Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Building a sport luxury interior + other mods (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Building a sport luxury interior + other mods by Chris_86GT
Started on: 04-01-2009 11:03 AM
Replies: 259 (51955 views)
Last post by: deloreanant on 08-25-2016 12:43 AM
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make me one! Haha looking so good!
IP: Logged
TheJohnB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheJohnBSend a Private Message to TheJohnBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Chris.

I got In here just for your build.

So far so good,you say you do this as hobby,but you should know that your work on fiberglass is amazing.

Most people will just plaster over something to get something in shape then apply fiberglass and plaster it with body filler,but instead of that you took a clean piece of fiberglass out of a mold that you made,and not only that,but you also used Gelcoat over Body Filler.

Your fiberglass parts are made with the very professional way,they are well shaped,smooth,and they remain light,so good that i'm afraid to compete with you. :P

My first impressions project-wise are that the vents are fitting Seamlessly but they are a little too classic for my likes. :P

I can't wait to see the rest of the dash and Central Console getting skinned.

Anyways.

I hope you will get your car on the road soon,and i hope i will see it in person!

I read about your Economic Crisis Mood and i hope it wont change any of your plans,most of the cars like Fiero are ending up rotting in a Garage without license plates,such great cars "killed" due to the unfair austere tax system based on Engine Displacement which are leaving 40k 1.8 Mercedes with less than half taxes compared to the Fiero because the displacement is less.

Now you have to pay 880 Euros per year and about 500 on Insurance,i hope this wont detach you from the Pontiac,if you come to this,at least try to lower the Displacement on the Registration paper to 1.8.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please post more interior pics. it looks gorgeous.
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been watching this thread from the beginning. I always get frustrated with how far apart the updates are. but every time you finish something, my god is it good. your fiberglass work is amazing, your dash ideas are fantastic. i love the center console, the actuating screen, the buttons by the shifter. and the fan to keep the controls cool, genius! and you made it look easy. and let me just say....

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

...That is Beautiful. i love the nostalgia of the original dash. probably wont change mine. but yours looks fantastic. keep it up my Greek friend.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your kind words, I wish I had the time to move on and finish it.
I don't want to rush things just to finish and I thing its better this way because I always have a good idea at the end.
I still have some aces up my sleeve and when all done I thing it will be stunning.

I still have the original dash and I can put it back any time I want. My plans for the car are to make it historic and maybe in a few years my interior and exterior mods will be for sale.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well in the meantime you can always spoil us with more pictures, from different angles, different lighting, etc.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here are few more pics.

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And a video Cell phone camera at night...

DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is so cool dude. Great build
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you pressing in the ashtray spot? before you're pushing the up/down for the screen?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a three stages switch (up - neutral - down). It is connected with a 3 sec timer, which activates pressing the up down buttons. It has to be up to go up, when it’s up and press the down button it doesn’t do anything.
I would love this to be fully automated; maybe someone who knows electronic circuits can help me with this. Any ideas are welcome.

Originally posted by 07Hoffmannd:

what are you pressing in the ashtray spot? before you're pushing the up/down for the screen?

PFF
System Bot
86gt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gt3800Send a Private Message to 86gt3800Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing build keep up the good work
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is a three stages switch (up - neutral - down). It is connected with a 3 sec timer, which activates pressing the up down buttons. It has to be up to go up, when it’s up and press the down button it doesn’t do anything.
I would love this to be fully automated; maybe someone who knows electronic circuits can help me with this. Any ideas are welcome.

http://www.the12volt.com/12...s/actuatorrevpol.gif

wire like this and use timer to send 3 sec neg signal one wire is up one wire would be down, then you should be able to eliminate the switches in the ash trey.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you jb1,

I will try it this weekend. Please verify that the pic below have the correct setup.
Have both signals (for the up-down) to be negative?

If you know an alternative for the 3 sec timer please post the information. My timer is a little bit bulky because is for heavy duty applications (has a relay on it).

Thanks again!
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes both up and down would be neg. you will have to add a timer on both neg inputs

------------------

87 GT
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-09-2013).]

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice! It's fun to imagine what Fieros would look like now if they'd continued building them, and you are making it a reality!
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of the typical relays you could use 2 DEI 528t timed relays , they have built in timer and carry 15 amp loads , so they would be fine for what you need... they run around $12 ea online..

------------------

87 GT
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it and worked fine. I don’t know if it’s possible to illuminate the buttons when you press them down. You can see at my video above how they worked before.
I know I can’t reverse the circuit because I will have a sort (having both “30” positive current).
Can this be done? I liked it when were they illuminated.

Thank you.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
I made a new battery tray; the new design leaves more space for the tire.
Epoxy primer painted and two coats of wax before fiberglassing.

Three layers of glass (350 grams per square meter I think); around 1,5 mm total thickness (it’s pretty solid).

Before___________________________________________________________________________________ After

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did it and worked fine. I don’t know if it’s possible to illuminate the buttons when you press them down. You can see at my video above how they worked before.
I know I can’t reverse the circuit because I will have a sort (having both “30” positive current).
Can this be done? I liked it when were they illuminated.

Thank you.

You want the buttons to light up only when pressed? you would make a jumper from pin 30 to the + pin on the led in the button, then ground the other side of the led. then which ever relay you trigger would send 12v to actuator and to button light for 3 sec. Not real sure what you mean by you would have a short... but then again I am not sure how your buttons light up but should be pretty simple to make them light up when button is pushed....
If the fact that you using a reversal rest at ground , you can make it a reversal rest at + , depending on what your switches need , or just change pins 85 and 86 in middle of diagram to - and use a + pulse to activate. Any questions feel free to pm me..

------------------

87 GT
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-19-2013).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

You want the buttons to light up only when pressed? you would make a jumper from pin 30 to the + pin on the led in the button, then ground the other side of the led. then which ever relay you trigger would send 12v to actuator and to button light for 3 sec. Not real sure what you mean by you would have a short... but then again I am not sure how your buttons light up but should be pretty simple to make them light up when button is pushed....
If the fact that you using a reversal rest at ground , you can make it a reversal rest at + , depending on what your switches need , or just change pins 85 and 86 in middle of diagram to - and use a + pulse to activate. Any questions feel free to pm me..

Thank you for you replay, I am posting here so the information can be available to any member finds it useful.

You are right; I was stuck that pin 30 had ground, but when you trigger the relay they change and positive is what I wanted. Two negatives won’t harm the led.

And one final question for the lift mechanism. I had with the previous setup when the screen goes down a switch that was cutting the power from the motor when at the bottom position. Can I do the same with this setup? Cutting one cable with a switch it will not leave a circuit to go up.

For the sort I was referring to the cables going to the motor (30 connector), having both positive doesn’t this create a short to the motor?
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an issue with the monitor going down 2-3mm when hitting on bumps. I decided to use magnets to help release some tense from this low torque CD ROM motors.
After few tries found the correct position and they tuned out working very well. Those little magnets that I find inside an old CD ROM are very strong.

Put a spring to speed down when going down and help when going up.
Also the switch at the left (red button) to cut of the power to motor when bottomed out.

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No buttons pushed the motor sees ground , the relay rests on pin 87a
Btw are you not using limit switches to shut off when reaching fully open and fully closed?
And what limit switches 2 wire or 3 wire? If 3 wire , when 1 post is disconnected it connects to the other post pin 30 to 87 and 87a, If it has only 2 post you make a jumper bypassing the switch and use a diode per switch to limit current flow.

------------------

87 GT
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-21-2013).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

No buttons pushed the motor sees ground , the relay rests on pin 87a
Btw are you not using limit switches to shut off when reaching fully open and fully closed?
And what limit switches 2 wire or 3 wire? If 3 wire , when 1 post is disconnected it connects to the other post pin 30 to 87 and 87a, If it has only 2 post you make a jumper bypassing the switch and use a diode per switch to limit current flow.

I have a limit switch only at fully closed. To fine tune when full open is very difficult that’s one reason why I have the 3 sec circuit.
I was thinking to cut the positive direct from the relay, I haven’t looked at the schematics yet, have to see if it will work but I am very positive it will. I will post the final setup when ready.

Thank you again for your time

EDIT to add that I am using 2 wire limit switch.

AND after studding your diagram I just need to put a Diode to the limit switch. This will solve the problem (last night I answer in a hurry without analyzing to understand your diagram…)

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 05-22-2013).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ash tray door was opening on corners so I put a small magnet to keep it in place. The magnet and the metal tab on the door they don’t touch each other; there is a gap about 1mm. Also put a LED and a small switch.

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is such an awesome dash, I would love to have one like that with a carbon fiber wrapped center and red illumination. You didn't make a mold by any chance did you?
Klasse_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Klasse_GTSend a Private Message to Klasse_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gluing the wood pieces to the sides

Night shoots, with no flash on the camera

The Fan controller is from Aerocool, for 3.5 inch PC bay

Reverse left up??

Looking good! Nice with that light wood.

[This message has been edited by Klasse_GT (edited 08-12-2013).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

This is such an awesome dash, I would love to have one like that with a carbon fiber wrapped center and red illumination. You didn't make a mold by any chance did you?

I have a mold but I don’t think it will work with carbon fiber well. It requires some work after releasing the part. In the future I had in mind to make a carbon fiber center console, but it won’t be soon. Still want to make the doors and finish the interior upholstery…
Maybe if I make a proper mold I will make few more… but not in my plans.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Klasse_GT:

Reverse left up??

Looking good! Nice with that light wood.

You can’t hide a 4 speeder

Aston Martin inspiration
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great build! This was one of the builds I came across that inspired me to do a waterfall console in my car. Although I used the stock dash. Mine didnt come out quite as nice but I am real happy with having a tablet in the car now (well at least when I get it working again!)

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

great build! This was one of the builds I came across that inspired me to do a waterfall console in my car. Although I used the stock dash. Mine didnt come out quite as nice but I am real happy with having a tablet in the car now (well at least when I get it working again!)

Post a pic if you like. I would like to see how it came out.

-------------Edit-------------
I just followed the link to your build; it blended nicely with the stock dash. Nice job!

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 08-27-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Post a pic if you like. I would like to see how it came out.

-------------Edit-------------
I just followed the link to your build; it blended nicely with the stock dash. Nice job!

Thanks! I am happy with it. I hope to get it finished up soon. However the stock back part of the console will have to stay as is for a while until I get more time to build that half of it. I am just going to enjoy having an updated interior for a while before I tackle anything else!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally I had some fun making new things for the car

Last weekends I started the completion of the side scoops. First I make them out of cardboard. Then cut the forms to a flat sheet of fibreglass I made (single layer 400-450 grams cloth). Spot glue them together with hot glue for the final adjustments.

And the rocker panel for. I cover the cardboard with tape, fibreglass doesn’t stick to it and it’s easy to release. Of course you don’t have a perfect finish, but for my case worked fine and I don’t mind the extra time I have to spend to fix all the blemishes.

First I make the round end. Then use my “mold” to take the final shape.

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glassed the fins

Primed

Finished product

------------------
My Build thread

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those scoop vanes are awesome!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet...love them!
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all!
And the finished setup from inside...
I can direct the aluminum pipes either to the brakes or the motor. For now the driver side directs air to the ignition module and the other side to the alternator.

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait... are the lower scoops going to the brakes or something else?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Wait... are the lower scoops going to the brakes or something else?

The driver side directs air to the ignition module and the other side to the alternator.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, nice build... too bad almost all the photo's in the middle of the build are just broken links to where images used to be I am doping a custom interior, and wold loved to have seen some of your progress photo's along the way.

A lot of people gripe and complain about PFF Image poster. I see all the time, "I use Photobucket", "I use Imageshack"... and years, if not months down the road red X's and broken iumages are showing up everywhere .....At least with PFF image poster, this never happens. I have over a hundred photos in my build thread I started 4 years ago, and not one single broken image. Sure, it can be a pin, but in the end it's worth it.

Some pics of the almost finished exterior panels.

The only thing left for the ECM cover is to find an open/close mechanism for the door. Maybe I will copy the mechanism from the original.

The fitment isn’t perfect because is just sitting there. When I put the screws it will be ok.

This was sent to the upholstery shop as a guinea pig and the results were disappointing. I wonder what the quality of the job you are getting is; does anyone have pics from his interior so I can see the work done on the stitching?

With the primer on it starts to show gooood....

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-13-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock