Started on: 04-09-2010 11:26 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Fiero Finale on 04-09-2010 11:44 PM
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Ok, having got my first 4 cyl Fiero. (only had v6's) took a bit to find where the filter was located.
OMG! I noticed the bottom of the engine was all covered with oil (from prev owner(s) ).

After seeing where the filter is located I can see why. Is there any way to remove a filter without getting oil all over the auto transmission, axle, engine?

Got a lot of cleaning to do on this engine.

Anyone done a remote filter on the 4?

I thought the v6's where a little of a pain but would take that any day from what this 4 looks like.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think you're always going to spill some oil when removing the filter on a Duke. I have a manual so it's not as bad to clean up. Maybe if you punctured the lower end of the filter and let it drain out into a container before you unscrewed it? Usually I like to do it when the car is cold, put a rag under the filter and then spray the block with some Brake Clean
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the filter on the outside or in the pan like the 88
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Anyone done a remote filter on the 4?

Did a remote setup on my Indy when I installed the 4T60 4-speed automatic.
(I removed it when I switched the car over to a Getrag 5-speed manual)

I ran the lines out and mounted the filter in the wheelwell.
The filter could be removed with a long extension without having to pull the wheelwell.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15153 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Do you have the filter on the outside or in the pan like the 88

He said it was an 87, so the filter would be on the block below the alternator.

LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

He said it was an 87, so the filter would be on the block below the alternator.

I wasn't sure if 87 had the same filter setup as the 88 or not.
Thanks for clarifying for me.

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 04-09-2010).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Yes the 87 is not like the 88. Almost wish it was.

Yes fierosound that is what is really needed to prevent the mess. Where did you get the remote kit. I have not looked for on for that size filter. Are they fairly common?

I bought the car to use as a test bed to setup a 4T60 to put in my 88GT. Also wanted to see what a 4T60 would do to a 4 for mileage..

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-09-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I have all the parts in a box. I'll see if I can find any part numbers on them.

---

When I got the car, the adaptor was already on the engine, but the remote filter mount was missing.
I got this locally http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1045/

Complete kit http://www.summitracing.com...n/?query=Liter%7c2.5

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2010).]

Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
On the duke (not to hijack thread but similar topic) what is the recommended amt of oil? I was surprised to learn it was only 3 qts according to Autozone.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

On the duke (not to hijack thread but similar topic) what is the recommended amt of oil? I was surprised to learn it was only 3 qts according to Autozone.

4-4.5 qts... depending on the filter capacity.... I remember using about 4.5 qts. Autozone is wrong, and that is based on the early '84 engines.... which were recalled to add more capacity.

J.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
On my '87 Duke, I used the longer oil filter (Purolator part # L24011). I would drain the pan first, then pull the filter. I found that if I quickly unscrewed the filter and turned it vertical, it reduced spillage.

But regardless, you will spill some.

I got in the habit of buying a can of engine degreaser for each oil change. After the oil change was completed, I'd wipe off what oil I could reach with a rag, and hose down the bottom of the engine, cradle, etc with the degreaser.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-09-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

On the duke (not to hijack thread but similar topic)

There's other threads on THAT topic http://www.fierosearch.com/...city&Action=DoSearch
Dammit SEARCH is handy.... and you are not a newbie (should know better).

You should also have manuals with this info by now. http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/news.php

Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

There's other threads on THAT topic http://www.fierosearch.com/...city&Action=DoSearch
Dammit SEARCH is handy.... and you are not a newbie (should know better).

You should also have manuals with this info by now. http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/news.php

I guess I didn't use the right search words like capacity lol when I tried to search for it, thanks man. Also I just started getting on here the past few months so I didn't know about those manuals, thanks again for that!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

... Also I just started getting on here the past few months so I didn't know about those manuals, thanks again for that!

...looks like you registered in Sept 2004 with 2696 posts to date. Not exactly a newbie. Been gone a while or something?

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I replace the fuel pump and put the tank in.
Poured in 5 gal. of gas and tried to crank it over. Some pulley is froze on the engine and it squealed like a stick pig.
Can't turn over fast enough to fire.
Now I have to figure out how the tensioner works so I can get the belt off. Back to the manual..
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The A/C compressor probably seized up. As a temporary fix, you can get a shorter belt to bypass it.

Removing the serpentine belt is so easy, a caveman can do it. Put a breaker bar with a 15mm socket on the tensioner pulley bolt, and push toward the front of the car until the belt is loose enough for you to slip it off the water pump pulley. Just make sure not to slip and punch out the rear window.

edit to add: The Ogre's Cave has a good article on the 4cyl serpentine belt. (in the menu, navigate through powertrain > engine > general > serpent belt). The info in the Haynes and Chilton's manuals is pretty sketchy. And the Haynes manual actually tells you to turn the 4cyl tensioner the wrong direction.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-09-2010).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
blacktree, Yes I had looked in the cave and read how it comes off. Pulled the belt and you nailed it the AC was froze.
(I'd give you a + but already have. )
Tried it with the belt off and it fired right up on the first crank.
Going to pick up a shorter belt tomorrow and be good to go.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-09-2010).]

Fiero Finale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

...looks like you registered in Sept 2004 with 2696 posts to date. Not exactly a newbie. Been gone a while or something?

Yep, until I got my latest Fiero (#4! lol) back on January 5th of this year I really didn't actively frequent the forums for a couple years it seems (I posted a few times, but that was it). So *shrug* I guess i'm a newb haha.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock