Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  External filter / relocation for Iron Duke?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
External filter / relocation for Iron Duke? by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 04-04-2024 02:25 PM
Replies: 15 (154 views)
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 04-14-2024 04:32 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, with my daughter almost done re-assmebling her 1985 Iron Duke... it occurred to me that the oil filter literally comes off the block at an angle... to the point that when you remove it, you are ... most definitely ... going to get oil pouring down the side of the engine block, onto the oil pan, and God knows where else. Is there an external oil filter kit that possibly even just puts it at a 90 degree angle? I seem to recall it sticks out behind and below the alternator... but I don't really see anything that would get in it's way.

I'm not a fan of pressurized oil lines... but if there was something that screwed on and enabled a 90 degree angle so the oil filter came right off the block, that would be great!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

...when you remove it, you are ... most definitely ... going to get oil pouring down the side of the engine block, onto the oil pan, and God knows where else.

Not if you puncture a drainage hole in it first. Seriously!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is that what you do every time you change the oil? It never occurred to me. I'm also wondering if my V6 is also like this... I'm thinking it might be. Seems like a weird design. Even the small block Chevy had a vertical oil filter attachment.

Hmm...
shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you research "PONTIAC Oil Filter Relocation Kits" on Amazon / Summit / etc.?

Also look on PFF:

Oil filter relocation kit by My84
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...130314-2-121115.html

Oil Filter change on 87 4 Cyl. by Dodgerunner
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...110502-2-107866.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of these kits to flush a 3.8 that had been sitting for several years. Not bad overall but I would be weary of the thread sealant of your choice and long term use. As far as poking a hole in the filter that's not a bad option, I had a dedicated funnel setup that I used to use long ago.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm also wondering if my V6 is also like this... I'm thinking it might be.

It is.

Is that what you do every time you change the oil? It never occurred to me.

To be honest, no... but that doesn't mean it isn't a viable option. I read years ago (probably here) that this is how someone dealt with the tilted oil filter issue. I find if I'm real careful when unscrewing the oil filter(s) that oil spillage is minimal. However, if I was to use the "puncture" method, I'd do it in such a manner that I'm not applying any force to the side of the filter when making the hole, just to ensure that no there's no shear force acting on the mount to the block. I'd try to puncture a hole more on the end of the filter. Probably makes very little difference.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-04-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remote filters have own issues/problems.

Oil Change Interval is 1 or 2 per year even "back them" for most owners.

In Dukes, Some Oil runs down the mount thru small drain. You can't stop that only control the mess.

Easiest way, Stuff a rag between block & bracket stops most to all that.
push in tight to "seal" but not so tight rag can't absorb oil.

see https://web.archive.org/web...~fierocave/mount.htm

V6 Some Oil runs down the filter. After you "break it" the filter just use a rag around the filter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just use a gallon ziplock freezer bag around the filter when removing it. That will collect 95% of the oil in the bag and not make a mess.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. Honestly, I'm torn.

- On one hand, I'd really like to relocate it to somewhere more reasonable where it doesn't make a huge mess.

- On the other hand, I'm deathly afraid of oil being pressurized in a rubber line, which means the life or death of an engine.

... all other things considered, the engine itself contains the oil pretty well... and there's generally no risk of oil shooting out from some obscure area at high pressure, like it might in an external oil kit, in which case... there would be catastrophic failure. I'm going to think about it. I'll wait until my daughter changes her oil for the first time anyway...

Thanks!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duke & V6 filters traps most oil inside IF you're careful after first drop as I said above.

PF47 PF52 etc have anti drain valve keep oil in outer section.
IF careful when spinning off the threads slowly so can tip the filter at end of threads so filter threads at top keeps "core" oil in too.

Biggest problem is morons install wrong & way too tight then can't remove later to replace it.
2. Use a good wrench. Cheap ones slip for many reasons depending on what type.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-06-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

so just rip a small hole in the bottom with pliers?or use a drill?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:
"Originally posted by Patrick: Not if you puncture a drainage hole in it first. Seriously!"
so just rip a small hole in the bottom with pliers?or use a drill?
Don't do this.

Punch holes Does Not solve the first drop because that oil is between filter & engine & anti drain keeps oil there.

Any hole big enough to drain, more so on sides, can become tearing point when have problems getting lose.

Many times you only have 1 hand to get filter on/off of Dukes because low access.
Yet I & many others rarely have oil "on the floor" because of careful work.

If you real want to help... Put a small drain hole shown in motor mount in cave, then another in lowest point on bracket to cradle. Lets oil, polluted water & more out of the mount so doesn't "rot" or dripping oil for days if you spill oil or leaking oil like bad crank seal.

The Duke w/ AT & maybe others... engine mount has a "well" on top, drill the hole @ lowest far away from "guard" rivet. "Guard" rivet does nothing unless the rubber is F'ed.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or just jack up the car on the other side until the filters vertical

shem
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a relocation kit on my Duke/SD4. Its similar to what the guy posted above from Summit.
It works fine. I have no complaints. I still manage to spill some oil, when I take off the filter, but at least it doesn't run all over the motor mount and help to deteriorate it.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not worth the effort, anytime you introduce another connection, there's a chance of another potential leak, a 3 dollar can of brake clean when you change the oil does wonders.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock