Supernatural 3.7L 9,000RPM Project by La fiera
Started on: 04-27-2021 09:19 PM
Replies: 20 (296 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 05-14-2021 04:49 PM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I start I want to go through the a check list;

Supernatural 3.4L 250WHP. CHECK

Supernatural 3.4L 300WHP. CHECK

Supernatural 3.7L 350WHP. RUNNING

Supernatural 3.7 9,000RPM. DEVELOPMENT STAGES/LOOK BELOW

Let start shall we!

2.8L piston weight

3.7L 9,000RPM piston weight

2.8L piston pin weight

3.7L 9,000RPM piston pin weight

Supernatural 3.4L piston/rod combo weight

3.7L 9,000RPM piston/rod combo weight

2.8L VS 3.7L 9,000RPM piston comparison

3.7L 9,000RPM rod VS Current Supernatural 3.7L rod
Even though the displacement is equally the same the difference in rod size makes for a completelly different application.
So that means a completelly different cam and intake combo are required.
I'd like to see a vendor offering different cams for two different geometries with the same displacement! They don't have the R&D on the matter.

Enjoy the journey!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Supernatural 3.7 9,000RPM

Let start shall we!

Step 1 - installation of 1" steel plate behind driver's seat.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Step 1 - installation of 1" steel plate behind driver's seat.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah, 1/4" of AR500 steel should be fine.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Nah, 1/4" of AR500 steel should be fine.

I might need the thickest plate behind the brake pedal!!
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

1777 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Heads are at the machine shop and the intake drawings at the fabricator.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about getting/renting a setup to test engines by themselves out of the car?

Might give more consistent results, removing the variables from the car, and also you don't have to be right next to the engine if it blows up.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Have you thought about getting/renting a setup to test engines by themselves out of the car?

Might give more consistent results, removing the variables from the car, and also you don't have to be right next to the engine if it blows up.

Kind of. I'm looking to build an engine break-in chassis for the 60*V6. I don't have patrons or sponsors so if someone wants a specific test to verivy BHP I'll be more than happy to do that for them if they can pay for it plus my R&D time.
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroClick Here to Email OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was going to school for engineering one of my class mates made an engine stand from some square tubing he had laying around. and brought it in for one of our teachers who needed one for a project car. they don't seem that complicated to make if you have decent welding skills as t hey are very basic. the real cost comes from the gauges and the battery needed to make it all work.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OH10fiero:

When I was going to school for engineering one of my class mates made an engine stand from some square tubing he had laying around. and brought it in for one of our teachers who needed one for a project car. they don't seem that complicated to make if you have decent welding skills as t hey are very basic. the real cost comes from the gauges and the battery needed to make it all work.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How can you get proper sealing and lubrication with only two piston rings?
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I might need the thickest plate behind the brake pedal!!

hehe

I think one of these days, I'd like to give the "supernatural" treatment to an LS series V8. One of those engines tuned for 8000+ RPM should be fun.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

How can you get proper sealing and lubrication with only two piston rings?

I never knew they existed... until today. I found some discussion on two ring pistons Here.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you dig up a pair of Potter heads? The spring loads required to run at that RPM stand a real chance of popping a rocker boss off production castings.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

13747 posts
Member since Jun 2000

I never knew they existed... until today. I found some discussion on two ring pistons Here.

Note: "Must run a vacuum pump or dry sump"
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskClick Here to Email RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Which would almost be a given if you're spinning that fast. Windage control definitely starts to become a factor.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm ahead of you Will, I have my version of the vacuum pump already installed. It's been installed since 2 years ago.

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you dig up a pair of Potter heads? The spring loads required to run at that RPM stand a real chance of popping a rocker boss off production castings.

I'll get to that later in the build but yes, I already have that problem addressed; with the iron heads.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's pretty clever ... vacuum pump keeps everything below the pistons at low pressure. I'll have to read up on this some more.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll get to that later in the build but yes, I already have that problem addressed; with the iron heads.

Carbon fibre pushrods and rockers?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carbon fibre pushrods and rockers?

I've seen tests that suggest CF and other composite pushrods really aren't good, as they flex way too much, coupled with the leverage of the rocker arm on the pushrod, removing weight there isn't really worth much compared to a lighter spring/retainer/lock and valve.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock