1984 2M4 Won't go into gear while running by Fienix
Started on: 04-05-2021 02:34 PM
Replies: 3 (60 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 04-05-2021 06:14 PM
Fienix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FienixSend a Private Message to FienixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my manual 84 about a month ago and trailered it home. The guy I bought it from told me I just needed to bleed the clutch. Admittedly I have never worked on cars before, but that seemed simple enough so I thought I'd be on the road within a few days. I decided if I was gonna bleed the clutch anyway I might as well install a replacement slave cylinder from Rodney Dickman, so I did and have bled the clutch a couple times now. Jacked up the driver side of the car while doing so as I read this will help get all the air out. I also noticed that the clutch was replaced in 2013 by a previous owner so I would hope there are no issues with the clutch itself.

The shifter moves around fine when the car is off, but when the engine is running, it will not go up into the 1st gear position, and makes an awful grinding noise when I try to put it in reverse (I have a video of this if it's helpful at all).

After doing some searching around on here, I also took note of my clutch pedal being non-magnetic and sitting slightly below the brake pedal, not above it. So maybe the pedal is bent and I need to replace it? Or perhaps it's an issue with the cables?

Any help or advice is appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an issue discussed about one million times here over the last 22 years. Seriously (almost). The archives are overflowing with info on This topic.

If you aren't getting about 1-1/8" travel at the slave, then the clutch isn't disengaging enough. Sounds like something is bent alright, as yes, the clutch pedal should be sitting above the brake pedal. Besides the pedal itself, make sure the banjo isn't bent, and that the loop is in the "up" position.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-05-2021).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 281
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fienix:

I decided if I was gonna bleed the clutch anyway I might as well install a replacement slave cylinder from Rodney Dickman,
so I did and have bled the clutch a couple times now. Jacked up the driver side of the car while doing so as I read this will help get all the air out.
I also noticed that the clutch was replaced in 2013 by a previous owner so I would hope there are no issues with the clutch itself.

All good so far.

As Patrick said check clutch pedal and banjo. See here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...060206-2-062105.html

If there's a problem with the Master Cylinder a new one from Rodney with the adjustable banjo will be the fix.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-05-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh and don't forget some of the clutch arms are prone to bending too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock