Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Silver Freak Project (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Silver Freak Project by Blacktree
Started on: 05-28-2007 01:51 PM
Replies: 580 (62697 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 09-18-2020 01:51 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to check on it.

EDIT: what a great way to start Page 7... with a trashed engine block and an un-drivable Fiero. GRRR...

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-16-2009).]

IP: Logged
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the engine, you will like the 3.4 and it gives you an upgrade path later that you dont have with the 2.8

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-17-2009).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, I ordered a 3.4 crate engine from GM Parts Direct.

Now, I have to decide whether or not I should install my ported heads and performance camshaft in it. The cautious part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". But the speed freak in me says "tweak that sucker!"

Hmm...
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2009 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK Blacktree, now I see where you're at. I think the real problem started back with your post of 3-18. That "beverage" in the picture was either the wrong type or not enough quantity.

I'm going to be following and talking to you about the crate engine approach. I'm looking for a 3.4L but am leaning towards the bone yard find with a total rebuild.

Marc

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha

Actually, I believe the real problem started when I built the 2.8 engine. I had a lot of material shaved off the block deck, to increase the compression and achieve the optimum quench height. So the metal that the cylinder head bolts screw into was weakened. And coincidentally, the crack in the block goes across one of the head bolt holes.

I've decided to install my SSI Stage 3 cam into the 3.4. Plugging the cam stats into Desktop Dyno results in better high-end performance, with very little loss in low-end performance, compared to the Crane H260 cam that comes in the 3.4 crate engine.

I still haven't decided whether or not to install my ported 2.8 heads. They have 0.010" shaved off the bottom. So if I installed them on the 3.4, the compression ratio would be increased to about 9.25:1. I'd really like to stick with 87 octane gasoline, if possible.

Anyway, GM Parts Direct sent me an email saying they shipped my engine today. So hopefully, I'll have an engine to play with in a week or so. I also have Rodney Dickman's starter relocation kit.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While waiting for the engine, I started brainstorming on "Custom Hood 2.0". In my aerodynamics experiments, I noticed that my hood vent was causing a lot of turbulence. Hopefully, a new hood vent design will reduce the turbulence. Below are a few photos of the new hood scoop design.

As you can see, I plan on using two smaller vents, instead of one large vent. I'm hoping the two smaller vents will speed up the air coming through the vents, which in turn should reduce turbulence.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 09-02-2017).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 V6 is installed and running. Here are a few photos of the engine swap.

And finally, a short video clip of the engine idling.

Neolithic Shadow

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neolithic ShadowClick Here to visit Neolithic Shadow's HomePageSend a Private Message to Neolithic ShadowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What, the madness is over? that can't be!? this is one of my favorite builds so bump!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neolithic Shadow:

What, the madness is over? that can't be!? this is one of my favorite builds so bump!

Nope the madness is far from over.

Mike still has lots of plans for his car, but only he gets to spill the beans when he is ready.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus, I've been busy working on other people's cars. Next time there's a lull, I have a little project in store for the Freak.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(removed outdated material)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-24-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2009 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyway, I'm playing with fiberglass again. This time, I've decided to replace the "erector set" spoiler stands with fiberglass ones. The adjustable stands were a nice idea that turned out to be of little use. I think I adjusted the spoiler once (at the track). I found a setting that worked well for all-around driving, and left it there. Plus, the "erector set" look doesn't do anything aesthetically for the car.

The new fiberglass stands will mount the spoiler a little bit further back, but at roughly the same angle of attack. It should look a lot like the spoiler on a drag racing car... very low and sticking straight out the back of the car.

Here are a couple photos of the spoiler stands under construction. First is the raw fiberglass parts.

And here they are trimmed and sanded. The camera angle makes one look bigger than the other. But they're the same size.

If all goes well, I should be able to test-fit them tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No love for the box ?? Are you kidding ?

That thing is pretty awesome ! Sort of a modern retro look !!

The smooth edges really look slick.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple shots of the spoiler with the new stands installed. Please excuse the dirty car.

I'll get some better photos later.

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. Are you going to do a comparison aerodynamic experiment to see how that changed the flow on the back, or are you waiting to do the front vent as well?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2009 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spoiler was only moved about 2" back, and less than 1" down. I doubt the difference in aerodynamics will be noticeable... at least, not with my low-tech testing methods. The mod was mainly for aesthetics.

My next mod will also involve aesthetics of the rear end. Hopefully, I'll be able to show you that soon.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

------------------

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

The next project will be replacement of the rear fascia. I was originally just going to shave the molding off (to match the rest of the car) and call it done. But after noticing the deterioration of the front hood/fenders, I don't feel very confident about having a rear fascia that's half fiberglass and half plastic.

On a side note, this also means that sometime in the near future, my front fenders (which are attached to the hood) will need to be replaced. The fiberglass and plastic are starting to separate.

I obtained a fiberglass rear fascia from a local club member. It's one of the ones JimmyS sells. The build quality looks pretty good. But it's made for the fastback, which has a slightly different rear profile from my notchback. So I'll need to tweak it a bit. Plus, I'll need to perform the diffuser mod on it. That should keep me busy for awhile.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-29-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

On a side note, this also means that sometime in the near future, my front fenders (which are attached to the hood) will need to be replaced. The fiberglass and plastic are starting to separate.

How are the doors holding up? I haven't glassed mine yet and I'm starting to thing I may want to come up with a backup plan.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The doors are holding up well, so far. They don't undergo as much stress, nor experience as much direct sunlight as the hood. That said, I may be making fiberglass door panels as well.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2009 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The doors are holding up well, so far. They don't undergo as much stress, nor experience as much direct sunlight as the hood. That said, I may be making fiberglass door panels as well.

Same here but with the current projects and the way things keep breaking I wont get to it for years.
I may just break down and make some flush moldings for the doors and rear quarters.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2009 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If / when I do make the fiberglass door panels, I'll of course make molds. Just FYI
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've started work on the rear fascia. In order to perform the "diffuser fascia" mod on the new fiberglass fascia, I decided to take a casting from the old one. The original mold (which was made from scrap wood and styrofoam) has deteriorated to the point of being unusable.

Below, you see a shot of the rear fascia being prepared for the casting process. I used several coats of parting wax, and a couple coats of PVA film.

24 hours later...

I was a little surprised. The casting actually started separating from the fascia on its own! Removing it was quick and easy. Here's what the raw casting looks like.

The next step will be to chop out the appropriate area of the new fascia, and use the casting to mold in the new diffuser section.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I mentioned this before, but my aftermarket wheels didn't come with centering rings. So I was relying on the wheel studs to keep the wheels centered. That wasn't working out so well. I got tired of my wheels getting knocked off-center when I hit potholes and stuff.

I asked a local club member to make some wheel centering rings for me. Here's what I got:

They're machined from aluminum. I installed them today, and they're a perfect fit. Thanks, Marc!

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made some progress on the new "diffuser fascia". The casting I mentioned earlier was used to mold the diffuser section into the fiberglass fascia. Here are some photos of that.

First of all, I marked the area to be cut out of the fascia. The red line shows where it will be cut. (the fascia is upside-down)

And here it is after cutting.

Then, I molded in the diffuser section. The photo below shows the new fiberglass fresh from the mold. It's a little rough at the seams.

After some sanding and smoothing, it looks better.

The next step in the project should be deleting the molding. That was the whole point of using the fiberglass rear fascia. I can grind off the molding and use fiberglass to fill the voids, with no worries about it falling apart.

I'm also considering a couple other tweaks, but haven't made a final decision yet.

fierofury

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its looking good man! Do you plan on taking it back to the dyno?

PM sent
bkcamaro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkcamaroClick Here to visit bkcamaro's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkcamaroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cant wait to see it when its all done

------------------
pics of all my cars are at http://www.fquick.com/bkcamaro

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also notice that I left a crease along the top edge of the trim channel, instead of rounding it off. That crease coincides with the seam between the hood and fenders. I plan to carry that crease all the way back to the rear fascia, where it will meet the seam between the decklid and fascia.

I really like this mod.
This car will be sooo sweet .
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just realized it's been 6 months since my last post. Wow, how time flies.

I haven't made any major changes or upgrades since my last post. But I've done a lot of small things. Some examples:

-- Install stainless fuel lines from the Fiero Store
-- Upgrade to 19 lb/hr fuel injectors
-- Upgrade to MSD Blaster ignition coil

Oh, and I've been driving the car a lot.

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome read, nice job and keep it going
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on your dash??
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(the custom interior project was abandoned)

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention that I installed a gear-reduction starter from a mid-90s 3.4TDC engine. I bought the highest power version I could find, to be sure that it would be powerful enough to crank my engine. For some reason, the stock Fiero starter was having trouble cranking the engine after it warmed up. In the photo below, the gear-reduction starter is on the left.

In addition to being more powerful than the stock Fiero starter, it's also 5 lb lighter. The gear-reduction starter has no trouble cranking my engine, even after it's warmed up. It also makes this cool high-speed electric motor sound.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(remove outdated material)

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Squeaky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nicley done!
What size speakers are you planning on installing in the dash?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(the custom interior project was abandoned)

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doors are way sweet!
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock