Dash build by TXGOOD
Started on: 02-21-2007 07:50 AM
Replies: 272 (36478 views)
Last post by: bcrider1 on 02-05-2011 06:25 PM
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2007 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude! That dash is looking out of this world. Congrats to you. I hope you make a mold. I think some of us might be interested inthis dash. Keep up the good work.
IP: Logged
jack_ink

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jack_inkClick Here to visit jack_ink's HomePageSend a Private Message to jack_inkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice man I like that look and the price is just right
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate the comments and I know a couple of you have expressed interest in a dash like this but to be honest this is a one of a kind sort of build. I really wouldn`t even know where to start with making a mould and if I got it made I don`t know enough about fiberglassing to fill a mould with fiberglass. I also would not feel comfortable in selling a number of these made from just cardboard as a base. The dash is taking shape and I`m pleased with it but behind the scenes it`s not pretty(in other words in my opinion it`s not professional enough to market).
I possibly would build a basic base for someone in the future but it would be pretty rough needing much work to complete. So, let me get this done and maybe next time I will have an easier way to make these.
Mike
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Ok BH2OFIERO
Here are a few pics of the console against the dash. As I said the dash is not covered yet so I just layed some vinyl up against it.

This is one of the best looking custom dashes I've seen in a long time. The only thing I would have done different is recesses the passenger side a little and put in a glovebox. But that's just me, it's going to look really nice when you are done.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2007 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jscott1
I went back and forth about a glove box after your suggestion but ease of the build with a slight curve won because I didn`t want to get into figuring out latches and hinge mounting etc. I`m already thinking about another design to add some of the things I missed this time.
Mike
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I tried to cut my vinyl out to have the Fiero letters stick up through but it just wasn`t to be so my plans changed. I`ve removed the Fiero emblem and installed a glove box. ( I should have listened to Jscott1 in the first place) Anyway I finally figured out a hinge system and I think when I get the foam and vinyl on it will look pretty good.

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want that effect, you remove foam from under where the emblem would be ,upholster the whole dash and then screw down the emblem tight. it will pinch everything down and because you removed the foam under where it would be it will have a nice form around it. I suggest you still put it on the lid of your glovebox. it will look really good. basically attaching the emblem/plaque first then finishing the upholstering to get the effect you want without pulling.

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TXGOOD

Keep it up man! it's coming along great.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might try that timgray but I`m afraid it might look kinda tacky just having it square. That`s why I was trying to just have the letters sticking up through the vinyl. I hate to not use the emblem because it wasn`t real cheap.
Mike
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got the dash partially covered this weekend. I still have to cover the instrument console hump and put the hinge on the glove box door. I think since the cover plate for the radio and instruments will be red I`m going to paint the defroster vent grille red also.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have speaker grilles? Or are they going to be left exposed?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks F-I-E-R-O
whadeduck, that`s the way the speakers came. I know sitting upright like that they will be exposed to dust and sunlight but they weren`t real expensive.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the great work. Your dash design is AWESOME!

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 9th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2005

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep the pics coming! The dash is looking great.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys for the comments
I was thinking of going with red carbon fiber for the instrument panel and radio/climate control panel but now I`m not sure. I guess I could also either go with red plastic or sheet metal painted red. Any suggestions?
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY impressive !
BH2OFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BH2OFieroClick Here to visit BH2OFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to BH2OFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...I must say I am very impressed. Looks great.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am finding out that in upholstery work if you think you are cutting vinyl a little long go ahead and cut it a little longer because there are a few places where I almost ran out of material and had to stretch it a bit more. I have also found out that contact adhesive works well but on edges I like to use hot glue because that stuff will really hold. Of course, being my first real vinyl dash work only time will tell about durability when I get this dash mouted in my car and it sits in 100 degree weather.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I got the dash partially covered this weekend. I still have to cover the instrument console hump and put the hinge on the glove box door. I think since the cover plate for the radio and instruments will be red I`m going to paint the defroster vent grille red also.

Oh my! I have been away from this thread for a while and you have made great progress. I'm really pleased you went ahead and did the glove box it really looks nice now...

legendkiller76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for legendkiller76Send a Private Message to legendkiller76Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man that is beautiful!
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks jscott1 and legend
I was going to use the piece from the dash when I cut it out for the glove box but it wouldn`t retain it`s shape so I ended up making the door from a piece of wood that I shaped and sanded
to the right curve on top. I had a heck of a time getting the hinge on which is an acrylic aquarium hinge. I got the instrument hump covered last night and I`m just waiting on my seat covers to get here so I can make sure the red that is on them matches the red I got for he accents on the dash.
Mike

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 03-27-2007).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's excellent, Mike. Nice job.

Bob
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost ready for a face plate. I also have to fill in a few imperfections if I can find some liquid vinyl or something similar.

Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Impressive. Good job, man.

------------------

My Build Thread

BH2OFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BH2OFieroClick Here to visit BH2OFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to BH2OFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW...An ametuer working like a pro...AWESOME. You just got a + from me.

-Caleb
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.
DarrenHB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrenHBClick Here to visit DarrenHB's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrenHBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mentioned something about a dash panel cover. If you are still using the stock gauges I can make you up a black carbon speedo/tach panel cover. Since it goes in with the standard fasteners you can remove it if you don't like it.

Think of it as a permanent test of my stuff. PM me and I'll get one of the first off the production run for you, no catches. That design and work is extremely good. I really like the idea of the wood structure, it will probably outlast anything else.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer but I`m going to have to make one to fit the opening because while it does fit the stock gauges the housing is arched more on top and is narrower than the stock housing.
I am also going to use red carbon fiber although it seems pretty hard to come by.
Mike
tictacpontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tictacpontiacSend a Private Message to tictacpontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot looking dash man, i am curios about the end result.

Maybe you can give masterclasses in dash building Ha ha
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Almost ready for a face plate. I also have to fill in a few imperfections if I can find some liquid vinyl or something similar.

That is the best custom dash I have ever seen.

Do you do upholstery for a living? That looks really nice. Are you interested in covering some door panels for me?
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Jonathan
No I`m not an upholsterer by trade. This dash just happens to be pretty easy to cover.
Years ago I covered some seats from a Fiat Spyder and I have done a couple of boat seats.
I don`t really have the capabilities to sew upholstery which is pretty much required on some
panels and such that have inside curves, etc. I will take a look at your panels if you have a build
thread with pics of them.
Mike
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, dash looks great. Bookmarked it so I can check in a few times a day while I stall off work haha.

Very simple and yet I have a feeling it won't look it when it is installed, gonna look real stylish and exotic.
reapermedic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reapermedicSend a Private Message to reapermedicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This looks absolutely amazing!! I have to keep watching this.

------------------

Fireball Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fireball FieroSend a Private Message to Fireball FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have graduated from amatuer now at this point I think. Really nice work you have going. I was just about to ask about glassing tips, thanks for sharing.I have never tried glass work but just finished stripping a one to a bare running frame and was thinking about experimenting with some body pieces.

Got a source for cheap supplies in austin?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fireball, the only body part I have worked on is the decklid and it is SMC which is a form of fiberglass. I used special fiberglass resin made for SMC which I got from Oreilley. For this dash I used regular Bondo brand fiberglass resin and cloth from Walmart. I know for bonding something to the fenders etc, you have to use something compatible with those and the material they are made of escapes me right now. If you do a search for Fiero body panels there is a site that lists what the panels are made of. If you do work on the hood or decklid I can recommend Evercoat 400 Glazing Putty for the final skim coat because it really goes on smooth and sands good. I got it at Akzo-Noble? I believe it`s called in Round Rock.
Mike
atleastitruns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atleastitrunsSend a Private Message to atleastitrunsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous interior

Fireball Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fireball FieroSend a Private Message to Fireball FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mike, I'll check around on that. I had a couple of offers from my 'mobile boat mechanic' to do fiberglass work on my project car. He says, with quite a hefty regional flare "glass is glass man, the car don't know the difference". But thats what he said about putting some non-marine parts on the boat and it knew the difference lol.

Anyway it's good to know glass may not always just be glass, I'll do some reasearch before comitting to any projects. I'd be positively giddy if I got something even half as good looking as yours.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I cannot believe I just found this thread!! WOW... What an awesome build man, truely!! You sir, get a + from me for your creativity!!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One word...

Damn.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay