instrument cluster issues by Gogoman
Started on: 05-25-2024 09:56 PM
Replies: 6 (108 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-27-2024 07:27 AM
Gogoman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2024 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Story- I have a 1987 GT, 2.8 5 speed. I was changing the cluster lights for some LED since some of my original lights weren’t working. In the process I’ve noticed my PCB was corroded so I try to fix it with no hope. With the “fix” PCB my trunk release button stop working and would only illuminate the brake light ones triggered. Also my seatbelt light would stay on only for some seconds then turn off, the light also seam weak even with the new LED. With that I ordered a new one from deloreangarage and ones everything was put together, lights didn’t work. My trunk release button won’t release, my ajar light only come one when the ignition is turn, my headlight indicator light doesn’t work. The seatbelt is still doing its thing.

Looking for some evidence on the matter. I’m leaning with bad fuses or bad grounds if so where should i start. I’ll answer any questions about the matter and the vehicle.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seat belt light will turn on every time you turn the key to start then turn off. If you don't have seat belt on will chime too or have cut/mod the seat belt etc to stop that.

See https://web.archive.org/web...~fierocave/chime.htm

Good luck jumping on LED hype train claiming LED solves everything...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Seat belt light will turn on every time you turn the key to start then turn off. If you don't have seat belt on will chime too or have cut/mod the seat belt etc to stop that.

I had change the light that aren’t working back to halogen to see if the issue was resolved and it did not. With halogen or LED. I’ve read the cave form you gave me it seems I’ll run some test with a multimeter I’ll be check/replacing my fuses since they are 37 years old.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
194 bulbs are Not Halogen. Even when replace w/ Long Life bulbs. Unless Maybe someone found halogen 194 or just put hotter bulb in same format.

when have "Dim bulbs" or other dash problems...
see
cave https://web.archive.org/web...fierocave/dimmer.htm
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138175.html Instrument panel bulb layout
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146784.html Fuel, Engine Temp or Oil Pressure gauges have problems?

Example: can have a brand new bulb but have crap sockets &/or "crush" dash back where socket "arms" hit won't connect the bulb to the back of dash.
If the back is "crushed" just moving a socket even tiny bit can make it work.
or socket "arms" are cracked/broken & won't touch the dash back.
or socket "guts" are bad can't reach the bulb wires.

Can get 10 pack of 194 as need 6 to replace just dash illumination bulbs.
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2024 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thansk for the information. I just when to check my dash light and I’ll say I’m not a big fan of the LED. I’ll probably be getting some red tip bulbs for the dash. I also did some digging and found some good info on the electrical network of the car. It was a lot of information all at ones but I should be able to figure out wast wrong with my lights and dash. Like I say I’ll probably be replacing the fuses since they are pretty old and get new light sockets for the dash. Also maybe you know anything about the shifter light. I driven the vehicle before but not really fast and only around the neighborhood. Oh well if it doesn’t work then so be it. At least all my gauges work( the important things)

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gogoman:

Also maybe you know anything about the shifter light. I driven the vehicle before but not really fast and only around the neighborhood. Oh well if it doesn’t work then so be it.

The Shift light is nothing but a nuisance and a distraction. And it's got nothing to do with going "fast". It's an indicator for driving as economically as possible.

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

Those who've never seen a Shift light get excited at the prospect of having one. Those who've had one learn to remove the bulb.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-27-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2024 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
The Shift light is nothing but a nuisance and a distraction. And it's got nothing to do with going "fast". It's an indicator for driving as economically as possible.
That + helps drivers not to shift @ "red line."

Reminds some w/ auto & stick cars you driving the stick that needs you to shift.

When comes On, sometimes it seems random & short trips in town may never turn On.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock