Bot
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes good luck fast...... ill post some pics of a step by step way to do the stretch the best way................. but i finally got all the glassins done, all i gotta do is finish the wimdshield frame and im ready to mount. pics later today
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

impressive job with the framing !
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeahhhhh window frame is all welded up and glassed in.... now its time for squaring up and mounting........ pics friday
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok i got the entire kit mounted, all brackets, everything.... i got the hood done, and the latch is just a normal latch off a utility tool box. works very well. i had to straighten the kit, the area behind your head was crook-ed, so i straightened it up but that made the decklid and batwings not line up.... so i gotta fiberglass them. i also got the decklid hinges welded up. here is a diagram of where i put metal for the skeleton, ill get some pics tomorrow. i also undercoated the entire underside of the kit, to protect the metal, make it look pretty, and to quiet down road noise...
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

merciero

220 posts
Member since Mar 2009
black is 3/4 tubing and grey is 1 1/2 tubing
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Merc,

Did you talk to MM on the kitcar forum about getting a set of his working bat wings ?
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i already made my batwings work,,, its a lil different then MM. but the hinge was inspired by his work...
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heres the hinges i used.... older jetta

hood attached

bracing to hold the body

body now mounted

hood latch done

now here is my trouble area.... the kit was molded not square, so when i mounted the body the upper rear portion was off... causing the deck lid to no line up.... instead of reworking the decklid, this is what i had to do..

heres before

heres after

glassed in the metal for the decklid

my merc latch ill be using, i made a plate to bolt to it to help with mounting strength

my wheels im using... decided to go with 19 giovannas bc i got them from a guy hard on cash for $300!!!!!!!!???????:::::"""""""""

skin wiped the fender to test the body

i glassed up the blown airbag off the GP steering wheel and put a bull badge on..ill paint it the same color as the car... im deciding if i should leave it or glass onto it to make the bull look kinda 3d in the airbag, you know so its all kinda flush looking

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

merciero

220 posts
Member since Mar 2009
i also undercoated everything under the body..... everything.. i undercoated all the underside of the kit, and all the metal, to kinda hide some of the ugly welds..... now i need to trim all the metal around the hinges, latches, lids, everywhere...get a few more pics soon. also the after pic was messed up here is the after

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok big problem.... i put the wheels on the car to move it and my damn rear wheel fell off.... the hub seperated..... do i have to have the axle in to hold it together or is my hub just shi**y... now i need another asap
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok big problem.... i put the wheels on the car to move it and my damn rear wheel fell off.... the hub seperated..... do i have to have the axle in to hold it together or is my hub just shi**y... now i need another asap

Yes, the rear wheel bearings are pressed together and need the axle shaft installed to keep them together. You should not roll the car much w/o something to hold the bearings together.
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
body work, body work, body work
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

It's nice to see more kitcar guys here, the ingenuity you all have is awesome!! Over at madmechanics.com there is a pic of your/someone's car with a radiator on the front passenger side, this your ride or is it something your going after? If your doing this, can you do a good write up with this aspect? Details would be nice, .....

Ok, i'm feeling lazy about reading this thread, ..... Have you reported yet what engine you are going to use?

Oh, and your a bastage! hahahaha, lol..... Even though its far off, I was hoping to do the first front corner rads on a fiero.. lol....

Great thread! Is there a top for this kit?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok well today ive been at battle with the batwings....... because of how i did the frame on mine and how i did my hinge, it would open and shift inward pushing the wing into the decklid...... so i spent 3 hours trying every kind of hinge i had.. cutting welding nothing worked...... so as i was about to downshift to defeat, i noticed a hinge inside our cabinet.... i pulled it off and went outside and tried it.. that was followed by me yelling at my wife to suit up and get in the car... were heading to lowes.... i found a 3 axis butterfly hinge very wierd... but i removed the spring out of it.... and it would open up and out at the same time.... so i bought 4 of them... welded them up and presto.. it worked flawlessly.... ill get some pics tomorrow....
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love it. Definitely keep the pics rolling dude.
mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I love it. Definitely keep the pics rolling dude.

yeah,what he said...awesome
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are the pics of the batwings....... i also made a template of my tailight... and made a metal bucket to hold the sonota taillight guts...... this allows me to mount the light so it is removable

and the taillights

merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok tomorrow im gonna clean up all the boogered welds, paint all the metal and sand down the fiberglass repair areas........ try to clean it up.... i also have to cut the batwing off the metal where i goo-ed it together so i can level it and glass it to the batwing frame...... finally picked up another paint gun.... i forgot there was some epoxy paint sitting in them so i had to trash them.... but i picked up another and ill hopefully spray my first coat of primer on this weekend so i can start my body work
merciero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mercieroSend a Private Message to mercieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

merciero

220 posts
Member since Mar 2009
ok i just got back from picking up my motor.... what a deal!!!!!!! i found an 06 grand prix supercharged 3800 GEN V get this... $202.50... beautiful motor, clean....... sweet... and its a GEN V. ill get a pic or 2 tomorrow... i wont drop it in till body work is done....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock