Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Silver Freak Project (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Silver Freak Project by Blacktree
Started on: 05-28-2007 01:51 PM
Replies: 580 (62690 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 09-18-2020 01:51 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
( I don't think I can just call it the decklid anymore )

Front and rear clamshells?

whoohooo! page 9!

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-04-2010).]

IP: Logged
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the plan. A clamshell front end will allow me to perform a couple other mods I want to try on it. But we'll get to that later.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, I installed the hood prop, made and installed some more brackets to help align the body panels, and did a lot of sanding. Below, you can see a few photos of the hood prop. I installed it inside the trunk, on the forward edge. This will keep it out of the elements (and away from engine heat).

Here's a closeup of the mounting bracket for the hood prop. It's just a piece of aluminum angle bracket bolted to the bulkhead.

And finally, here's a shot of the prop rod in the stowed position. About halfway down the rod, there's a hook holding it in place. The hook keeps tension on the rod (pulling it against the bulkhead), so the rod doesn't flop around.

Tomorrow, I should be able to spray a coat of primer on the rear end. Then I'll be going to the Central Florida Fiero Club meeting for show-n-tell.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-01-2017).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news: I was able to primer the rear end today. However, I forgot to stock up on lacquer thinner. So after that ran out, I had to switch to rattle-cans. As a result, the rear end has 3 shades of primer gray on it... LOL.

I think I'll finish up the dash and console next, then get to work on the nose.

Edit to add: I just realized that the last bit of side molding has now been deleted from my Fiero. My Fiero is now molding-less!

fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man does that look sweet! I really like how the "Pontiac" is still included on the rear. What color do you plan on painting your car?

[This message has been edited by fierofury (edited 05-06-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I decided to keep the "PONTIAC" on the rear bumper, because IMO it belongs there. GM killed the Pontiac division. So I'm going to "represent", so to speak.

I haven't decided on a specific color yet, but the body will be painted some shade of silver or metallic gray. The ground effects will be semi-gloss black... with stickers... LOL.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(removed outdated material)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-24-2017).]

FieroDev

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just an idea... Have you ever thought of moulding your spoiler stands to the rear clip? either way you're doing a great job!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I had considered it. But I've used so many different rear spoiler setups on this car, making one permanently mounted would be a pretty bad idea. Imagine all the grinding that would be involved...

I helped out a fellow club member with his Fiero today, so no progress on the Freak. I'll probably work on it a little this weekend, though.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I helped out a fellow club member with his Fiero today, so no progress on the Freak. I'll probably work on it a little this weekend, though.

Thanks Mike for the assist. I got to see Mike's latest improvements in person today, and i must say it is pretty awesome.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 05-14-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Tony.

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmm... I wonder what those black lines are for?

Dude! You are installing an Etch-a-Sketch!? How cool!

Ok, no mas. You car just has the best stance. It has to be a blast to drive?

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, I helped a local club member (PFF username exoticse) bring home a 3800SC for his choptop project. So no progress on the Freak.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, etch-a-sketches are great... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Yeah, the car is pretty fun to drive. It's basically like a big go-kart. One of these days, I'll get this new clutch installed, and I'll be able to use more than half throttle. Then I can hit the dyno, and the drag strip, and stuff.

Today, I helped a local club member (PFF username exoticse) bring home a 3800SC for his choptop project. So no progress on the Freak.

Thanks !

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got tired of looking at raw fiberglass, so I painted the underside of the rear end (semi-gloss black).

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got tired of looking at raw fiberglass, so I painted the underside of the rear end (semi-gloss black).

bellissimo

I like it. a lot.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(remove outdated material)

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a little "somethin-somethin" to my shifter.

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the emblem

I have to ask you where is that shifter from ?

I don't think it is from the Fiero since its chrome, it looks really nice plus I like the shift knob.

Keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I bought the shifter knob from Summit Racing. It fits M16 x 1.5mm thread. The shifter arm is a modified stock unit. I cut out the top part of the arm, and welded in a long bolt (with the bolt head cut off) in its place. It was actually pretty easy. You'll be able to see it in person at the next CFF meeting.

edit to add: I almost forgot, I got the emblems (two of them, one for the dash and one for the front grille) from Paul at fierosails.com

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-28-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(remove outdated material)

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As always, "itsa very niiiice!"

Question: What did you use to paint your headers? Have you used it before? how long does it last? Thanks in advance....

Tony
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The header paint is kind of a long story. When I first got the headers, I painted them with DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Paint, then wrapped them with header wrap (and hosed down the wrap with more silicone paint). The silicone paint held up OK, but needed a little touch-up every so often. Unfortunately, the header wrap trapped water and caused the pipes to rust.

When I got rid of the header wrap, I decided to try the POR-20 Black Velvet exhaust paint. Supposedly, it was the next best thing to ceramic coating. Yeah... right. The POR-20 looked awesome for a couple months, then started chipping / flaking off. That kinda pissed me off, considering the lengths I went through to clean and prep the headers (wire wheel, acid dip, sandblasting, acetone wash). The rust you see in the first photo above is the ate-up POR-20 paint. I touched it up with some DEI silicone paint I had leftover, as a temporary measure.

When I drop the engine later this month to replace the clutch, I'll be repainting the headers with the DEI silicone paint... and throwing the leftover POR-20 in the trash. I don't want to give the POR-20 away, because I feel like I'd be doing the person a disservice.
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Is your Trueleo intake powdercoated?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, that's Dupli-Color ceramic engine paint. It's good stuff. You just have to be careful not to nick / scratch it. The intake is painted iron gray with a gloss clear-coat. And all the bracketry is painted semi-gloss black (no clear-coat).

I bought it from the local auto parts stores. But if you can't find it locally, Summit Racing sells it too.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-02-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, the Freak got a new pair of tires. Saturday before last, my right rear tire blew out on the highway. And the left rear was getting pretty worn. So I replaced both.

I'd also like to thank Frank Martin (aka Dragon) for loaning me a wheel and tire, so I wouldn't have to drive 50+ miles home on the donut spare.
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd also like to thank Frank Martin (aka Dragon) for loaning me a wheel and tire, so I wouldn't have to drive 50+ miles home on the donut spare.

Would that even be possible with a lowered fiero? My fiero is lowered as well and shoot, driving with a spare would make me nervous! Glad you didn't have to try it especially with all the body work you have done!

[This message has been edited by fierofury (edited 06-03-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've driven on the donut spare before. It isn't fun, but is do-able. I'm just glad the tire didn't fly apart when it failed. That would have REALLY sucked.

Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for taking the time to document your build, its fun to watch.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided that while I have the engine out, it would be a good time to tackle a couple other jobs. For example, upgrading to a 2.5" exhaust.

The Trueleo Y-pipe is 2.5" diameter at the bottom. They attach a reducer to the bottom, so you can use a stock-size exhaust. I'm going to cut that off and run 2.5" pipes out to the muffler. I also noticed that my Ocelot muffler has 2.25" flanges, with reducers welded on to fit the stock-size (2" diameter) pipe. So I'll cut off the reducer for the inlet pipe, and replace it with a 2.5" to 2.25" reducer to fit the new 2.5" pipe.

I'm still waiting on a few more parts, though. When those parts come in, the fun starts!

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More goodies arrived today: an oil cooler with an 8" fan.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be dropping the cradle on Friday.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blacktree

20770 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Today, I built a fan shroud for the oil cooler. There are pre-made fan mounting kits available, but they usually mount the fan right on top of the oil cooler. I don't like that arrangement, because only the area directly under the fan blades gets airflow. My homemade shroud spaces the fan about an inch away from the oil cooler, so air can be pulled through all the cooling fins. Here are a couple photos.

I also bought a thermostatic fan switch for the oil cooler fan (on at 180°F, off at 170°F), but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope it gets here by Friday!

RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your fan box looks great (do you have a brake?). I was planning on mounting mine and venting it through the side vents, so I'd like to hear your reasoning. Where are you mounting the oil cooler? Why is it you need the fan?

Bob
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Your fan box looks great (do you have a brake?). I was planning on mounting mine and venting it through the side vents, so I'd like to hear your reasoning. Where are you mounting the oil cooler? Why is it you need the fan?

Bob

Everything so far looks great, I have the same questions as RCR though. If the car is seeing regular use and sees maybe short spirited driving, whats the purpose of the oil cooler?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil cooler is probably overkill. But then again, most of the other mods aren't really necessary either. I'm sure the same could be said for many of the mods on our cars.

Anyway, the shroud is made of 1/32" aluminum. It's pretty easy to bend. I actually did the bending in a vice, using the vice jaws and a couple blocks of wood as a makeshift bending brake. Then I used a flat-face hammer to square off the edges. It may seem complicated, but was actually pretty simple and straightforward.

The plan is to tuck the oil cooler into the open space behind the passenger side quarter-panel. I will not be adding an air scoop. So there won't be much airflow through the area. That's where the fan comes in. It will draw fresh air into the oil cooler, from underneath the car. And thanks to the mods I made to the rear clip and sail panels, there is an escape path for the hot air.

I'm also thinking of using a temporary indicator lamp, so I can monitor the operation of the oil cooler fan. If it doesn't activate very often, then I may nix the fan, or the oil cooler entirely.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, where did you buy it from?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the oil cooler at a local auto parts store. It's a standard 7.5 x 12" unit, with the sandwich adapter, hose, mounting hardware, etc (CarQuest part # 77451 HTR). I bought the fan separately from Jeg's. It's on sale for $36.99 ( LINK ). And I bought the fan switch on eBay for about $10 shipped.

On a side note, I really hope this new clutch works out. I'm itching to get the Freak back on the track.
fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock