Is the 7730 ECM swap CARB legal? by MordacP
Started on: 01-25-2011 09:14 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: phonedawgz on 01-27-2011 03:31 PM
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
lately, I have been liking the idea of swapping a 3.4 and using a 7730 ECM to look after it. Among my reason for wanting a 3.4 is that the typical smog tech wont be able to tell its a swap, which is important in the DPRC. But I'm worried that the 7730 ECM will cause a problem. During the smog test, they scan the computer to see if you've reset it to cover up an error code, if i have a different computer they will find out. Does anyone know if they care about what ECM the car has?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
i asked a smog tech a few months ago (i live in cali) about my ecm swap and he said that all he checks for is that there are codes.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Do they even bother checking the computer on OBD I cars? The 7730 ECM uses a digital EGR valve, so if the guy knows Fieros it might fail the visual inspection, but the 7730 ECM should result in lower emissions than the older equipment.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I would hope it is an acceptable mod
it only helps emmisions - if done properly
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I would hope it is an acceptable mod
it only helps emmisions - if done properly

Well there you go making sense again. I dont know what kind of emissions law they have in Michigan where you are, but it really doesnt matter if whatever you've done results in fewer emissions in CA. If it isnt factory, it wont pass. Why cant I take the motor from one car and stick it into another? Why was it okay for this motor to be in this car, but not okay for it to be in the other car?

thanx cypherbane, thats reassuring. The trouble is that some smog techs are strict and some aren't. It makes sense that all he checks for is codes, but then again, it doesnt matter what common sense says.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosDirect Link to This Post
I don't know the legal answer either, but I have a feeling it's no. I think anything which they consider part of the emissions system (and the ECM probably qualifies) has to be CARB approved on your vehicle to be a legal modification. I doubt their approval of that ECM on later cars would apply to yours, with earlier sensors, different model of vehicle, etc.
But maybe just ask some local smog guys about it. If 1 or 2 of them give the answer you're hoping for, you'll know where to get tested. It might not be something anybody checks for or cares about, regardless of the technical legalities of it.
You don't even have to tell them it has anything to do with an engine swap, people upgrade the ECM on the original engine sometimes.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Something else to consider. If they are going to hook up to it with a scan tool to check codes, they won't be able to communicate with the 7730 ECM if they configure their scanner to connect to a Fiero. So this might automatically raise a flag.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
I know there is a guy on here with a California smog certified engine swap. idk what it took to get it but I take it that it was complicated to get.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock