Any value to original 88 GT Tires? by brownc00
Started on: 04-13-2012 01:39 PM
Replies: 29 (1051 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 02-08-2016 10:55 AM
brownc00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brownc00Send a Private Message to brownc00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad is replacing the 24yr old 18K mile goodyear's from his 88 GT. The tires seem to be in good shape, not dry rotted etc...but he's looking to actually drive the car and didn't want 24yr old tires on the car. Before he goes and pays to have them disposed of, is there any value in these? I'm thinking to someone who is trying to restore a car or something similar. Or, should I tell him just to pay the $6 a piece and have them disposed of? Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nevermind, first thought you meant the rims and not the rubber tires. I'd say most will think along the same lines, 20 year old tires shouldn't be driven on, i know i wouldn't trust them.
pay the $6 and scrap them.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-13-2012).]

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They would only be of value to someone who was looking, literally, for an "all original" Fiero. However, I suspect that same person would have a Fiero that is never driven, extremely low mileage, and sitting on original rubber anyway.

I definately would not want to drive on those. I say, let them go to scrap! I wuold not want the hassle to find a buyer, or the worry they may end up driven on!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 18-20 year old Goodyear Gatorbacks on my 88 Mera and they seem just fine. No cracks. Look like new. I bought them new and stored them in my basement for maybe 15+ years or so and just put them on a year or tow ago. If the rubber shows no cracks and they feel somewhat soft I would probably trust them. I have seen some tires that aged very fast and some tires that stay looking like new a long time. I'm willing to bet many old collector cars are running on some very old rubber.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will give you $10 each for them and pick them up on my next trip to Chicago. I drove almost 1000 miles on mine existing 17,000 miles ones last year.

Jeff
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the tires were properly stored off the car inside they would probably be fine. Mounted on the car without being driven much the belts could take a set. Once you start using them regularly they might have a belt separation. For a 100% original look they would make great show tires.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my GT40, it had been laying in a field behind a dealer since middle 70s (35 years old). It had their original big white outline tires. After I rebuilt it from frame up, I kept the same tires on it because you cant buy anything close anymore. They even had some cracks in them. I drove it with them even on the freeway. Didnt even carry a spare. Not that Id recommend it. As for your tires, you might see what you can get on Craigslist for them. Hey even $50 is money in your pocket instead of paying someone to take them. Even a used tire store might buy them. Ive sold tires to them before.
brownc00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brownc00Send a Private Message to brownc00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm not interested in running them, and wouldn't recommend anyone else run them. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing out some rare valuable pieces that someone might someday need to complete their restoration. Honestly, I'll get stuck selling them on CL and really don't want the hastle. I'm going to tell him to scrap them.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone with an 88 show car might like them. Mount them on a pristine set of wheels and put them on at shows. Makes cleaning the wheels for shows easier, and how many other 88's have original tires.
They're not worth much, but I would think somebody would like them rather than recycling them.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Someone with an 88 show car might like them. Mount them on a pristine set of wheels and put them on at shows. Makes cleaning the wheels for shows easier, and how many other 88's have original tires.
They're not worth much, but I would think somebody would like them rather than recycling them.

Yes, Exactly. I have two 88 show cars where I would put them to good use with out having to drive on them. With a spare set you just put them on & take them off for shows while parked in place.

I seriously could pick them up Memorial Day Weekend. name a price.

Jeff

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I have 18-20 year old Goodyear Gatorbacks on my 88 Mera and they seem just fine. No cracks. Look like new. I bought them new and stored them in my basement for maybe 15+ years or so and just put them on a year or tow ago. If the rubber shows no cracks and they feel somewhat soft I would probably trust them. I have seen some tires that aged very fast and some tires that stay looking like new a long time. I'm willing to bet many old collector cars are running on some very old rubber.

Tires do deteriorate with age but if stored correctly, they should work OK. The current set on my Fiero was stored for three years before installation and they look fine.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Tires do deteriorate with age but if stored correctly, they should work OK. The current set on my Fiero was stored for three years before installation and they look fine.

This is correct. I was the service manager at Firestone for a while. Several conversations with various MFG's said pretty much the same thing (could last for 15-20yrs). Storage is KEY though. However, with all the liability issues these days, most give them a 5yr shelf life (sell by date).
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most professional recommendations now say that old tires are dangerous, regardless of their appearance or how they have been stored.

There are several good reasons to avoid used tires. One is age. Acknowledgement is growing among the industry, researchers and government agencies that aged tires—regardless of their visual appearance and tread depth—can pose a significant threat to safety. The used tire market remains an unknown and unregulated source of aged tires. Tires age in a way that often cannot be detected visually. Oxidation of the internal components causes tires to deteriorate from the inside out. A tire that can appear new on the outside can be compromised internally as the material and chemical properties of the tire have changed significantly, increasing the risk of catastrophic tread / belt separation. Think of those old rubber bands in your desk—when new and fresh they are very elastic, as they age the rubber properties change. Stretching will result in cracking and they break much easier and more quickly then when they were new. Yet, age does not automatically disqualify a tire from the used tire market. Often—but not always—used tires are older than new tires and stored, before sale, in conditions that may contribute to rapid deterioration.

http://www.safetyresearch.n...brary/Used_Tires.htm

brownc00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brownc00Send a Private Message to brownc00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll send you a PM. Tires are bagged up and in the garage currently.

Originally posted by GTGeff:

Yes, Exactly. I have two 88 show cars where I would put them to good use with out having to drive on them. With a spare set you just put them on & take them off for shows while parked in place.

I seriously could pick them up Memorial Day Weekend. name a price.

Jeff

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last September a fella brought his pristine 5-spd '88 Fiero GT to the autocross track. This GT had 10,000 miles on it, and the original tires. The car looked fantastic!

I got to drive it.

It was scary dangerous.

The GT slid all over the place (on dry pavement). No, it wasn't due to my (lack of) driving skills.

I suspect the rubber dries out over the years and loses it's ability to grip the asphalt.

[EDIT] Just for fun, I thought someone might enjoy reading what I posted in the local Fiero club's forum after I had driven this car on the track.

Charles walked up to me and said, "Do you want to co-drive my car?" Excuse me, do I want to co-drive an '88 GT with 10,000 miles on it? Hell Yeah!

It occurred to me that the last time someone autocrossed an '88 GT with 10,000 miles on it was probably back in 1989!!!!

Anyway, as excited as I was, I was also terrified that I might possibly damage this pristine car. Putting it into the fence would not be the wisest thing to do!

It turned out that the '88 GT had lots of power, which was great, but it also had 23 year old tires on it with rubber as hard as porcelain, which was not so great. Combine that with shocks and struts which have deteriorated from sitting for two decades and all I can say is that the first slalom I went through was... challenging. I couldn't believe how squirly the car felt. It felt dangerous. Did that slow me down? A little... until the next run.

The next run I wanted to push it a bit more, just a teeny weeny bit. Bad move. I totally lost control of the car and nailed, not clipped, but nailed two cones. Worse than that, one cone wedged under the front of the car. It was with great shame and embarrassment that I returned to the starting grid with a bright orange cone wedged under this beautiful pristine '88 Fiero GT. Did I mention that this GT only has 10,000 miles on it?

Charles was very good about it. He didn't yell at me or strike me or anything. Charles is a fine man.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-20-2018).]

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brownc00:

I'll send you a PM. Tires are bagged up and in the garage currently.

If Jeff doesnt take them, i'll get them from you....... or even if he does, i'll know where i can find them

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,204.1 miles
87 GT custom______90 Grand prix STE Turbo_____2007GSXR 1000
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please excuse me for trying to revive a reeeeely old thread, especially since I haven't been active on the forum in a long while. I am still however FIERO-crazy, and my 44xx mile Indy and 88xx mile '88 GT are still my babies.

I no longer feel safe driving my Fieros even the minimal miles they usually get. The tires are in great shape, but they have teeny cracks all over the sidewalls: so I suppose they're only in great shape for display.

So, same question as above: is there any value left in these tires? Is anyone here on Pennock's looking for completely original rubber for an Indy and/or an '88 GT?

Also: could anyone make recommendations on modem replacement tires that look as close to OEM as possible?

THANKS!

------------------

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davikan:

... is there any value left in these tires?

Not for autocrossing.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 1, yes 1 year tires don't grip like when new, I have ran old (looked like new) tires stored off the ground, still had the nubs on them, lasted 1 week and tread came off. When you buy new tires learn to read date codes, you don't want tires that have sat on the self for over a year. But then again some stupid people want "all show and no go"
Cracks in the side wall = BAD,
Cracks around the tread line(like a ring between the side wall and tread) = REAL BAD, will separate soon

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 02-01-2016).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For any of you driving on 20 year old tires, PLEASE let me know where and when you plan on driving so I can stay away from you. Even if you can't see any cracks, they're there. The cords become brittle as does the rubber. If you want to risk your life because you're too cheap to spend a few hundred bucks on new tires once in a while, that's fine. Don't be so selfish that you would risk others lives. I have about 5 years and 20k miles on my truck tires. They look brand new but if I don't sell my truck in the next couple of years, I'll replace the tires.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it is Radar on here in FL. who runs a tire service center, he can give you rules of thumb on age of tires and how to tell if they are really as old as you think they are. I forget but we had a thread in OT about tire age and dry rotting.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-6-085880.html

For all you know these tires may not be as old as you think they are, they are all labeled on the sidewall as to many things and the date of manufacture is one of those things. If they are not dry rotted or retreads, they should be fine for driving around the yard to move the car around. If they really are that old, bring them into a tire store and have them look at them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tir...chpage.jsp?techid=11

If the tire doesn't have those numbers they maybe original, they also may be anything made up to 2000 as that was when they started making those stamps for age of tires. But a friend restored an old 65 GTO years ago, he was able to find redline tires that were new, not old but just made. Where I can't remember he got them, but they were not the original tires that came with the car, just reproductions.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-01-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

... a friend restored an old 65 GTO years ago, he was able to find redline tires that were new, not old but just made. Where I can't remember he got them, but they were not the original tires that came with the car, just reproductions.

Steve

I'm sure a lot of us here would be interested in finding out more about reproduction original tires. I'm not in the running for that sort of thing anymore, since I ordered EIGHT new tires yesterday for both my Fieros. My credit card is STILL smoking. :-( But, I will absolutely NOT go so many years before replacing the rubber on these cars - even IF they get the limited miles they do. I've heard too many stories about belts separating and ripping up beautiful, shiny fenders. Not to mention the whole safety issue.

Anyway, does anyone have specific info on the repro tire manufacturer mentioned above?

------------------

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've heard too many stories about belts separating and ripping up beautiful, shiny fenders. Not to mention the whole safety issue.

And that's just it.... "STORIES"

It all depends on how and where they were stored.

If they are "new", never mounted, where and how were they kept?

If they are on a car, where and how were they kept as well as what pressure and was the pressure monitored?

I found and purchased 4 NOS tires for my '62 Grand Prix that the condition was as they were when they were made and I ran that car at 70 mph on the Interstate.

I also found 4 NOS US Royal Red Lines for a '64 GTO I had. Again, no issues at all and the tires were as new.

My '88 GT has Goodyear Eagle GT+4's that I installed back in '91 or '92 that are still new.

I still have the original spares out of one of my '64's and one of my '65 GTO's. Both were used but neither have any dry-rot.

I also have some NOS Goodyear Speedway Red Line tires mounted on wheels that are dated 1972. Those are still as new as well.

And I'm sure my little dog that follows me around will doubt me but if I get time I'll take pictures of those spares tomorrow and post them.

Anyway, does anyone have specific info on the repro tire manufacturer mentioned above?

Contact Corky Coker at Coker Tire in Tennesee

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-02-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Allow me to add.....

No one is putting NOS tires on their daily driver and only a total fool would use them for racing.

But not due to condition. Due to cost!

Anyone going through the trouble of locating NOS tires is not installing them on a "normal" car, they are going on a show car of some sort. If those cars see 1000 miles a year that's a lot and none of those miles are at any speed.

I only drove my '62 Grand Prix, with its NOS tires, on the Interstate to go to a show 2 hours away. I regretted doing it. Not because I thought it was "unsafe" (because it wasn't) but because I paid dearly for those tires.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, same question as above: is there any value left in these tires? Is anyone here on Pennock's looking for completely original rubber for an Indy and/or an '88 GT?

Davikan
Are the tires from your Indy white letter or black walls. I'm looking for a pair of original raise outline white letter tires for my Indy for shows. are yours still available if they are ROWL?
Mark
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Last September a fella brought his pristine 5-spd '88 Fiero GT to the autocross track. This GT had 10,000 miles on it, and the original tires. The car looked fantastic!

I got to drive it.

It was scary dangerous.

The GT slid all over the place (on dry pavement). No, it wasn't due to my (lack of) driving skills.

I suspect the rubber dries out over the years and loses it's ability to grip the asphalt.

[EDIT] Just for fun, I thought someone might enjoy reading what I posted in the local Fiero club's forum after I had driven this car on the track.

10,000 mile 88GT?, Lucky guy...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just Stories? Maybe to you. I replace Many tires for work before fixing computers. I've seen damage first hand. Many problems are cause by low inflation. Low air makes tires flex allot more and heat up than design for can separate the tread and belts, blow sidewalls, etc. When you see truck tire tread on highway... many are cause by inflation problems.

NOS tires stored inside does not = any mounted tires.
Old stock never mounted could be fine but...

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:
If they are on a car, where and how were they kept as well as what pressure and was the pressure monitored?
Yes but on Car and driven then have bigger issues than just pressure...
Road damage. Most damage can't see until is very obvious or too late.
Contaminated road and parking areas. Example: Parked on dirt/grass can attack tire rubber. Worse when have used fertilizers, pesticides, etc.
UV and Ozone damage. Both are part of why you have to replace windshield wipers, Tires are just bigger and take longer to show.
Air to fill them is often contaminated w/ oil dirt etc. I've seen tires and rims rot from inside because of "bad" air. Small compressors are the worse because little or no tank to trap major moisture.

Back to Inflation issue... NHTSA AAA and others think most cars on the road right now have low air in the tires. Many are so low are functionally flat and running on sidewall when turning. Is why NHTSA wants new cars to have tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMSs).

Used OE tires then I would use them to get points when showing in Factory Classes. To drive any distance? Nope.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one remembers the 70s do they?

Remember brand new steel belted radial on brand new cars and the belts coming apart?

It can happen anytime. Nothing is engraved in stone that after so long or so many miles or sitting in some warehouse are they all going to explode. I have changed brand new tires that the belts separated on as well. But it can be the luck of the draw or day. I will look and see if I can find his number as this was about 30 years ago my friend had the GTO but thenit was also at that time what 20 years old.

Ayup found what he bought, maybe not who he bought them from.

http://stuccu.com/s/Redline...c614fc18091b&oid=290 92526323&caid=54667e71b1b1c614fc180918&device=c

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-07-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Remember brand new steel belted radial on brand new cars and the belts coming apart?
Yes, like Firestone 500 recall. (wiki)

I was at a commercial use trash dump and watched stores dumping Firestone recall tires.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Yes, like Firestone 500 recall. (wiki)

I was at a commercial use trash dump and watched stores dumping Firestone recall tires.[/QUOTE]

My dad had bought a brand new 73 olds from the factory, hey we both worked there and the tires on that after just a thousand miles or less the belts started separating it is a scary experience when they start moving and you feel that wobble all of a sudden that just got worse and worse.

Back to the tires we are talking about if you know the brand or better the brand and discriptions you may be able to find them new online like my buddy did back then for his GTO, they were redline tires and that was what that link I posted to was. I am sure with a little searching on the net you can find someone making those as well. I don't know what, Back when I was looking for parts you had to send for parts catalogs and hope they had what you needed, the idiotnet has the advantage to calling all over the country to find a part.

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock