Thanx for checking in. The garage is in a deep freeze right now. Probably won't be til spring when I can work on the doors again. Bob
I forgot it's winter right now... I've been watching this thread since the beginning, keep up the good work. My goal is to get my dash re-done in time to go to the beach this weekend, it's supposed to be in the 80s. Edit...I own page 4...whooo hooo!
[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-08-2007).]
Originally posted by jscott1: I forgot it's winter right now... I've been watching this thread since the beginning, keep up the good work. My goal is to get my dash re-done in time to go to the beach this weekend, it's supposed to be in the 80s.
...oh, go away...
...at least it is getting warmer around here - but then that only means the car will have that 'new' dirty road paint color for the next few weeks.
I've proven to myself I can sew (maybe) and I've ordered the material (last nite). So with a little elbow grease and some luck, I hope to have the driver's seat kicked out in a couple weeks.
We had a warm spell the other day so I got to sit in the car and ponder...I decided I didn't like the center console I was building...Too tall...So I chucked it out. I cut a new piece of foam that fits snuggly to the dash and sub woofer. It should also lower the shift bezel down to the bottom edge of the HVAC controls. I'll have to modify the bezel to get it low enough, but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Been too long for an update. The cold weather has driven me indoors, and I've got the itch to get back at it, so today I dusted off the sewing machine and moved the cat off it's favorite perch. I sewed the front insert to the side bolsters, added the original back piece, and sewed the top together. It needs a little finishing work, but for all intents and purposes, the top is done.
Bob, I've been working in near freezing temps getting my new nose ready for tooling. You get used to the cold but the fingers get numb. So you have a spider theme for your car?
Ahh...No! Just a bad coincidence.
I herar you about the cold, but it's been sub freezing, and that's just too cold for me. Plus I was burnt. I needed time away. But, now I'm getting back at it. I still want to make the 25'th show with a running car.
where did you find the dual guage panel wrapped around the steering column ? that is cool !
87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6 Bully Stage 2 clutch Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection 50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box S10 caliper conversion. Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure. Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
UPDATE!!! I tried to get a lot done to make the 25'th, but it didn't happen. So, the next best thing...
My original intent on the doors was to have a two piece design, where the upolstered center section was seperate from the rest. As seen here:
After many months of letting this brew in the back of my head, I came to the conclusion that this was a stupid idea, so I glassed the center back in. Then I made a template out of cardboard for the center piece.:
I used the template to cutout a backer board made from the back of a poster frame. It is about 1/16" thick press-board. I attached it the the door panel using 7 X-mas tree fasteners spread over the panel. I covered the outside of the panel (and the tops of the X-mas tree fasteners) with 1/4" medium density foam. I used Permatex Headliner and carpet adhesive for the job. Worked really well:
I used the red tweed that I'm using on the seats to cover the center. everything was glued into place, and I stretched the material over the edges, then glued and stapled it into place. i trimmed the excess material to flatten it out.
The door pull/armrest was mounted from behid using large screws. The speaker cover/pouch was placed into position to ensure a proper fit.
I mounted the speaker cover/pouch by driving screws up from behind around the speaker, and screws inside the pouch area into the ring. An area of concern was how to hold the back into place, flush with the ring. I solved the problem by using the Fiero tabs from the original door panels. I notched the plastic so the covers would snap on, then used it to cover a screw that would hold the pouch down.
I then painted all of the accessories black. And with a couple little issues, got everything mounted.
I misplaced the light, so I'll have to find and mount that later.
Next on the menu will be re-wiring the instrument cluster to work with the new engine, and the center console, in no particular order.
[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-02-2008).]
The spring and summer saw me do a lot of work on the engine, so much so that I was burnt out by the fall. I finished the one door panel, and started some "special" speaker pods, which I have not unveiled, yet. I've also torn out the front suspension to refurbish and upgrade, so that's on the radar, too.
I'm passively trying to locate a temporary drivers seat to put in until the upholstery is done. no real hurry, though.