Started on: 04-21-2005 09:45 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: sanderson on 09-25-2005 10:28 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
WORK IN PROGRESS...
New, the fiero clutch system worked satisfactory.
Now, 20 year old parts and simple wear from use is taking it's toll.
First we'll look at the mechanical problems
then we'll look for leaks.

The clutch pedal is the first part of the equation.

There are two problems that can occur with it.
Most of this has already been explained by Archie here www.v8archie.com/arch6.htm
(along with the step by step procedure for replacing the pedal.
I followed it myself the first time I did one.)
I'll ad-lib to it a bit, but this is mostly his work.

This is an aluminum pedal:

Notice how the "U" shaped bracket is bent to where it is closer on the top as opposed to the bottom.
When this happens the left part of the U bends in three directions:
Towards the driver, to the right and up closer to the fulcrum.

This causes two complications:
It now has a shorter stroke because the pin the banjo shaft fits on is closer to the fulcrum.
And the pedal pad can hit the floor before the master cylinder is bottomed out. A good sign of this is if you clutch pedal is not higher than your brake pedal.

The second thing to look for is excessive play from wear or missing bushing between the pin and the eye of the banjo shaft.

This is a steel pedal:

They are painted black and don’t bend very often but you can still have a problem with slop between the pin and the banjo eye.

You have two options here.
If the U is bent more backwards than up, Rodney’s adjustable banjo will help. www.rodneydickman.com/n90.html
If the U is bent up a lot then change the pedal, part # 66423 from www.fierostore.com

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-05-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
The banjo rod is the next part in the system.

There were two clutch master cylinder designs used.
First generation was cast aluminum and the line connected near the back 84-85.
Second generation was tube steel and the line connected near the front 86-88.
Both had 11/16" bore and used a similar banjo rod.

The left end of banjo rod is convex. And meshes with the back side of the master cylinder piston as it is concave.

There is a snap ring and washer in the back side of the master cylinder bore to keep the banjo rod and the rest of the internal parts from falling out.

Originally from the factory the clutch pedal has a spring that will return it to the up position. Pulling the banjo rod until it stops on the snap ring.

in these next pictures you will see a problem that I have found on every 84-85 that I have worked on with clutch problems.

When the pedal pulls the banjo rod against the snap ring there is slop between
the convex end of the rod and the concave portion of the piston.
The pedal can be depressed 1/4~1/2 inch before the rod come in contact with the piston.

The eye of the banjo rod can develop wear or (if applicable) the bushing can fracture and fall out. Causing the pedal to have to be depressed even further before the rod starts to contact the piston.

Add all of these up and you can have 1" of pedal movement before the master cylinder starts to do anything.

This would be a case where Rodney’s banjo rod would help.

While you’re there make sure the eye is pointing up.
This is how I remember which way it’s suppose to be.
(I’ll modify my thought process a bit to be politically correct)
imagine you had a basket ball in your shirt pocket.
If you fell over, you would just bounce around until you looked like the letter “P” laying on it’s flat side.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-05-2005).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
I will start with the first generation master cylinder (cause it was first )
We need to know the parts inside before we can understand how they work together.

I haven’t seen these parts named in any book so I’ll give the pieces names that are logical to me.
Starting left to right we have:
Bleed off seal
Bleed off pin (notice the shape of a nail head on the right side)
Spring washer
Bleed off cup
Bleed off spring & Lock
Piston seal
Piston

The bleed off seal is attached to the pin.
This pin assembly goes through the spring washer, bleed off cup, spring, and finally the nail head is trapped in the lock. The spring holds the sealing end of the pin and spring washer recessed in the cup.
These parts complete the bleed off portion. It allows the throw out bearing to float freely rather than maintaining contact with the pressure plate.

Although the bleed off valve HAS to function correctly for the system to work. Lets move on the real back bone of the master.

The piston seal is attached to the piston.
This piston assembly is then trapped in the back side of the Lock.
This completes all of the moving parts of the master cylinder. MINUS one important part… the fluid!

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 04-25-2005).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Now things get busy.
You foot steps on the pedal.
The pedal pushes the banjo rod.
The banjo rod pushes the piston.
The cup bottoms out in the master cylinder bore, depressing the spring, allowing the pin to float free.

The fluid starts to escape out the bleed hole AND the clutch line until there is positive pressure in the line going to the slave.
The fluid cannot over come the pressure in the clutch line because of the slave, arm and pressure plate.
The fluid stops flowing towards the clutch line and flows towards the bleed hole faster.
This flowing motion pulls the free floating pin/seal assembly against the bottom of the bore. Sealing off the bleed hole.
The fluid starts to pressurize the clutch line.
The hydraulic pressure increases as the fluid fights for an escape. Thus increasing the sealing abilities around the bleed hole.

Finally all of the fluid moves towards the clutch line.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
damn this flood control stuff...

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002

ok
que the peanut gallery

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
You guessed it...

Another write up coming soon.
I wanted to commit myself (to doing this project, not to a hospital)
Thanks to the learning curve from doing the headlight rebuild I wanted to be able to get all of the information in the first few posts. Like if something new develops.
So I have started the thread and grabbed the first ten posts to edit over the next week or so.

I’ve been hoping to design a good "pull" cable system for a while but haven't really gotten it off the ground, so I’ll just work with stock hydraulics at this time.

I used to rebuild hydrostatic transmissions. Always thought they were super cool. And enjoy playing with hydrostatic theory and math.

Did you know that Honda is in the Guinness book of world records for having the smallest hydrostatic transmission on their self-propelled walk behind lawn mowers?

------------------
Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
i will thank Todd from www.thefierofarm.com in advance for his help in suppling me with parts for the pics.

(nothing like being pushed in front of the bus eh?)

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

(nothing like being pushed in front of the bus eh?)

From the looks of posts 1 thru 10, you got slammed!
I hope there wasn't too much blood!
Jr. and I just did a clutch on Wednesday engine in the car.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Wise A$$ remark removed. Great write up so far. Thumbs up.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-22-2005).]

Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
a pull cable setup would not be difficult considerting you can already buy the arm and bracket off other FWD gm cars - when i bought a replacement tranny i had to pull one of f- i think it was an isuzu out of a cavalier.

then a custom length cable run next to the throttle cable - a little bracket in the dash going to a bolt that you drilled into the clutch pedal arm and you are done. ---

or you could run it outside the cabin - have the clutch pedal pushing a swing arm in the middle (pivot on one end cable on the other)
actually I like this idea more.. mmmm cable clutch

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Been putting a lot of thought into a cable setup. Evan have a plan cooked up for using a push cable that will employ the factory pedal, arm and mounts. I'll dive in and do it when (notice I didn't say if) my hydraulic system fails.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 04-22-2005).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Been putting a lot of thought into a cable setup. Evan have a plan cooked up for using a push cable that will employ the factory pedal, arm and mounts. I'll dive in and do it when (notice I didn't say if) my hydraulic system fails.

problem with a direct push-pull cable setup is you don't get the mechanical advantage (leverage) as stock on the clutch arm..

on the pull cable setups the arm is about twice as long as the fieros

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
a quick sketch of a potential adjustable setup
you would run the cable right where the clutch hydraulic line runs right now

EDIT: now you have goen and done it - since i would have to modify my clutch arm to get it to work on the 3.4dohc anyways now i'm thinking about just measuring and fabbing up a cable system

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 04-22-2005).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I was planning to use a bellcrank similar to what you sketched up. I like it.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
the more i think about it the more i like the idea..
I was also planning to put sealed rubber boots on the ends of the cable with lube inside - should never freeze up
and I was also thinking of doing a reduntant system with multiple cables like what you can get from a bike shop.. that way if one ever broke somewhere you could get a new one cut to length in almost anay town in america
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
brainstorming now!!!

i can fab up a bracket to hold the belcrank and the cable(s) that will bolt right to where the slave mounted..

i may look for a fwd gm pull arm - or just modify the stamped steel one i have..

then make a tranny bracket to hold the other end of the cable.. taday - could probably make and mount everything necessary in a day the first time around - maybe i should sell cable clutch kits

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
a high quality low friction cable will cost about 80$ but i need to measure length..
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Flip the arm on the transaxle over and pull it from the same side the slave cylinder pushes from. That will significantly shorten the cable. You could also modify the pedal to accept a mustang quadrant so the bellcrank wouldn't be necessary. The mustang quadrants are readily available on the aftermarket.

There are lots of places online that make custom cables.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
my thought was to leave the arm where it is and cut a slot in the socket the pushrod goes in to.
attach the inner cable to the bellhousing and have the outer cable housing set in the socket.
it would work simaller to our parking brake cable setup.

i wasn't planning on starting a thread about how to fabricate a cable clutch system, but what the hell...

------------------
Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Wise A$$ remark removed. Great write up so far. Thumbs up.

hmmmmm i must have missed it

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
When going to a purely mechanical (cable) clutch, how are you going to mimic the full travel of the clutch pedal that is now achieved by using hydraulics? In other words, Mechanically, 1" of travel on the pedal will result in 1" of travel of the clutch release lever, meaning all the clutch engagement/dis-engagement will happen right near the top of the clutch pedal movement. 'That', will take some getting used to.

I've also run into problems on 2 different non-Fiero vehicles where the firewall the cable mechanism is attached to cracked due to the stress on it. Had to weld the whole thing back in.

Good write-up Buddy. Lookin fowd to seeing how this works out.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-25-2005).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

When going to a purely mechanical (cable) clutch, how are you going to mimic the full travel of the clutch pedal that is now achieved by using hydraulics? In other words, Mechanically, 1" of travel on the pedal will result in 1" of travel of the clutch release lever, meaning all the clutch engagement/dis-engagement will happen right near the top of the clutch pedal movement. 'That', will take some getting used to.

I've also run into problems on 2 different non-Fiero vehicles where the firewall the cable mechanism is attached to cracked due to the stress on it. Had to weld the whole thing back in.

Good write-up Buddy. Lookin fowd to seeing how this works out.

there will be no more force on the firewall with a cable than with a hydraulic cylinder - and the clutch would release the same its just using flexible metal instead of fluid..

I wanted to use a belcrank for a couple reasons - 1 being adjustability, the other being that inside the cabin the car doesn't change AT ALL -- all you would have to do is replace the clutch arm ont he tranny with a pull arm.. bolt on the cable bracket.. pull off the clutch line and run the cable in its place.. remove the master cyll and bolt in the bracket with the bellcrank.. and adjust for a good engagement point.. done

doesn't get much easier than that

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
Lookin fowd to seeing how this works out.

a customer is going to be bringing a 1956 car back to me again for more work. so i am only going to have time to write up the stock stuff.

i have worked on many stock fieros and haven't seen a clutch that i could not get to work *yet*.

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Be aware that the "improved" steel clutch pedals bend too - I know of two examples. They're much better than the aluminum pedal in this regard, but they still bend...
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
To add...

All clutch Master cylinders = 11/16"
Master cylinder banjo rod throw = 1.5"

Getrag 5sp slave = 15/16"
Getrag 5sp slave rod throw = .75"

Muncie 4sp & Isuzu 5sp slaves = 13/16"
Muncie 4sp & Isuzu 5sp slave rod throw = 1"

NOTE: these are GM Parts (factory specs) in perfect working order
NOTE: these throws are approximate (rounded off) for arguement sake

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 04-26-2005).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

To add...

dont get ahead of the class

PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
guess i need to get back on this. there have been a lot of clutch questions this weekend.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
just a bump to keep it active until i finish it.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:

Be aware that the "improved" steel clutch pedals bend too - I know of two examples. They're much better than the aluminum pedal in this regard, but they still bend...

And on the dreaded aluminum pedal the "U" bracket that actually bends is steel. I don't think it's the fact that the pedal is aluminum. It just that these pedals are the oldest. Bent brackets can be bent back. Just need a decent size vise and about a 16" crescent wrench.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Buddy,

You're on a good track here. When we get around to the second generation master cylinder which in my eyes was a giant step backwards I'll chime in with some opinions

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock