Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  1988 LFX Build Lessons Learned/How to (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 LFX Build Lessons Learned/How to by RandomTask
Started on: 04-17-2021 08:03 PM
Replies: 95 (3209 views)
Last post by: fredtoast on 08-30-2023 08:12 AM
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video for those interested.

https://youtu.be/DtyswGVJ-wk
IP: Logged
MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting an LFX into an 88 project. Bought a wrecked 2018 Impala and have been ripping it apart. Going ot use the 6T70 automatic since I'm tired of shifting and the Impala does provide a manual shift up/down feature.

One thing I found is that the fuel pump has an external controller mounted in the trunk. In the outlet pipe at the fuel tank is a pressure sensor so the pressure is closed loop regulated. There are two lines from the fuel tank area to the engine. One is the fuel to the high pressure pump and the other (I think) is the purge line from the charcoal cannister, which is mounted on the side of the tank.

Since I've got the fuel pump I may try to adapt it to the Fiero tank, But the opening is really big and it may not fit properly. I've also heard of using a corvette fuel filter that has an internal pressure regulator. That would be much simpler but I'm not sure how the fuel sender works. Is it a canbus item? Analog? One more thing to mess with.

Your idea of using a Camaro AirCon compressor sounds good but does this require the original Fiero ECU to be retained?

For instruments I'm fitting the Impala gauge panel into the Fiero Housing. Hooking up a Canbus is much easier than figuring how to make the tach and VSS work. Turns out the 6T70 has both of these sensors internally but they are digitized. Good for me with the auto but unless someone makes a CanBus set of instruments it's a pain.

If you could I'd appreciate more photos of your motor mounting? I'm about to start that in a week or two and any advice would be welcomed.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why can't anything be simple...

Figured I'd replace my driver side dew wipe while I wait for parts/axles. Sure as hell, all but one of the phillips rounded out. I dont know what they are made of but they were killing my Ti drill bits trying to get them out. So, onky way left was to take off the door skin and get behind them with some needle nose vice grips. I win.

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RandomTask

4539 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some definition of "win"?

Now you have to POR-15 all the door metal.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 05-10-2021).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

For some definition of "win"?

Now you have to POR-15 all the door metal.

Haha, if I get what I originally wanted by ripping crap apart, I count that as a win

I *would* POR-15 the door at this point however, body work is the next step. Trying to get the car mechanically where I want it first. This includes buying/installing some fiero guru coilovers, eventually getting the spare front suspension I dropped off for powder coat over a year ago to a buddy and installing that (With my rebuilt rack), installing the ECU bracket and finish running the last 2-3 wires so it's in a drivable state, and wilwoods all around.

THEN I want to install a bunch of aero panels (while keeping it a notchback). I've been on the hunt for someone parting out a GT so I can snag the body panels off of it but either I've been out of the game too long or people want high prices. I remember selling entire GT's for a couple hundred bucks. When I rip off all the panels to get painted, then I'll POR-15 the entire frame.

Ordered some SS brake lines from fiero store as well; those should get here thursday (along with the ECU bracket). Also ordered some gauges (AEM oil pressure and fuel pressure) to install in the cluster. Once I install all these, AND the axles, it will make it easier to figure out why the car starts running like doo-doo once it goes into closed loop.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RandomTask

4539 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by MikesFirstFiero:

I'm starting an LFX into an 88 project. Bought a wrecked 2018 Impala and have been ripping it apart. Going ot use the 6T70 automatic since I'm tired of shifting and the Impala does provide a manual shift up/down feature.

One thing I found is that the fuel pump has an external controller mounted in the trunk. In the outlet pipe at the fuel tank is a pressure sensor so the pressure is closed loop regulated. There are two lines from the fuel tank area to the engine. One is the fuel to the high pressure pump and the other (I think) is the purge line from the charcoal cannister, which is mounted on the side of the tank.

Since I've got the fuel pump I may try to adapt it to the Fiero tank, But the opening is really big and it may not fit properly. I've also heard of using a corvette fuel filter that has an internal pressure regulator. That would be much simpler but I'm not sure how the fuel sender works. Is it a canbus item? Analog? One more thing to mess with.

Your idea of using a Camaro AirCon compressor sounds good but does this require the original Fiero ECU to be retained?

For instruments I'm fitting the Impala gauge panel into the Fiero Housing. Hooking up a Canbus is much easier than figuring how to make the tach and VSS work. Turns out the 6T70 has both of these sensors internally but they are digitized. Good for me with the auto but unless someone makes a CanBus set of instruments it's a pain.

If you could I'd appreciate more photos of your motor mounting? I'm about to start that in a week or two and any advice would be welcomed.

Running the auto may make things easier from a harness perspective. That stated, you'll more than likely need custom axles. There are TONS of gauge panels that can read off canbus. In fact, right now I have a $30 blue tooth reader that hooks up to the diagnostic port (and goes to my phone/ipad) that I can see tons of information off of.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good!

I'd love to hear one of these engines with some lumpy cams (i.e. idle chop).
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Sounds good!

I'd love to hear one of these engines with some lumpy cams (i.e. idle chop).

The LFX engine family already provides 300-325 HP in a much lighter package, more than most of the other V6 swap choices and the LS4. It can probably make more horsepower but stock should provide really good performance.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The LFX engine family already provides 300-325 HP in a much lighter package, more than most of the other V6 swap choices and the LS4. It can probably make more horsepower but stock should provide really good performance.

Yup. Already have a cart built from MACE engineering. Once I get all the electrical/mechanical issues figured out and body finished, everything is coming back out and installing a built LFX (Forged internals, cams,) and under boost.
MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What software are you using in your iPhone?
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Yup. Already have a cart built from MACE engineering. Once I get all the electrical/mechanical issues figured out and body finished, everything is coming back out and installing a built LFX (Forged internals, cams,) and under boost.

Cart? Like a shifter kart?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you test fit the Impala transmission in the cradle? When I tried it, I found that the physical size of the transmission was interfering with the cradle and would require cradle modifications I did not want. I found a low miles Saab F40 manual transmission that was a much better fit and was lighter too.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ I would love to see someone execute an auto version of the swap though. Would be a fantastic daily.

That said, Drive shaft shop missed another deadline. Said two weeks ago that the inners were being machined and should be finished soon. Called yesterday and the inners are suddenly -about - to be machined. Going on 4 months with this clown show operation.

So called up a company I actually like dealing witb (fiero store) and bought some new SS hard lines and hoses. Back half installed. Front half goes in when I drop the front suspension to put in the powder coated one and redo the bushings.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

^^ I would love to see someone execute an auto version of the swap though. Would be a fantastic daily.

That said, Drive shaft shop missed another deadline. Said two weeks ago that the inners were being machined and should be finished soon. Called yesterday and the inners are suddenly -about - to be machined. Going on 4 months with this clown show operation.

So called up a company I actually like dealing witb (fiero store) and bought some new SS hard lines and hoses. Back half installed. Front half goes in when I drop the front suspension to put in the powder coated one and redo the bushings.

Absolutely! I didn't mean to come across like a negative Nelly, but these kinds of things always seem easier in you're head. Better to know the issues going in.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2021 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Drive Shaft Shop in Salisbury NC is an absolute clown show of an operation. I spoke with them in Dec about some custom axles for my setup. They said they were actually working that project internally and would have something available in 4-5 weeks.
Contacted them 5 weeks later and they said they had to work on some other stuff. I asked if I sent them my inners and outers and provided lengths req'd, how long it would be; they stated 4-5 weeks.
I did just that. They rec'd my parts on Feb 9. It is now May 18th and they still aren't done. I keep getting excuses, and bullshit reasoning for delays. Things have gone from "They are getting machined as we speak." to two weeks later "[same part] is -ABOUT- to get machined." Communication is poor. Guy in charge of my order keeps ducking my calls, hiding behind his assistant. (BTW, I only call once a week to two weeks to get a status update). Started talking to other people with some high HP builds and they all had the same experience.
Only reason I went w/ DSS is they stated they would build me a complete axle with the specs I wanted. I figured a 2 week penalty (most companies can build the shafts in 2-3 weeks) and a couple hundred dollars for a complete unit was worth it.
It's obvious it's not. Just get the shafts made by the numerous companies out there that can do this and save yourself the grief. AVOID THE DRIVE SHAFT SHOP.

I had to move the car to the street to make room in my garage for the race car (upcoming race in Aug).
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2021 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man, this is really sad to hear. I had spoken with them a few years ago (never purchased) and their pre-sales stuff seemed really on-point. It's terrible that they are ducking you. Another industry was telling me that because of COVID, they had to reduce how much staff they had on the manufacturing floor, so their production was down almost 60 percent. I don't know how big the facility is for DSS, but if this was the case I would have hoped they'd just tell you.

I guess I'll start looking for another custom axle shop. I am just a few hours away from them, if they have Saturday hours, I can try to drop in there for you! Much harder to duck a customer when they are standing at the counter. lol
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks to hear about DSS... I'm semi-interested in some of their products. I have a pair of the Ecotec racing output flanges for the 4T65E-HD that also fit the Getrag when used with an intermediate shaft. DSS's 33 spline hub flanges for C5/6/7 Corvettes could work at the outer end once I swap to Corvette hubs. From there, just send the flange-to-flange measurements and they send back bolt-in CV axles. Sounds like a great way to spend $2000 to move the weakest link inside the transmission... but not if they can never deliver the axles.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Drive Shaft Shop in Salisbury NC is an absolute clown show of an operation.

Sounds a lot like another outfit on the <ahem> West Coast.
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2021 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Sounds a lot like another outfit on the <ahem> West Coast.

Add ClutchNet and that speedshop in Michigan that does ecotec builds and swaps and LF3/4 reprogramming... 😉
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2021 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
18 (or 23) weeks later, depending on how you count axles arw finally here.

Engine is for my other toy (c4 racecar); have to build the motor and throw it back in the car for a race in aug before I move back on the fiero.

[This message has been edited by RandomTask (edited 06-12-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see they showed up!

The paranoid part of me strongly suggests taking measurements/checking fitment right away (if you haven't already). So if something isn't right, you don't find out about after whatever arbitrary warranty period they have has expired (if they have one at all).

I haven't heard anything bad about DSS' quality, but this unusual production delay has got me a little twitchy.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished getting the race car together for the race next month; Fiero goes back into the garage this weekend to finish the driveline
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2021 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any updates on your project Mike?
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2021 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unrelated but cool none the less. B/W working on the race vette and the fiero amd two kiddos, I've been extremely limited for time. However when my buddy invites me up to Watkins Glen to do some laps in his 599xx, I make time. Unfortunately, right before I got there amd on his first session, he blew up his driveshaft and Ferrari didnt have a spare. Oh well, I was still gonna have fun meeting people and chexkong out the cars.

One of the guys in the (FXX) program whos a friend of my buddy heard what happened and offered me a ride in his FXXK... uhhh yeah...

Riding passenger: (Car is insane.... it makes my C7Z feel like a clapped out F150)
https://youtu.be/R_bWFLTuRJA

[This message has been edited by RandomTask (edited 07-22-2021).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unrelated but cool none the less. B/W working on the race vette and the fiero amd two kiddos, I've been extremely limited for time. However when my buddy invites me up to Watkins Glen to do some laps in his 599xx, I make time. Unfortunately, right before I got there amd on his first session, he blew up his driveshaft and Ferrari didnt have a spare. Oh well, I was still gonna have fun meeting people and chexkong out the cars.

One of the guys in the (FXX) program whos a friend of my buddy heard what happened and offered me a ride in his FXXK... uhhh yeah...

Riding passenger: (Car is insane.... it makes my C7Z feel like a clapped out F150)

Crap man,.... LOL super cool stuff there but I was really looking for updates on this project
I guess this gives me something else to look into.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Crap man,.... LOL super cool stuff there but I was really looking for updates on this project
I guess this gives me something else to look into.

I did get the axles installed. Car currently has no brakes (no rear calipers installed)... pulling up my driveway into the garage, car started rolling backwards.. went to press the brakes amd was instantly reminded why i was doing this... dropped the clutch and car lit them up with ease. Will be installing brakes this weekens.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2021 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did get the axles installed. Car currently has no brakes (no rear calipers installed)... pulling up my driveway into the garage, car started rolling backwards.. went to press the brakes amd was instantly reminded why i was doing this... dropped the clutch and car lit them up with ease. Will be installing brakes this weekens.

Tire pressure is low,
Cool
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2021 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The sound was awesome!!! I see he was braking way too early for the car he was driving. Lack of cojones or he was taking care of you! Either it was an awesome ride!

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm looking forward to your update when you finally go for your first drive.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

18 (or 23) weeks later, depending on how you count axles arw finally here.

Engine is for my other toy (c4 racecar); have to build the motor and throw it back in the car for a race in aug before I move back on the fiero.

I am a fan of the c4. In my opinion it is a much better looking car than the c5,.
PFF
System Bot
MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things are moving along with my 88 LFX/6T70 swap. I did quite a bit of fiddling around with making the cradle work. In the end getting the transmission to fit took a notch on the 6T70 web that interfered with the left rear suspension arm mount. Also the cradle driver side needed a big notch to clear the transmission. The right side of the cradle needed a smaller notch to clear a sensor on the frount of the engine. Then there were the motor mounts. But that's another story. I'm going to start my own post and provide more info.
MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You motivated me to start my posting on my LFX experience, still in progress.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/145321.html
frockfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frockfieroSend a Private Message to frockfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm starting this build next month and have a few questions about your parts.

Tone Ring: $130 (Xeometry)
Can you share the cad file for this?

Tone ring mount: $60 (Grainger)
Do you have a part number from Grainger?

Mounts: $400 (Linsells and est if you don't have access to a CNC plasma like I do)
What is Linsells and est? Can you sell the mounts?

Thanks this is a wonderful guide and makes me more confident on the build. I hope to see more LFX builds on here in the future.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frockfiero:

http://thelinsells.limitedrun.com/

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-27-2021).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frockfiero:

I'm starting this build next month and have a few questions about your parts.
[QUOTE]Tone Ring: $130 (Xeometry)
Can you share the cad file for this?

Tone ring mount: $60 (Grainger)
Do you have a part number from Grainger?

Mounts: $400 (Linsells and est if you don't have access to a CNC plasma like I do)

Thanks this is a wonderful guide and makes me more confident on the build. I hope to see more LFX builds on here in the future. [/QUOTE]

PM me your email and I'll get them to you. I also have a spare tone ring if you want; $50 shipped
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RandomTask

4539 posts
Member since Apr 2005

You motivated me to start my posting on my LFX experience, still in progress.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/145321.html

Awesome! Can't wait to see your progress!

I drove the car a little. It runs great for a minute or two, but it seems as soon as it goes into closed loop, it runs like absolute crap; hard backfiring. I'll start diagnosing in a couple weeks when the vette goes away for the winter.

On the flip, tons of other stuff going on. . . Trying to add this to the stable this weekend.

And rec'd the preliminary plans w/ the architect for the house/new garage. 30x40 w/ a 14' ceiling (yay having a lift!) Need to have taller garage doors to accommodate the trailer. . .

[This message has been edited by RandomTask (edited 07-27-2021).]

MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2021 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm plugging along with my LFX swap. But need to update my post. Can you recognize this connector on the LFX engine? it is 2 x 5 pin female and I forgot to mark it when it came out of the Impala. Any idea where it plugs into? Thanks Mike

[This message has been edited by MikesFirstFiero (edited 09-18-2021).]

MikesFirstFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikesFirstFieroSend a Private Message to MikesFirstFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured it out, that's the connector to the power steering controller. Which I cut off. I figured it out by buying a year's access to Mitchell1DIY for the impala. Cost me $30 to get complete documentation on the Impala's electrical and mechanical systems. Beats spending $475 for the Helm shop manuals. The Impala wiring is convoluted and confusing so getting good schematics really helps.

[This message has been edited by MikesFirstFiero (edited 09-24-2021).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the wiring is something I dread. Good luck.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock