Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Sat For 20 Years...Need Help With Diagnostic For Rough Running / Stalling (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sat For 20 Years...Need Help With Diagnostic For Rough Running / Stalling by CampyBob
Started on: 01-09-2020 07:28 PM
Replies: 54 (1031 views)
Last post by: CampyBob on 02-19-2020 06:16 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob, glad to hear of your success!
IP: Logged
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You folks are talking about a short rubber hose inside the fuel tank. I just looked at two of my fuel sending units that are sitting on the work bench. I didn’t see any rubber hose. The fuel pump connects directly to the “gascolator” with a plastic tube on top of the pump and then exits directly into a hard metal line. Was this a different set up on later year Fieros? The cars I’m dealing with are 88s and one 87. All V6.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

The fuel pump connects directly to the “gascolator” with a plastic tube on top of the pump and then exits directly into a hard metal line.

Are you referring to the "pulsator" which originally came on all(?) years? From my understanding, replacement fuel pumps didn't require this device... hence the use of the short submersible hose instead.

Found a good description and picture Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-21-2020).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you referring to the "pulsator" which originally came on all(?) years?

Yes. Thanks for the info. I’ll read through the linked thread.

CampyBob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purring like a kitten now!

The hole in the rubber hose is smack in the middle of the hose where it is unsupported by either the output stub on the pump or the steel line on the sending unit and is at least 1/4" in length. The rubber is obviously chemically 'attacked' now. Soft and squishy.

The ratchet clamps were still holding things together solidly and oddly enough had not bit into the rubber any at all and those clamps were installed tightly.

It's late in my life, but I learned a good lesson. NEVER take anything for granted when you're that deep into an assembly. Tossing sensors at a throttle body is easy peasy. Dropping the tank again...not so much.

I will license and insure the Fiero this Spring and watch all the young kids stare at it and wonder WTH it is! I've owned all kinds of vehicles in my life and I've always enjoyed small, under-powered sports cars that connect the driver to road. The little 4-holer Fiero will never be a super car, but it was always a fun car to get just a little enthusiastic behind the wheel in. I'll see if I can post a pic of it this evening.
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CampyBob

53 posts
Member since Jan 2020
This is my Fiero. There are many like it, but this one has been mine since the day it left the dealership. The front tires are OEM and in great shape. I had to replace the rears as they were not only showing wear, but they were dry rotted, cracked and the RR wouldn't even hold air. I'll keep a close eye on the fronts, just for safety's sake. The poor thing is still filthy. Time to get to work detailing the exterior. Spring is right around the corner...right?!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CampyBob:

The front tires are OEM and in great shape. I had to replace the rears as they were not only showing wear, but they were dry rotted, cracked and the RR wouldn't even hold air. I'll keep a close eye on the fronts, just for safety's sake.

Bob, please read what I posted Here. You may wish to re-think continuing to drive on those ancient tires!

The car looks great. I like the pin-striping.
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And yes, that red rear deck lid seen in the background is a GT w/spoiler/wing. A friend gave it to me many years ago along with a spare set of alloy wheels that match the ones on the car.
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CampyBob

53 posts
Member since Jan 2020

Originally posted by Patrick:

Bob, please read what I posted Here. You may wish to re-think continuing to drive on those ancient tires!

The car looks great. I like the pin-striping.

No slalom or autocrossing in my future! I reserve the last bit of adrenaline rush for my road racing bicycles. I try to ride 7,500-10,000 miles per year. I guess when you're used to screaming off twisty turning hills at 55+ MPH on tires only 23mm wide and running 105 PSI...life at 55 wrapped in a Fiero will seem tame! LOL!

The old Harleys in the background? The 1947 hasn't been ridden in over 30 years and the '77 Superglide went to Sturgis back in 2005, so not much speed on those old girls lately. Time to fire up the Superglide again this Summer and that, I know, will require me to clean out that carb with a set of wire drill bits in a pin vise like I did before heading to Sturgis. More stale, dried up gas!

The Fiero spent its last 20 years up against the wall the Cub Cadets are currently setting next to. The tire marks from its rubber are going to be on that concrete forever.

The pin striping is probably a dealer installed item, I'm guessing. The front stripe over the top of the bumper needs touched up. The interior is really clean for all that time sitting. I vacuumed it out and started to wipe things down and there's hardly any dirt or dust coming off. The exterior is another story. Totally filthy. It's going to take some careful washing and lots of time with the terry clothe and wax to get it looking presentable.

Again, I'm grateful there is such a thing as the internet and plenty of smart people around that are willing to help other folks out! If this had went down in 1985 it would have been more difficult to repair, I'm sure. And I'm pleased to know the Fiero has such a dedicated following still! In my area of Ohio the only Fiero's I see are totally trashed ones that are rotting away under a tree out behind a garage or such. Sad!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CampyBob:

No slalom or autocrossing in my future!

Well, my point was that ancient tires with hardened dried out rubber simply don't grip the asphalt... whether it's at the track or on the street. When I turn my front wheels, I want the car to go in that direction!
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motor gently through the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon!
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool insight from guys that were building these cars, we appreciate your work, Bob!

I wish I've seen this thread earlier as I had the exact same problem as you a few years ago and I could've helped a little - the hose to the fuel pump inside the tank was shot on my '85 2.5 and spraying gas inside. I believe I fought that for a year or so until I solved that and my thread for that was pretty long too.

I think I've seen quite a few of you engineers and workers register here and show some rare stuff just recently. Not much of that before, like you guys were hiding away . It's like a resurgence of some sort. Hope it does well for the Fiero legend!
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cebix,

I'll see if I can scan some of the old 1980's Polaroid pictures we took of the suspension gages we built for Teledyne Monarch, Entech and Pontiac. They were a very expensive package and way more complicated and advanced than anything I had ever seen used in the automotive / stamping level of production tooling at that time.

GM sure spent a large pile of money just to do dimensional measuring of press stampings and weldments! I'll put up a new post when I get them scanned and ready to upload.

As for the softened and split short hose in the tank...my fault for not being 200% thorough and replacing the whole nine yards. One little mistake cost me a few days, a few dollars in unnecessary parts and a second drop of the tank. Doh! Like I said, when I was into things that deep I just should have went 100% new parts. Shade tree mechanic mistake!

[This message has been edited by CampyBob (edited 02-15-2020).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be awesome! Anything coming from you guys that developed the car is very rare even after all these years!
CampyBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CampyBobSend a Private Message to CampyBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started the picture post about the gaging in the General Discussion forum.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock