Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   343SC Spintech Muffler sound quality on the 3800 swap? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
343SC Spintech Muffler sound quality on the 3800 swap? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 06-30-2015 05:10 PM
Replies: 45 (2695 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-08-2020 11:57 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal 3800SC swap uses a 3" In dual 2 1/2" Out Flotech Afterburner cross flow muffler with two Heddman hot tip resonators. While the muffler is compact, non-restrictive and fits well it is very loud under any driving condition. On the highway you can hardly hear the radio. I was looking at the Spintech 343SC crossflow muffler that is roughly the same size 13" L and has the same configuration but am wondering if I will pick up any sound suppression by using it. Anyone use this easy fit compact Spintech and how is the sound? Anyone have a chance to compare the sound to the Afterburner?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a MagnaFlow muffler that has one in on one side and outs on both sides just like the stock fiero muffler is. It is very quiet at all times. All I can hear is my supercharger screaming behind me when I get on it. I can't remember the part number right now though
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just add a high flow cat or a resonator. Me personally I'm adding both along with the spintek muffler.
I can't stand the 3800 rasp or a loud azz look at me exhaust system.
All I want to hear at WOT is whine and at cruise nothing but my music.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Just add a high flow cat or a resonator. Me personally I'm adding both along with the spintek muffler.
I can't stand the 3800 rasp or a loud azz look at me exhaust system.
All I want to hear at WOT is whine and at cruise nothing but my music.

I believe the Spintech will be quieter than the Afterburner and I am using two resonators in my system and it roars. Can't even hear the radio. The Magnaflow is pretty quiet. I have heard it but I am not crazy about the fit. I like a 13" or 14" case for the ease of installation.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

I have a MagnaFlow muffler that has one in on one side and outs on both sides just like the stock fiero muffler is. It is very quiet at all times. All I can hear is my supercharger screaming behind me when I get on it. I can't remember the part number right now though

That is what I need! Flowmaster 80 so loud I dont use the radio!
AutoMarshal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
342SC which is a 3" in and dual 2.25" out.... sounds great.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/000156-4.html
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered a SpinTech Muffler today p/n 343SC . Its 4"W x 9" H x 13" L. According to the manufacturer, the muffler uses 6 spiral baffles in the case and this supposed to attenuate noise better than any other design while not increasing back pressure. The sound suppression has got to be better than what I now have. Even if it is 25% better, it will be worth changing mufflers. I will install when it arrives, reopen this post, and advise of the results.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoMarshal:

342SC which is a 3" in and dual 2.25" out.... sounds great.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/000156-4.html

How loud is this at 70? Flowmaster 80 is deafening. I see that we have similar systems. How's the heat in the trunk. PO made the bend a little different than you and the exhaust is basically at the trunk.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Just ordered a SpinTech Muffler today p/n 343SC . Its 4"W x 9" H x 13" L. According to the manufacturer, the muffler uses 6 spiral baffles in the case and this supposed to attenuate noise better than any other design while not increasing back pressure. The sound suppression has got to be better than what I now have. Even if it is 25% better, it will be worth changing mufflers. I will install when it arrives, reopen this post, and advise of the results.

Dennis please do! I have the same situation!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an Afterburner on my Indy's SD4 engine with 3-inch pipe to the muffler. Even with resonator tips - loud as hell.
When I changed headers, I also changed to smaller 2-1/2" pipe, with the same muffler and resonator tips. Sounds good now.

Just ordered a SpinTech Muffler today p/n 343SC . Its 4"W x 9" H x 13" L. According to the manufacturer, the muffler uses 6 spiral baffles in the case and this supposed to attenuate noise better than any other design while not increasing back pressure. The sound suppression has got to be better than what I now have.

Guts of a Spintek

Jones Exhaust makes a similar sized muffler. Sounds pretty mellow in video clips, but nobody's used one on a Fiero yet.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131937.html

Summit Racing carries them - single inlet, dual outlet, oval with 13" case
http://www.summitracing.com...jex-fb2583/overview/

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-01-2015).]

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you guys cutting your trunks with these mufflers or are you making them fit ?
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

Are you guys cutting your trunks with these mufflers or are you making them fit ?

A 4" x 9" x 13" case muffler will fit stock location.
This is Afterburner for my Indy compared to stock exhaust.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

PO of my car didn't cut the trunk, and I thank him for that!

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Dennis please do! I have the same situation!

The SpinTech should be shipped by the end of the week. Should have it next week and will install it then. Apparently the design comes from an aerospace engineer that found a way to limit sound using spiral sound baffles while keeping low back pressure. As I said it can't be worse than what I now have. That Flotech Afterburner is just too loud. Too many long trips will make you deef.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-01-2015).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The SpinTech should be shipped by the end of the week. Should have it next week and will install it then. Apparently the design comes from an aerospace engineer that found a way to limit sound using spiral sound baffles while keeping low back pressure. As I said it can't be worse than what I now have. That Flotech Afterburner is just too loud. Too many long trips will make you deef.

I totally understand the deef part. Cant hear the radio either.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The SpinTech should be shipped by the end of the week. Should have it next week and will install it then.

A 3800 S/C Spintech muffler build.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132292.html

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got word that the Spintech Muffler is due to be delivered tomorrow. I will paint it with high heat silver and let it dry overnight. I'll have the car on the lift Wednesday so I can plan to remove the Afterburner and replace it with the Spintech. You will have actual driving results and user observations by the end of the week.
The muffler is a 13" crossflow and has a single 3" In and dual 2 1/2" outs. As the muffler set me back $150. I am hoping for good results I will keeping the Heddman dual tips resonators that did little good with the Afterburner but maybe they will compliment the Spintech. We shall see.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just got word that the Spintech Muffler is due to be delivered tomorrow. I will paint it with high heat silver and let it dry overnight. I'll have the car on the lift Wednesday so I can plan to remove the Afterburner and replace it with the Spintech. You will have actual driving results and user observations by the end of the week.
The muffler is a 13" crossflow and has a single 3" In and dual 2 1/2" outs. As the muffler set me back $150. I am hoping for good results I will keeping the Heddman dual tips resonators that did little good with the Afterburner but maybe they will compliment the Spintech. We shall see.

Thank you!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you!

No problem . We are all on this forum to share in our experiences, ideas, opinions and to help others. The Spintech was delivered today, degreased cleaned and sprayed with a coat of silver silicone 1500* VHT paint. My first impressions is that it is a quality muffler, a bit heavy made of a decent thickness of steel and all welded together. Tomorrow I'm going outpatient for a minor procedure in the morning. If I feel up to it I will try to get the Spintech installed but if not I will get to it Thursday. I am as anxious to hear this the sound of this muffler as anyone. It is hoped that the NASA engineers design will in fact offer the noise cancellation characteristics as claimed.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started Spintech install this past Friday and went away for the weekend. Had to weld new hangar brackets in place and it went in nicely. Using SS muffler clamps so that the system can be easily repaired at a later date if need be, Only the driver side exhaust pipe remains to be fit and then we will start and drive the car on Monday. Will try to post some pics when I get back . Expecting better results than the Afterburner gave but we shall see. If its any indication before I installed it, put a loud radio on one side of the Spintech and did the same with the afterburner. The sound coming out of the Spintech was lower but his is hardly a scientific test.
Unless something unusual comes up results will be posted on Monday. Just for reference the Spintech fits fine with the heat shield in place and the trunk undisturbed.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-12-2015).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will love it!
I painted mine black as to "hide it" under the car. Can't wait to see it in silver.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Spintech installation is complete. The muffler is well made of heavy gauge steel, the fit is as perfect as the stock Fiero muffler is the sound is yet to be fully tested. There is about 1/2" clearance between the muffler and the heat shield and the same with the cradle. The engine seems a bit quieter than the Afterburner at idle but will need to road test tomorrow at local and highways speeds . Today it is raining so the car stays garaged.
I'll try to get some pictures up later but the pics posted by fierosound pretty much shows how it is done. The difference in my approach is that my install uses Heddman Hot tips resonators. Do they do anything? Who knows?
1/2"
UPDATE: Spintech installed as described above with adequate air gaps between the heat shield and cradle. I also added trunk insulation under the rug a while back and the trunk is cool.
Rain stopped and short 3 mile road test today. .As for the sound reduction using the Spintech over the Afterburner; it is noticeable but not dramatic. I would estimate 15-20% improvement, still better than before but for a diehard that refuses to cut the trunk and wants a factory type fit, , its probably the best that you can do. Still have not tested at highway cruising speed so the updates will keep coming.
Afterburner vs Spintech.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-14-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...As for the sound reduction using the Spintech over the Afterburner; it is noticeable but not dramatic. I would estimate 15-20% improvement, still better than before but for a diehard that refuses to cut the trunk and wants a factory type fit, , its probably the best that you can do.

I'd say most mufflers are designed with a Catalytic Convertor upstream in the exhaust in mind. Without that - it will be louder.

One of our guys installed a Spintek with his 3400 turbo engine. Exhaust ran the normal route of the Fiero V6, but without a Catalytic Convertor.
After he became aware that modern hi-flow Catalytic Convertors do not "rob power" he installed one to cut the noise. He's happy now...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-14-2015).]

Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to verify, Dennis is this the 4 x 10 x 15 sized Muffler?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

Just to verify, Dennis is this the 4 x 10 x 15 sized Muffler?

It is the 4 x 9 x 13 size. #343SC 3" IN dual 2 1/2" out
Its a small case muffler but the objective was to get something that fits without cutting the trunk, removing the heat shield and with 1/2" minimum air gaps on each side.. If I had to do it all over again I would still use this muffler but might route the exhaust around the engine (front to back) as the car originally had thinking that longer pipes=lower sound. Still the Spintech is probably the most efficient muffler with the softest tone in that small size case.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information Dennis. I am weighting the cost of a new muffler VS exhaust inserts. Could be the only real solution is to go to a OEM type muffler to get the noise down. I like the fact that spintech is smaller than the flowmaster80.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-15-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the information Dennis. I am weighting the cost of a new muffler VS exhaust inserts. Could be the only real solution is to go to a OEM type muffler to get the noise down. I like the fact that Spintech is smaller than the flowmaster80.

A Dynatech exhaust cone insert may most likely further reduce the exhaust noise but I am not looking forward to dropping the system again. Did achieve some improvement with the Spintech and further road tests may give a better idea of the sound under all driving conditions. It sounds better than the Afterburner.
AFAIK there is no OEM type muffler that will fit the Fiero (without modifications) except for the stock muffler that is a restrictive 2" In/Out deign. Until something new comes along at present the 13" /14" easy fit mufflers are the Spintech #343sc, Jones Full Bore, and Flotech Afterburner but adding the Dynatech cone (or better resonators) may just be the solution.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics of the exhaust setup assembled? I have the same Spintech muffler, 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets, but the way I have the downpipe constructed makes the muffler sit lower than I'd like. Just curious to see how yours is routed as I plan to redo mine sometime soon.

I've only got a few miles on my swap but so far the Spintech sounds great and not overpowering (inside the cabin that is)

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

[This message has been edited by Jfrost (edited 07-15-2015).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jones Exhaust does make a 'Full Boar Quiet Tone'. It might be an option for a more toned down sound.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Any pics of the exhaust setup assembled? I have the same Spintech muffler, 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets, but the way I have the downpipe constructed makes the muffler sit lower than I'd like. Just curious to see how yours is routed as I plan to redo mine sometime soon.

I've only got a few miles on my swap but so far the Spintech sounds great and not overpowering (inside the cabin that is)

My Spintech sits in just about the exact same spot as the stock muffler. It sits maybe 1/2" below the edge of the heat shield. The downpipe bend was made from an exhaust donut so the bend is at a tight radius. It looks very similar to the setup shown by Fierosound in this post. I can try to get some detailed pics later but need to raise the car on the lift again. Inside noise is noticeable but not quite as loud as the afterburner.

Jones Exhaust does make a 'Full Boar Quiet Tone'. It might be an option for a more toned down sound.

I don't believe we have yet to read user reports on this muffler. Who knows? I do know that the Jones Full bore mufflers are quite loud as I have heard them.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the Spin Tech (their web site designates the 311 c-ss for Fiero use) compare to the Flowmaster 40 series? I have the latter, and I really like the deep, agressive sound. I can hear my radio comfortably, but the rumble helps lock out some of the sunroof whistling.
I'll be taking my 86GT into the shop on Friday to have the front end binding checked. I don't know if I have sticking calipers or I just picked up a few tar balls from the latest coastal oil spill.
bb
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

I didn't see any that were the size. All 19"
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Q414E
2.5" X 2.5" OFFSET/DUAL - 13" BODY X 18.5" OVERALL LENGTH

Full Boar quiet tone.....
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Q414E
2.5" X 2.5" OFFSET/DUAL - 13" BODY X 18.5" OVERALL LENGTH

Full Boar quiet tone.....

That is a little larger than what I have, but I think it will work.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too used an exhaust donut but may not have angled the first 90* bend from the rear manifold up enough to tuck the muffler up high. Here is a pick of it installed on my last Fiero, looks the same on the current one.

I'm more curious to see the downpipe section if you are able to get pics as I want to rework mine as the current setup looks tacky, thanks!

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

[This message has been edited by Jfrost (edited 07-16-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is there a video of the Spintech on a 3800 Fiero somewhere, so we can all hear it? I searched YouTube, but couldn't find any. Was hoping a thread about the sound quality would end with some videos of it.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3800 sc car came from the PO with the stock 4cylinder single exhaust connected to a set of WC Fiero's headers. He had also ordered a single 3" West Coast Fiero exhaust system with the Spinteck single outlet muffler. He had never installed this setup because of noise concerns. I had the 3" setup installed about a year ago and the exhaust sound is definitely noisier. On cold startup, it is noisy but quiets down as the motor warms. Up to 60 m.p.h., it has some droning, but above that speed it is actually fine, and life inside the car is pretty pleasant. Only thing is, most of our local roads are two lane and we don't drive past 60 too much. This setup does have a cat installed. The 4 cylinder setup actually worked well in comparison to the 3" setup and was substantially quieter , without much if any noticable power difference.

Picture with cheezy outlet- still trying to find a better single outlet.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

So is there a video of the Spintech on a 3800 Fiero somewhere, so we can all hear it? I searched YouTube, but couldn't find any. Was hoping a thread about the sound quality would end with some videos of it.

If you can tolerate some gear grinding (cables not adjusted properly) and commentary from my gf I have a few of mine backing up and then an exhaust clip/rev when it was installed in my previous Fiero:

Old exhaust clip
http://youtu.be/h1kh9T1Mcp0

Start up and attempting to back out of the garage
https://youtu.be/B88Mw4hGI3I

Backing out of the garage
http://youtu.be/ABFBNICorDQ

[This message has been edited by Jfrost (edited 07-16-2015).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I have a walk around vid on my phone but no clue how to get it on here or youtube...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

I too used an exhaust donut but may not have angled the first 90* bend from the rear manifold up enough to tuck the muffler up high. Here is a pick of it installed on my last Fiero, looks the same on the current one.

I'm more curious to see the downpipe section if you are able to get pics as I want to rework mine as the current setup looks tacky, thanks!

I was able to get my Spintech muffler to only protrude about 1/2" below the heat shield. With a creative bend of a 3" exhaust donut on the head pipe you can get that muffler to higher up. The muffler is only 9" H and 4" W. The jury is still out on the sound.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Heddman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock