Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Rebuild of Indy Fiero #163 Super Duty 4 (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rebuild of Indy Fiero #163 Super Duty 4 by fierosound
Started on: 11-03-2008 08:53 AM
Replies: 274 (60773 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-24-2023 07:44 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

curious to see how you make that last bend with the throttle cable- re-using the bellcrank from previous iteration?

Yes. It will be the easiest solution and I can use the cables I have.
The TB's bracket would bring the cables over the valve cover (ugly).
And the current cables don't fit the Dodge bracket holes.

Pretty close now.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-25-2018).]

IP: Logged
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

OK, one other question.

Looks like you've got a GM knock sensor screwed in there;
how did you choose a knock sensor, since there are a plethora of options?
[very incomplete list.....]
10456288 (4.3 and 5.7)
10456287 (5.0)
10456549 (7.4)
10456208 (3.1)
10456209 (2.2 pushrod)
I have heard the "bore diameter" thing before, but I'm not convinced.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 07-28-2017).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2017 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have heard the "bore diameter" thing before, but I'm not convinced.

Not sure how else you will decide then...

Pretty sure I got one for a 1993 Chev S10 with 2.5 Duke.
That's the closest SD4 engine "relative" - AND they have the same bore.
https://goo.gl/FCYTeK

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's in! The engine runs!

Not very driveable at present - fuel map is all wrong.
Have contacted the fellow who helped TunerPro it last time.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-30-2017).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Also, thanks to Cody, I was able to obtain the #163 Indy Parade Car Plate.
So after 33 years, it can again be shown on the car it belongs to.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-12-2019).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[u][/u]

Not sure how else you will decide then...

Pretty sure I got one for a 1993 Chev S10 with 2.5 Duke.
That's the closest SD4 engine "relative" - AND they have the same bore.

Do you happen to have a part number? I don't see a knock sensor on GMPartsdirect, Rockauto, or Advance Auto sites.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[u][/u]Do you happen to have a part number? I don't see a knock sensor on GMPartsdirect, Rockauto, or Advance Auto sites.

Oops... I think it was a 91 S10...
or '93 https://goo.gl/FCYTeK

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still working to get this engine running EFI with the 1227165 ECM and NVRAM
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/119333-6.html

We've been fighting with it for almost 2 months and just couldn't get it right.
It was finally pointed out that the jumper settings to configure the NVRAM board to run the TBI probably weren't right. (didn't get a PDF with the thing)

So once I get that corrected, it may be "start from scratch" again.

BUT... it may be better and faster progress.

One of the cleanest SD4 builds that I've seen. As for tuning are you scanning and taking a log? Those early C3 ECM's can be tricky to tune but the guys on the Moates forum seem to have the process down pat.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

One of the cleanest SD4 builds that I've seen. As for tuning are you scanning and taking a log?
Those early C3 ECM's can be tricky to tune but the guys on the Moates forum seem to have the process down pat.

Thanks Dennis

I'm completely set up using TunerPro RT (Real Time) 'live' emulator that can also scan and datalog.
All through the ALDL port with a 1227165 ECM : https://pcmhacking.net/foru...topic.php?f=27&t=356

I'm still checking a few things and may need to start with a different BIN than I have now.
These guys know their stuff too: http://www.gearhead-efi.com...7248d86a7e5f6178e6b6

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-02-2017).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'm sending you my Indy! That is one clean engine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2017 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I test drove the Indy today.

Even with the rough tune - it's never run this good!
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am making progress.

I got most of the base parameters in my BIN in pretty good shape.
Got my fuel grams/second figured out. Idles great at 13.5 - 14.0 AFR.
RPM was be too high when engine started hot or cold - fixed that.
Took a long time for RPM to come down to idle from hot or cold start - fixed that.
Engine took too long for RPM to come down to idle from blipping throttle - fixed decay rate.
Other minor changes in base parameters at this point only. Haven't touched any fuel/spark tables yet.

So now the SD4 starts good, idles quite well for 'lumpy' engine and is quite driveable.
I will be driving with TunerPro RT and recording Datalogs to to see what it needs in more detail.

Solved a minor problem I was having with ECM throwing a Code 24 for VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).
CEL (Check Engine Light) would come on at about 4800 rpm when accelerating and engine would buck.

Here is what playing back TunerPro DataLog showed ECM was seeing.
I'm accelerating "floored" (See TPS, MAP, and RPM) in 2nd gear +60kph when ECM suddenly thinks I'm at 0 and cuts fuel.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-06-2019).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2017 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update...

I finally FOUND the source of the problem causing all the headaches.
An intermittent short of the battery cable near the starter on a heat shield.

On the '84, all the supply wires with fusible links connect there too.
So anytime the short touched, the ECM etc. all lost power for a milli-second.

New cable fixed everything. And it is now well protected.

This engine has NEVER run so well before...
Much, much better than the carburetor or Fast TBI on there before.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-06-2019).]

Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2017 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to here it's running better. Does it seem to have more power ? How about mpg. A sound video would be cool. Any tips on your intake mods for the injectors, like hole sizes and depth if stepped. and angles. Keep up the great craftsmanship, and ingenuity.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

Blackwater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2018 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackwaterSend a Private Message to BlackwaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm brand new here!! First let me say that this is a BEAUTIFUL project!! Very well executed!!

I have a couple of questions. I'm doing research for a project of my own and have already gleaned some great information from this thread. I've read it from beginning to end and it's a great thread!! I'm building an older 153" Chevy II engine and I'm searching for a roller camshaft for my project. I know that the cam bearings and timing gear are the same for both engines and that the crankshafts can be interchanged with a little work. I also know that the very early "Iron Dukes" used the same camshaft and lifters as the 153s.

Here is the first question: Were the lifter bores on the later crossflow Iron Duke and SD blocks different from the earlier castings? Did they change the lifter bore angle or placement?

The second question is for the original poster. Again!! I'm impressed with the level of fit and finish of your project and with your determination to get this working. This is NOT criticism!! I'm just curious!! Have you considered having a little extra material added to the narrow spots on your header flange?? I had to do this to the header on my 153, but it CURED the exhaust leak and gasket damage problems.

Like I said. I'm new here!! I hope I can pick up some much needed information and education here. I'm an experienced mechanic and fabricator, (retired) with fifty years worth of knowledge and training. I owned one of the first Fieros in Nashville, TN, a 4spd LE model. The GTs and such came out later. Maybe I'll build another one someday.

------------------
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber opponent!!

[This message has been edited by Blackwater (edited 02-14-2018).]

Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2018 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony, sent you an email.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blackwater -->> Thank you and welcome to PFF
Lilchief -->> email replied to

Chev 153" engine is a similar but different animal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...53_4-cylinder_engine

I do not have any answers to the questions you posed.
But the SD4 Engine Guide has engine blueprints in it.
http://www.fieronews.net/fu...id=21&download_id=87

I used the cam that was in the SD4 engine and
had it reground by Colt Cams here in Canada.
http://www.coltcams.com/

Header seems to be OK right now, so I don't need to take it off.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-24-2018).]

Blackwater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2018 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackwaterSend a Private Message to BlackwaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the response! I've gained a little more info since that last post! The valve train layout is different between the later crossflow head and the older unit. The valves in the newer head are I E I E E I E I. The older head is E I I E E I I E. The later head COULD be adapted fairly easily, BUT I already have an older head ported, polished, new valves installed with new keepers, springs, retainers, larger stainless valves, guide plates, and professionally assembled.

I talked to Geoff at Colt Cams. If I can find a blank, he'll grind a cam for me!!

Thanks again for all the information you've put together!!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2018 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blackwater:

Thanks again for all the information you've put together!!

Start your own thread about the 153ci engine and move this stuff there so we don't clutter this thread.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank goodness for Pick n Pull!

The last tuning I was doing with TunerPro showed that I needed MORE AIR above 5000rpm.

So I got the Dodge 5.2/5.9 V8 throttle body (OEM by Holley) with it's bigger 2" bores on the right.
It's identical to the V6 TB otherwise, so the only other thing I needed to do was bore the adapter plate to match.

While I was in there, I decided to make the throttle wheel look better too.

I test drove it the other day.
I think this is the perfect combination.
Now it's a matter of fine tuning with TunerPro RT.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-02-2023).]

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bro the car n motor are BEAUTIFULLLLLL! very nice!

shem
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Bro the car n motor are BEAUTIFULLLLLL! very nice!

shem

Thank you... your comment is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-19-2018).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2018 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after a summer of dialing in tune, how is the performance? Has she been on the dyno for a HP check or have you done any timed 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile runs to estimate the horsepower?

Also, I'm intrigued by your finding that you needed more intake. I'd read from several sources that the V6 dual TBI can flow about 490 cfm. I don't know what the SD heads will flow, but if it is in the 300 cfm range, on the surface it would seem like the the 490cfm flow would be more than capable of feeding anything the heads could handle. Any idea what accounts for your finding? I'm now wondering if I should be on the look out for the big 454 TBI, as it will flow over 600 cfm to put in my SD4.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 11-26-2018).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2019 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last month, took the Indy for a drive from Calgary to Red Deer and return for a small Fiero meet.
That's about 145 kms (90 miles) each way at speeds averaging 110 kph (70 mph)

The SD4 seems terrible on gas in the city.
The fuel gauge needle seems to have moved every time you look down at it.

Keep in mind, the 84 has a small tank and you can't avoid "stepping on it" with the SD4.
So I honestly didn't know what my mileage would be like for the trip.

Anyways, after the round trip and a refill I got 36 mpg (30 mpg to US gallon) with the SD4 Indy
This was the longest drive I'd taken it on with the new MPFI system I built.

My GT with the 3.4 V6 Vortech S/C got 31 mpg (26 mpg to US gallon) on the same trip.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-11-2019).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2019 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally finished catching up with this thread. Absolutely unbelievable amount of work you put into this, standing ovation! Thank you for sharing with us.

I have an SD4 engine that’s been sitting in my shop for a long time. I wanted to build a super duty Indy but after reading everything in here I think I will pass! I don’t think I have the patience.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2019 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I wanted to build a super duty Indy but after reading everything in here I think I will pass!

Find an Edlebrock 2-bbl intake manifold and run a 2-bbl carburetor.
Had I done that at the beginning, most likely I'd still have that setup on the engine.
The 4-bbl was just unworkable... could not eliminate "bog" when you punched it.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-01-2019).]

tmadia

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmadiaSend a Private Message to tmadiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read through your whole thread and, wow! Great job on the restoration! Looks fantastic!

When I got to the part where you were having carb issues kept thinking "Why doesn't he just go efi?" I've done about 5 Megasquirt installs and this is a perfect use for one. Looks like you have it pretty well figured out using GM stuff so great job there! Again, fantastic build!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmadia:

... kept thinking "Why doesn't he just go efi?" I've done about 5 Megasquirt installs and this is a perfect use for one. Looks like you have it pretty well figured out using GM stuff so great job there! Again, fantastic build!

Thank you...

A lot of it is "if only I knew THEN what I know NOW..."

And... the tiny Bosch EV14 injectors that make the MPFI I built possible didn't exist before fall of 2012.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-08-2022).]

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if anyone he collects rare Fiero Super Duty Literature, this came from a Pontiac service managers estate sale, very interesting stuff. Plus look at my other auctions I have listed some other Indy pace car stuff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...9:g:JW8AAOSwZehgBMJe
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just making the rounds with the Indy to local car shows these days.
People are very receptive to seeing and talking with us about the Fiero.
(Indy and GT next to it are mine )

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-09-2021).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2022 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found some Indy pics I wanted to add here.
My Indy is #163 of production and one of the 200 Indy Parade Cars.
I even have the original license plate that was on the car THAT day.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-18-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2022 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the Indy is a show car but how is it running long term with the $12p efi? Beautiful car.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2023 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdv:

I know the Indy is a show car but how is it running long term with the $12p efi? Beautiful car.

Thanks.
Every bit as driveable as any stock engine would be, and 30mpg on the highway.

The $12P system is working equally well on my GT's 3.4L with Vortech supercharger.
In fact, it was because it worked so well on the GT, that I decided to build the MPFI for the Indy's SD4.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-25-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2023 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump> went through and replaced the 'lost' pictures today.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2023 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody posted a picture of my Indy on Facebook.
We got caught in a rainstorm coming back from a Show & Shine July 1st 2022.
Over 370,000 LIKES !

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-24-2023).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay