Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Building a sport luxury interior + other mods (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Building a sport luxury interior + other mods by Chris_86GT
Started on: 04-01-2009 11:03 AM
Replies: 259 (51941 views)
Last post by: deloreanant on 08-25-2016 12:43 AM
Chris_86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ghost187x:

do not give up! Bump! :-)

Painting of the car is delaying me; it’s not easy to find the same stuff for paint and repairs here in Greece…
For the interior I hope by the end of the month I will be able to start working on it again.
IP: Logged
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2009 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the primer on it starts to show gooood....

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-02-2014).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ye Ole bumpola......
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey you are doing a good job! i admire your work.
ok the interior you are chasing after is from aston martin? is it the vanquish?

BUMP! dont give up on us

[This message has been edited by ghost187x (edited 10-17-2009).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ghost187x:

hey you are doing a good job! i admire your work.
ok the interior you are chasing after is from aston martin? is it the vanquish?

BUMP! dont give up on us

Yes, it's the aston martin rapide.
I haven t finished painting yet... lack of free time... Working again on the interior estimated mid to late November
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any Updates?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MileHighFiero:

Any Updates?

This week I will finish with the exterior fiberglass parts (I gave the first set to Kostarossa), so new stuff to show from December...
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for updates and picturesss!!!! make molds ill buy the parts lol
GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Dont leave us hungry for more!!! Any updates?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok ok I will post some pics of the current progress to feed your appetite... lol
But nothing really new to report... Now I am making all the necessary corrections to the fresh parts... my plan is to finish primer this weekend
MileHighFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MileHighFieroSend a Private Message to MileHighFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get those rockers?

Jamison
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MileHighFiero:

Where did you get those rockers?

Jamison

I have built them myself.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump !!! lets see your success!! i cant wait to see everything finished!! hehe
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
agreed those look great...
bushman-65

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushman-65Send a Private Message to bushman-65Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the side panels all fiberglass molded off the originals that you modified, or are they modified originals? You are really making some nice changes! I mess around with fiberglass and have had allot of issues once the piece is finished and it gets in the sun on hot days! The pieces lose there mirror like finish and you can tell it is fiberglass because of the waves that appear. The larger the piece the worse it is. Are you using polyester or epoxt resin? Thanks and keep up the great work!
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bushman-65:

Are the side panels all fiberglass molded off the originals that you modified, or are they modified originals? You are really making some nice changes! I mess around with fiberglass and have had allot of issues once the piece is finished and it gets in the sun on hot days! The pieces lose there mirror like finish and you can tell it is fiberglass because of the waves that appear. The larger the piece the worse it is. Are you using polyester or epoxt resin? Thanks and keep up the great work!

All the modified parts are fiberglass molded off the originals. I am using vinyl ester resin. How thick are yours? Mine are around 3mm to 4mm; does the thickness count for the wave effect you mention on the hot days?
I am new to this and I don’t have any experience on fiberglassing, so any info will be great.

Chris

*********** EDIT ***********
I measured the thickness it’s 2mm – 2.5mm and in some areas 3mm.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 01-12-2010).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing really new, but I am getting closer…

This was the final test fitting of the new parts before primer

And the sanding begins… 400 – 800 – 1500 wet sand paper

******** Edit to fix a broken link ********

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa... you don't want to get it that smooth before paint. Any kind of paint you use is going to need some 'bite' from the primer. I use 400 grit paper myself. Some guys use 320, but I think that is a bit too rough.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

Whoa... you don't want to get it that smooth before paint. Any kind of paint you use is going to need some 'bite' from the primer. I use 400 grit paper myself. Some guys use 320, but I think that is a bit too rough.

I am going to paint the car red; I have bought the DuPont Ferrari red (acrylic, base and clear). A friend of mine has working in a body shop when he was younger and told me that the base coat is very thin and don’t covers sanding scratches even from a 800 wet sand paper. They where sanding with 1200-1500 sand paper before base. Also for red and blue (non metallic) they sprayed a layer of white in order to cover any body work on primer that will appear like a shadow on the final base.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting closer to start working again on the interior...

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving the color!
PFF
System Bot
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any more progress on that in dash screen thing that pops up? very interested
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 07Hoffmannd:

any more progress on that in dash screen thing that pops up? very interested

I will use linear actuators for the pop up mechanism, but it will take some time before I make it and post details… at best late March.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump... i must say a very well deserved bump at that!!! Great work. i love fiberglass!
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a sample after sanding the clear coat with 1500 wet sand paper and spraying 3 coats (20% thinner at around 18 Celsius) of clear.

I wasn’t happy with my first try, sprayed two coats of clear and the orange peal was visible, the three coats worked fine for me.

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW....looks absolutely beautiful.

------------------
SMTHGT.....

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the dash idea but i am sure i would be over my head in those wires.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last week I was working on the interior; making brackets and trying to figure out how to connect all the parts for a solid and easy assembly. Applied a 3mm closed cell foam pad on the top of the dash (the black think in the photo). The foam will cover all the parts, center console to ECM cover.

[This message has been edited by Chris_86GT (edited 09-08-2014).]

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? You posted that you are ready to cover your dash.

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 07-16-2010).]

Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked to 5 upholstery shops in my area and I was disappointed because no one could guarantee me that the stitches will be strait and in equal dimensions. They say that the auto industry factories have special sewing machines with a guide, that’s why their sewing is strait. I can’t put this in my car and for now I am still looking to find someone to do the job right.

The only thing left for the ECM cover is to find an open/close mechanism for the door. Maybe I will copy the mechanism from the original.

The fitment isn’t perfect because is just sitting there. When I put the screws it will be ok.

This was sent to the upholstery shop as a guinea pig and the results were disappointing. I wonder what the quality of the job you are getting is; does anyone have pics from his interior so I can see the work done on the stitching?

SOV3RN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SOV3RNSend a Private Message to SOV3RNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

This was sent to the upholstery shop as a guinea pig and the results were disappointing. I wonder what the quality of the job you are getting is; does anyone have pics from his interior so I can see the work done on the stitching?

WTF is that? Excited to see the finished product on the interior. Makes me want to do mine. Damn you!
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOV3RN:

WTF is that? Excited to see the finished product on the interior. Makes me want to do mine. Damn you!

It isn’t too difficult to find out. I will give you a clue, it’s the back side and where I hold it, is the height of the center air vents
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that dash looks classy!
Cro577

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cro577Send a Private Message to Cro577Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It isn’t too difficult to find out. I will give you a clue, it’s the back side and where I hold it, is the height of the center air vents

ooh, ooh.. Is it.. The center Console where your screen and stuffs goes?
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cro577:

ooh, ooh.. Is it.. The center Console where your screen and stuffs goes?

Yes and more specific it’s the passengers side.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
I have upholstered the top side of the dash with leather and now I have to make adjustments for the Audi vents I bought because they don’t fit. If I don’t make it I will search for other and be careful this time because the Audi vents was chosen in a hurry only looking to pics…

Cro577

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cro577Send a Private Message to Cro577Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes and more specific it’s the passengers side.

WIN!
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great , and the color choice is a good one , in red :-)

Even in Europe can good things be done.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Torch-Red87:

Looks great , and the color choice is a good one , in red :-)

Even in Europe can good things be done.

Thanks!
I guess your car is red also?
My color is the Ferrari red.
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2010 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_86GT

305 posts
Member since Apr 2008
And an update....

This weekend I will install the Audi air vents.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock