Fuel Pump Rubber Coupler by 1988Formula
Started on: 04-06-2008 11:41 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Electrathon on 04-08-2008 01:37 AM
1988Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988FormulaSend a Private Message to 1988FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I am in the middle (as in right now) of replacing my fuel pump with a 255 walbro for my 3800 SC swap and I need to know if I can use the stock "rubber coupler and sound Isolator" (name in the FSM) again or if it won't hold under a higher pressure. It is the piece inside the tank that goes between the top of the fuel pump and the bottom of the tin lid on the tank. If someone can reply asap it would be a huge help as I need to put the tank back in today.

Thanks,
Dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I took mine out and replaced it with high-pressure hose. I didn't want to risk it leaking, even with just a stock pump. I have found no negative impacts from replacing it with hose.

Common name for that part is the Pulsator.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"
Live Help!

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 04-06-2008).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The thing about the old coupler, is that it is old. I blew mine out, doing the part of the fuel pump test where you pinch the return line off.

That was on a 84 4 cyl tho, and as far as I could tell, the coupler/sound isolator was nothing more than a piece of rubber fuel line. Didn't even have clamps on it.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I would replace it with fuel line and some clamps. The hose is getting old and could split.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced my fuel pump, I looked at that hose (aka pulsator) and thought to myself "you gotta be kidding!" The hose (aka pulsator) isn't reinforced. At least, mine wasn't. The plastic "snap clamps" didn't inspire confidence, either.

It now has reinforced fuel line hose with metal hose clamps.

My advice would be to replace the hose now, so you don't end up replacing it later.
1988Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988FormulaSend a Private Message to 1988FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Its all set and put back together. I'll post up some pictures later if i have time.

Dan
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
People seem to be confusing the pulsator with a hose. If it looks like a hose, generally having plastic hose clamps on the end of it then it is a hose. A pulsator has no clamps, is hard plastic and slips onto the pump and sender. It has lip seals inside. Some of the factory pumps used a hose, some used a pulsator. The pulsator is always the better choice over using a hose.

[This message has been edited by Electrathon (edited 04-06-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

People seem to be confusing the pulsator with a hose.

Probably because some of us have never seen that gizmo. Mine just had the hose.

If it looks like a hose, generally having plastic hose clamps on the end of it then it is a hose. A pulsator has no clamps, is hard plastic and slips onto the pump and sender. It has lip seals inside. Some of the factory pumps used a hose, some used a pulsator. The pulsator is always the better choice over using a hose.

Why is the better choice? Noise? I wanna be able to hear it run. What else does a pulsator do anyway?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-06-2008).]

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
From what I've read online it reduces noise and smooths out pulses from roller-vane pumps.

I haven't had any issues since pulling mine.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Click For Live Help!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon: People seem to be confusing the pulsator with a hose.

I thought it was kinda strange to call that little hose a "pulsator". Thanks for the clarification.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The Pulsator is a little flexible rubber chamber that connects the fuel pump with the fuel line. It was added to reduce noise and smooth out the flow. The trouble is that it is only slipped on the lines and uses no clamps. When the line pressurizes to 40-50 psi, as it gets older it will leak and you will lose fuel pressure. It is especially important to get rid of that thing when you do an engine swap and add a higher pressure pump. For a completely stock 2.8L it is probably fine but IMO it is a weak point and adds a potential problem area as the pulsator gets old.

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
My pulsator was the cause of my fuel leak. It split internally and I had to replace it with a piece of hose. It's gone in my car.
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
An easier way to understand what it does is to think of household plumbing. Have you ever heard a water hammer? Expansion tanks are installed to absorb the hammering that can happen in the plumbing. Pulsators are there to smoth things out in the fuel plumbing. It helps to keep a smoother, constant fuel preasure. Is it needed, absolutly. Is it mandatory, not at all. Many people are content with good enough. I have pulled hundreds of fuel pumps in the shop (GM had a lot of trouble with them a few years back). I have seen many failed hose lines between the pump and the sender. I have seen a few failed pulsators. Hoses fail far more often than pulsators, but both do fail. Removing a failed pulsator and replacing it with a working hose will definatly get a car back on the road, but is also not a proper repair. Just like in your homes plumbing. If your expansion tank failed, you can remove it. It will also work, just not a proper repair.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You can also get a new fuel pulsator at any place that carries Dorman auto products (the HELP! packages). They can order it if you ask for Dorman PN 55160.

http://www.dormanproducts.c...ange=ALL&vTime=47856

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-07-2008).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Why do some Fieros have the pulsators and some not? 99.9% sure I was the 1st person ever inside my fuel tank on the white 84, and it did not have a pulsator. Did 4 cylinders not get them?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Why do some Fieros have the pulsators and some not? 99.9% sure I was the 1st person ever inside my fuel tank on the white 84, and it did not have a pulsator. Did 4 cylinders not get them?

The 4 cyl injection system uses less preasure than the 2.8 system, so a pulsator is less important. Also, GM was cheap and did not always use one. It was a trade off of cost savings verses quality. I can't count the number of bullitens that came out over the years telling us to install pulsators to stop customer complaints.

The hose that was used in the tank is also a special compound. It seems like junk, but it actually was fairly high quality. If you use regular fuel hose in the tank it will deteriate in a few years. The factory hose lasts far longer. Pulsators use silicone seals, so they last even longer.

[This message has been edited by Electrathon (edited 04-08-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock